HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I...

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 03:50 AM
izzy3

vCash: 500
Went to high level pickup. This is still above my level, but makes me realize what I have to work on.

- Patience, patience, patience
- Carrying a puck is alright, if that's the best option (tend to to pass in every situation if I play with better players than me)
- Get skates sharpened more often (lost edges 2 times due to higher speed of game, I don't even remember when I got them sharpened)

Old
07-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Went inline skating around my neighbourhood in Taipei.

It's a newly developed area and there's only 2 apartment complexes standing in the visible area. Not a lot of cars or people and huge open 8 lane roads. I loaded my backpack with a bunch of random stuff and skated on an uphill road. It's 35'C and humid as hell. Great workout.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yesterday I checked out the new Nexus sticks (the 600 doesn't feel anywhere near as heavy as some people are describing) and ordered a new pair of gloves, a backup pair of Warrior Koncepts, for $50.

Old
07-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Maccas

vCash: 833
  • Ate loads of chicken
  • Went to the gym
  • Watched a load of youtube videos including pretty much every Bure video I could find despite having watched the vast majority before
  • Discovered why you Americans love The Daily Show.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:09 AM
stocky

Played ice hockey for the first time today (stick time).

Old
07-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Twenty One

Yesterday I played a game of roller hockey and ended up with a goal and 3 assists. I play defenseman. We ended up winning 8-3 or something like that. The league isn't very good, its just the feel of playing the game.

and today I wished to be able to play ice hockey every day of my life, but soon enough that will be able to happen.

Old
07-03-2012, 03:20 PM
PanHandler

Today i filled a shopping cart on ice warehouse with everything i need to start playing, and came to the realization that i need a lot more money than i currently have.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:28 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanHandler View Post
Today i filled a shopping cart on ice warehouse with everything i need to start playing, and came to the realization that i need a lot more money than i currently have.
Check with your local rink(s) and see if they have a donation stash. Our rink takes donations and when someone new wants to start hockey they're free to take whatever they need. I know at least 5 or 6 people that have gotten EVERYTHING they need for free. It's usually old gear but hey, it'll get you on the ice. Worth a shot anyway.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:51 PM
stocky

Organized my hockey gear on some shelves. Now it has a decent place to air out after use.

Old
07-05-2012, 01:10 AM
Semak

vCash:
...got tired of playing NHL12 and got more anxious for my injury to heel so I can skate again.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:27 AM
PaperworkNinja

Today, I grumble about the public pool facility that houses our fair city's only two ice rinks closing early on the 4th without any advance warning that they were doing so. My learn-to-play practice was cancelled and I didn't find out until I got to the rink. There weren't any updates to the facility's website, as their schedule was showing regular hours and full slates of skate time.

Just a little miffed here. I was going to top off my Independence Day by playing hockey.

Old
07-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Try looking for a store that sells used gear or a liquidation store that has hockey equipment. All of my first set of equipment came from that minus a helmet and hockey bag. My whole first set of gear (skates included) cost me about $200. It got me on the ice and did fine. As I played more and saved more money, I bought more expensive gear, I don't want to add up how much I've spent on all my gear now for fear of depressing myself.

Old
07-05-2012, 05:05 PM
MattB43

Quote:
Craigslist, and Play it Again if you have one. I got my skates and pants on CL, and my helmet at Play it Again. skates and pants were like new, helmet was still in the box with tags. Saved me a couple hundred bucks.

Also, today I scored my 2nd goal in pick-up. back-door garbage rebound goal but I'll take it

Old
07-05-2012, 06:04 PM
cowboy82nd

vCash: 963
I got my skates sharpened today and went skating. First time on the ice in months. Man do I miss it.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:42 PM
RockemSockemProberts
Stevie come home!

Posted on HF Boards for the first time.

I couldn't post yesterday because I was waiting for my account to be validated: Last night, sitting in my living room, I practiced flipping the puck onto the blade of my stick, flipping it up in the air, and catching it on the blade again. It's good hand-eye coordination practice, and while I could usually only do it two or three times in a row, I did set a record of nine times yesterday.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:33 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

went to the rink and signed my daughter up for the hockey 1 class.
Then I went to the local hockey shop and bought her everything she needs to start playing. She has put her gear on and off several times since, and she's been pushing a puck-shaped object around for a while now. She set up "goals" and tried to convince the dog to be the goalie. She sang the national anthem in preparation for the puck drop. And she informed me that I could be the Ducks, since she was the Coyotes.
And tonight I'm going to play women's pick-up.

Here she is, in her gear.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:51 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Lol, the obligatory pink tape that girls all seem to play with.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:58 PM
stocky

Went to an open skate today to practice stops. I have the right side down pretty well. Still shaky on the left.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:50 PM
oldfart

Quote:
Then I went to the local hockey shop and bought her everything she needs to start playing. She has put her gear on and off several times since, and she's been pushing a puck-shaped object around for a while now. She set up "goals" and tried to convince the dog to be the goalie. She sang the national anthem in preparation for the puck drop. And she informed me that I could be the Ducks, since she was the Coyotes.

How fun!
Brings back memories of my sons first times on ice...
Hope hockey is all she anticipates of it. Do give us a quick note on how those first days progress!

Old
07-06-2012, 01:16 AM
clayman

Quote:

That is so cool! She's a lucky girl!

Old
07-06-2012, 02:50 AM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

Quote:

Adorable! Hope she grows to love the game even more.

Today I saw a picture of the Console Energy Center fixing their ice which made me miss playing hockey so much more. Off-season sucks.

Spending the summer bulking up so i won't be so damn gassed at the end, every time

Old
07-06-2012, 05:06 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:

Haha your girl looks awesome in her gear!

Gotta be a proud parent.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:43 AM
SCritical

found out that my mysterious wrist injury is actually a hairline fracture in the scaphoid.

devestated.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:51 AM
UvBnDatsyuked

Quote:

Thanks for posting. Brings back some memories. Just the other day I asked my teen if I could tie his skates for old time sakes.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:40 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCritical View Post
found out that my mysterious wrist injury is actually a hairline fracture in the scaphoid.

devestated.
That sucks, sorry to hear it.. I hope you heal quickly and good luck!

Closed Thread