HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Montreal signs Francis Bouillon [1 year, $1.5M]

Old
07-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Mue

vCash: 500
Regardless of the cap hit it's a confusing signing.

The Habs already have 5 defenders who could adequately fill out the 5,6, and 7 spots.

Why add another?

An acquisition that filled out the top four should have been the priority. If they couldn't find that player they probably should have just went with what they had or explored some trade options.

Hopefully there is another move coming that clears this up.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Dandenault has retired already. Bouillon should have followed suit.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:43 AM
j52

New faces but same management philosophy. Small, slow, old, and a great passer of the puck to opposing forwards.
A high pick again for next year. No more Molson's products for me.

j52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
New faces but same management philosophy. Small, slow, old, and a great passer of the puck to opposing forwards.
Brandon Prust, Colby Armstrong ?

You're hopeless.

Vasculio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:17 PM
THE HOFF

Never understood the hate for Bouillon. He showed up to play every night, was physical , had the courage to take on tough guys , blocked shots ... he always made it difficult for the other team to skate in the zone and we need that. Weber can be a better ''hockey player'' in the sense of skills, but bouillon just brings so much more to the table , especially in a supportive role. So unless Weber is your GO TO guy on the PP, and that hockey becomes a non contact sport, you're wayyyy better off having bouillon penciled in the lineup.

Trotz and Poile have had only good words for him, and the memories I have of him here are all positive, he was one of the few to show he cared every night. He is a small guy with a big heart, and his Disney dream return here is going to be that extra motivation he needs to prove a lot of people wrong, once again.

Sometimes I ask myself if the unfounded, bitter comments on him aren't racists (picture a couple of grumpy guys from westmount that are saddened to see ANOTHER franco onboard)... some here seem like they could write a book on how bouillon isn't good ... but when you look at the arguments ... there's nothing to show for it... ''he can't pass'' is the best thing they came up with in 10 years, and it comes from people who venerate hall gill. hypocrites.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 07-02-2012 at 01:50 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by j52 View Post
With a post like that, I doubt you're of legal drinking age.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
With a post like that, I doubt you're of legal drinking age.
Or he has already consumed too much of Molson's product for his own good.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:04 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Dandenault has retired already. Bouillon should have followed suit.
Yeah, those 10 games he played in the playoffs last year sure are a great indicator that he has no busienss playing in the NHL anymore.

Cause...you know...anytime you have a guy playing defence for a team in the PLAYOFFS you know it means he should just retire already.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
Never understood the hate for Bouillon. He showed up to play every night, was physical , had the courage to take on tough guys , blocked shots ... he always made it difficult for the other team to skate in the zone and we need that. Weber can be a better ''hockey player'' in the sense of skills, but bouillon just brings so much more to the table , especially in a supportive role. So unless Weber is your GO TO guy on the PP, and that hockey becomes a non contact sport, you're wayyyy better off having bouillon penciled in the lineup.

Trotz and Poile have had only good words for him, and the memories I have of him here are all positive, he was one of the few to show he cared every night. He is a small guy with a big heart, and his Disney dream return here is going to be that extra motivation he needs to prove a lot of people wrong, once again.

Sometimes I ask myself if the unfounded, bitter comments on him aren't racists (picture a couple of grumpy guys from westmount that are saddened to see ANOTHER franco onboard)... some here seem like they could write a book on how bouillon isn't good ... but when you look at the arguments ... there's nothing to show for it... ''he can't pass'' is the best thing they came up with in 10 years, and it comes from people who venerate hall gill. hypocrites.
Good post !

+ Bouillon last year was the Nashville d-man with the second most hits behind Shea Weber. And he played only 65 games or so.

Last year, at the same period, I was concerned about the D. This year, I am a bit more comfortable even if I am not sold yet about Markov's knee and Kaberle's contribution. With Bouillon aboard, at least we have a vet who can play on a bottom pairing without problem and sometimes play with Subban. I am way more comfortable to have Bouillon than guys like Woywitka or Campoli. And IF bergevin could find a way to get rid of Kaberle, I would welcome another defensive minded d-man, a big one.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Yeah, those 10 games he played in the playoffs last year sure are a great indicator that he has no busienss playing in the NHL anymore.

Cause...you know...anytime you have a guy playing defence for a team in the PLAYOFFS you know it means he should just retire already.
Lidstrom played in the playoffs too

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Regardless of the cap hit it's a confusing signing.

The Habs already have 5 defenders who could adequately fill out the 5,6, and 7 spots.

Why add another?

An acquisition that filled out the top four should have been the priority. If they couldn't find that player they probably should have just went with what they had or explored some trade options.

Hopefully there is another move coming that clears this up.
Because it's what the Habs do best - lead the parade in landing 5th/6th/7th d-men and then scramble when Markov hurts himself.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:46 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
Because it's what the Habs do best - lead the parade in landing 5th/6th/7th d-men and then scramble when Markov hurts himself.
Patience ! In the next few years, they gonna have top talents on D: Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Bennett...

Old
07-02-2012, 03:58 PM
kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Patience ! In the next few years, they gonna have top talents on D: Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Bennett...
Some of these players are years away from playing in the NHL, yet alone being regulars. Yes, they're long term solutions, but this team needs some top 4 defensemen for next season.

kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
Some of these players are years away from playing in the NHL, yet alone being regulars. Yes, they're long term solutions, but this team needs some top 4 defensemen for next season.
Quite sure this problem will be addressed through trade if Carle and Suter dont sign with the Habs.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 04:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
Markov, Gorges and Subban are top-4 d-men. You need one only. No more. And even then, guys like Kaberle (paid like a top-four) and Emelin can pÓck up the slack.

Last edited by habitue*: 07-02-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old
07-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post

Actually, if you're a 36 year old middling defenseman who has struggled to stay healthy in each of the past two seasons (indeed, has played more than 70 games in a season only 3 times in his 12 year career because of durability issues), has had one of the least productive seasons of your career, and has seen your role and ice time diminish, then yeah... you might consider retirement.

Old
07-02-2012, 05:54 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Keep any language ******** out of this thread (and any other threads), discuss the player an the signing. Ad hominem attacks are not allowed either.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2012, 06:00 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Actually, if you're a 36 year old middling defenseman who has struggled to stay healthy in each of the past two seasons (indeed, has played more than 70 games in a season only 3 times in his 12 year career because of durability issues), has had one of the least productive seasons of your career, and has seen your role and ice time diminish, then yeah... you might consider retirement.
The guy played 66 games last season + 10 in the playoffs. He had the second most hits of all the D in Nashville behind Weber...

How many games has played Markov in the last three years ? He is the one who should had retired.

Old
07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
The guy played 66 games last season + 10 in the playoffs. He had the second most hits of all the D in Nashville behind Weber...
Here's the problem with Bouillon: he has to play that way in order to prove useful in any way, yet playing that way has led to being unable to play complete seasons almost every year of his career. Considering that I think he has been a borderline #6/7 guy for a decently long while now, and considering that I've seen our blueline struggle with injury problems in recent years, tying up $1.5 million in a 36 year old Bouillon seems like one of the worst ideas to date. Sorry, that's my opinion, and I'm not going to try so hard to change it because of a hit stat, a French last name, and some familiarity.

Quote:
How many games has played Markov in the last three years ? He is the one who should had retired.
You at least take a chance with players as talented as Markov. But where are you going with this strawman, anyway?

Old
07-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

I suppose Therrien really wants to coach him in the big leagues, if only for one year. There was an article about Therrien and Boullion. It was interesting reading.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Here's the problem with Bouillon: he has to play that way in order to prove useful in any way, yet playing that way has led to being unable to play complete seasons almost every year of his career. Considering that I think he has been a borderline #6/7 guy for a decently long while now, and considering that I've seen our blueline struggle with injury problems in recent years, tying up $1.5 million in a 36 year old Bouillon seems like one of the worst ideas to date. Sorry, that's my opinion, and I'm not going to try so hard to change it because of a hit stat, a French last name, and some familiarity.

You at least take a chance with players as talented as Markov. But where are you going with this strawman, anyway?
"... I've seen our blueline struggle with injury problems in recent years, tying up $1.5 million in a 36 year old Bouillon seems like one of the worst ideas to date. Sorry, that's my opinion, and I'm not going to try so hard to change it because of a hit stat, a French last name, and some familiarity..."

Hit stat, a French last name, and some familiarity?

Try experience and toughness... a rare combination in Canadiens land.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:40 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Markov, Gorges and Subban are top-4 d-men. You need one only. No more. And even then, guys like Kaberle (paid like a top-four) and Emelin can pÓck up the slack.
You only need one top 4 defenseman?

Please elaborate on this. I'm very curious...

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
You only need one top 4 defenseman?

Please elaborate on this. I'm very curious...
Think he meant "one more".

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:03 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Think he meant "one more".
K.. Didn't read it like that AT ALL.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote