HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 08:37 AM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 500
DVD talks a little too fast but he's doing a good job this morning.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Team added more hockey because American programming was too much. They need to get rid of some local hockey and at the very least add some TSN radio or something.
Giving the hockey-mad Edmonton listener what they want without oversaturating things has been been a real balancing act for the TEAM since Day 1. I've always thought their local hosts should talk about Oilers/hockey only as long as there's actually something to talk about. If not, move on to other stuff. Even during the season there are lulls. Most of July & August are one big lull. The hardcore hockeyheads need to learn to be less offended (and maybe find some alternatives) when there's nothing going on and other sports are being discussed.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Giving the hockey-mad Edmonton listener what they want without oversaturating things has been been a real balancing act for the TEAM since Day 1. I've always thought their local hosts should talk about Oilers/hockey only as long as there's actually something to talk about. If not, move on to other stuff. Even during the season there are lulls. Most of July & August are one big lull. The hardcore hockeyheads need to learn to be less offended (and maybe find some alternatives) when there's nothing going on and other sports are being discussed.
I think it's pretty clear that they need the hockey stuff.

What else are they going to talk about? We dont have a major league baseball or basketball team, there's not enough interest to talk about lacrosse for very long, they do talk about the CFL for a little bit during football season but it's still backseat to Oilers news.

I'd take more discussion about the rest of the NHL over talking about the Blue Jays or the Rush or even the NFL.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:05 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Team added more hockey because American programming was too much. They need to get rid of some local hockey and at the very least add some TSN radio or something.
I don't think so.

I don't really care if it's American or Canadian, when they start talking about baseball (the thing more boring than actually watching baseball), I'm out. And I don't think I'm alone.

This isn't a sports city, it's a hockey city.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:10 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Yeah I tune out if it's anything other than hockey or CFL. I don't even watch CFL much but I'm fine listening to discussion on it. Basketball, baseball, Jim Rome's voice all make me tune out instantly.

I'm not a sports buff though. I think there are still a lot of people who listen to anything sports in this city.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:26 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

I unfortunately absolutely change stations when they start talking CFL. Yes, I follow the NFL.

I watch basketball almost religously so when they talk NBA, I find it harder to follow because they aren't that in-tune. I applaud the effor though!

Is it just me or has Rome lost his appeal? Almost unbearable to listen to him nowadays...I have no idea what it is, I was able to listen to his shows before, but it's been pretty awful the past few years.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Yeah I tune out if it's anything other than hockey or CFL. I don't even watch CFL much but I'm fine listening to discussion on it. Basketball, baseball, Jim Rome's voice all make me tune out instantly.

I'm not a sports buff though. I think there are still a lot of people who listen to anything sports in this city.
There is, but people still think this is a hockey only city. Yet for some reason their are numerous sports bars that are jammed on Sunday's and Monday's for NFL football, jammed when college ball is on, NBA is on, golf etc... The real problem is no one working for the team other than Neilsen or Gregor have knowledge in more than the NHL and CFL.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:58 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
There is, but people still think this is a hockey only city. Yet for some reason their are numerous sports bars that are jammed on Sunday's and Monday's for NFL football, jammed when college ball is on, NBA is on, golf etc... The real problem is no one working for the team other than Neilsen or Gregor have knowledge in more than the NHL and CFL.
They tried talking about other sports.

People complained.

They got fired.

Its much better now.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Lacaar

I'll freely admit. If it's not hockey.. I'm not listening in general.
I'll hear some CFL and NFL discussion. But if for say Gregor brings on some college football coach or whatever.. dial turned.

I've no time for other sports than passing interest.. talk a few mins of baseball if something happend, sure. Any sport if something really interesting happend.

But for the most part I'd rather hear about the Toronto Maple leafs than the Edmonton Eskimos.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:02 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Those people who cram sports bars for certain sporting events? You can measure them in hundreds. We're talking about a larger audience.

The CFL has a following for sure, but even that is clearly overshadowed by anything the Oilers do in this city, and not by a small amount.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:17 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
i love NCAA football.... and i mean i LOVE it... there are lots of other people like me also, more than you would think considering the NCAA doesn't have a presence in Canada... but i don't think for one second that a radio show surrounding NCAA football would garner enough interest to be profitable... compared to interest in the CFL, and especially NHL, NCAA fans are vastly, vastly outnumbered... radio stations go where the most fans are, pretty straight forward

Old
07-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
I have no problem with the ratio/allocation of coverage on the Team with regards to Oilers vs. hockey vs. other sports.

It's more that a few of the personalities bother me from time to time.

-Nielson is somewhat annoying but you can't deny the fact that he is really knowledgeable about any of the main sports.

-Fraser is listen-able but a bit too condescending for me, dismissive of callers, Nielson, guests, etc.

-Spector does not deserve to have a show. He never seems prepared on his own show nevermind when he calls into Gregor's show. Seems like a guy who is doing the bare minimum to keep his media pass and never really comes up with original thoughts on anything other than bashing different Canadian teams.

-Gregor is hot and cold for me. Hard to describe how I feel about him...seems to rehash the same topics over and over again. Some shows are good and some are super boring.

-I never really listen to the Team and night to form an opinion on Corey Graham's show but from what I've heard it kind of suffers from him doing the Oil Kings games (which he does a great job at imo).

-The best show on the Team is the Pipeline Show hands down. I'm probably bias because like a lot of you here I am big into prospects and the future of hockey but they get awesome guests, have great insight, and know their stuff.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:26 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
But for the most part I'd rather hear about the Toronto Maple leafs than the Edmonton Eskimos.
If ever there was a sentence that could burn out my eyeballs just from reading it, this is the one.

Talk radio is very much a subjective 'to each his own' thing and the posts in this thread the last few days prove that. Whether you like the programming on the TEAM or not, we sports talk fans are infinitely better off than we were when CHED (Bryan Hall) was basically our only choice. Imagine if local sports talk only came whenever Hallsy, Tencer, Campbell, etc., got squeezed in amongst all of the geriatric/RW news programs on 630. That thought's almost as frightening as the sentence I quoted above.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:01 PM
IBleedOil247

vCash: 681
As soon as I heard Gregor a couple weeks ago say "Grid Iron Show returns tomorrow..." I immediatly got pissed off. I cant stand CFL coverage...call me an ass, call me whatever you want, but CFL SUCKS. At least talk baseball or olympics or the upcoming NFL season. I will probably not be overly popular with this comment but I do not think I am in the minority here...

Old
07-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Coldhardmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
As soon as I heard Gregor a couple weeks ago say "Grid Iron Show returns tomorrow..." I immediatly got pissed off. I cant stand CFL coverage...call me an ass, call me whatever you want, but CFL SUCKS. At least talk baseball or olympics or the upcoming NFL season. I will probably not be overly popular with this comment but I do not think I am in the minority here...
Edmonton has a CFL team, it's the #2 sport in the city, and you'd prefer sports talk to IGNORE it?

Old
07-04-2012, 10:48 PM
Mr.Prez
Hai Kids!

vCash: 129
I miss Bryn Griffiths and Jack Daniels in the mornings

Old
07-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Gentlemen, you may not like it, but abootzky's got style.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Gentlemen, you may not like it, but abootzky's got style.
He's a producer for The TEAM so I should hope so.

I appreciate the fact that he's got the stones to come in this thread and discuss the programming, etc. even if I or others disagree with him on stuff.

Old
07-05-2012, 02:52 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
CFL vs Baseball in Edmonton? Yeah, I think you're in the minority.

CFL vs hockey? Absolutely not.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:08 AM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldhardmitch View Post
Edmonton has a CFL team, it's the #2 sport in the city, and you'd prefer sports talk to IGNORE it?
No I don't expect them to ignore it, I just ignore it and change the station....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
CFL vs Baseball in Edmonton? Yeah, I think you're in the minority.

CFL vs hockey? Absolutely not.
I think they can do a better job touching on MLB...Gregor does a good job talking about NFL (which is great) but in my opinion, the CFL coverage is brutal. The same 5 guests over and over talking about the same 8 teams over and over. I just cant stand CFL football so my opinion on the subject is just that...my own.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
If ever there was a sentence that could burn out my eyeballs just from reading it, this is the one.

Talk radio is very much a subjective 'to each his own' thing and the posts in this thread the last few days prove that. Whether you like the programming on the TEAM or not, we sports talk fans are infinitely better off than we were when CHED (Bryan Hall) was basically our only choice. Imagine if local sports talk only came whenever Hallsy, Tencer, Campbell, etc., got squeezed in amongst all of the geriatric/RW news programs on 630. That thought's almost as frightening as the sentence I quoted above.
yuck 630 monopoly. Thank god those days are over.. Us fans are just spoiled.. You give us 4hrs of Oiler talk, we'll demand 8. You give us 8 we'll want 12

PS.. I miss Meg and her random blonde moments

Old
07-05-2012, 11:24 AM
The Last Dynasty
We're in Hell men

Quote:
No I don't expect them to ignore it, I just ignore it and change the station....

I think they can do a better job touching on MLB...Gregor does a good job talking about NFL (which is great) but in my opinion, the CFL coverage is brutal. The same 5 guests over and over talking about the same 8 teams over and over. I just cant stand CFL football so my opinion on the subject is just that...my own.
I'm a big MLB fan but there isn't a whole lot of interest in talking about it in this city...no offense to Blue Jay fans, but who really cares about a Toronto team 3000 KMs away fighting to stay out of last once again?
I like the CFL and I realize that it's definitely #2 in this town so I enjoy when they talk about

Old
07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
The same 5 guests over and over talking about the same 8 teams over and over.
I agree. Some variety would be nice. Nobody ever talks about the Ottawa Rough Riders or Sacramento Gold Miners anymore.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:31 AM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I agree. Some variety would be nice. Nobody ever talks about the Ottawa Rough Riders or Sacramento Gold Miners anymore.
My point is over the summer months, this is really hard to take

Old
07-05-2012, 04:30 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
He's a producer for The TEAM so I should hope so.

I appreciate the fact that he's got the stones to come in this thread and discuss the programming, etc. even if I or others disagree with him on stuff.
A few years ago some posters around here thought I was on-air personality Jake Daniels. Thanks for the demotion.

As I've stated before, my only role with the TEAM is as an avid listener and somewhat protective watchdog since Day 1. I have a little inside info about what goes on there through a work acquaintance but since Bryn Griffiths (a friend of mine) got fired, that's about it.

Closed Thread