HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Philadelphia Phillies (MLB): 2012 Regular Season (Utter-Lee Hopeless Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
  #51
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 28,173
vCash: 673
the season was over before tonight.

Justified is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 09:09 PM
  #52
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion
 
Brostradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dub C
Country: United States
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Wow....

Brostradamus is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 09:12 PM
  #53
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
getting thrown out at home by 30 feet came back to haunt them. not surprising

flyersguy33* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 09:23 PM
  #54
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 28,173
vCash: 673
At least they roughed up Dickey tonight.

Justified is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 09:27 PM
  #55
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
This has just been their luck all year, something goes wrong almost every game. Paps blows it, starters, relievers, or hitters, one of them doesn't show up, almost every freakin' game. It's just sad.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 09:31 PM
  #56
flyersguy33*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 20,708
vCash: 500
Howard in the line up tomorrow night

flyersguy33* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 09:34 PM
  #57
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 28,173
vCash: 673
Colbert Michael Hamels should not let up as many HR balls as he does with his type of lights out stuff. Simple as that.

Justified is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:17 PM
  #58
Unstable
Registered User
 
Unstable's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Exiled in NoVA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,105
vCash: 500
What a laugher of a 9th inning. Just pathetic.

Unstable is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:36 PM
  #59
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
That's why you don't spend $50 million on a closer. What a joke. Also, I'm 100% in favor of trading Hamels at the deadline. Everyone needs to get over their emotional attachment to him and realize he could be even more valuable to the team's future in a trade, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:44 PM
  #60
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
That's why you don't spend $50 million on a closer. What a joke. Also, I'm 100% in favor of trading Hamels at the deadline. Everyone needs to get over their emotional attachment to him and realize he could be even more valuable to the team's future in a trade, as ridiculous as that sounds.
Completely agree. I'm not a big fan of dishing out long term contracts to pitchers as it is. Trade him. Add depth. Use the money you would have spent to resign him to fill other needs.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 10:59 PM
  #61
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Completely agree. I'm not a big fan of dishing out long term contracts to pitchers as it is. Trade him. Add depth. Use the money you would have spent to resign him to fill other needs.
Maybe Amaro could throw $50 million at a setup man?

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:02 PM
  #62
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Maybe Amaro could throw $50 million at a setup man?
I hear Chad Qualls is a FA next year.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
  #63
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 28,173
vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
That's why you don't spend $50 million on a closer. What a joke. Also, I'm 100% in favor of trading Hamels at the deadline. Everyone needs to get over their emotional attachment to him and realize he could be even more valuable to the team's future in a trade, as ridiculous as that sounds.
It depends on what type of deal they could get. The new CBA really hurts them with the other team not getting draft picks. I want Hamels to stay a Phillie, but he needs to stop having these mental lapses of throwing cookies right down the plate when he is ahead of the hitter. Tonight he has Wright at 1-2, and he throws the best pitch (his changeup) in baseball out of all pitchers since he has entered the league in the middle of the zone. I know he has really good control of it so why not throw it in the dirt, I have seen him get many great hitters out like that.

Justified is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:42 PM
  #64
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
It depends on what type of deal they could get. The new CBA really hurts them with the other team not getting draft picks. I want Hamels to stay a Phillie, but he needs to stop having these mental lapses of throwing cookies right down the plate.
It's not going to be the crazy 4-5 prospect haul that Amaro's currently demanding, but if he can get two high-ceiling prospects and another raw talent or two in the low minors, it's a deal worth making. For example, as I've mentioned previously, doing a deal with the Rangers centered around Mike Olt would be ideal. I also see the Pirates as being buyers at the deadline, especially if they're able to keep up their current pace. Amaro should try to take advantage of their success and the kind of excitement surrounding the team. Hunter Pence would be a nice addition for them, and Pittsburgh's farm system is chock full of enticing prospects.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:49 PM
  #65
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,253
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I hear Chad Qualls is a FA next year.
If you hear the sound of running water in the distance, fear not; that isn't a dam breaking. It's the sound of me vomiting unheard of amounts of bile at the thought of signing that piece of Qualls again.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:49 PM
  #66
Justified
Moderator
Amaro out
 
Justified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 28,173
vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
It's not going to be the crazy 4-5 prospect haul that Amaro's currently demanding, but if he can get two high-ceiling prospects and another raw talent or two in the low minors, it's a deal worth making. For example, as I've mentioned previously, doing a deal with the Rangers centered around Mike Olt would be ideal. I also see the Pirates as being buyers at the deadline, especially if they're able to keep up their current pace. Amaro should try to take advantage of their success and the kind of excitement surrounding the team. Hunter Pence would be a nice addition for them, and Pittsburgh's farm system is chock full of enticing prospects.
Id like Olt, or Nick Castellanas(Tigers) who was ranked 12th in BA rankings today as Olt was one ahead of him. I just dont know if the Pirates would pay Pence's salary and then pay him another year.

Justified is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 01:33 AM
  #67
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Id like Olt, or Nick Castellanas(Tigers) who was ranked 12th in BA rankings today as Olt was one ahead of him. I just dont know if the Pirates would pay Pence's salary and then pay him another year.
I think Castellanos would be harder to acquire. I would think he would be untouchable for the Tigers.

Olt is nice and all but he strikes out at an alarming rate. He does walk a lot which helps, but it's going to be hard for him to maintain a solid average at the highest level. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him, it's just a little concerning.

Profar, untouchable by most accounts, would be an unbelievable get. I would take him straight up for Hamels. I guess we will see how desperate Texas is to get that ring.

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 03:00 AM
  #68
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Colbert Michael Hamels should not let up as many HR balls as he does with his type of lights out stuff. Simple as that.
His lights out stuff has always been fly ball stuff. He's always been hurt by the HR ball, though he's been much better since last season.

sobrien is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 05:06 AM
  #69
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
I think Castellanos would be harder to acquire. I would think he would be untouchable for the Tigers.

Olt is nice and all but he strikes out at an alarming rate. He does walk a lot which helps, but it's going to be hard for him to maintain a solid average at the highest level. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him, it's just a little concerning.

Profar, untouchable by most accounts, would be an unbelievable get. I would take him straight up for Hamels. I guess we will see how desperate Texas is to get that ring.
Not gonna happen, not even straight up, not even close -- regardless of how desperate the Rangers are to win a World Series.

As for Olt... he's a power hitter, they strike out. If he didn't have such a good eye and walk so much, I'd be concerned about his big league potential at the dish. Still, even if he can be just a .260/.350/.500 hitter at the MLB level while providing above-average defense at third base, that's definitely a player you want on your team -- a player you can build around. He's been compared to Evan Longoria, by the way. MIKE OLT!


Last edited by Amateur Hour: 07-06-2012 at 05:11 AM.
Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 05:39 AM
  #70
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
JXC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 13,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
getting thrown out at home by 30 feet came back to haunt them. not surprising
I feel like Juan Samuel ought to be fired.

JXC is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 06:49 AM
  #71
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Not gonna happen, not even straight up, not even close -- regardless of how desperate the Rangers are to win a World Series.

As for Olt... he's a power hitter, they strike out. If he didn't have such a good eye and walk so much, I'd be concerned about his big league potential at the dish. Still, even if he can be just a .260/.350/.500 hitter at the MLB level while providing above-average defense at third base, that's definitely a player you want on your team -- a player you can build around. He's been compared to Evan Longoria, by the way. MIKE OLT!
That's the reason I'd rather keep Hamels if its possible because I doubt anyone we actually get is going to be as good as Cole Hamels. I'd rather build my team around a 28 year old pitcher who is one of the best in the game, than a 3rd base prospect who may turn into Evan Longoria (who I wouldn't trade Cole Hamels for).

We agree this should be a two, maybe even three, year process, so why not keep Hamels if possible? You have 2 other pitchers that could be moved at next years deadline.

If they can't sign him by the deadline, then he's gonna have to be moved for the best offer they get. If they can sign him, I'd sign him, move minor pieces this deadline, see how the team looks next year, and move some major pieces then.

Honestly if the team struggles next year, and Doc and Lee are pitching well without support, you could get a good return for both. You could even trade Howard if he's doing well at that point if you eat a decent amount of money, and if the deal makes sense.

Protest is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
  #72
FLYguy3911
Registered User
 
FLYguy3911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Not gonna happen, not even straight up, not even close -- regardless of how desperate the Rangers are to win a World Series.

Yeah I know its a pipe dream. Don't bring me down!!!!

FLYguy3911 is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
  #73
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
Howard in the line up tomorrow night
Over under he strikes out his first ab!

TheDrizzle81 is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
  #74
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Reading the following article made my blood boil:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...ontenders.html

Rube simply doesn't get it. What an unobjective egomaniac. This franchise is going to be ****ed for the foreseeable future with him in charge. Instead of realizing and acknowledging the serious systemic issues -- as well as the stiff, ever-improving competition within the division -- plaguing this team, Rube's going to bury his head in the sand and try to dig himself out of this hole by, uh, doing the same **** that put the Phillies in this position. The answer is not to further deplete an already barren farm system by trading prospects for solid-but-not-difference-making MLB players. The answer is to meticulously sell off a few of the team's most valuable assets -- Hamels, in particular -- in order to restock the farm and furnish hope for both the immediate and long-term future. It doesn't have to be "blowing up the team."

Also, there are literally no MLB 3B out there to be had. Not via trade -- unless, as the article suggested, you want to pay out the ass for Chase Headley, who is a good player but not someone you sell the farm for -- and not via free agency. Trading Cole Hamels, however, can land you that player. Unless the Phillies commit 7 years and $175 million to Hamels, he's not going to stay here. Personally, it's time for this team to recognize its mistakes and start building the way it did when this run first began. They aren't the Yankees. They aren't the Red Sox. They're a wannabe high-payroll juggernaut without the necessary infrastructure to maintain success. And now they're being exposed. The rest of baseball -- front offices, teams, fans -- is laughing at the Phillies, and rightly so. Rube and friends' obstinance is only going to prolong the mockery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Over under he strikes out his first ab!
Without being thrown a single strike.

Amateur Hour is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:36 AM
  #75
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,294
vCash: 500
I'll ****ing stab someone if they buy when they're 15 games out of first place.

Protest is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.