HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Kyle Jean

Old
07-05-2012, 10:44 AM
bogans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Lets talented proven AHL star like JAM walk for nothing and signs a grinder to take his place. lol
if you were thinking JAM was gonna make the NHL roster, you are probably mistaken. And if he did he would've just petered out like a lot of the previous smallish, talented guys who could score at the AHL level like Dawes, Zuccarello, and even Prucha.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
bernmeister

Just one ? --- did this signing cost us any assets?
I get the feeling no, unless maybe it limited us from signing someone else this turn around.

But I like to be sure and ask..
Thanks in advance.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:34 PM
NYR Viper

The Rangers have quite a few open contract spots this off-season which is refreshing from years past when they had a lot of useless players under contract. This shouldn't restrict them and it is the type of move they should be doing more of. Try and find a diamond with these undrafted guys. Give them a chance to play big minutes in the AHL and if they work, great, if not, don't re-sign them. Rinse and repeat.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:00 PM
Jxmarts

At 22, Jean was older than most of the youngsters at camp and that combined with his size is probably why he looked as good as he did.

I don't have a problem with the signing, but his NCAA numbers weren't outstanding for his age. You never know what intangibles grinders might bring to the table, but I'd be surprised if he turned out better than Chris Chappell or Craig Weller (similar signings in the past).

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:02 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
At 22, Jean was older than most of the youngsters at camp and that combined with his size is probably why he looked as good as he did.

I don't have a problem with the signing, but his NCAA numbers weren't outstanding for his age. You never know what intangibles grinders might bring to the table, but I'd be surprised if he turned out better than Chris Chappell or Craig Weller (similar signings in the past).
Agreed. I don't expect much out of him.

Plus he went all "I thought we were trying to take that out of the game" when McIlrath and him accidentally crashed at prospect camp. That was weird.

Not big on this kid at all.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:46 PM
gravey9

did he sign an ahl contract or NHL 2-way? anyone know?

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
did he sign an ahl contract or NHL 2-way? anyone know?
it was announced by the rangers so its a nhl deal. an ahl deal would have been announced by the whale and technically have nothing to do with the rangers

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:44 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Agreed. I don't expect much out of him.

Plus he went all "I thought we were trying to take that out of the game" when McIlrath and him accidentally crashed at prospect camp. That was weird.

Not big on this kid at all.
Really? Our mean, nasty 1st round pick, who has a guaranteed spot in the organization - and who has served lengthy suspensions for illegal hits already in his career - comes in high on a guy in a prospects camp who's trying to make an impression and you immediately default to "the kid's a punk"?

I don't really have a problem with the play (assuming that McIlrath wasn't trying to injure him, only lay a big hit) and I don't have a problem with Kyle's comment either. In fact, I kinda liked the fact that his response was "oh he's hurt? ****er shouldn't have tried to blow me up then."

Agreed that the odds are extremely low that he'll turn out to be a star in the league, but I think he's got a good chance to at least be a contributor in the AHL - and potentially more. It's not like he was in juniors playing against 15 and 16 year olds; he was at a pro development camp and led the camp in scoring. More to the point, he passed the eye test - not just to me, but clearly to the Rangers brass as well.

Good signing. This is exactly how you should be spending your extra contracts.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:45 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
it was announced by the rangers so its a nhl deal. an ahl deal would have been announced by the whale and technically have nothing to do with the rangers
Also, he was slated to be a junior in college - it's not likely he would have left for an AHL deal.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Really? Our mean, nasty 1st round pick, who has a guaranteed spot in the organization - and who has served lengthy suspensions for illegal hits already in his career - comes in high on a guy in a prospects camp who's trying to make an impression and you immediately default to "the kid's a punk"?

I don't really have a problem with the play (assuming that McIlrath wasn't trying to injure him, only lay a big hit) and I don't have a problem with Kyle's comment either. In fact, I kinda liked the fact that his response was "oh he's hurt? ****er shouldn't have tried to blow me up then."

Agreed that the odds are extremely low that he'll turn out to be a star in the league, but I think he's got a good chance to at least be a contributor in the AHL - and potentially more. It's not like he was in juniors playing against 15 and 16 year olds; he was at a pro development camp and led the camp in scoring. More to the point, he passed the eye test - not just to me, but clearly to the Rangers brass as well.

Good signing. This is exactly how you should be spending your extra contracts.
I didn't call him a punk. I said it was odd, because it was a hard play and McIlrath's the one who gets ****ed up, and Jean is the one who starts talking about the hit like it was in the middle of an NHL game.

He passed the eye test because as someone else said he was like 3-4 years old than everybody else.

I don't dislike the signing, I just don't think the kid amounts to anything in the NHL. Not a bad contract, just sort of meh.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I didn't call him a punk. I said it was odd, because it was a hard play and McIlrath's the one who gets ****ed up, and Jean is the one who starts talking about the hit like it was in the middle of an NHL game.

He passed the eye test because as someone else said he was like 3-4 years old than everybody else.

I don't dislike the signing, I just don't think the kid amounts to anything in the NHL. Not a bad contract, just sort of meh.
Apologies for any misunderstanding - I didn't think it was at all weird. He clearly thought that McIlrath came in high and he didn't filter his reaction to it. I can appreciate that.

As to him being 3-4 years older than everyone else, that's way overblown. That age difference means a lot more in juniors where you can have 20 year olds playing 15 and 16 year olds. He's a 22 year old playing against a group of players who were primarily 19-21 (among the draft picks - I'm sure some of the other invitees were 22 and 23). The ONLY 18 year olds in the group were Skjei, Nieves and Andersson. It's meaningful that he stood out.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:15 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

He's a big dude and maybe he can be THAT guy who can screen the goalie on the PP and knock in 20+.

Yes, it's unlikely that he becomes an impact player but Tim Kerr once was a UFA too.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:36 AM
Pizza

It's unlikely the big kid ever does anything...but with our scouts and coaches ya never know.

Look at Dan Girardi.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote