HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Webs/Suts Rose Ceremony - All Ryan Suter/Shea Weber FA talk

View Poll Results: Do you think that we should trade Ryan Suter at the deadline?
Yes, we need to get something for him rather than nothing. 18 30.51%
No, he's more valuable than any return that we would get for him. 41 69.49%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-15-2012, 03:47 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
Sorry, yes they are 2 separate "rumors".
Where are they from?

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2012, 08:50 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
As the analogy goes, Ben is Ryan Suter, of course. Kacie is Smashville (local TN girl, not glamorous but solid; goes to the net and the hard places; a lot of detail in her game; not a passenger).
That sounds like Trotz's dream girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
You know, for a guy who is supposedly a silent leader, Suter certainly has had a lot to say this season.

Honestly, I think they are just tired. Tired of being called upon to play so many minutes, tired of the media hounding them about their future plans, tired of not having the correct pieces to win a championship, tired of being unable to get to the confrence finals much less the stanley cup. Honestly, I think Poile has made lofty and unrealistic promises to the players and the fans and this is the backlash of those promises.
If that one week in Ottawa made him tired of the media hounding him (because you know our media pretty much leaves him alone), he better think long and hard before going to a large-market team where everyone is reporting on what he ate for breakfast, rumors about which of his teammates is coming on to his wife, etc. I don't know about Weber but Suter seems like a guy who enjoys his privacy, and we give him that in Nashville. He's not gonna get it in a large market.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:58 AM
ILikeItILoveIt

The Final Rose

I dug into the archives of threads to pull out this oldie. As I listened to Poile’s press conference yesterday, I pictured him sitting in the back seat of the limo that picks up the jilted lover after she receives the crushing news that she was not chosen to receive the Final Rose on ABC’s “The Bachelor” Show. David was devastated by the suddenness of the rejection, when he thought “they had a connection”. How could he do this to me when all along he told me I was “the one”? My particular favorite portion of the comments came when David referred to “his notes” from their November meeting when Ryan looked into his eyes and said, “I plan to sign a long term deal with Nashville”. A 30 year GM veteran was reduced to near tears by the betrayal 7 months later. He clicked down the list of Ryan’s requirements and met them all with flying colors. He stuck with him when he could have given him an ultimatum either at the beginning of the season of at the trade deadline, or at the FA deadline. In all 3 cases, he chose not to because he felt he knew Ryan’s heart and in the end, he would rush into Poile’s arms. The site of Ryan down on one knee offering the Final Rose to Craig Leopold, and Craig accepting, followed by Poile’s limo disappearing into Neverneverland, was a tear jerking conclusion to this Prime time soap opera. Too bad there’s no “After the Rose” studio show where they bring back the players to talk about the behind-the-scenes stuff and the current status of the “hurt”.

I put these comments in this old thread because this episode is more about human drama than hockey. In the end, this was about emotion, inability to confront reality, and heartbreak. It was more like The Bachelor than it was Hockey Business.

David Poile represented all that is good and righteous in a man. Honest to a fault, David trusted what he thought were Ryan’s motives and requirements for a long term relationship. He remained optimistic, not as a ploy, but out of true belief in Suter. He views Nashville as an ideal place for Ryan and his family. He maintains high standards of conduct (see Rads/AK46 affair) and does “the right thing” in a world of rationalization and permissiveness. Ryan is a quiet, righteous guy who did the right things, worked hard, and kept a relatively low profile. Some say Suter played Poile. I think not. There is a “Gomer Pyle” innocence about David that can be taken advantage of (see Rads), but that’s not what happened here.
Ryan Suter is much like Poile. Honest, hard working, almost old school in his values. This is one of the reasons David trusted Ryan. In Bachelor terms, there was “a connection”. Suter is a Pleaser. He behaves in life like he plays on the ice. He’s cool, calm, no drama, and efficient. He doesn’t argue much, doesn’t get in teammates faces, and is more of a mediator. As a hockey player, Ryan loved the Preds, his teammates, and the coaching staff. If his decision was merely a hockey decision, Ryan would have likely stayed. My theory is Ryan was pulled in several directions by different factions, all important people to him. His wife liked Nashville, but grew up in Minnesota. She has family there. All things being equal, she’d rather live near family. A hockey wife is a lonely existence. The support of family when hubby is off on a road trip makes life much better. While his wife was not going to demand he move to MN, I’m sure Ryan knew that’s where she would rather be. Ryan’s hockey family (Dad, Uncles, etc) is well known and “old school”. They appreciate Ryan’s ascension in Nashville, but it’s still a small market, non-traditional place. The hockey blue-bloods belong in hockey places like Detroit or “The State of Hockey” in Minnesota. While they were not going to dictate his choice, Ryan probably knew they’d rather see him in a traditional hockey market, closer to home, where its cold most of the time and more ordinary people appreciate the greatness of a “Suter”.

A 3rd factor was friendship and social life. Turns out, Ryan’s BFF was not Shea Weber. It was Zach Parise. Sounds like Zach’s wife and Suter’s wife are also BFFs. This became a lethal combination in the background. The wives dreamed of setting up house near each other, having their kids play together, and having a social life where these two couples interacted like family. Zach appeared more openly passionate about returning “home” than Suter. Zach and Ryan had been texting like teenagers throughout these last few weeks. As the Wild stepped up to the plate, it was all falling into place. Zach, his wife, Ryan’s wife and family, plus Suter’s agent were all growing in excitement as the Wild agreed to give everyone what they desired.
Meanwhile, Ryan, The Pleaser, went along with all this. Everyone was about to get what they wanted, but it meant Ryan had to make “the toughest phone call of my life”. Why? Because Ryan knew he never confronted the reality of this process with the Preds and David Poile. He kept giving them the canned comments and the conditions by which he would stay. Maybe he secretly hoped Poile would let him off the hook by not meeting all his wishes. No such luck. Poile went overboard at the Trading Deadline, partly to improve the Preds chances of winning the Cup, and partly to show Ryan he was doing what he had requested. The whole Rads fiasco may not have ever happened had it not been for the need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the commitment the Preds had to winning so Ryan would sign. Why else give the Proven Liar Rads receive the “get-out-of-having-to-play-a-whole-NHL-season-to-fulfill-his-contract-and-become-an-RFA” card. So, Ryan leads Poile to think he’ll stay under certain conditions. Poile meets all the conditions. Meanwhile, Ryan knows the other desires of his wife, family, and BFF. He’s in a box. Because of his non-confrontational personality, rather than confront the truth, be straight with the Preds concerning the conditions they could not control, and give them an opportunity to either keep him and hope, or trade him, Ryan allowed everyone to go along thinking they knew what was going to happen. He probably secretly hoped somebody would do something to make it easier on him. Maybe Zach would stay in NJ. Maybe the Preds would back off as the money got crazy. Maybe his wife or family would lay off the passive-aggressive pressure and truly allow him to make the best hockey decision for himself and they would adjust. None of those things happened.

In the end, Ryan The Pleaser got caught in the trap that all Pleasers find themselves in: There’s no way out of this without hurting someone, hence the “toughest phone call he ever had to make”. Ryan didn’t “play” David; however, he wasn’t entirely honest with him either. He should have confronted the desires of his wife, family, and friends, decided what his goal was, and then been honest with DP that while he may decide to stay in Nashville, there are circumstances that Poile cannot control that could drive him somewhere else. This would have allowed David to confront the brutal truth that if he plays Suter for the entire season, and doesn’t trade either him or his rights, he could end up with nothing. Poile knew that was a possible outcome, but stuck with Suter based on false incomplete information from Suter and too much hope. Poile was haunted by his decision not to match an offer sheet on Scott Stevens when he GM’d the Caps, and regretted it ever since. He stood helplessly as he couldn’t offer Hartnell or Kimmo the money they needed to stay in Nashville. Now he finally had the money backing, and the experience of letting a top-Flight D-Man slip thru his fingers, and he wasn’t about to let it happen again. This was more than business for David. This became as much about him as it was about Ryan and the Preds. He would finally exorcise the demon that’s haunted him for decades. Hence his inability to hide his devastation in yesterday’s press conference.

The combination of a determined, trusting, honest, sincere, and resourceful Poile and a non-confrontational, humble, no-waves, Pleaser in Suter made for a bitter end to Suter’s career in Nashville. Like a guy torn between two lovers, one favored by his family and friends and the other who did everything right and deserved better, Ryan took the route that pleased the majority of the people, as all Pleasers do. I believe Ryan was comfortable in Nashville and would have rather stayed if he could have pleased his family and friends. If Zach decided to come to Nashville, that would have covered two out of the three constituencies. But unlike Ryan, Zach had a clear desire to get back to his hometown. He was assertive and helped drive the more passive Suter with him. You can imagine the pain Suter felt telling Poile he lost. Ryan knew David trusted him and made decisions based on the assumption he would stay. It probably ate at him all thru this process, hoping that somehow it wouldn’t come to this, until it did.

So now what? Like all jilted lovers driving away in the backseat of the limo, licking his wounds, David will not let his heart be broken again. There is only one greater love for Poile than Ryan Suter, and that’s Captain Shea Weber. Losing Suter is a punch to the gut. It hurts, takes your breath away, and shocks you. Losing Weber and getting nothing in return is finding out you have Pancreatic Cancer. It’s a death sentence. It has to be avoided. David needs to shed his Gomer Pyle, “shazahm” mentality, and ask Shea to man-up. Shea has likely been on the inside of the Suter sweepstakes and feels some of the same rejection Poile feels. The question is: does Shea view himself as a Pred or more like Suter? Is it all about what’s best for Shea, or does he feel true responsibility for leadership in this organization. Regardless, David needs to deal with reality sooner this time. Mr. no-ultimatum’s needs to give Shea an ultimatum. We want/need you, and will make you the highest paid D-man in the game and sign you for 13 years. Here’s the offer. Take it and we’ll live happily ever after. If you decide you’d rather do the wait-and-see of a one year contract, honestly not knowing where it will take you and therefore possibly still be willing to sign long term at the end of next year, than its trade time now. We can get max Weber-value now in this everybody-needs-a-Dman world, never mind the best in the game. Nash, Ryan, blah-blah-blah, the world is our oyster. Shea has to understand this.

Rinne and Suter are two perfect examples of reality. Rinne wanted to stay, didn’t have to give up money to do it, but did it before it became a game. Suter made it a game because deep down he knew he may not be able to stay. Shea needs to choose now. If he has an ounce of respect for Poile, he’ll step up, say exactly what he wants, and if David gives it to him, he signs. If he’s having Suter-itis, than man-up, say it ain’t a sure thing his coming back so do what you may, and let Poile make the decision with all the cards on the table.
As a fan base, we just grew up. We were rejected by one of our own, after offering him everything we had. Some say it’s a business and Sutes earned the right o make his decision. They are right. However, he didn’t earn the right to deceive us, and that’s what he did. Not by outright lying to us, Pleasers don’t do that. They commit sins of omission and aversion. Ryan knows what he did, which is why this was hard on him. We struggled to believe in him all year when the less-emotional-of-us kept saying he was going to screw us over. They were right but not in the devious way they portrayed. Ryan deceived himself, let everyone push and pull at him, didn’t have the resolve to take control and be straight with everyone involved, and therefore turned what should have been a business transaction into a heart-wrenching TV Reality Show.

Down to the Final Three Bachelors, we didn’t get the rose. That conniving, back-stabbing, cut-and-run s-bag Craig Leopold got the dang rose. Like on the show, when the evil, manipulating bachelor wins out, it usually ends in failure. They never live happily ever after, and regret sinks in. As Pred fans, we have a new passion. That the Wild NEVER make the playoffs for the next 13 years and Ryan lives in sub-zero Hell in those clownish green sweaters with an owner saddled with two contracts he’ll live to regret.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:29 PM
lstcyr

ILikeItILoveIt, that posting was fantastic. I can honestly believe that might be what happened. And it makes so much sense. Still don't like it but I can understand it.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:07 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The thing that gets me is Suter had Poile and the Predators jumping through hoops to let him know they are serious about winning because that was Suter's only worry according to Suter, not money, not location, only the commitment to winning which Poile showed at the trade deadline making some very aggressive moves for a true shot at the championship.

Poile held up his end, Suter didn't. Benedict, more like beenadick

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Top 6 Spaling

ILIILI, you write way too well to be on a message board. Go make a book or something

Seriously, just amazing stuff. And probably very true as well.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
The thing that gets me is Suter had Poile and the Predators jumping through hoops to let him know they are serious about winning because that was Suter's only worry according to Suter, not money, not location, only the commitment to winning which Poile showed at the trade deadline making some very aggressive moves for a true shot at the championship.

Poile held up his end, Suter didn't. Benedict, more like beenadick
really ? ... Radulov (which everyone in the know, knew he was trying to kill off the final year of his rfa status - signed in KHL for 4 years), AK (2nd rounder)(in 5 full seasons ... hasn't scored 30 - UFA this summer), Gill (& a conditional fifth-round draft pick in 2013 to the Nashville Predators for Blake Geoffrion, Robert Slaney and a second-round draft pick in 2012.) & Gaustad (never scored 20 in his career (excluding CHL)) & a 4th for our 1st

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarding Assets View Post
really ? ... Radulov (which everyone in the know, knew he was trying to kill off the final year of his rfa status - signed in KHL for 4 years), AK (2nd rounder)(in 5 full seasons ... hasn't scored 30 - UFA this summer), Gill (& a conditional fifth-round draft pick in 2013 to the Nashville Predators for Blake Geoffrion, Robert Slaney and a second-round draft pick in 2012.) & Gaustad (never scored 20 in his career (excluding CHL)) & a 4th for our 1st
No other team did more at the deadline. Poile did everything he could.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
No other team did more at the deadline. Poile did everything he could.
0 SCF appearance in 30 years time ... I believe that was McPhee's team that got whitewashed by the Wings in '97-'98

Old
07-05-2012, 03:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

The point is, Poile was aggressive and did things to show they were serious about winning. You can twist it however you want but go back and look at the trade deadline threads, Nashville was on everyones list of most improved teams at the deadline. They needed scoring and penalty killing and they addressed both as best they could at the deadline.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:07 PM
The 29th Pick
Release Space Junk

I read Shea was surprised Suter left Nashville, hope you guys hang on to Shea...he's the real deal.
And how cool would it be if the Devils and Preds met in next years SCF....that would be the ultimate, and I wouldnt mind losing to a team like yours.
Good Luck next season

The 29th Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:08 PM
AEM6729

That's exactly what I think happened: Suter is a ***** (rhymes with wussy). Simple as that.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:30 PM
luckofirish8

Quote:
However, he didn’t earn the right to deceive us, and that’s what he did. Not by outright lying to us, Pleasers don’t do that. They commit sins of omission and aversion. Ryan knows what he did, which is why this was hard on him. We struggled to believe in him all year when the less-emotional-of-us kept saying he was going to screw us over. They were right but not in the devious way they portrayed.
Whether he intended to or not is in question, but Ryan Suter played us. By choice or circumstance...only Ryan knows.

He's gone and when the sun came up this morning the Nashville Predators were still alive and kicking. I thank him for his service as a Pred, but he isn't one anymore. So, we'll see him again on December 1st.

luckofirish8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Queensdevil

This type of ******** that goes on in FA is the exact thing that completely turned me off from the nba. No loyalty anymore and it's sickening, money talks. With both of these ******** (parise and suter) it was just pure deceit and betrayal. The both of them were giving the organizations and fans lip service when this whole thing was premeditated. Imagine your ****ing captain you're battling with in the SCF plotting the whole time his escape from the team. Apparently JP Parise told somebody at the draft there was "no chance" of him resigning in NJ yet what did we hear up until news broke he was gone....?

I'm only posting this here because it is identical to what you guys are going through. We were both absolutely played by these two douches and I'm sick over it. Here's to hoping you guys do your part in keeping them out of the playoffs in the west for a number of years. You're welcome on our boards anytime.

Queensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:23 PM
INDhockeyfan

ILIILI that has to be the best post ever. That is exactly what happened. Suter is a pleaser who hoping for a way out and couldn't tell Poile or Weber it seems that it was a real possibility that he wouldn't sign. I think Suter leaving makes Weber take a look at what he really wants. He wanted Suter to sign so he wouldn't have to make a tough decision. He put off the long term contract and only did 1 yr knowing he'd be an RFA and put Suter on the hot spot. I do think that Weber will tell Poile his intentions. He got hurt by Suter as well and I don't think he wants to do that to Poile or the team either. What if Weber only wants a 5 yrs contract? Lots to be decided and it will be.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:27 PM
predfan98

no freaking way. suter doesn't get some bs pass as a people pleaser.

he's a ...................

KFAN1003 ‏@KFAN1003
Parise gives Ryan Suter credit for coming up with the idea of them both signing with the #MnWild: "I thought it was a great idea."

and anybody thinking Weber will be fair.........just look at what happened with him and his last minute switch to that agent last year, and the result.....dream on

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:01 PM
ILikeItILoveIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

KFAN1003 ‏@KFAN1003
Parise gives Ryan Suter credit for coming up with the idea of them both signing with the #MnWild: "I thought it was a great idea."

and anybody thinking Weber will be fair.........just look at what happened with him and his last minute switch to that agent last year, and the result.....dream on
If Zach is telling the truth, then Suter is less of a passive victim of the situation and more a manipulative wuss. Plants the idea with Parise, then sits back and watches the fun as everybody falls all over themselves trying to win over him and his boy-toy. I've tried to be a seasoned sports fan and chalk this up to "boys will be boys" in pro sports, but I've grown to hate Suter and his aw-sucks persona. He's Lebron without the rap production company behind him. The Farm boy from Wisconsin got his, and left the franchise that made him what he was with nothing. He may have his money, but his rep has taken a hit here. His innocence is gone. He's a selfish wolf in a green sheep's reebok jersey.

I'm afraid the era of selfish players has past DP by. He and Trotz live by an old school code that doesn't exist any more. They are fighting via Marques of Queens-berry rules while the Rads, AK46, and Suters of the world kick them in the groin and run. I can almost handle our Russian pair easier. They are who we thought they were, bad guys. Suter is the worst, though. He sells himself as the all-American boy from the farm, lovin' the sport and just glad to be here. Instead he weaved his web of deceit while being in denial about it the whole time.

As pissed as I am with David "Gomer" Poile for being taken, at least he's honest and sincere. He woke up this morning knowing he tried to do right with someone whom he thought was honest. Suter wakes up this morning $98mm richer but with less dignity. He sold Weber and Rinne and Trotz and Poile down the river and he knows it. It's going to be fun watching him and Leopold lose. Suter will get his wish of spending more time with family because he'll be available every year right after the regular season is done.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:10 PM
JR303

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
If Zach is telling the truth, then Suter is less of a passive victim of the situation and more a manipulative wuss. Plants the idea with Parise, then sits back and watches the fun as everybody falls all over themselves trying to win over him and his boy-toy. I've tried to be a seasoned sports fan and chalk this up to "boys will be boys" in pro sports, but I've grown to hate Suter and his aw-sucks persona. He's Lebron without the rap production company behind him. The Farm boy from Wisconsin got his, and left the franchise that made him what he was with nothing. He may have his money, but his rep has taken a hit here. His innocence is gone. He's a selfish wolf in a green sheep's reebok jersey.

I'm afraid the era of selfish players has past DP by. He and Trotz live by an old school code that doesn't exist any more. They are fighting via Marques of Queens-berry rules while the Rads, AK46, and Suters of the world kick them in the groin and run. I can almost handle our Russian pair easier. They are who we thought they were, bad guys. Suter is the worst, though. He sells himself as the all-American boy from the farm, lovin' the sport and just glad to be here. Instead he weaved his web of deceit while being in denial about it the whole time.

As pissed as I am with David "Gomer" Poile for being taken, at least he's honest and sincere. He woke up this morning knowing he tried to do right with someone whom he thought was honest. Suter wakes up this morning $98mm richer but with less dignity. He sold Weber and Rinne and Trotz and Poile down the river and he knows it. It's going to be fun watching him and Leopold lose. Suter will get his wish of spending more time with family because he'll be available every year right after the regular season is done.
If there is any justice in this world, yes.

Well-said, I've been to irritated about it to post rationally.

I think that more facts that come out, we're going to see a whole new Suter than we were accustomed to. Or maybe we saw it, we just didn't want to accept it. I've always thought that some of his attitude about Trotz' non-game situations were divisive, but was hoping they were isolated. Apparently not.

My thought has been, for a while now, that Suter planted doubts about signing here with Weber last off-season, which led Weber to hesitate. I hope that Weber realizes that he will never play paired with Suter again, and he understands his role here, relishes it and becomes even more dominant.

JR303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:12 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post

KFAN1003 ‏@KFAN1003

wow if true, screw you suter. what a little .... ****

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneckscurse View Post
wow if true, screw you suter. What a little .... ****
should've traded him at the deadline

Old
07-05-2012, 06:40 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
0 SCF appearance in 30 years time ... I believe that was McPhee's team that got whitewashed by the Wings in '97-'98
Would you like a list of teams that have gone 40+ years without a Cup? Did you expect the Preds to make a SCF appearance in year one or was their a logical concession that it would take time to build a real team in Nashville? Until this year, the Kings hadn't appeared in the SCF since before the Preds became a franchise ... the Rangers haven't made an appearance since the mid-90s ... the Blues haven't made a SCF appearance since 1970 ... the Jets/Yotes with no SCF appearances since joining the league in 1979 ..... but it's only Poile that doesn't get there for years, right?

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:46 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
really ? ... Radulov (which everyone in the know, knew he was trying to kill off the final year of his rfa status - signed in KHL for 4 years), AK (2nd rounder)(in 5 full seasons ... hasn't scored 30 - UFA this summer), Gillnu (& a conditional fifth-round draft pick in 2013 to the Nashville Predators for Blake Geoffrion, Robert Slaney and a second-round draft pick in 2012.) & Gaustad (never scored 20 in his career (excluding CHL)) & a 4th for our 1st
Just like there was nothing poile could have done to change suters mind, I really think there is nothing poile will ever do that will satisfy you. He was the most active gm at the trade deadline and its not like there were a lot of other options available. You are just a hater, and after this suter soap opera, anyone who thinks poile is passive or just sits on his ass and waits for things to fall in his lap is clearly just a blind hater.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

The latest details make Suter look like a jerk ... but ... he was part of a group I watch play a sport for entertainment, not a guy I'm considering for marrying my daughter or one of my close friends. He's now the villain in the melodrama of Preds hockey on TV and in the on ice stage performance. We'll all boo him and view him as a dastardly schmuck who misled the heroic Weber and (according to some - dottering old) Poile. We'll all complain about him until the next evil entertainment character does something to upset us.

If the team wins, we'll all get over this perceived betrayal .... if we lose, the ranting will continue for months.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:01 PM
belle

In April, Leipold was quoted as saying ""We're not making money, and that's one reason we need to fix our system. We need to fix how much we're spending right now. [The Wild's] revenues are fine. We're down a little bit in attendance, but we're up in sponsorships, we're up in TV revenue. And so the revenue that we're generating is not the issue as much as our expenses. And [the Wild's] biggest expense by far is player salaries."

At the opening of free agency, I heard radio reports that Leipold was quoted as saying to the effect the Wild were going to spend money; they were "going for it".

When I read Leipold was flying people into Madison to visit Suter, I wondered if he sensed something familiar with Leipold.

As an outside observer, shades of deja vu. The only thing missing is a plea for others to step up and purchase shares in the team. Maybe that comes six months after the CBA is resolved.

belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Same question I asked on the Devils board:

I don't know if it's been asked or not but come 2014 are you cheering for team USA??? I'm not!! I'm hoping $uter and Pari$e never win anything including a Gold medal plus Kesler will be on team USA and it makes them easier to hate than love.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote