HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Porter signed (Yr1: $525k/$105k [2way], Yr2: $550k [1way])

Old
07-05-2012, 07:22 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
No official announcement from the Sabres yet. Seems a bit odd. I know they're not going to hold a presser for a minor signing, but they at least had John Scott on the website right away.
Well, Scott was also signed on July 1st so everyone was probably planning on a press conference anyways.
If they expect Porter to start in Rochester, I doubt they'll have one.

Plus, it looks like the contract hasn't been processed yet.
If it had, a Sabres logo would show up on his NHL.com player page and NHLPA isn't reporting his NHL salary yet.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
Maybe you misunderstood me. Players they don't see as viable recalls. A lot of NHL organizations sign vets that really only serve a purpose for the AHL team. It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a different philosophy.
Yeah, that has been part of their stated strategy for vet depth at the AHL level -- the guy has to be able to keep up if needed at the NHL level.

07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
Dfnswnschmpnshps

Quote:
Is that supposed to be snarky? There are all sorts of depth guys and tweeners out there many fans probably haven't heard of. That's what Google is for. Just because they don't have name value doesn't mean they don't serve a purpose, especially when it comes to filling out AHL rosters.
Wasn't supposed to be snarky at all. Another posted said he's played in the NHL for a couple of years. I just never heard of him. I have no issues with the signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
NHL only then because if you even watched only the Frozen Four every year you'd know his name. Great college player. Fringe NHL'er.
I've seen very few college games, so thats probably why. We will find out in training camp if he can offer something the Sabres need.

Dfnswnschmpnshps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
No official announcement from the Sabres yet. Seems a bit odd. I know they're not going to hold a presser for a minor signing, but they at least had John Scott on the website right away.
Maybe I'm taking it out of context, but I assumed that since he is coming to Buffalo tomorrow, he would sign the contract then. Despite the overwhelming evidence that it will happen (similar to Gervais in Philly), until the contract is signed, it's still a rumor.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
Maybe I'm taking it out of context, but I assumed that since he is coming to Buffalo tomorrow, he would sign the contract then. Despite the overwhelming evidence that it will happen (similar to Gervais in Philly), until the contract is signed, it's still a rumor.
I believe he flew into Buffalo this morning. (He tweeted last night.) The agent said it was a done deal. I wouldn't look too much into it, but it does seem strange.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
This really looks like a signing for Rochester. We needed to get someone since we've already lost players down there this offseason.

I don't know much about Porter other than he was part of the Mueller trade and that he is mostly a 13th forward and a 4th liner when he plays. He couldn't be the 4th line center we still need could he? For me, I hope not. And I hope we're not done because if we have Adam, Porter, Ellis, or McCormick playing as the 4th line center, we'll be in trouble. I'm still hoping for Halpern or a trade at this point. I hope that 4th line center spot is addressed soon.

Anyway, not a bad signing. I assume it's a two-way and he'll start in Rochester and he'll probably one of the first in line to eventually be recalled when we need him. Unless they think he can play 4th line center every night, which I hope to God they don't.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
This really looks like a signing for Rochester. We needed to get someone since we've already lost players down there this offseason.

I don't know much about Porter other than he was part of the Mueller trade and that he is mostly a 13th forward and a 4th liner when he plays. He couldn't be the 4th line center we still need could he? For me, I hope not. And I hope we're not done because if we have Adam, Porter, Ellis, or McCormick playing as the 4th line center, we'll be in trouble. I'm still hoping for Halpern or a trade at this point. I hope that 4th line center spot is addressed.
I think they're looking to fill third line center and the fourth line spot is going to belong to McCormick, Ellis, and Porter. I don't see anything wrong with that as long as they get someone to back up Hodgson and Ennis in the third slot. I doubt the fourth line gets much play this year, particularly on nights when John Scott's in the lineup and they're double shifting guys in his hole.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:04 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

awesome.......#boringgggg

Seriously what the hell is going on. Something big bettter be in the making.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:13 PM
Rammstein816

Quote:
I believe he flew into Buffalo this morning. (He tweeted last night.) The agent said it was a done deal. I wouldn't look too much into it, but it does seem strange.
My fault. I thought I read that it was this morning, saying he's coming tomorrow.

Rammstein816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammstein816 View Post
My fault. I thought I read that it was this morning, saying he's coming tomorrow.
No worries. Hard to know when things are posted.

Old
07-05-2012, 08:34 PM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Definitely a done deal.

Heres an article witb Rolstons comments:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...nclick_check=1

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerFan1 View Post
Definitely a done deal.

Heres an article witb Rolstons comments:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...nclick_check=1
Must be the Sabres are too busy putting the final touches on their mega trade to announce Porter on their own

Old
07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Must be the Sabres are too busy putting the final touches on their mega trade to announce Porter on their own
Eh, they didn't really bust down the press release doors to announce Rankin and Schofield either.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Rhett4
Cassidy Must Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Eh, they didn't really bust down the press release doors to announce Rankin and Schofield either.
True, but they had Chewy up on the website last year. I think this answers the question about whether or not Porter will fight for the fourth-line center spot. Resounding no! Good to know because the Amerks can certainly use him.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:32 PM
jfb392

Quote:
True, but they had Chewy up on the website last year. I think this answers the question about whether or not Porter will fight for the fourth-line center spot. Resounding no! Good to know because the Amerks can certainly use him.
They issue releases seemingly whenever they want.

I don't think they ever officially announced the Boychuk, Parker, or Szydlowski deals, for example.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:32 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I think he'll be in the mix, but he's got to know he's up against two Ruff favorites for that 4th line center spot -- Ellis and McCormick. Now with the lack of depth and the Sabres relative lack of size in the middle, he's probably looking at it from the standpoint of having the best camp he can, make it or not, but be the first vet recall option when the injury bug bites.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:36 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Colorado fan here. Porter is the most average player in every regard that I have ever seen. Did nothing well, did nothing terribly. Can score, pass, hit, skate, and forecheck, but will never be the best at it on any NHL team. He can play on a scoring line, but you don't want him there unless better players are injured. He can play on the PK, but you don't want him there unless better players are injured. Will almost certainly never be remembered in any game (though he did score an OT winner once). I won't tell Sabres fans to be happy about it but I won't tell them to be dismayed either.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:41 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Colorado fan here. Porter is the most average player in every regard that I have ever seen. Did nothing well, did nothing terribly. Can score, pass, hit, skate, and forecheck, but will never be the best at it on any NHL team. He can play on a scoring line, but you don't want him there unless better players are injured. He can play on the PK, but you don't want him there unless better players are injured. Will almost certainly never be remembered in any game (though he did score an OT winner once). I won't tell Sabres fans to be happy about it but I won't tell them to be dismayed either.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:21 PM
JPurp26

He just tweeted "@kporter12: Excited to join the Buffalo Sabres organization. The fans seem great already. Can't wait for the season to start."

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Aren't both of those guys only signed to AHL contracts anyway? My impression was that they aren't our property.

Quote:
Nice analysis. Sounds good to me, as long as he's for Rochester. Just a very "nothing special about him" NHL player that could probably really help out an AHL team. I have no problems with that. Again, he'd probably be a decent recall if we need him (I don't even know why I said if, WHEN we need him).

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Always love when people are all like "OMG THIS IS IT DARCY??!!! WTF" when we sign depth players. Yep, no organization needs those.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Aren't both of those guys only signed to AHL contracts anyway? My impression was that they aren't our property.

Nice analysis. Sounds good to me, as long as he's for Rochester. Just a very "nothing special about him" NHL player that could probably really help out an AHL team. I have no problems with that. Again, he'd probably be a decent recall if we need him (I don't even know why I said if, WHEN we need him).
Considering they own the team, it's hard to divest the two.

Agreed on the fit -- fringe NHLer who could be very good down a level. I like that Rolston likes him. Getting the Amerks some guys they can lean on for consistent offense would be great.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:28 PM
rkorchinski

Quote:
Agreed on the fit -- fringe NHLer who could be very good down a level. I like that Rolston likes him. Getting the Amerks some guys they can lean on for consistent offense would be great.
It's also great to bring up these younger guys with former pros. A little Bull Durham-esque...

rkorchinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Can score, pass, hit, skate, and forecheck, but will never be the best at it on any NHL team. He can play on a scoring line, but you don't want him there unless better players are injured. He can play on the PK, but you don't want him there unless better players are injured. Will almost certainly never be remembered in any game (though he did score an OT winner once). I won't tell Sabres fans to be happy about it but I won't tell them to be dismayed either.
In other words, he's the perfect depth signing for insurance against injuries while helping the farm team out. That's fine with me - it's more or less a signing to make up for the loss of Szczechura leaving the organization and gives the Sabres another option besides Matt Ellis to recall when injuries hit, IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:09 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
So...the Sabres shouldn't sign good players for Rochester...they can't suck but they can't be too good either?

The guy should be a stud in Rochester and put up solid offensive numbers, but because he's had NHL experience he's bad?

Besides, the Sabres don't have many prospects at forward who would be worthy of a callup. If we followed your idea, which would be putting the AHL team ahead of the NHL team, we'd be calling up guys like Sundher and Flynn when the rash of injuries strike...just to keep a vet in Rochester. This way, you still get the vet but if we get a rash of injuries we'd have someone decent of NHL-ready to call-up.

Quite frankly, it's the same crap we heard last year, that Morrissonn wasn't a "AHL vet" because he had extensive NHL experience. He was there the whole year...
He flat out said it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote