HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TJ Galiardi files for arbiration; avoids hearing, re-signed (post #88); $950k

Old
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
dwood16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
Sure with good linemates and against the weakest competition possible. And he still couldn't push the play.

If Colorado does in fact walk away from McGinn, I really do look forward in seeing how this board reacts. Will people choose to ignore this event entirely and still whine about McGinn or will they try and claim the Avs are stupid too?
You obviously didn't watch those games.

He didn't have good linemates for the most part. He had 2nd and 3rd line Avs linemates and he was very, very good in pretty much most aspects of the game. Best player on the ice in most games he played with them.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post

He didn't have good linemates for the most part. He had 2nd and 3rd line Avs linemates and he was very, very good in pretty much most aspects of the game. Best player on the ice in most games he played with them.
I did watch some of the games...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...5v5&type=goals

Unfortunatly this site doesn't work very well with McGinn due to all his time with the Sharks.

But....

DAVID JONES 197:22

PAUL STASTNY 190:22

Those are the two Av players McGinn played the most with.

Paul Stanstny goes without saying... so let me put it to you this way David Jones was just awarded a 4 million cap hit contract. McGinn is going through abritation. I think there is a difference between actual facts and what you think you saw and want to believe..

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:17 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
His 11-12 contract year wasn't two way...could they still offer him a two-way contract?
No, as he spent too much time in NHL.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:28 PM
dwood16

Quote:
I did watched some of the games...

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/show...5v5&type=goals

Unfortunatly this site doesn't work very well with McGinn due to all his time with the Sharks.

But....

DAVID JONES 197:22

PAUL STASTNY 190:22

Those are the two Av players McGinn played the most with.

Paul Stanstny goes without saying... so let me put it to you this way David Jones was just awarded a 4 million cap hit contract. McGinn is going through abritation. I think there is a difference between actual facts and what you think you saw and want to believe..
Dude, if you think Jones is good... well then we won't agree.

He didn't play with Duchene, Landeskok, Mueller, Hejduk and Downey at all really. So let's see... that puts him on the 2nd or 3rd line mostly on a team that didn't make the playoffs. So not only did he have 2nd and 3rd tier linemates there he got those kinds of minutes.... and lit it up.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:40 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Dude, if you think Jones is good... well then we won't agree.

He didn't play with Duchene, Landeskok, Mueller, Hejduk and Downey at all really. So let's see... that puts him on the 2nd or 3rd line mostly on a team that didn't make the playoffs. So not only did he have 2nd and 3rd tier linemates there he got those kinds of minutes.... and lit it up.
Mueller... You mean the guy the Avs are parting ways with? Jones had more ice time with Mueller and was awarded a 20 million contract.

The Avs aren't happy with Duchene and rightfully so. Jones outscored Duchene despite facing similar competition http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

Jones production was also on par with Hejduk, I don't really see Hejduk facing significantly better comp.

Downie has been a third liner for most of his career. He has been a good one...

There seems to be a difference between actual facts and what you want to believe.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Swervin81
Leafy McDreamy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape View Post
I'm pretty sure Lincecum and the Giants did this same thing. But yeah, I'm not sure if it's the same for the NHL.
The Giants should be thanking Lincecum for his constant rejection of long term deals in favor of year-to-year ones.

I do see TJ getting a raise though.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:18 PM
gonegonegone*

smart move by tj - he's stats look better than he actually is right now and he could get a decent payday. if we lose tj, then wow, awful trade x 10000. basically this past year has been strike out after strike out for DW after the burns signing.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:31 PM
The Architect
When weasels fly...

Quote:
Sure with good linemates and against the weakest competition possible. And he still couldn't push the play.

If Colorado does in fact walk away from McGinn, I really do look forward in seeing how this board reacts. Will people choose to ignore this event entirely and still whine about McGinn or will they try and claim the Avs are stupid too?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. I'm not saying McGinn is a great player. However, he is a good player that this team could use, and I would much rather have him than TJ Galiardi. That is my main point.

McGinn - XXX - Wingels would be a decent third line if we had a half way decent Center aside from Zeus. McGinn played with Zeus - the guy who we can't GIVE away right now.

Again, not sure what your point is.

The Architect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

From BOH thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Sounds about right.

I haven't seen the number published, but the Walk Away threshold is indexed to to year-to-year increase in Average Player Salary - the same index used for RFA compensation levels.

RFA thresholds have increased by (1,110,249/660,000) = 1.68x, so the Walk Away threshold should be $1,042,173 * 1.68 = $1,753,139.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:43 PM
foppagirl21

Hi everyone, Avs fan (and Sharks supporter) coming in peace. Boy, this trade sure did get messy, fast.

Quote:

Paul Stastny and David Jones say "hello". McGinn was paired up with those two for the vast majority of the time after the trade. Stastny is first and foremost a play maker. While Jones is not a superstar by any stretch of the imagination, him and Stastny have developed great chemistry together. McGinn has meshed in well with the two of them (receiving passes and able to get those dirty goals). ...Stastny is no scrub.

And for those wondering, the Avalanche did NOT roll a "scoring line"- scoring was spread among the top three lines of (at the end of the season):

Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Mueller-Duchene-Olver/Hejduk/etc (that was more of a mish-mash line of random players; Duchene had a rough year as did Hejduk who played on the fourth line... yes, the fourth line, multiple times this season)

In the last twenty or so games (those that McGinn played in) there were two main lines: the O'Reilly and Stastny lines. 1a and 1b or 2a and 2b. McGinn also shared ice time with guys like Landeskog and O'Reilly towards the end of games, etc. To say McGinn was relegated to "third line duties" is completely false. Sorry for the essay/information about the Avs that 99.9 percent of you could probably care less about, but I just wanted to clarify some things. He did cool off the closer the Avs got to the end of the season, but so did the rest of his teammates. O'Reilly and Landeskog looked worn down. Downie suffered a shoulder injury that required surgery this off-season. Duchene still wasn't "clicking". Mueller... well, you all know how that turned out, sadly. Defense suffered, too.

I can completely understand where both McGinn and Galiardi are coming from in their arbitration filings. Galiardi had SUCH a showing in 2009-2010, especially in the playoffs. He hopes to get back to that, as do his employers. However, he has struggled mightily the last eighteen months or so. He has a lot to prove. Does he get paid according to his potential or what he has shown? The same can be said for McGinn. Does anyone know if anything like this has happened in a previous trade before? Crazy.

Hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way and if I did, I apologize! I really want to be able to lurk this forum without feeling like an enemy

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Hi everyone, Avs fan (and Sharks supporter) coming in peace. Boy, this trade sure did get messy, fast.

Paul Stastny and David Jones say "hello". McGinn was paired up with those two for the vast majority of the time after the trade. Stastny is first and foremost a play maker. While Jones is not a superstar by any stretch of the imagination, him and Stastny have developed great chemistry together. McGinn has meshed in well with the two of them (receiving passes and able to get those dirty goals). ...Stastny is no scrub.

And for those wondering, the Avalanche did NOT roll a "scoring line"- scoring was spread among the top three lines of (at the end of the season):

Landeskog-O'Reilly-Downie
McGinn-Stastny-Jones
Mueller-Duchene-Olver/Hejduk/etc (that was more of a mish-mash line of random players; Duchene had a rough year as did Hejduk who played on the fourth line... yes, the fourth line, multiple times this season)

In the last twenty or so games (those that McGinn played in) there were two main lines: the O'Reilly and Stastny lines. 1a and 1b or 2a and 2b. McGinn also shared ice time with guys like Landeskog and O'Reilly towards the end of games, etc. To say McGinn was relegated to "third line duties" is completely false. Sorry for the essay/information about the Avs that 99.9 percent of you could probably care less about, but I just wanted to clarify some things. He did cool off the closer the Avs got to the end of the season, but so did the rest of his teammates. O'Reilly and Landeskog looked worn down. Downie suffered a shoulder injury that required surgery this off-season. Duchene still wasn't "clicking". Mueller... well, you all know how that turned out, sadly. Defense suffered, too.

I can completely understand where both McGinn and Galiardi are coming from in their arbitration filings. Galiardi had SUCH a showing in 2009-2010, especially in the playoffs. He hopes to get back to that, as do his employers. However, he has struggled mightily the last eighteen months or so. He has a lot to prove. Does he get paid according to his potential or what he has shown? The same can be said for McGinn. Does anyone know if anything like this has happened in a previous trade before? Crazy.

Hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way and if I did, I apologize! I really want to be able to lurk this forum without feeling like an enemy
I don't really see any reason to apologize. Thanks for the input

Old
07-05-2012, 09:29 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not at all. I love hearing from people like you.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:30 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
I don't really see any reason to apologize. Thanks for the input
Well I am used to conversing primarily with Canucks fans, so... you know...

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:36 PM
OrrNumber4

It does look worse and worse for DW, no?

Had Sgarbossa not been involved, then I'd say to hell with it; we traded production for someone with a higher potential; both wen to abritration and however the dust settles there it is bad luck...but losing Sgarbossa hurts....

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:44 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Sgarbossa was the reason I dislike the trade. If it were just McGinn and Connolly for Galiardi I'd be much more okay.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Goodbye, Mr. Spock

I admit my premature mancrush on the pirate as well. I was bummed about him most of all.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
slocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Well I am used to conversing primarily with Canucks fans, so... you know...

Btw ... Your input is always appreciated.

07-05-2012, 10:03 PM
OrrNumber4

What is starting to bug me about SJ, is that they seem unable to fill gaps that are easy to fill.

They have a fantastic top-six, and now a fantastic defense. I had no issues with trading a prospect like Coyle, for example, because the odds are he would never crack the SJ top-six. Even when they traded Bernier, Carle, multiple late-firsts, I've been OK with it because players like that (or drafted there) don't typically have a big impact. They've got a top-six that could play for another 5+ years, and outside of maybe Ryane Clowe, is full of guys I'd like to keep. Boyle is old, but otherwise the defense looks promising.

Why then, has this team had garbage on the third lines and bottom-pairing for so long?

Those kinds of assets are readily available on the market. All you need is salary, most times! Up front, why did DW take so long to fix the mistake in Handzus when he acquired Winnik? Why wasn't a guy like Moore signed in free agency? Why'd he have to wait for bargains like Malhotra, Roenick and Wellwood (despite the fact that they worked out) when they had the cap space? Why was waste-of-space Mitchell on the team for so long? I think DW was smart to get rid of players like Kaspar, Bernier, and Plihal when it was clear that they no longer could produce here; why were players like Mitchell, Goc, and Grier tolerated for so long? Why didn't DW keep Curtis Brown or Travis Moen, both who signed for very reasonble deals? Why not keep Wellwood on his bargain of a deal?

It also hurts that whenever DW does address the issue, it ends up blowing up in his face (Grier, Handzus, Lemieux).

Just my frustrated ramblings at 5 in the morning....

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
sixgunsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
What is starting to bug me about SJ, is that they seem unable to fill gaps that are easy to fill.

They have a fantastic top-six, and now a fantastic defense. I had no issues with trading a prospect like Coyle, for example, because the odds are he would never crack the SJ top-six. Even when they traded Bernier, Carle, multiple late-firsts, I've been OK with it because players like that (or drafted there) don't typically have a big impact. They've got a top-six that could play for another 5+ years, and outside of maybe Ryane Clowe, is full of guys I'd like to keep. Boyle is old, but otherwise the defense looks promising.

Why then, has this team had garbage on the third lines and bottom-pairing for so long?

Those kinds of assets are readily available on the market. All you need is salary, most times! Up front, why did DW take so long to fix the mistake in Handzus when he acquired Winnik? Why wasn't a guy like Moore signed in <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">free</a> agency? Why'd he have to wait for bargains like Malhotra, Roenick and Wellwood (despite the fact that they worked out) when they had the cap space? Why was waste-of-space Mitchell on the team for so long? I think DW was smart to get rid of players like Kaspar, Bernier, and Plihal when it was clear that they no longer could produce here; why were players like Mitchell, Goc, and Grier tolerated for so long? Why didn't DW keep Curtis Brown or Travis Moen, both who signed for <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">very</a> reasonble deals? Why not keep Wellwood on his bargain of a deal?

It also hurts that whenever DW does address the issue, it ends up blowing up in his face (Grier, Handzus, Lemieux).

Add to that - why keep a coaching staff who's PK is steadily gone down hill?

sixgunsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post

Those kinds of assets are readily available on the market. All you need is salary, most times! Up front, why did DW take so long to fix the mistake in Handzus when he acquired Winnik? Why wasn't a guy like Moore signed in free agency? Why'd he have to wait for bargains like Malhotra, Roenick and Wellwood (despite the fact that they worked out) when they had the cap space? Why was waste-of-space Mitchell on the team for so long? I think DW was smart to get rid of players like Kaspar, Bernier, and Plihal when it was clear that they no longer could produce here; why were players like Mitchell, Goc, and Grier tolerated for so long? Why didn't DW keep Curtis Brown or Travis Moen, both who signed for very reasonble deals? Why not keep Wellwood on his bargain of a deal?

Thank you so much. These are my thoughts to a T. We have a great top-6 and a great top-4, yet our constant problem seems to be getting adequate third-liners and bottom-pairing defensemen. IF we don't make a moronic Nash trade, we'll have a very good bottom pairing in Braun and Demers, but the third line seems to have been a huge problem for years.

Hilariously, we have the perfect third liner in the system (Freddie Hamilton). Too bad he's a year away. Maybe a guy like Stalberg or Oleksuk will surprise.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Kitten Mittons

Our top-6 is great on paper talent-wise but not in practice. Four of our top-6 players are slow, and only one is gritty and physical.

We have a good team but it's just not built right.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Mafoofoo
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Our top-6 is great on paper talent-wise but not in practice. Four of our top-6 players are slow, and only one is gritty and physical.

We have a good team but it's just not built right.
While Clowe is the only one who's all about the grit and physicality, guys like Thornton and Marleau are big and strong enough that they can take a ton and not really flop and die. I only really worry about Pavs, Couture and ol glass shoulders when they go in close with other players.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

not worried ... yet

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
While Clowe is the only one who's all about the grit and physicality, guys like Thornton and Marleau are big and strong enough that they can take a ton and not really flop and die. I only really worry about Pavs, Couture and ol glass shoulders* when they go in close with other players.
and *thin hamstring.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

Is it safe to say that DW just isn't a very good GM?

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote