HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Runners - Moose

Closed Thread

Old
11-30-2003, 01:14 PM
Asiaoil

vCash: 500
Runners - Moose

A few quick game notes:

Salmo - nice game again as the kid is so quick. He's playing way above most of these guys. He'll be back in Edmonton soon enough.

Lynch - looks good with a nice offense package.

Baum - roughed it up a bit and was a pest - that's his job.

Henley - call me crazy but I think he actually has some potential. He can skate a bit and even brings some offense. Could be an OK 6-7 dman some day if he works hard.

Rita - injured but Salmo has clearly blown by him anyway. Trade him for a goalie prospect already.

The rest - nothing notable as the rest of the team looks like career AHLers

Old
11-30-2003, 01:32 PM
hockeyaddict101

Henley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
A few quick game notes:

Salmo - nice game again as the kid is so quick. He's playing way above most of these guys. He'll be back in Edmonton soon enough.

Lynch - looks good with a nice offense package.

Baum - roughed it up a bit and was a pest - that's his job.

Henley - call me crazy but I think he actually has some potential. He can skate a bit and even brings some offense. Could be an OK 6-7 dman some day if he works hard.

Rita - injured but Salmo has clearly blown by him anyway. Trade him for a goalie prospect already.

The rest - nothing notable as the rest of the team looks like career AHLers
I don't think you are crazy about him at all. To my mind he was one of the pleasant surprises at training camp.

Old
11-30-2003, 01:37 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
asiaoil you in North America or you get AHL games out east in asia?

Old
11-30-2003, 01:43 PM
elphy101

Doug Lynch sure looks good. Maybe the Oilers do have a solid defensive prospect in their system.

Old
11-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
asiaoil you in North America or you get AHL games out east in asia?
........been back in Victoria for a couple of months now so I've been seeing a few more games than usual. Actually saw the last pre-season game in Edmonton. I leave again after Christmas though.

Old
11-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Doug Lynch sure looks good. Maybe the Oilers do have a solid defensive prospect in their system.
Yeah he does look good doesn't he. We just need to leave him alone to develop this year in Toronto. I'm actually not that worried about our depth on defense - we have a lot of decent young guys in the system who can play - but there is no way we can get them all into the line-up at once. MAB, Semi, Lynch and even Bobby Allen who is really solid just not at all flashy. Greene is also still in college. Granted none of these guys aside from Semi has top pair potential - but we have not used a #1 pick on a dman recently either (that may change this year).

So we have tons of decent young dmen and I expect all of our vets to be signed long-term by this summer (Brew and Smith should not be a problem and Staios/Cross are already done). We just need to draft or trade for a good young offensive dman and we're set up pretty well.

Old
11-30-2003, 04:16 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
You are basing this on one game?

Rita was playing some of his best hockey in his pro career before he got hurt recently.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:07 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Lynch was always on target to be a good d-man, I'm not sure where the idea that we had no good defene prospects came from but that was never the case.

The Rita/Salmo comparisons are getting way out of whack now. Salmo is a little buzz bomb on the perimeter and scores well at the ahl level but that's all he's shown thus far.

Rita has a great all-around game when he's on track, but unlike other players he can't have any bad games or MacT pulls the plug instantly.

Compare his nhl stats to what Reasoner, I$$y, Salmo, and Horcoff have done this year and it just boggles the mind why JR can't play here but they can. His stats didn't just come by fluke either, he played very well on occasion here.

The bottom line is that Rita still has the best chance to be a top two line player of any new Oiler of the last two seasons except maybe Hemsky and he's not being given a chance to develop here. Salmo? If he becomes a regular nhl'er in any capacity it's a bonus.

Old
11-30-2003, 07:30 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Lynch is good, and Greene is good, the wild card is K Smith.

GXL

Old
11-30-2003, 08:11 PM
Walsher

Quote:

Some day? He is already getting too old - he isn't very good. ECHL talent at best.

Old
11-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Some day? He is already getting too old - he isn't very good. ECHL talent at best.
He's only 23 and 6' 7" - 245 lbs.

I see wildly different opinions on Henley - everything from having some potential to being an ECHL bum. I've watched him a couple of times and do see SOME talent. He's big, aggressive, can skate decently - certainly in the same league as Ferguson talent-wise just bigger. In todays game he was our 2nd best dman IMO after Lynch. My take on him is that if he works hard he could be a bigger version of Ferguson - a 6/7 guy who fills a minor role. Nothing special but with that size he could be useful.

Old
11-30-2003, 10:28 PM
Allan

I just checked HockeyDB. Ferguson played in the ECHL, and didn't make the AHL until he was 22. He didn't play in the NHL until he was 27, excepting 3 games over two years shortly earlier. I can't see how Brent Henley is too old to follow this sort of path, especially considering that his health problems may have a lot to do with him developing slowly so far. I remember an article during training camp where he said that at 18 and again at 21, I think, he got very ill, and lost 50-60 pounds each time (once he was diagnosed as diabetic, I can't remember the other. A gland thing, I think). That would take a long time to recover from, so if you count that a year or two of playing was lost because of that, I can't see any reason that he can't at least be a reliable AHLer, with an outside chance of making the show.

Closed Thread