HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raphael Diaz Files for arbitration.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:31 AM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Its not like this is all that uncommon of a move if a guy thinks he's getting low-balled.

http://thehockeyhouse.net/nhl/full-l...g-arbitration/

Plenty of respectable players go this route.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:01 AM
yianik

One of the legitimate gripes about this organization is how its thrown away younger players at a , in hindsight, low value, because it didnt give them a chance to develop properly with the team first. New GM, fresh start, lets not start repeating the same mistakes, and for crying out loud lets stop hoping for those mistakes to happen.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:22 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
Diaz was one of the pleasant surprises from last year, not many people expected him to make the team and he ended up being a solid bottom pairing defenseman. It was his first year in North America and he'll likely continue to improve. Weber had many chances last year and failed, we should be keeping Diaz and trading Weber.

Him and Emelin played their best hockey of the season together and it would've made sense to keep them together to start the year and get another top 4 defenseman but apparently we needed to get another bottom pairing D in Bouillon..
Definitely. Love the insta-overreaction around here about him filing for arbitration, lol.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:40 AM
rickthegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Definitely. Love the insta-overreaction around here about him filing for arbitration, lol.
You guys hit the nail right on the head..... you could even say that Weber has been given 2 seasons now to prove himself and he hasn't taken the opportunity. What Weber has done last season is come out in the media and biatch and moan about his p.p time, and stating that he has a better shot than " other guys who are always on the power play ".....I can only imagine the reaction in the locker room ?
As for Emelin, like others said, he was having a great streak on Diaz' left until he got bumbped by Kaberle and then played on the right or left with different partners for the rest of the season.
So the problems are not Diaz and Emelin.........get rid of Weber and Kaberle....

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:53 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
You guys hit the nail right on the head..... you could even say that Weber has been given 2 seasons now to prove himself and he hasn't taken the opportunity. What Weber has done last season is come out in the media and biatch and moan about his p.p time, and stating that he has a better shot than " other guys who are always on the power play ".....I can only imagine the reaction in the locker room ?
As for Emelin, like others said, he was having a great streak on Diaz' left until he got bumbped by Kaberle and then played on the right or left with different partners for the rest of the season.
So the problems are not Diaz and Emelin.........get rid of Weber and Kaberle....
Well, was Weber's comment wrong? He was completely right.
Weber's bread and butter is the PP, it's understandable it adds to the frustration he must already be feeling from being flip floped around from one Dman to the next, to the offense. This kid has been wasted.

Diaz is better IMO, but I feel for Weber. I think he's better than what people think, and he's been completely misused.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:21 AM
rickthegoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Well, was Weber's comment wrong? He was completely right.
Weber's bread and butter is the PP, it's understandable it adds to the frustration he must already be feeling from being flip floped around from one Dman to the next, to the offense. This kid has been wasted.

Diaz is better IMO, but I feel for Weber. I think he's better than what people think, and he's been completely misused.
Depends on your interpretation of his situation i guess. I don't see it as a waist of his talent. I see it more like an extra opportunity he was given when he was given offense time. As for his comments comparing himself in the media to certain teamates......isshhhh......I think given your " almost rookie" status, you should keep that to yourself, or at the least, not go to the media !.........by the way, did not hear Emelin question why he was not given a crack on the second wave of the p.p........it's not like our left side was killing it last year.
Anyways, I should point out and say it outright, I have never liked Weber....ever since he was presented to us like the replacement to Streit, he has been a disapointment....so my judgment might be blurred a bit ...hehehehe

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:21 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
( _) Well, looks like this is going to be

( _)>⌐■-■

a pain in Diaz

(⌐■_■)
came in to quote this

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:15 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Depends on your interpretation of his situation i guess. I don't see it as a waist of his talent. I see it more like an extra opportunity he was given when he was given offense time. As for his comments comparing himself in the media to certain teamates......isshhhh......I think given your " almost rookie" status, you should keep that to yourself, or at the least, not go to the media !.........by the way, did not hear Emelin question why he was not given a crack on the second wave of the p.p........it's not like our left side was killing it last year.
Anyways, I should point out and say it outright, I have never liked Weber....ever since he was presented to us like the replacement to Streit, he has been a disapointment....so my judgment might be blurred a bit ...hehehehe
Well, try not to be bias, there is no point to it really.
Would you consider it as a wasted opportunity if Eller was placed as a Dman next to Diaz or Gill?
Weber is a Dman, how is it an opportunity for him to play next to Engqvist for 4min in a game?
It's not because a player is dressed for a game that he's getting his opportunity. Eller has been here for 2years but I still don't think he's had his opportunity to be used as a true offensive player. He was given AK, and it worked well. Other than that, nothing.

Weber has had some chances though. I think he started looking better when he was regularly used as a Dman next to Hammer. After that, he hasn't been used properly IMO.

As for his comment, I dont endorse them. Keep your problems inside, but I think it just goes to show how bad the situation was within the team.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:52 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Not surprising and I doubt he gets anything huge. Either way I expect to see him in the lineup next fall.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
torero

Diaz is trying to get more money ! nothing abnormal in that.

her earns presently some 900'000 and something. Yet he'd love to get some 100'000's more. Who wouldn't ?? and seeing what Emelin got ... it makes sense.

Saying it is little leverage or little money ?? who of you can get an additionial 300'000 in the next year ?? and among the ones who could get such more money, who wouldn't try ??
if it was me, i would be stoping my post and heading for the office of my guy to get it !! ;-)

Diaz is not Sutter, Ovechkin, Crosby or another of these highly paid guys where 100'000 is "nothing" !. He made 900'000 -/+ last year and wants to have his honest share of money ... very human. He wants to be respected. understandable.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
One of the legitimate gripes about this organization is how its thrown away younger players at a , in hindsight, low value, because it didnt give them a chance to develop properly with the team first. New GM, fresh start, lets not start repeating the same mistakes, and for crying out loud lets stop hoping for those mistakes to happen.
You are confusing what counts as piss poor player/asset management that we have seen under Gainey/Gauthier with effective player/asset management.

You (as a GM) trade valuable assets from your team if you have an adequate supply of those assets to a team that is needing the asset that you have in return for an asset that will help your team.

Diaz is one of those assets. He has a decent upside. Not superstar but not poor either. We have a team full of DMen in the mold of Diaz. Why not trade him to a team looking for a Dman in the mold of Diaz with an upside.

Gauthier gave away a lot of assets for nothing in return. On the other hand, you see teams making trades involving good young players for good returns (Kings and Flyers.......Schenn & Simmonds for Richards).

Time to change the mindset in Montreal. Assets owned are valuable. Surplus assets traded for needed assets are valuable as well.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:31 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs13 View Post
Trade him
He's the one guy of all the light weights that we should want to keep.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
He probably won't get much..
Agreed. Besides, Bergevin doesn't have to accept the decision.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:08 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

I wouldn't mind losing Weber or Kaberle, but Diaz should be given every chance to succeed. Let's not go the Streit route again.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I really like Diaz. He started off rough and then he became a really solid player. Around October/November he became our second most reliable defenceman (After Gorges) but you could tell the long NHL season got to him. I'm sure he realized that too and is probably working his ass off right now.

I guarantee next season he's going to earn a regular spot in the roster and people will be kicking themselves for suggesting that we should trade him.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I really like Diaz. He started off rough and then he became a really solid player. Around October/November he became our second most reliable defenceman (After Gorges) but you could tell the long NHL season got to him. I'm sure he realized that too and is probably working his ass off right now.

I guarantee next season he's going to earn a regular spot in the roster and people will be kicking themselves for suggesting that we should trade him.
I like Diaz, but i don't see him as part of the future. People mentioned nice stuff like rookie all star team selection and 2nd line PP time, and i say perfect, lets take advantage of that. Now's the time to trade him while he has still has the look of a promising career ahead of him. Believe me, As guys like Beaulieu, Tinordi, Ellis, Thrower etc., start making there way up, Diaz's stock will plummet, just like Weber's has.

The big picture is that we're stuck with Kaberle for the next two years, and barring injuries, Diaz will be stuck in the 7th dman role for all that time. If it were up to me I'd deal Diaz now (you could probably fetch a 3rd) deal Weber as well (for whatever), and go out and sign a big bodied presence like Nick Grossman. Grossman is a guy who easily fits better into the future plans of the team, and who's stock will probably never plummet because he plays a simple stay at home game that teams always need badly. That's what i would do.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:10 PM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

I like Diaz more than Kaberle and Veber. Kaberle suffers from "not giving a damn" syndrome while Veber suffers from weak legs and body and being "dumb" on defense. Both suffer stupid moments like Joe Corvo and whole host of PMDs(i.e Mike Green) who are lacking in their own end.

He won't get much in arbitration if it ever gets that far. He might not get anything at all.

Madam Kadri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:27 PM
number72

Arbitration means he can't be traded.
He probably like Montreal and wants to commit to the team.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:06 PM

I would have given him Bouillon's contract + 1 additional year. I don't think he would refuse a 3M/2 year 1.5 per contract.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
I wouldn't mind losing Weber or Kaberle, but Diaz should be given every chance to succeed. Let's not go the Streit route again.
Streit showed much more in his first season of the NHL imo. Mind you he was much older.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

I'm not a huge fan of the way our defense is built. I like Gorges, and Subban. After that, it gets fuzzy. Diaz is a real wildcard in all of this.

Markov - The habs absolutely need him to be at his usual high level. Anything less will likely see this club out of the playoffs.

Emelin - A promising bruiser, with surprising vision, but also prone to silly mistakes. Habs need him to take another step.

After that, it gets even fuzzier.

Kaberle - a soft, one dimensional d-man. Often gets exposed if he has to protect the net area.

Diaz - An undersized d-man that shows flashes of mark streit light.

Bouillon - An aging, undersized d-man, but he's the only guy in the bottom pairing role that brings some edge, and physicality. That dimension might make him more valuable on Montreal than it would elsewhere.

Weber - Another slightly undersized d-man that often gets exposed in his own end, and doesn't produce enough to make up for it. He's at a crossroads, and I dont have alot of trust in him.

With all these questions on D, Diaz will have plenty of chances to prove his worth. He certainly has the tools to be a top 4 d-man. If he can earn that jump, it will likely be at the expense of Emelin, which then gives the bottom pairing an added dimension of ruggedness.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:17 AM
Marksman

After Emelin signing I think Diaz has good case for himself.

Different type of players but Diaz had higher ice time average and better plusminus.

Over full season Diaz should be good for 25ish points, worth maybe Chris Campoli type contract.

I prefer him over Weber, but would keep him too for the moment (younger, little more offence,
slightly more willing physical player on RFA contract)..

Last edited by Marksman: 07-07-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:34 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
If it were up to me I'd deal Diaz now (you could probably fetch a 3rd) deal Weber as well (for whatever), and go out and sign a big bodied presence like Nick Grossman. Grossman is a guy who easily fits better into the future plans of the team, and who's stock will probably never plummet because he plays a simple stay at home game that teams always need badly. That's what i would do.
Except Grossmann is (a) already under contract for the next the next four years and (b) gets paid as much as Subban, Weber, Diaz and Emelin got paid together last season. So not really sure either how you would sign him or accomodate him capwise.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:50 AM
Mr. Hab

Let's not kid ourselves...

Soft as butter...they're only here as fillers... and we know it...yes I agree that Diaz had some good games last season but he's still not a real Dman):
Kaberle, Diaz, Weber...softies/fillers.

Bouillon:
I'd rather see Bouillon (warrior with character) out there instead of the above softies. We need dmen that will protect Price and not let players fall all over Price.

Can't wait for this (real dmen):
Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Thrower
Beaulieu-Ellis
Emelin

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-07-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:56 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
for a d-man, playing for what is an opportunity ? an opportunity for what exactly ? show he's a good on the forecheck? behind the opponent net ? in the slot? yeah, it sure would help a d-man improve his game...

the last rookie to talk like that to the medias was given away for free and is now putting up 50+ pts seasons in TO...

You're disappointed the 23 years old D-man that Weber is didnt put 50+ pts seasons ? or that he isnt fully developped at 23 ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote