HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Feaster is not one of the worst gm's!

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 01:24 AM
Flamesarmstrong22

vCash: 500
Feaster is not one of the worst gm's!

If you look at his track record he hasn't really done anything bad at all except for maybe the wideman signing, but in his defense you saw what the other FA D got paid, that was the going price and if it wasn't Calgary some other team for sure would have gave him 5.5 mil.

A list of some of his moves, since taking over as flames gm:

.Trading a old beat up centre in Langow for a younger, cheaper stempniak.
.trading a lazy winger in bourque, a average prospect and a 2nd for a guy with passion, alot better offensive ability than bourque and a Goalie who is a average prospect but also posted the best numbers in the KHL.
. Signing Alex tanguay a 60-70 point guy to a cap friendy 3.5 mil.
. Signing a hard nose 25-30 goal scorer in Glencross to a cap friendly 3.5 mil.
.signing roman cervenka who has a ton of skill and COULD pay off huge for the flames.
. Drafting Sven Bartchi 13th overall and he MAY turn out to be the steal of the draft.
. Picking up Blair jones who is a solid bottom 9 guy who can kill penaltys for next to nothing.
.picking up akim Aliu, who is big,knows how to get under the other teams skin and has some offensive ability and should be a solid 3rd line guy for next to nothing
.drafting mark jankowski who was a huge risk, but from what some sports people like McGuire and mckenzie say he could pay off big time down the road.

And those are just some of the moves he has made. And looking and that list and sitting here thinking, I really can't think of a move feaster has made that was really bad except for maybe the wideman signing, who like I said would have gotten that money somewhere else, so featser just gave him the going price, which yes was too much but it is what it is. And for every one is says the flames didn't need wideman, they are wrong. The flames were almost last in points by D men so wideman will surely help that.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:25 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

k. Doesn't help if he can't make the playoffs...

Old
07-06-2012, 01:33 AM
wahoyaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
k. Doesn't help if he can't make the playoffs...
What I came in to post.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:33 AM
lakai17

vCash: 50
what, still no rebuild?

Old
07-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Cogburn

I don't think Feaster is, but time will tell, but Sutter was awful...and Feaster has to clean that up.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:34 AM
Noori

vCash: 763
Honestly, I am less concerned with what Feaster has done and more concerned with what he hasn't done.

Twice Feaster has passed up opportunities at the deadline to trade players and recoup picks and prospects. Last year, he came out with a whole 'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me' speech. The team was underperforming badly and Feaster said changes would be made. The deadline passes, nothing happens, and the Flames ride out the season to a 14th overall pick.

The fact that he refuses to move core players who haven't gotten it done is also concerning.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:37 AM
MrMcGz

Feaster is terrible at drafting and signs over priced FAs. See the Lightning coming out of the lockout and their depleted farm teams for an example.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Clamshells

the flames can keep meeting the status quo and competing for 8th/9th place and never really be a threat, while fans blindly believe their team is relevant still.

im okay with that

Old
07-06-2012, 01:43 AM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Just read his really old thn articles (from like 2010) and then tell me he's an intelligent man capable of managing a major league Canadian Hockey Team. I used to watch hockey and follow a lot more, and whenever I needed a good laugh, I'd check those articles out. Hilarious.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
The PL3 and Regehr deals I was not and still am not a fan of. The Modin trade was pointless, I probably wouldn't of resigned Stemps this year. The Erixon fiasco was not his fault.

Other than that, its been all positive for big Jay. He has made the Flames a modern team in regards to their scouting and how they evaluate players. He has moved lots of bad contracts off our team. He has made us a younger and more skilled team. And I appreciate his openness about the state of the Flames.

Since taking over from Sutter, I'd rate him at about a B- for the job he has done. I'd still like to see him go out and get a #1C.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Elever
Hth

When you evaluate a GM a couple yrs or so after he's taken over, you have to ask if the team is better now than it was before OR if it's in a better position for the future now than it was before.

You can't say yes to either of these statements. They're still not a team good enough to go deep in the playoffs and their prospect pool hasn't improved significantly.

Even Brian Burke has managed to turn Toronto into one of the deeper prospect pools (although they don't really have a high end prospect other than Rielly now that Kadri is looking like 2nd line C at max). So at least the future in Toronto looks a bit better than it did before.

Feaster has just kept it status quo and their status was bubble team so he's failed so far.

Oh and drafting Jankowski can't qualify as a good move now. Mayhbe in the future but you draft those project-type prospects if you have a deep team/pool or in the 2nd round but Cgy needed more of a sure-fire prospect than another potential bust.

Old
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Well, I am sold. Feaster is not the worst GM in hockey and that is something every franchise should aspire to have.

Old
jfisher6
#thestructure

is the OP actually Jay Feaster?

Old
07-06-2012, 01:46 AM
BBQorMILDEW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
Honestly, I am less concerned with what Feaster has done and more concerned with what he hasn't done.

Twice Feaster has passed up opportunities at the deadline to trade players and recoup picks and prospects. Last year, he came out with a whole 'Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me' speech. The team was underperforming badly and Feaster said changes would be made. The deadline passes, nothing happens, and the Flames ride out the season to a 14th overall pick.

The fact that he refuses to move core players who haven't gotten it done is also concerning.
How can you even put that on Feaster though? How many have NMC-NTC's?

Is it really Feaster's fault if the players don't want to get moved?

Sometimes you have to look at the players and not the GM or coach.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGz View Post
Feaster is terrible at drafting and signs over priced FAs. See the Lightning coming out of the lockout and their depleted farm teams for an example.
Feaster isn't the one drafting players, Weisbrod and his staff are. So far our drafting record under him looks to be quite good.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:47 AM
boredmale

I don't think Feaster is a bad GM but the fact that Calgary has been a bubble team on the way down will make some question his moves.

If the mandate from above is to win I would say he is a good GM doing the best he can with what he's got, if the mandate from above is do what you think is best for the team, then he is a bad GM because he can't see what most NHL fans can(ie the Flames are a team dieing a slow death and it probably will just be better to tear the team apart and start rebuilding now and have a few bad seasons, then trying to keep the team alive on life support and paying for it a few years from now)

So basically I personally don't know how to rate Feaster and it's all based on what exactly Management wants for him to do.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:49 AM
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson

Here, I tried. Some of his articles.

http://m.thehockeynews.com/articles/...-playoffs.html

There's this gem too: http://m.thehockeynews.com/articles/...anization.html

Old
07-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post

I think its pretty obvious that his reluctance to move core players is mandated by the owners. Don't most Lames fans feel its an ownership issue?

Old
07-06-2012, 01:52 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
If you look at his track record he hasn't really done anything bad at all except for maybe the wideman signing, but in his defense you saw what the other FA D got paid, that was the going price and if it wasn't Calgary some other team for sure would have gave him 5.5 mil.

.trading a lazy winger in bourque, a average prospect and a 2nd for a guy with passion, alot better offensive ability than bourque and a Goalie who is a average prospect but also posted the best numbers in the KHL.
.signing roman cervenka who has a ton of skill and COULD pay off huge for the flames.
. Drafting Sven Bartchi 13th overall and he MAY turn out to be the steal of the draft.
. Picking up Blair jones who is a solid bottom 9 guy who can kill penaltys for next to nothing.
.picking up akim Aliu, who is big,knows how to get under the other teams skin and has some offensive ability and should be a solid 3rd line guy for next to nothing
.drafting mark jankowski who was a huge risk, but from what some sports people like McGuire and mckenzie say he could pay off big time down the road.

And those are just some of the moves he has made. And looking and that list and sitting here thinking, I really can't think of a move feaster has made that was really bad except for maybe the wideman signing, who like I said would have gotten that money somewhere else, so featser just gave him the going price, which yes was too much but it is what it is. And for every one is says the flames didn't need wideman, they are wrong. The flames were almost last in points by D men so wideman will surely help that.
OK, I'll bite. Why don't you go ahead and list me some of the GM's that are worse

Old
07-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Kezia
Benny

2nd worst.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Everyone knows the worst is Howson!

Old
07-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Flamesarmstrong22

Alright I believe the following gms are worse:
Scott howson
Garth snow
Steve tambellini

I know those are only 3 but they are the only truly awful ones. Feaster and the rest of the gms are all mediocre and there for tied. There are only few elite gms who are above the rest. Ray shero I believe is one, paul holmgren another, possibly even Peter chiarelli, and Kenny holland. The rest of the gms IMO are all mediocre and there for are tied.

Also you can't really blame feaster for not trading Calgary's core players. Ownership has strictly said many times NO rebuild, so if he doesn't have the ok from ownership there is no way he can start a rebuild. The whole thing there makes ownership bad not Kay feaster.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGz View Post
I have to laugh at this. The only draft you can judge Feaster on is the 2011 draft (and even that's too early).

He had five picks in 2011. Two have progressed normally (Granlund, Wotherspoon) and three have seen their value as prospects sky rocket (Baertschi, Gaudreau, Brossoit).

Sven Baertschi - on of the CHL's top players and owner of the highest PPG in any of the the leagues. Played in the NHL and looked phenomenal in his short time.

Johnny Gaudreau (4th round) - A player who dominated the NCAA as an 18 year old freshman, finishing a single point behind Chris Kreider in scoring. Beanpot tournament MVP.

Laurent Brossoit (6th round) - WHL finals MVP. Top 5 CHL goalie.

If this poor drafting image comes from the Jankowski pick, I have to laugh because it hasn't even been two weeks. There is a lot you can call Feaster out on, but drafting in Calgary, albeit judging from a small sample, has been pretty good so far.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:11 AM
thaman8765678

[QUOTE=Flamesarmstrong22;52204877]If you look at his track record he hasn't really done anything bad at all except for maybe the wideman signing, but in his defense you saw what the other FA D got paid, that was the going price and if it wasn't Calgary some other team for sure would have gave him 5.5 mil.

Meh not a big deal either way Stempniak didn't produce what he should have last year for the Flames while Langkow is a decent 2nd/3rd line centre. Probably a wash.

Bourque is lazy yes but was it really necessary to add a 2nd round pick and prospect to a deal where Flames were adding salary anway? I like Cammalleri but the deal is maybe a slight win for the Flames.

Decent deal for Feaster and if Tanguay continues to produce definitely a good signing.

Feasters best move by far.

.signing roman cervenka who has a ton of skill and COULD pay off huge for the
flames.

Signing bonuses worth millions of dollars to an unproven guy who has never played an NHL game? Debatable signing at best can't say it's bad or good at this point.

Very good but Feaster gets his scouts to give him recommendations so got to give the scouts half the credit.

We'll see what he can add. Played good few games last year I'll give you that but another meh kind of signing in my opinion.

Meh we'll see if he cracks the roster this year.

Big risk and can't say for sure either way if it was a good move.

And those are just some of the moves he has made. And looking and that list and sitting here thinking, I really can't think of a move feaster has made that was really bad except for maybe the wideman signing, who like I said would have gotten that money somewhere else, so featser just gave him the going price, which yes was too much but it is what it is. And for every one is says the flames didn't need wideman, they are wrong. The flames were almost last in points by D men so wideman will surely help that.[/QUOTE]

I can list a few really bad moves here you go:

-Resigning Comeau and Stempniak... yuck
-Giving away NTC/NMC like a parent gives away candy on halloween
-Trading Regehr and a 2nd for butter soft butler
-Failing to resign Oli Jokinen
-Having 2 wingers as your top 2 centres for next year.... fail Feaster
-Not trading Iggy/Kipper at the deadline when they were worth alot.... fail Feaster
-Wideman for over 5 million.... fail
-Spending to the cap and one of the highest cap teams... Fail the team is not a playoff team

Old
07-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
I think its pretty obvious that his reluctance to move core players is mandated by the owners. Don't most Lames fans feel its an ownership issue?
Yeah, the owners are also unwilling to trade Iginla. However, I feel that ownership and Feaster are pretty much on the same page. Feaster already resigned from one ownership circus in Tampa, and if he didn't agree with what ownership wanted, I doubt he would stick around or sign in the first place.

Closed Thread