HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Crosby signs 12-Year, $104.4 Million Contract Extension (8.7 per)

Old
07-01-2012, 10:56 AM
BrookswasHere44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Salary cap-wise, it absolutely does not. His cap hit is $8.7M. The only person that needs to worry about how it breaks down year to year is Burkle.
Good!

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookswasHere44 View Post
What does this really mean? Better? Worse? The same? as far as our excitement over it helping with FA's
It means nothing.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
MrWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
Did some quick math about Crosby's contracts.

In the first year of his last contract the cap was 56.3 mil so his 8.7 mil made up a little over 15% of the cap.

This yr his 8.7 mil makes up only 12% of the 70 mil cap.

If he were to have wanted to stay at the 15% that he was previously at his new contract would have been roughly 10.5 million per season.

We all felt he took a nice discount for us last time at 8.7 million. This time he took another 1.8 million less than that. Sure hope we can get him Parise after the discount he took for us.
How does this work in terms of guaranteed money?

MrWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:14 PM
cassius

Does anyone else think it's a bit weird that Crosby hasn't commented yet on his megadeal?

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Saku11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Does anyone else think it's a bit weird that Crosby hasn't commented yet on his megadeal?
concussion

Saku11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:52 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Waiting to hold a joint press conference with Parise.

PensFanSince1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:39 PM
Til the End of Time

i want to mention an extremely important point that i have not seen explicitly mention in all this talk of crosby signing.

but first let me say that while i am a huge crosby fan, i am/was in the "pessimistic" camp regarding his health. i think there is still a fairly sizable risk of him being re-injured. it makes me shake my head when pens fans deny that crosby is at a higher risk of injury than other players. the general understanding in the medical community is that one concussion increases your risk of a second concussion. period.

with that said, however, the pens would not re-sign sid unless they are pretty darn confident in his health. the pens and their medical staff have been with sid since this injury happened nearly two years ago. they are exponentially more privy to sid's medical information than we are. they know exactly how terrible his symptoms were, and how far he has come in his recovery.

this isn't charity. sid has done a ton for this team, but ownership wouldnt give him this contract if they were particularly concerned that this concussion would affect him into the future.

sid wasnt quite the same player when he came back this season. most of it was just rust, but there is a small part of my that wonders if he will forever be an inferior player to what he was. but it gives me solace knowing that the penguins, with 10000X more info on the situation than me, were still willing to sign him to this huge deal.

so basically, if a bunch of professionals deemed sid to be healthy enough to sign this deal, he must be doing pretty darn well. although i will cringe everytime he gets hit.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
I would bet $1000 Canadian that Sid is retired before his 30th birthday. With all the evidence we have, I just don't see it. 2 concussions in 2 games. All that missed time. His supposed concussions pre-NHL. His relapsing after an inconsequential round of physicality against the Bruins. The fact that this is the most targeted player in the league, who plays a grinding style.

But the team knows more than I do.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Dan Barr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post
I would bet $1000 Canadian that Sid is retired before his 30th birthday. With all the evidence we have, I just don't see it. 2 concussions in 2 games. All that missed time. His supposed concussions pre-NHL. His relapsing after an inconsequential round of physicality against the Bruins. The fact that this is the most targeted player in the league, who plays a grinding style.

I'll take that bet.

Dan Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:56 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
Alright, see you in 5 years. We'll exchange paypal information.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Jacob

Quote:

This is totally bogus.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
SomeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
This is totally bogus.
Indeed. He said he thought he might have had one before he got drafted, then he got one and said it was definitely his first.

I would also love to take you on in that bet.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:41 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
You don't say.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:59 AM
cassius

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it pretty much determined that an untreated neck injury was causing a lot of his symptoms, as opposed to the concussion?

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:10 AM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it pretty much determined that an untreated neck injury was causing a lot of his symptoms, as opposed to the concussion?
You're not wrong, the only thing we don't know is when the concussion symptoms ended and the neck related symptoms began.

In light of the Parise/Suter contracts, the market has taken a dangerous turn. Usually when you sign a player to these retirement contracts it means getting them at a lowered cap hit. But if Parise/Suter were to sign 3 year deals, wouldn't you still want them at about the same cap hit of ~$7.5M?

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:14 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisUlrich View Post
You're not wrong, the only thing we don't know is when the concussion symptoms ended and the neck related symptoms began.

In light of the Parise/Suter contracts, the market has taken a dangerous turn. Usually when you sign a player to these retirement contracts it means getting them at a lowered cap hit. But if Parise/Suter were to sign 3 year deals, wouldn't you still want them at about the same cap hit of ~$7.5M?

Honestly, they'd likely get a tad more than that. Probably closer to 8-9 on a 3 yr deal. Not saying they're worth it because I don't believe for a second that they're worth more than 7, maybe 7.5 for Suter. Suter is one of the top D in the league. Parise isn't one of the top wingers. He's damn good, and is a 1st line winger... but there's a bunch out there I'd rather have first, and I don't think he's worth more than 7m.

I wouldn't have signed either of them to the Pens on the contracts they received. I honestly think that once these players start to get up there in age (Luongo will probably be the first), we'll start seeing the effects of these contracts. Not sure if the CBA will prohibit them (cap term at 7 yrs or something) or if the GMs will just get their **** together when it comes to these contracts. But I hope like hell that these contracts drag their respective teams down hard at the end.

At least Crosby's was smart in the fact that it ends when he's 37 and doesn't go till he's 41 or something retarded.

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Didn't want to make a thread of it's own, so I'll put it here. Very, VERY interesting video and detailed story what LaFontaine tells here. Hopely Crosby avoids all this:

Muscles4Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Didn't want to make a thread of it's own, so I'll put it here. Very, VERY interesting video and detailed story what LaFontaine tells here. Hopely Crosby avoids all this:

Wow, poor guy.

I don't think Crosby will ever get there. LaFontaine had a bunch of very bad hits and blows and I don't think Crosby would ever put himself at risk by coming back early from something that traumatic...

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:27 PM
HuskerTornado
RIP UW AlwaysBelieve

Quote:

When was it confirmed he had 2 concussions?

HuskerTornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:35 PM
JTG

Yeah, I think the 2nd time was the neck more than anything else.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Von Malkin*

I just hope Crosby doesn't get a concussion thinking that he is going to play with dupuis and Kennedy next year. That thought would cause me to suffer a concussion.

Von Malkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:48 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
The 2nd was definitely the neck issue...there remains the question of did he get one or two concussions originally, but his 'relapse' this year was the neck injury...now when the neck became the issue instead of the head is unknown and will never be known.

It is highly likely that Crosby had a pre-draft concussion. It's almost impossible for a human to go nearly 20 years without getting a mild concussion...but mild concussion are dubbed mild for a reason...they're basically harmless unless matched with another more serious concussion in a time frame or another injury to the same area (say a neck injury).

I've had way too many concussions in my life and I don't think I've had that many more than the average person...I just have the documentation of having the following ones because I've had two major ones in the process, which makes them much easier to diagnose. Also my diagnosed concussions have come in pretty nice clumps, which means there may even be more that went undiagnosed just because I wasn't as worried with the symptoms...I have little doubt that holds true elsewhere. I don't think we're ever going to have a perfect test to measure mild concussions because they're just so damn easy to suffer (remember, a concussion doesn't necessarily have to be a hit to the head...it just has to be a situation where the brain would rush into contact with the skull). Mild concussions aren't really worrisome (at least at this point of medical understanding) unless they're paired with more serious concussions...and then even the slightest one can set things back for months, even years (see: Savard, Marc). A player rushing back from a serious concussion ranks somewhere between juggling active chainsaws and unicycling down a third rail in terms of endangering one's future well-being.

With head injuries it's always hard to process...but even in rapid succession it's hard to imagine that it was the Hedman hit that put Crosby into such a bad place. My completely amateur opinion is that he sustained a Grade 2 concussion on the Steckel hit and the neck injury on the Hedman hit, which helped pronounce and prolong the symptoms from the original concussion. When he finally came back the little run-in with Kunitz it seemed to bring back the neck issue, which (somewhat thankfully) led to it being diagnosed.

Again, complete stab in the dark there...but if I had to take a guess that's what mine would be. I'm worried about Sid's future, but not much more than I'm worried about Letang's or Malkin's. Malkin has had leg issues in the NHL (which may be overcome...hip injuries in hockey are becoming like shoulder issues in baseball, they used to basically be the end of a guy's career, but nowadays most players seem to completely recover) and had a pre-draft concussion. Letang has had a couple concussions. Sid...yeah...I'm worried...but this is still a contract you have to give him and you have to thank him for taking it. The risk/reward potential in this deal favors the Penguins. The only real negative this could ever really have on the Penguins in the current CBA is in the off-season salary cap. If he's hurt...oh well, a few million a year from one of the richest men in America's pockets and an LTIR status. Burkle made his fortune in investing...I'm sure he's well aware of the risk/reward circumstances here.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 07-08-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Til the End of Time

slightly OT but i am doing a presentation on concussions in the pediatric population. couldnt think of a topic so i decided to do it on "return to play" guidelines for kids with concussions.

i found an article from the "Canadian Medical Association Journal" (a legit journal i guess) and they mention sidney crosby in the intro.

weird to see crosby mentioned in a scientific journal.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:51 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:

Put me down for that. I can do PayPal or since you're also Canadian, I imagine you can do Interac transfers? Good?

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
slightly OT but i am doing a presentation on concussions in the pediatric population. couldnt think of a topic so i decided to do it on "return to play" guidelines for kids with concussions.

i found an article from the "Canadian Medical Association Journal" (a legit journal i guess) and they mention sidney crosby in the intro.

weird to see crosby mentioned in a scientific journal.
He's kind of a big deal

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote