HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brenden Morrow to Pittsburgh

Old
07-05-2012, 10:00 PM
BumFortyOne

vCash: 500
Brenden Morrow to Pittsburgh

With Dallas seeming to be moving away from the old guard would they be open to moving him?

Right now he seems to be penciled in on the third line in Dallas, and even if his play has diminished he still would be an upgrade in the top six for Pittsburgh.

Would something like Kennedy + Strait/Bortuzzo/Lovejoy interest Dallas?

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:02 PM
eartotheground
steam powered gmjn

Send a message via AIM to eartotheground
Sold! Hope your pk is lookin strong...

eartotheground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:16 PM
SIDGENO8771

Love it!

SIDGENO8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumFortyOne View Post
With Dallas seeming to be moving away from the old guard would they be open to moving him?

Right now he seems to be penciled in on the third line in Dallas, and even if his play has diminished he still would be an upgrade in the top six for Pittsburgh.

Would something like Kennedy + Strait/Bortuzzo/Lovejoy interest Dallas?
how about something that isn't your scraps, also you have to talk him in to waiving his NTC

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:20 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

If Dallas moves Morrow I would expect it is for an upgrade on D, probably of the physical variety. I believe we already have Strait/Bortozzo/Lovejoy in Fistric and Rome.

Last edited by Mr Misty: 07-05-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:33 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
how about something that isn't your scraps, also you have to talk him in to waiving his NTC
Pens fans like to throw Kennedy into proposals because he is expendable. But that doesn't make him worthless.

He's a solid third line player who is young and still an RFA at the end of his deal.

Strait and Bortuzzo are both NHL ready as bottom pairing stay at home guys and Lovejoy is an adequate and cheap 6th/7th defender.

I could see Dallas wanting more value back, and I admit that this only makes sense if they're trying to completely clear out their old core.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Pens fans like to throw Kennedy into proposals because he is expendable. But that doesn't make him worthless.

He's a solid third line player who is young and still an RFA at the end of his deal.

Strait and Bortuzzo are both NHL ready as bottom pairing stay at home guys and Lovejoy is an adequate and cheap 6th/7th defender.

I could see Dallas wanting more value back, and I admit that this only makes sense if they're trying to completely clear out their old core.
We don't need more 3rd liners and bottom pairing defenseman

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:38 PM
TrillMike

Quote:

The problem with adding those d-men is that Dallas already has bottom pairing guys. Morrow isn't going to get us a number 1, but maybe a 3. I don't really see Pit and Dal being good partners for a deal involving our captain.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:39 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
If Dallas moves Morrow I would expect it is for an upgrade on D, probably of the physical variety. I believe we already have Strait/Bortozzo/Lovejoy in Fistric and Rome.
I admit that I'm not terribly informed when it comes to Dallas's defensive lineup. It wouldn't surprise me if they had guys they like already as their #6/7.

I do feel that Strait and Bortuzzo have #4 upside but they're likely to get overtaken in Pittsburgh by some of the blue chip prospects coming down the pipe.

As I said to Bennrocks, I could see Dallas wanting more value and the incentive is only there if they want to completely clean house and move on with Benn and Eriksson as their offensive leaders.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:39 PM
catters078

brendan morrow will only become available at the deadline IMO.

would Kennedy and a 2nd round pick be fair?

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:41 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
GMJN said Dallas is happy with the roster and done with moves.

To me, that means they'd only make a move at this point if it was too good to say no.

That's not this deal, IMO.

If Morrow asks for a trade this would probably work ... not saying he will ... but let's just say I would not be shocked since they moved out two guys he was close with ... one being his primary set up man for several years ... and they have essentially relegated him to the Bottom 6. I doubt he'll even get PP time at this point unless one of the forwards is playing the point.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:41 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
We don't need more 3rd liners and bottom pairing defenseman
That's fair. Was just inquiring to see if there would be any interest from Dallas's end.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:47 PM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
brendan morrow will only become available at the deadline IMO.

would Kennedy and a 2nd round pick be fair?
I would imagine that Dallas will be in the thick of the playoff hunt assuming Whitney and Jagr continue to play well.

Assuming Morrow is still contributing then I'm sure they'll just hang onto him at that point for the stretch run.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:50 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I would imagine that Dallas will be in the thick of the playoff hunt assuming Whitney and Jagr continue to play well.

Assuming Morrow is still contributing then I'm sure they'll just hang onto him at that point for the stretch run.
The is a scenario where that doesn't matter.

Last year they were in the playoff race when they traded Grossmann. He was expendable because Philip Larsen and Mark Fistric were ready for bigger roles.

It is plausible that Scott Glennie, Alex Chiasson, or Reilly Smith give Dallas enough confidence to move on from Morrow.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:51 PM
TrillMike

Quote:

God let's hope so.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:56 PM
BigG44

BTW ... if you wanted to motivated GMJN to actually make a move now rather than the deadline, my guess is he's asking for Eric Tangradi.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

What's Morrow's contract look like the rest of the way? Cap hit? And does a Dallas fan mind posting the projected lineup? Morrow seems like someone Anaheim would target to play with Getz and Perry. What do you think it would take from Anaheim? I think Cogliano would have to back the other way for salary and roster reasons.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:59 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
We don't need defensemen who aren't top pairing players (not saying Morrow could fetch that anyway).

Morrow is penciled in on the 3rd line and at this point he's still a better player than most 3rd liners around the league. I've been on the trade Morrow bandwagon for a while now but given the roster makeover we've seen I wouldn't have a problem if he stuck around. He's not likely to bring enough to make trading him worth it.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:00 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
What's Morrow's contract look like the rest of the way? Cap hit? And does a Dallas fan mind posting the projected lineup? Morrow seems like someone Anaheim would target to play with Getz and Perry. What do you think it would take from Anaheim? I think Cogliano would have to back the other way for salary and roster reasons.
Not a chance in hell I want an angry motivated Morrow in our division.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:22 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
What's Morrow's contract look like the rest of the way? Cap hit? And does a Dallas fan mind posting the projected lineup?
1 year remaining at $4.1 million (cap hit/salary)

The only thing GMJN has mentioned now is the Top 6:

Eriksson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder

Morrow will either player with Cody Eakin or Vern Fiddler at center. His RW's could be Tomas Vincour, Erik Nystrom, Matt Fraser, Tom Wandell or Colten Sceviour.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:34 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

I wouldn't mind keeping Morrow. He adds depth to our bottom six, and I have a feeling that he'll be motivated this upcoming season. All his buddies are almost gone, and he's probably aware that he's walking on thin ice.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:49 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
I wouldn't mind keeping Morrow. He adds depth to our bottom six, and I have a feeling that he'll be motivated this upcoming season. All his buddies are almost gone, and he's probably aware that he's walking on thin ice.
He's also playing for his next contract. I expect to see a pretty solid Morrow this season.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

How's Dallas's money situation? Aren't you guys a budget team and have added large payroll so far? Do you not think you will have to shed some? I envy you if true.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:09 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

We're still currently below the floor despite Whitney and Jagr. Also the Stars were purchased, finally, so they don't have a minimal budget but I doubt Gagliardi spends tons more money unless something obviously superior comes back.

Morrow is a huge question mark at this point. I'm sure Dallas would prefer defensive help and yet if the right prospect is dangled I don't think they'd hesitate too much. The problem is his NTC and how he feels about being relegated down the lineup. If Morrow believes in his health and wants a chance at the Cup he'd ask for a trade or at least make it known he'd be willing to go. Just not sure he or the Stars are at that point unless a pretty good offer is made by a team; Tangradi from you guys or say Spooner from Boston, type return.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:11 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Yeah, unless it's for a huge improvement on D, I'd be fine with Morrow at least starting the season in Big D.

Hope he's turned his game around though, last season was a disaster.