HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VI: The Nick Rash edition (Fedotenko signs w/ Philly)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
says who exactly? does anyone seriously think that Howson is going to get what hes asking for Nash? Can you name the last time a premier offensive player with a giant cap hit fetched anything even remotely close to what Howson is asking for? Who was the last one traded? Heatley maybe? What did he get, not what Howson is asking for...reclamation project, and a good player in Michalek whose really blossomed in Ottawa...20ish goal scorer and a reclamation project...and i think a 2nd for Heater....AA, Dubi, a prospect (Christian Thomas?) and a first is better than that...Michalek blossomed, Dubi isnt far off from blossoming...1 step back, but hes got the ability to be a real good 2nd line player. AA is a borderline 2nd or 3rd liner with lots of upside who plays a 2-way game....CT scored 50odd goals in juniors 2 years ago...fair deal, basically market rate.
I would offer dubi or AA + Hagelin+ spect not named miller + pick. 2 roster guys and 2 others.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:19 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
I like it, too bad we won't get Nash for that and have u seen this market? Semin is not taking a 1 year deal
he might....his value is really low...i dont think hes going to get what hes really worth...the guy is a legit offensive force, has a bad rep perpetuated by an anti russian bias. get him in NY, ask him to be the 4th option behind Richards, Gaborik, and Nash...and I think he could really bust out. thouhg, he was under the same situation in Washington and had some really great, and some not so great years there.

he could get a 5 years 30 mil contract this year...or he could take a 1 year 6 mil deal, score 45, and then sign a 7 year 52 mil contract next year. all depends on what he wants to do, and what crazy offers gms put on the table. if hes not willing to take a 1 year deal, id go to war with what we have, and probably, grudgingly, put a kid up where they may not be ready....CT, Miller, Yogan, etc.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I would offer dubi or AA + Hagelin+ spect not named miller + pick. 2 roster guys and 2 others.
i would MUCH rather trade dubi+ aa than trade Dubi+hagelin or AA+hagelin. to me Hagelins versatility is borderline priceless...stick him on the fourth line, or the first line and he will be productive in some way shape or form...a lot like Marty Straka for us a few years back...wherever u put him, he helped the team.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:21 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
he might....his value is really low...i dont think hes going to get what hes really worth...the guy is a legit offensive force, has a bad rep perpetuated by an anti russian bias. get him in NY, ask him to be the 4th option behind Richards, Gaborik, and Nash...and I think he could really bust out. thouhg, he was under the same situation in Washington and had some really great, and some not so great years there.

he could get a 5 years 30 mil contract this year...or he could take a 1 year 6 mil deal, score 45, and then sign a 7 year 52 mil contract next year. all depends on what he wants to do, and what crazy offers gms put on the table. if hes not willing to take a 1 year deal, id go to war with what we have, and probably, grudgingly, put a kid up where they may not be ready....CT, Miller, Yogan, etc.
With the dumb contracts being handed out, I see someone giving him at least 6m for mutiple (3-5) years

Old
07-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
i would MUCH rather trade dubi+ aa than trade Dubi+hagelin or AA+hagelin. to me Hagelins versatility is borderline priceless...stick him on the fourth line, or the first line and he will be productive in some way shape or form...a lot like Marty Straka for us a few years back...wherever u put him, he helped the team.
Me too but Cbj really likes Hagelin and u keep kreider and stepan. Dubi AA won't get it done imo

Old
07-06-2012, 12:24 AM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Knock off the petty arguments and flaming. Any more and I'll be forced to give out infractions.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
07-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
With the dumb contracts being handed out, I see someone giving him at least 6m for mutiple (3-5) years
if that happens i have ZERO interest in Semin. He could turn back to his 40/40 ways, he could also become even more complacent than he already hsa been and regress even more. id look at Doan, or frankly just go with what we have...force a kid to play...maybe not ideal, but it may be required.
Quote:
Me too but Cbj really likes Hagelin and u keep kreider and stepan. Dubi AA won't get it done imo
im not so sure...i think dubi, aa, CT, a first...something like that might get it done....fair when u look at what Heatley got. who knows though, Howson may have to get fired for a trade to happen, NOBODY is going to pay what Howson is asking.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:27 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
First, you're attempt to look cute, it backfired. The Rangers have stated countless times Kreider is untouchable. By Clark, Gorton, and Sather.

Shea Weber is a Restricted Free Agent. He's playing in Nashville for at least the 12-13 season.

After which he will become an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT.

They will attempt to extend him before the season ends.

Weber was the highest paid defenseman in the league before Suter got his new contract.

Staal earns roughly half of that. And is one of the top shutdown defensemen in the league. And he's cost controlled until the summer of 2015. At which point he will still earn less than Weber and Suter.

At that same time, Stepan, Callahan, Lundqvist, Girardi, Kreider will all need new contracts.

The salary cap going DOWN as soon as the new CBA is agreed upon.

The Rangers have made it abundantly clear Kreider, Stepan, McDonagh are untouchable for Nash. Who is roughly the same age as Weber. Weber is 26. Nash is 27.

Both command roughly the same cap hit. And will continue to.

The Rangers are NOT sacrificing their core for any one player.

They're NOT shipping off cost controlled young, premiere players for guys who earn twice that of their own, when the production is negligible.

Del Zotto put up 8 less points than Weber. As a 21 year old. At a fraction of the cost.

This is not a video game.

This is real life. Where general managers and their staff look for value in a salary capped league.

That's why Prust and Fedotenko were allowed to walk.

And why Pyatt was brought in. Because he earns less then both. And out produced both.

If the Rangers at a later time (next summer) find interest in Weber. They'll wait for him become an Unrestricted Free Agent on July 1st of next summer. They're NOT trading Staal for one season (less if there is a lockout) of Shea Weber.

THAT'S why Staal not getting traded for Weber.
Couple of things:

1)If Nashville can't get an agreement with Weber in the next couple weeks. Polie will most likely move him before the new CBA. The reason? He can get a better return because the older cap circumventing contracts will grandfather into the new CBA. Teams are going to offer him more now, than they will later in the year. Also, considering what happened to Suter, Polie will not allow Weber to walk to free agency for nothing. I guarantee you that is not going to happen. If he can't get him signed, Weber is getting traded.

2)Comparing Del Z to Weber is completely disingenuous. Del Z is not the same player as Weber, nor will he ever be. They have different skill sets on the offensive side. Del Z is a QB/playmaker, Weber is a shooter. Del Z is NEVER going to have the shot of Weber, even if he gets more points. He is also never going to be as good defensively.

3)As I have said, Staal will not be traded for Weber as a rental. He will be traded if Weber agrees to sign an extension.

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 07-06-2012 at 01:34 AM.
Old
07-06-2012, 12:31 AM
NYRSchrute217

Doan's been my FA target all along and would be the perfect fit. Really hoping he's willing to leave PHX

Old
07-06-2012, 12:32 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Doan's been my FA target all along and would be the perfect fit. Really hoping he's willing to leave PHX
I would assume he is the #1 priority until July 9th, but the competition will probably be fierce.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:40 AM
Gabotrick

I see it know as Dubinsky, Hagelin, Thomas, 2013 1st and 2013 3rd. Maybe another player but not that meaningful. Maybe Sauer if they think he will ever play again.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabotrick View Post
I see it know as Dubinsky, Hagelin, Thomas, 2013 1st and 2013 3rd. Maybe another player but not that meaningful. Maybe Sauer if they think he will ever play again.
Injured players can't be traded. They have to pass a physical.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:44 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

People who are throwing Hagelin in to deals should stop. He is not going anywhere.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
People who are throwing Hagelin in to deals should stop. He is not going anywhere.
When the hell did he become untouchable? Especially for a top six winger, or a #1 Dman.

He is a nice player, and I would love to keep him around. But he isn't going to be a speed bump in a major trade.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBergy86 View Post
lol you say this as if you're really sure.

You might be surprised this summer my man.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:21 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Its not even probably.

Its definitely not happening.

Why would Nashville trade Weber when they have him for another year.
The Penguins just did it with Staal.

Random Hfboards Poster: "I don't think Staal is being shopped or traded. Nor do I think Weber is being shopped or traded. But if something down the line changed and Weber was made available and they were interested in Staal, the Rangers have to make that trade."

How SupersonicMonkey read the above quote...

"Staal and Weber are both on the block and they will be traded for each other before December"

Old
07-06-2012, 01:23 AM
nyr5186

I love our offseason so far. While other teams are throwing big money at mediocre players, we're being patient and frugal. Saving our assets and cap space for the right deal.

We have pretty much the same team that finished first in the East. We will have no problem making the playoffs with this squad, even minus Gaborik for a few months. If we can't get Doan or someone we like on our terms, stand pat, let this team play some games, re-evaluate come trade deadline, and then possibly make some moves. Learn from the Kings.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:28 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr5186 View Post
I love our offseason so far. While other teams are throwing big money at mediocre players, we're being patient and frugal. Saving our assets and cap space for the right deal.

We have pretty much the same team that finished first in the East. We will have no problem making the playoffs with this squad, even minus Gaborik for a few months. If we can't get Doan or someone we like on our terms, stand pat, let this team play some games, re-evaluate come trade deadline, and then possibly make some moves. Learn from the Kings.
Kings made a massive trade last summer. just sayin.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:41 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

The issue with Semin has been Washington's propensity to play him without a legit centerman. He was deep in Boudreau's doghouse before Hunter came in there. Semin bought into what Hunter was selling and saw his stats and ice time increase.

I think the guy got a raw deal and is now being roasted by the experts over at TSN. The guys called him a coach killer, a non team guy and essentially a floater.

would love to see him show up and pot 40 so they can eat some crow.

It would be even sweeter if it were NY doing the celebrating as there is quite a lot of bile flung at the blueshirts by the commentators North of the Border.

Minnesota throws 200 million at Parise and Suter and its a good thing. If NY throws 200 million at Parise and Suter it what is wrong with hockey.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Primetime Powerplay
Muh Offensive Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killem Dafoe View Post
lol you say this as if you're really sure.

You might be surprised this summer my man.
Eh, I might be suprised, or you might be right, but I can not see Hagelin being just a throw in for a deal. Cheap, young talent in this league is hard to come by, and Hags has many qualities that make him different than the average young guy in the NHL

Old
07-06-2012, 01:51 AM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Kings made a massive trade last summer. just sayin.
The Kings also got Darryl Sutter as coach. I am amazed by how many people discount the impact he had.
He changed things up very quickly and I don't care if Richards and Carter were each cloned and their doubles dressed, coaching was a very big factor in their success. He gets players to buy in, he is known for that.
Remember, Sutter got turfed from the Flames for his failings as GM, even though ownership is soft in that organization and still is, as verified by, well, by just about every single personnel move they make, and as importantly, don't make. He got a new lease on his career coaching in L.A.

Thankfully, the Rangers already have that kind of coach.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:53 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
am i the only one against shane doan coming here if he is going to be the only "solution"? 1-2 years max and old. while providing leadership, who picks up the slack with gaborik injured? i know i wouldn't feel all that confident going into october

Old
07-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

We would be penny wise and pound foolish to include either Hagelin or Kreider in any trade deals...

Both guys could be money in the future...

Old
07-06-2012, 01:57 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
The Kings also got Darryl Sutter as coach. I am amazed by how many people discount the impact he had.
He changed things up very quickly and I don't care if Richards and Carter were each cloned and their doubles dressed, coaching was a very big factor in their success. He gets players to buy in, he is known for that.
Remember, Sutter got turfed from the Flames for his failings as GM, even though ownership is soft in that organization and still is, as verified by, well, by just about every single personnel move they make, and as importantly, don't make. He got a new lease on his career coaching in L.A.

Thankfully, the Rangers already have that kind of coach.
Where in my post or previous posts did I say/imply/deny that Sutter was not a major factor to their success?

You need to put my response in context.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Machinehead
Richards Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregNYR19 View Post
am i the only one against shane doan coming here if he is going to be the only "solution"? 1-2 years max and old. while providing leadership, who picks up the slack with gaborik injured? i know i wouldn't feel all that confident going into october
Nobody is picking up that kind of slack. The guy scored 41 goals. Pretty much every solution is a band-aid.

Closed Thread