HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raphael Diaz Files for arbitration.

Old
07-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
( •_•) Well, looks like this is going to be

( •_•)>⌐■-■

a pain in Diaz

(⌐■_■)
Yah.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Soft as butter........

Diaz would do fine on a team with a surplus of physical DMen.

We still have Kaberle and Weber. We need a little more grit on D.
You seem to confuse soft with weak/small.
Kaberle is soft, Diaz and Weber don't shy from the corners or physical play, they're just small and not stocky like Bouillon, so they have a tougher time versus bigger guys. But they're not soft.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Not a Fish

I don't know how good this guy is going to be but last year, he played well enough to force the Canadiens to keep him in Montreal. In his first year playing with the Canadiens, he put up numbers that are very similar to Mark Streit’s first year in Montreal. Now, am I saying that he’s as good or better than Streit? No. What I’m saying is that the Canadiens aren’t giving him a chance to show how good he could be. I’d much rather give minutes to a young guy like Diaz than to a 38-year-old rental player like Bouillon. We need to give guys like Diaz a chance to develop. Playing 5 minutes every other game and waiting for someone to get hurt is not the way to maximize a player’s value.

Not a Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:15 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Who the **** does he think he is?
He must have read the Brendan Ranford thread.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:17 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
You seem to confuse soft with weak/small.
Kaberle is soft, Diaz and Weber don't shy from the corners or physical play, they're just small and not stocky like Bouillon, so they have a tougher time versus bigger guys. But they're not soft.
Soft, small, weak, ineffective. Any of those words fit.

Diaz is a good guy. We have too many like Diaz on D in Montreal. Diaz is better than Weber so trade him for whatever we can get.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Seb
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Seb
Quote:

( •_•)>⌐■-■

a pain in Diaz

(⌐■_■)
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHh

Seb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Diaz showed more composure last year than Weber ever shown.. He is a good young player to have around..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:29 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was making 900k, so you think the Habs walk away if he gets awarded 1.2 or 1.3 mil? Brilliant!
It is my understanding now that he has sought arbitration the Habs offer him less than he made last year without having him become a free agent. In other words could the Habs offer $850k while Diaz asks for $1.3 million and let the arbitrator decide. At that time the Habs can make their decision whether to accept the decision or walk away.

Or did I misinterpret that.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:30 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:

( •_•)>⌐■-■

a pain in Diaz

(⌐■_■)
I laughed. Give Diaz what he wants so we get more puns!

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:31 PM
HCH

Quote:

Diaz is a good guy. We have too many like Diaz on D in Montreal. Diaz is better than Weber so trade him for whatever we can get.
Diaz and Emelin were an effective 3rd pairing until Kaberle came along and screwed everything up

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:33 PM
fredez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
I think he filed because he was scared of an offer sheet
I'm not sure I understand. I thought the player always had the right to refuse an offer sheet? And only in the case he accepts, his team has the option to match or get compensation.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:37 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
It is my understanding now that he has sought arbitration the Habs offer him less than he made last year without having him become a free agent. In other words could the Habs offer $850k while Diaz asks for $1.3 million and let the arbitrator decide. At that time the Habs can make their decision whether to accept the decision or walk away.

Or did I misinterpret that.
I think Diaz's QO would have been $1M. I could be wrong though. He probably feels he's worth more like $2M and they'll probably settle in the middle.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:38 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

Actually, they're all pretty different words. Gorges is arguably small and weak, don't think you'll dare call him soft and ineffective though. In any event, irrelevant.
I agree we have too many similar guys, one of them at least should be on the out.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Jigger77

I'd be careful about just trading this guy. Sure he isn't the most physical D but he's usually in good position and he's a slick player with the puck. Could be completely wrong but I did like the way he developed last year and I could see him gaining confidence and helping out.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:58 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Actually, they're all pretty different words. Gorges is arguably small and weak, don't think you'll dare call him soft and ineffective though. In any event, irrelevant.
I agree we have too many similar guys, one of them at least should be on the out.
Thank you ! I was about to post almost exactly this, but a call side-
tracted me.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:02 PM
Habaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Diaz and Emelin were an effective 3rd pairing until Kaberle came along and screwed everything up
In part this may have been because Emelin was playing on the
left, where he always looked better to me. And it may have been
before Diaz's groin injury.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:21 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

People who criticize Diaz and say we should trade him for scraps make me wonder how many take the time to watch a player rather than align their opinions with what HF/Twitter says. Diaz is a composed, smart, calm, responsible bottom pairing defenseman. He has a dependable two-way game that any team would love in a #5-6 defender, don't think I've seen him make a bad decision with the puck and he has a good first pass. I'm sorry all bottom pairing defenseman aren't 6'5" freight trains

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:22 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
He won't get much so I say keep him til the trade deadline and trade him when his value is at its highest.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
People who criticize Diaz and say we should trade him for scraps make me wonder how many take the time to watch a player rather than align their opinions with what HF/Twitter says. Diaz is a composed, smart, calm, responsible bottom pairing defenseman. He has a dependable two-way game that any team would love in a #5-6 defender, don't think I've seen him make a bad decision with the puck and he has a good first pass. I'm sorry all bottom pairing defenseman aren't 6'5" freight trains
I see what you're saying but really he's bad defensively. He adapts well and we should see improvement but that's false praise to say that.

His QO was 850k and that's all they offered so he's probably gonna get 1-1.5mil for his 16pts in 59gms.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:33 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
I see what you're saying but really he's bad defensively. He adapts well and we should see improvement but that's false praise to say that.

His QO was 850k and that's all they offered so he's probably gonna get 1-1.5mil for his 16pts in 59gms.
I haven't seen anything glaring that would lead me to call him "bad defensively". He's not a shutdown defenseman by any means, but he's safe enough to not have to worry about when you're putting him out there, like say Kaberle or M.A. Bergeron. 16 points in 59gp makes him a 22 point defenseman, which is pretty respectable for a defenseman who doesn't see a ton of minutes. I'd gladly give him 1.5-1.75 to keep him in the line-up. Again, not all bottom pairing dman are defensive stalwarts, there's value in having depth players that can help get the puck of ice and have good offensive instincts

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Bullsmith

I think he's been advised to file to, ahem, encourage the Habs to either sign him or cut him loose. I think there's a job for him in the NHL, but I don't think he's crazy enough to think there's some big award coming via arbitration. It's more about setting a clock than squeezing dollars.

Personally I see more upside in Diaz than Weber (or St. Denis, although he's a better 2-way dman than either of them as of this minute.) I know Weber's younger but I just don't see any progress.

Last edited by Bullsmith: 07-05-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Habs

I like Diaz, hope they give him a chance here.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
You are making my point. There are teams that have the big DMen and would love to have a finesse DMan like Diaz. Montreal isnt one of those teams.

Nothing personal against Diaz. As of right now, he is not a good fit here because we have just resigned St-Denis and then there is Weber and Kaberle. Of that group, I think that we 'probably' could get the best return from Diaz in a trade.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:40 PM
ChoseLa

This is a busines, he left his country to play in the NHL, he wants to play for the Habs but thinks he wasn't made a good offer, so he files for arbitration, simple as that.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
This is a puzzling move. I still think he re-signs, but I do also believe he is being dangled.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote