HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Feaster is not one of the worst gm's!

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 06:51 AM
Rangers4Life74

vCash: 500
i thought most Calgary fans hated Feaster?

as for the OP,Feaster is NOT top 5 of gm's.at best,hes middle of the pack and i think even that is stretching it

Old
07-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Deuce Awesome

As a sad, sad Leafs fan, you have to take guilty pleasures in other teams miseries to survive the NHL season.

The Flames, whom I was a fan of growing up and would still get behind in the playoffs, are just one facepalm after another.

I know most of the facepalming is on Sutter's watch, but Feaster to me is not far behind.

Watching the draft this year when he traded down, and then rolled the dice on a high school kid, summed it up nicely for me.

Just made me laugh and shake my head.

Calgary fans deserve better.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
As a sad, sad Leafs fan, you have to take guilty pleasures in other teams miseries to survive the NHL season.

The Flames, whom I was a fan of growing up and would still get behind in the playoffs, are just one facepalm after another.

I know most of the facepalming is on Sutter's watch, but Feaster to me is not far behind.

Watching the draft this year when he traded down, and then rolled the dice on a high school kid, summed it up nicely for me.

Just made me laugh and shake my head.

Calgary fans deserve better.
I find that the Flames are doing almost exactly what the Leafs did just before the 8 year playoff drought began. Time will tell though

Old
07-06-2012, 07:26 AM
ThunderRoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
If you look at his track record he hasn't really done anything bad at all except for maybe the wideman signing, but in his defense you saw what the other FA D got paid, that was the going price and if it wasn't Calgary some other team for sure would have gave him 5.5 mil.
Wasn't it the Wideman signing that basically set the UFA market price this summer for defenseman? Wideman signed prior to July 1. Agents for the other available D-men were I'm sure using that deal to negotiate for their clients.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Man Bear Pig

Pretty hard to blame a GM when ownership is clearly making the moves. We saw the same thing in Toronto with JFJ. He was puppet. Was told year after year to make the playoffs and sacrificed everything in his attempts. Could have sold off assets and gotten a youth movement going but ownership wouldn't allow it. I see the same thing in Calgary. GM's know when it's time to throw in the towel and I'm sure Feaster knows it's long overdue.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
OK, I'll bite. Why don't you go ahead and list me some of the GM's that are worse
brian burke
drafting better prospects
signing better players winning more games
feaster>>

Old
07-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
I think its pretty obvious that his reluctance to move core players is mandated by the owners. Don't most Lames fans feel its an ownership issue?
Yes. It's gotta be, no two GMs in a row can be so short sighted, without some sort of pressure from the top. So I wouldn't suggest Feaster is a full on puppet (too heavy) but I don't think he is free to tank or what have you.

Which might be good because I would not trust this ownership / management to properly reassemble the team. Call it a hunch.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Haj

vCash: 50
I think not trading Kipper and Iginla are good moves.

Generally, its hard to trade away the best players in the deal and "win" it.

Can't really judge Feaster on this year's offseason moves until we see how they do in the regular season. Draft picks are undetermined until they play in the NHL.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:50 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Alright I believe the following gms are worse:
Scott howson
Garth snow
Steve tambellini

I know those are only 3 but they are the only truly awful ones. Feaster and the rest of the gms are all mediocre and there for tied. There are only few elite gms who are above the rest. Ray shero I believe is one, paul holmgren another, possibly even Peter chiarelli, and Kenny holland. The rest of the gms IMO are all mediocre and there for are tied.

Also you can't really blame feaster for not trading Calgary's core players. Ownership has strictly said many times NO rebuild, so if he doesn't have the ok from ownership there is no way he can start a rebuild. The whole thing there makes ownership bad not Kay feaster.
Not sure if Snow is actually worst then him. Like others have said, they are still not a playoff team and he has about as many average to bad moves then good ones.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Grasshopperking
Oh salad days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I have to laugh at this. The only draft you can judge Feaster on is the 2011 draft (and even that's too early).

He had five picks in 2011. Two have progressed normally (Granlund, Wotherspoon) and three have seen their value as prospects sky rocket (Baertschi, Gaudreau, Brossoit).

Sven Baertschi - on of the CHL's top players and owner of the highest PPG in any of the the leagues. Played in the NHL and looked phenomenal in his short time.

Johnny Gaudreau (4th round) - A player who dominated the NCAA as an 18 year old freshman, finishing a single point behind Chris Kreider in scoring. Beanpot tournament MVP.

Laurent Brossoit (6th round) - WHL finals MVP. Top 5 CHL goalie.

If this poor drafting image comes from the Jankowski pick, I have to laugh because it hasn't even been two weeks. There is a lot you can call Feaster out on, but drafting in Calgary, albeit judging from a small sample, has been pretty good so far.
If someone can't judge him negatively for his drafting thus far, wouldn't it stand to reason that judging him positively is also impossible?

Old
07-06-2012, 07:54 AM
Tripod

[QUOTE=thaman8765678;52205741]
Quote:
If you look at his track record he hasn't really done anything bad at all except for maybe the wideman signing, but in his defense you saw what the other FA D got paid, that was the going price and if it wasn't Calgary some other team for sure would have gave him 5.5 mil.

A list of some of his moves, since taking over as flames gm:

.Trading a old beat up centre in Langow for a younger, cheaper stempniak.

Meh not a big deal either way Stempniak didn't produce what he should have last year for the Flames while Langkow is a decent 2nd/3rd line centre. Probably a wash.

.trading a lazy winger in bourque, a average prospect and a 2nd for a guy with passion, alot better offensive ability than bourque and a Goalie who is a average prospect but also posted the best numbers in the KHL.

Bourque is lazy yes but was it really necessary to add a 2nd round pick and prospect to a deal where Flames were adding salary anway? I like Cammalleri but the deal is maybe a slight win for the Flames.

. Signing Alex tanguay a 60-70 point guy to a cap friendy 3.5 mil.

Decent deal for Feaster and if Tanguay continues to produce definitely a good signing.

. Signing a hard nose 25-30 goal scorer in Glencross to a cap friendly 3.5 mil.

Feasters best move by far.

.signing roman cervenka who has a ton of skill and COULD pay off huge for the
flames.

Signing bonuses worth millions of dollars to an unproven guy who has never played an NHL game? Debatable signing at best can't say it's bad or good at this point.

. Drafting Sven Bartchi 13th overall and he MAY turn out to be the steal of the draft.

Very good but Feaster gets his scouts to give him recommendations so got to give the scouts half the credit.

. Picking up Blair jones who is a solid bottom 9 guy who can kill penaltys for next to nothing.

We'll see what he can add. Played good few games last year I'll give you that but another meh kind of signing in my opinion.

.picking up akim Aliu, who is big,knows how to get under the other teams skin and has some offensive ability and should be a solid 3rd line guy for next to nothing

Meh we'll see if he cracks the roster this year.

.drafting mark jankowski who was a huge risk, but from what some sports people like McGuire and mckenzie say he could pay off big time down the road.

Big risk and can't say for sure either way if it was a good move.

And those are just some of the moves he has made. And looking and that list and sitting here thinking, I really can't think of a move feaster has made that was really bad except for maybe the wideman signing, who like I said would have gotten that money somewhere else, so featser just gave him the going price, which yes was too much but it is what it is. And for every one is says the flames didn't need wideman, they are wrong. The flames were almost last in points by D men so wideman will surely help that.[/QUOTE]

I can list a few really bad moves here you go:

-Resigning Comeau and Stempniak... yuck
-Giving away NTC/NMC like a parent gives away candy on halloween
-Trading Regehr and a 2nd for butter soft butler
-Failing to resign Oli Jokinen
-Having 2 wingers as your top 2 centres for next year.... fail Feaster
-Not trading Iggy/Kipper at the deadline when they were worth alot.... fail Feaster
-Wideman for over 5 million.... fail
-Spending to the cap and one of the highest cap teams... Fail the team is not a playoff team
So then why is Brian Burke not rated below him???? Burke has had 5 years and has produced the 5th worst team this year. Calgary was better. And Feaster has only been there 1 year so far. Give hime time. Everyone seems to have given Burke the time, why not Jay? And FWIW...I am a fan of neither team so there is no bias feelings either way.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopperking View Post
If someone can't judge him negatively for his drafting thus far, wouldn't it stand to reason that judging him positively is also impossible?
how can he be judged negatively for his drafting in calgary?
he's been gm for a whole 2 drafts where he picked a gem at 13 in sven baertschi, got great talents in gaudreau, little granlund, the whl championship goalie brossoit and some real talented guys this season in jankowski, sieloff, gillies, kulak.... why not let these guys develop and grow a little older before you judge him positively or negatively?

but judging by bartschi so far, we got ourselves a winner.

why not go after burke for his **** drafting and horrible moves he's made in toronto? trading away seguin, hamilton, drafting kadri, signing connelly, trading for lombardi, signing komisarek.... these are bad moves. feaster is improving the flames.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:59 AM
IdealisticSniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noori View Post
I have to laugh at this. The only draft you can judge Feaster on is the 2011 draft (and even that's too early).

He had five picks in 2011. Two have progressed normally (Granlund, Wotherspoon) and three have seen their value as prospects sky rocket (Baertschi, Gaudreau, Brossoit).

Sven Baertschi - on of the CHL's top players and owner of the highest PPG in any of the the leagues. Played in the NHL and looked phenomenal in his short time.

Johnny Gaudreau (4th round) - A player who dominated the NCAA as an 18 year old freshman, finishing a single point behind Chris Kreider in scoring. Beanpot tournament MVP.

Laurent Brossoit (6th round) - WHL finals MVP. Top 5 CHL goalie.

If this poor drafting image comes from the Jankowski pick, I have to laugh because it hasn't even been two weeks. There is a lot you can call Feaster out on, but drafting in Calgary, albeit judging from a small sample, has been pretty good so far.

Yeah go ahead and completely ignore all of the drafts he had with the Lightning. As a Lightning fan, I do too.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:10 AM
DopeyFish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

So then why is Brian Burke not rated below him???? Burke has had 5 years and has produced the 5th worst team this year. Calgary was better. And Feaster has only been there 1 year so far. Give hime time. Everyone seems to have given Burke the time, why not Jay? And FWIW...I am a fan of neither team so there is no bias feelings either way.
Er

Burke has had to follow one of the worst GMs in leafs history, which decided the Leafs were still in win mode after the team was gutted during the lockout?

You know... The days when jiri tlusty was the leafs top prospect? When their best forward was Jason Blake?

Burke hasn't made the playoffs, sure... But the roster is becoming more and more respectable every year... The organizational depth from when JFJ was in is night and day - leafs have a great prospect pool to draw from now.

You probably don't remember when the leafs had an injury..l they called up John pohl... He couldn't even skate. That was our depth right there.

But yeah, use playoffs as your yard stick... It's still a marathon. A misstep here, a misstep there, but you fail to see the strides inbetween.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:12 AM
Buttonwood
feaster in the groin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
i thought most Calgary fans hated Feaster?

as for the OP,Feaster is NOT top 5 of gm's.at best,hes middle of the pack and i think even that is stretching it
When your claim to fame is that you're not one of the worst GMs, its safe to say no one really likes you.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:13 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Please make these threads stop

Old
RyanCallahan24*

''Feaster is npt one the worst gm's!'' Are you kidding me? Did I miss something, is it april fools?

Mention 20 Gm's he's better than, exactly.

Old
Flamesarmstrong22

I'm not sure what I'd rate him as a gm throughout the league cuz that's pretty hard to pin point, but I'd say middle of the pack around 10-17. But for fun lets just rate the Canadian gms:
1- mike gillis
2-Probably Murray
3- feaster
4-not far behind Burke
5-cheveldayoff
6- tambellini
* not far to rank bergevin since this is only his first 2 weeks.

Now for that list that's just my opinion. Some may not agree that I put featser ahead of Burke or cheveldayoff, but the way I see it is Burke has been leafs gm for five years and they still finished 5th last! Plus all of the atrocious contracts his given away( komisarek, connoly,) or brought in threw trade(lombardi). And for cheveldayoff I put him 5th because honestly I haven't seen him do anything. He's done good at resigning his players but other than that I haven't seen him do anything worth while since becoming gm.

Old
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Yeah go ahead and completely ignore all of the drafts he had with the Lightning. As a Lightning fan, I do too.
That Pitkanen pick for Fedotenko was pretty boneheaded but somehow worked out to a Stanley Cup so I guess it was "justified". Also what did they trade the 2003 pick for? Don't remember any real memorable pick ups around then. The 2004, 2005 and 2006 drafts were pretty awful too...

Old
07-06-2012, 09:19 AM
TheZec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridium128 View Post
came in here to say snow is worse
Came in here to say that I'm beginning to get annoyed with the assumption that NYI sucking lies on Snow. Every knowledgeable Islanders fan could tell you that Snow operates in such condition where success would be a miracle.

Actually, Snow has been pretty good when it came to trades, signing and drafting.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcGz View Post
Feaster is terrible at drafting and signs over priced FAs. See the Lightning coming out of the lockout and their depleted farm teams for an example.
Scouts draft, so far our drafts under Feaster we have done pretty well.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Flamesarmstrong22

@Dopeyfish
Uh sure Burke had to clean up JFJ mess and that's a hard thing to do, however feaster has had the same problem having to come in and clean up sutters mess. Our line up also gets more respectful each year I believe and why not use the leafs not making the playoffs as a yard stick for Burke? People seem to fine doing it for featser. If you look at the lineup when sutter was here:
Cammalerri,conroy iginla
Glencross,Langow,bourque
Dawes,Lombardi,bertuzzi
Nystrom Boyd moss

Regehr,phanuef
Giordano,sarich
Pardy, aucoin

And our line-up now;
Tanguay,Cammalerri,iginla
Glencross,cervenka,hudler
Bartchi,backlund,stempniak
Comeau,stajan,jackman

Butler,bouwmeester
Giordano,wideman
Brodie,sarich

I believe not only has feaster injected some youth in our lineup but he has made it a more respectiful team (IMO)

Old
07-06-2012, 09:28 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Is the OP related to Feaster?

Old
07-06-2012, 09:29 AM
The Hendog

Quote:

A list of some of his moves, since taking over as flames gm:

.Trading a old beat up centre in Langow for a younger, cheaper stempniak.
.trading a lazy winger in bourque, a average prospect and a 2nd for a guy with passion, alot better offensive ability than bourque and a Goalie who is a average prospect but also posted the best numbers in the KHL.
. Signing Alex tanguay a 60-70 point guy to a cap friendy 3.5 mil.
. Signing a hard nose 25-30 goal scorer in Glencross to a cap friendly 2.55 mil.
.signing roman cervenka who has a ton of skill and COULD pay off huge for the flames.
. Drafting Sven Bartchi 13th overall and he MAY turn out to be the steal of the draft.
. Picking up Blair jones who is a solid bottom 9 guy who can kill penaltys for next to nothing.
.picking up akim Aliu, who is big,knows how to get under the other teams skin and has some offensive ability and should be a solid 3rd line guy for next to nothing
.drafting mark jankowski who was a huge risk, but from what some sports people like McGuire and mckenzie say he could pay off big time down the road.

And those are just some of the moves he has made. And looking and that list and sitting here thinking, I really can't think of a move feaster has made that was really bad except for maybe the wideman signing, who like I said would have gotten that money somewhere else, so featser just gave him the going price, which yes was too much but it is what it is. And for every one is says the flames didn't need wideman, they are wrong. The flames were almost last in points by D men so wideman will surely help that.
Even better for a guy who plays gritty and potted 26 goals last year in 67 games
Probably would have lead the Flames in goals last year if he wasn't hurt for 15 games

Old
07-06-2012, 09:34 AM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Scouts draft, so far our drafts under Feaster we have done pretty well.
Exactly!

Weisbrod pretty much runs the show when it comes to scouting and drafting
Feaster only surfaces at the end to approve of Weisbrod picks and so far I believe he has approved all of them from my understanding

Feaster learned from his drafting/scouting mistakes in Tampa and has evolved - like a good GM should

Closed Thread