HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs select Dalton Thrower - 51st overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the vinyl version View Post
Who are those weirdos? These are the four horsemen:
such beautiful minds

Old
06-28-2012, 01:32 AM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
I was eligible for the draft this year.. Still hoping a team calls and offers me a tryout/contract
I know right, can't believe I haven't got my invite yet. Checking my email daily.

Old
06-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
I was eligible for the draft this year.. Still hoping a team calls and offers me a tryout/contract
been waiting 8 years bub,...get in line!

Old
06-28-2012, 03:07 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Not quite the comparisons I'd like to encourage.
Well it started to go bad with the Horsemen when they were old but they were fine in their prime.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:54 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post

Old
06-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Thrower explains the tweet debacle of yesterday, lol:

http://www.gazblogs.com/habsinsideou...Camp/Throw.MP3

Old
07-03-2012, 08:07 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...dalton-thrower

For those of you that can read french.. As they said on NHL Network when he got drafted Dalton Thrower will "single singlehandedly make his way in to the NHL, even if there is no spot for him."

After reading that story, I get it.

Old
07-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:

For those of you that can read french.. As they said on NHL Network when he got drafted Dalton Thrower will "single singlehandedly make his way in to the NHL, even if there is no spot for him."

This guy will be a beast for us.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:48 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I keep reading all the stats of games that our guys play on, 1 goal after another just hoping that I'd see some points from the boys, don't like to go right at the total and I do remember that while Dietz had his share of points, I always keep seeing Thrower's name out there and that pissed me off 'cause that wasn't the name I was looking for. And then I just started to look at him more closely and he became MY perfect 2nd round pick (well of course, if I had known that Collberg would have been available, Thrower would have been 2nd best..). And then from stats, you start looking at games and you just know that there's something that could work there. We do indeed got a good one. Just like we already had one with Dietz as well.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:42 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I keep reading all the stats of games that our guys play on, 1 goal after another just hoping that I'd see some points from the boys, don't like to go right at the total and I do remember that while Dietz had his share of points, I always keep seeing Thrower's name out there and that pissed me off 'cause that wasn't the name I was looking for. And then I just started to look at him more closely and he became MY perfect 2nd round pick (well of course, if I had known that Collberg would have been available, Thrower would have been 2nd best..). And then from stats, you start looking at games and you just know that there's something that could work there. We do indeed got a good one. Just like we already had one with Dietz as well.
Yup, this draft has me going

Old
07-04-2012, 08:59 AM
roy munson

Quote:

Came here to post the link, great read. Dalton's got all my respect and i can't wait to see him in action in the big league. I think many of us had their parents take them to the rink early on saturday mornings and everytime I see a player getting selected at a draft, I'm always looking for their parents and I look at their reaction. I usually get emotional when I see them so happy. This goes double for Thrower.

Plus, what a name!

Old
07-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Et le But

I like to mock the sudden obsession of "character" over talent of any sort but if there is any guy who has character, it's this one.

To think he was probably my first choice at 33!

Old
07-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:

Reminds me of Chris Philips. From age 10 he had to look after his mother and father. His mother was paralyzed from the waist down and his father was blind.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:00 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Reminds me of Chris Philips. From age 10 he had to look after his mother and father. His mother was paralyzed from the waist down and his father was blind.
It's that type of adversity that breeds champions.

I think Thrower is going to be something special for us.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:04 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
It's that type of adversity that breeds champions.

I think Thrower is going to be something special for us.
I'd still rather have Dietz, but glad we have both.

Old
07-05-2012, 03:54 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'd still rather have Dietz, but glad we have both.
Dalton is easily better than Dietz.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:15 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Dalton is easily better than Dietz.
Based on what exactly?

Dalton Thrower:
2010-2011 WHL Saskatoon Blades 68 6 14 20 +14
2011-2012 WHL Saskatoon Blades 66 18 36 54. - 4

Darren Dietz
2010-2011 WHL Saskatoon Blades 68 8 19 27 +17
2011-2012 WHL Saskatoon Blades 72 15 29 44. +7

Very identical numbers. Thrower has had about 18 fights the last two seasons. Dietz has had about 14 fights the last two seasons. Thrower had more points this season but Dietz had better plus minus.

There's not that much difference between them.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:45 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Based on what exactly?

Dalton Thrower:

Darren Dietz

Very identical numbers. Thrower has had about 18 fights the last two seasons. Dietz has had about 14 fights the last two seasons. Thrower had more points this season but Dietz had better plus minus.

Eye test.

Thrower was the go to guy on their defense when in comes to offense, he played on the 1st pairing, he faced other teams best lines and shut-down lines, he has better shot, makes better outlet passes and he's younger. Considering fighting I'd take Thrower over Dietz.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Eye test.

Thrower was the go to guy on their defense when in comes to offense, he played on the 1st pairing, he faced other teams best lines and shut-down lines, he has better shot, makes better outlet passes and he's younger. Considering fighting I'd take Thrower over Dietz.
I think Thrower is better offensively but Dietz defensively. Thrower does have the better shot but both guys played a ton of minutes in all situations when there were so many injuries on the Blades blueline. Splitting hairs there IMO. As for age it's 5 months, almost to the day. Wasn't Dietz barely eligible for last years draft? Fight wise it's another close call - Thrower might be marginally better, but I wouldn't want to live off the difference.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:32 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Eye test.

Mostly when the "big guys" (Siemens, Dietz) were out with injury/suspension, and mostly towards the end of the year (having proven himself in their absence(s) and being given a larger role by season's end). During a lot of the year, I'm reasonably certain that it was Dietz and Cox starting the PP, for example.

And while Thrower might have a harder shot, I don't think he's nearly as good at getting his shot on net through traffic from the point as Dietz. That might sound funny considering the 18-15 goals in favour of Thrower, but Dietz really has a seeing-eye slapper from the point that rarely gets blocked. Throwers seems to be as much grip it and rip it as anything. And I didn't notice the difference in passing/decision-making that you seem to have.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Mostly when the "big guys" (Siemens, Dietz) were out with injury/suspension, and mostly towards the end of the year (having proven himself in their absence(s) and being given a larger role by season's end). During a lot of the year, I'm reasonably certain that it was Dietz and Cox starting the PP, for example.

And while Thrower might have a harder shot, I don't think he's nearly as good at getting his shot on net through traffic from the point as Dietz. That might sound funny considering the 18-15 goals in favour of Thrower, but Dietz really has a seeing-eye slapper from the point that rarely gets blocked. Throwers seems to be as much grip it and rip it as anything. And I didn't notice the difference in passing/decision-making that you seem to have.
Siemens and Thrower played together and were the 1st pairing on the Blades for majority of time. Thrower started out slower, but he heated up and he was their main driving force from the blueline for the major part of the season.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Siemens and Thrower played together and were the 1st pairing on the Blades for majority of time. Thrower started out slower, but he heated up and he was their main driving force from the blueline for the major part of the season.
Well, after the Christmas break, that is. And again, though he more than earned the time he ended up with, it did have a lot to do with having to picking up icetime from missing players like Siemens (concussion), Pufahl (ankle), and Cox (groin). 14 of Thrower's 18 goals came after Christmas, for example.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Based on what exactly?

Dalton Thrower:

Darren Dietz

This comparison is ridiculous.

You need to compare seasons where they were the same age. In their respective draft years Thrower put up 54 points compared to Dietz's 27 points.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:46 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
This comparison is ridiculous.

You need to compare seasons where they were the same age. In their respective draft years Thrower put up 54 points compared to Dietz's 27 points.
Even your comparison doesn't make much sense, though, as you're comparing the production of guys playing behind Stefan Elliot (direct competition for both Dietz/Thrower as a RH shot) all year to the production of a couple of guys who got to share the load offensively AND soak up a lot more minutes because of injuries (and Elliot moving up to the Avs pro ranks).

And (re: the bolded parts above) remember that Dietz was 17 when drafted, Thrower 18.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Even your comparison doesn't make much sense, though, as you're comparing the production of guys playing behind Stefan Elliot (direct competition for both Dietz/Thrower as a RH shot) all year to the production of a couple of guys who got to share the load offensively AND soak up a lot more minutes because of injuries (and Elliot moving up to the Avs pro ranks).

And (re: the bolded parts above) remember that Dietz was 17 when drafted, Thrower 18.

Dietz is 5 months older with a full year of hockey development on Thrower. Thrower was still picked to play ahead of Dietz in the lineup despite Dietz's experience advantage.

I am comparing apples to apples people. I like Dietz as a prospect but you would have a hard time finding scouts who prefer him over Thrower.

Closed Thread