HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calgary Flames 2012 Prospect Rankings - #9

View Poll Results: Who is the Calgary Flames' number nine prospect?
Akim Aliu 3 5.66%
Bill Arnold 4 7.55%
Lance Bouma 0 0%
Laurent Brossoit 11 20.75%
Paul Byron 7 13.21%
Michael Ferland 10 18.87%
Markus Granlund 13 24.53%
Ryan Howse 0 0%
Joni Ortio 0 0%
Patrick Sieloff 5 9.43%
John Ramage 0 0%
Tyler Wotherspoon 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2012, 11:10 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Just announced he signed a one-year two-way deal. Sounds like he's done with the Flames unless he blows people away this year.
No its sounds like he has atleast 1 more year. I am not the only one that feels is was a better player than Nemisz as Crawford mentioned it on TSN. The only thing he has against him is his size he is a better offensive player and just as good defensively and is also faster.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:59 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
No its sounds like he has atleast 1 more year. I am not the only one that feels is was a better player than Nemisz as Crawford mentioned it on TSN. The only thing he has against him is his size he is a better offensive player and just as good defensively and is also faster.
I'd check your stats again. If Byron were such a dynamic player he would not be way behind Nemisz in scoring for the Heat. I would also think he would sport a better +/- if he were the better defensive player. I'm not seeing anything that would indicate Byron being a more important prospect, or a better prospect, especially with the signing. That was a last chance to prove something contract.

Also, You'd take word of Marc Crawford over that of the coach of the Heat and AGM of the Flames?

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:51 AM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Sticking with Ferland again, has nothing but improved every season. I think he basically a lock to be a good physical 3rd/4th liner in the NHL, if he can continue to score at the NHL level then watch out. Could turn out to be a Downie type player.
I kept pushing for Ferland in last years prospect poll. I don't even think he made top 15. Personally I'd have him above Horak, Nemisz and Byron, but right there with Granlund.

I'm thinking he will have a pretty decent year in Abby.

FLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:55 PM
Flames1217

The reason i did not pick Ferland is because I do not think he will get much top 6 minutes in Abby. Ferland's game is more suited for the third line, and Ferland himself loves to hit. Troy Ward utilizes player's in which he can get the most out of them. This is why Nemisz was playing on the second line this year. Even though Nemisz is the best offensive threat on the team, which was indicated through the beginning of the year(where Nemo was putting up a 1.5 ppg) The team lacked a true shut down center. I can guarantee you that this will at the end of the day make Nemo a far more well rounded player. If Ferland can play a true shut down role, He may be moved to the second line but Ferland's game though is not one which focuses on shutting down the opposition. Ferland loves to punish the opposition and this is why i think Ferland will play on the third line with Banks. Yes I still think his a safe bet that Ferland will make the NHL I just do not believe he will ever be a top 6 forward in the NHL.

I think Ferland's potential is similar to Lance Bouma, He has very high probability to make the NHL, just will never be a true Catalyst. Whereas if Markus Granlund reaches his peak potential he may be a second line NHL forward. Markus Granlund is already playing in a stronger league then the AHL and coincidently is playing as a main man on a team. Next year he will probably end up being in top 15 in scoring, as this year he finished 32nd to my memory.

To sum everything up I simply believe that Granlund has a higher potential than Ferland's. Ferland may be the safer player, but all prospects are still like playing the odds. Alexandre Diagle was seen as a safe pick back in the day so we shouldn't trust anyone. If everything goes well with Granlund we could have an extremely talented offenisve player, and one who could also play both ends. I have always been big on this kid, as I have been watching this prospect for a while. If it were up to me I would have him third with Sven Bartschi, and Leland Irving in front of him andJohn Gadreau being a very close 4th.

Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:34 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
I'd check your stats again. If Byron were such a dynamic player he would not be way behind Nemisz in scoring for the Heat. I would also think he would sport a better +/- if he were the better defensive player. I'm not seeing anything that would indicate Byron being a more important prospect, or a better prospect, especially with the signing. That was a last chance to prove something contract.

Also, You'd take word of Marc Crawford over that of the coach of the Heat and AGM of the Flames?
Never said that just said he saw what I saw. I put no faith in +- unless you believe Sarich is a better defenseman than Jbo as he has a +-. He also wasn't put in the same oppurtunites I saw abour 7 or 8 heat games this year and every game Byron was the best all around player. Also Byron had a ppg of .54 on the heat while Nemisz had ppg of .56 really he isn't drastically behind at all. He has also produced better in the Nhl than Nemisz and clearly Feaster believes he is the better player as he has been called up for more games than Nemisz.

Old
07-05-2012, 07:03 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Never said that just said he saw what I saw. I put no faith in +- unless you believe Sarich is a better defenseman than Jbo as he has a +-. He also wasn't put in the same oppurtunites I saw abour 7 or 8 heat games this year and every game Byron was the best all around player. Also Byron had a ppg of .54 on the heat while Nemisz had ppg of .56 really he isn't drastically behind at all. He has also produced better in the Nhl than Nemisz and clearly Feaster believes he is the better player as he has been called up for more games than Nemisz.
Byron is a year older, and is much smaller.

Those are the two biggest factor's as to why I believe Nemo is the better prospect. Nemisz has also statistically continued to progress at the AHL level while Byron kind of fell of the wagon last year production wise.

Also defensively I think Nemisz is better from the games I have seen, which again is probably due to his size and strength.

I would not be surprised to see both these players get off to a red hot start in Abbotsford and get NHL time before the 2nd half of the season.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 07:06 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
Byron is a year older, and is much smaller.

Those are the two biggest factor's as to why I believe Nemo is the better prospect. Nemisz has also statistically continued to progress at the AHL level while Byron kind of fell of the wagon last year production wise.

Also defensively I think Nemisz is better from the games I have seen, which again is probably due to his size and strength.

I would not be surprised to see both these players get of to a red hot start in Abbotsford and get NHL time before the 2nd half of the season.
The size argument is fair as Nemisz is a much safer pick, and I agree Byron did fall off this year but I like Byron's game more than Nemo's

Old
07-05-2012, 10:43 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
The fact that Byron is a year older than Nemisz doesn't come into play in regards to callups? Also, shouldn't a player as dynamic as you suggest Byron is be ripping up the AHL? He certainly shouldn't be trailing Nemisz in scoring or all around play.

Byron is in real trouble with Calgary.He's too small to play on the bottom six and not skilled enough to play on the top six. He has skill, just not enough of it to stick in the NHL, even on a team as skill poor as the Flames. Nemisz has NHL size and is very good on both sides of the puck. Nemisz will have a career probably similar to David Moss. Byron will have a career more like John Rhealt, unless he steps it up and makes a guy like Cammalleri or Tanguay expendible this season, which is pretty doubtful. The one-year two-way contract tells you all you need to know about where Byron fits in the long term plans. He has to blow the doors off the team this year or he's likely not offered another contract come next July.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:52 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
The fact that Byron is a year older than Nemisz doesn't come into play in regards to callups? Also, shouldn't a player as dynamic as you suggest Byron is be ripping up the AHL? He certainly shouldn't be trailing Nemisz in scoring or all around play.

Byron is in real trouble with Calgary.He's too small to play on the bottom six and not skilled enough to play on the top six. He has skill, just not enough of it to stick in the NHL, even on a team as skill poor as the Flames. Nemisz has NHL size and is very good on both sides of the puck. Nemisz will have a career probably similar to David Moss. Byron will have a career more like John Rhealt, unless he steps it up and makes a guy like Cammalleri or Tanguay expendible this season, which is pretty doubtful. The one-year two-way contract tells you all you need to know about where Byron fits in the long term plans. He has to blow the doors off the team this year or he's likely not offered another contract come next July.
Age has nothing to do with call ups its about who is the better player and I feel that is Byron.

Old
07-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Xelstyle

If somehow we could give Byron's speed and tenacity to Nemisz...*drool*

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Pretty hard to compare Byron to Nemisz IMO, they are quite different style of players. I think in making a case for who is the better prospect, I think the main question that needs to be asked is, who has the higher upside? At an NHL level, my vote would personally go to Nemisz. But it is close and a good discussion regardless.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:34 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Age has nothing to do with call ups its about who is the better player and I feel that is Byron.
Age and experience have a lot to do with getting called up. Also, the style of game a guy plays has a big part of a call up. Nemisz strengths are in an all around game, playing well on both sides of the puck and being able to use his size and awareness to make plays at both ends of the ice. He's not oberly physical, but he is really good at getting in the way and taking away space from the opposition. He is also good at making space for his linemates, which pays off in offensive chances. The Flames have been giving him time to skating so he can take that game to the NHL level, which he displayed he could do last season. Ward was very free with the praise for Nemisz calling him the Heat's best player during numerous interviews. The kid has a good future ahead of him as a player in the David Moss mould. Nemisz has a game that translates well to multiple lines in the NHL, which makes him a good prospect.

I'm still trying to figure out Byron. He's quick and has some offensive skills, but he disappears in the play. He spends most of his time on the perimeter and doesn't use that speed to his advantage. I think the Flames believed he would be a little water bug out there, like a Brian Gionta or a Steve Sullivan, but he doesn't think well and read the plays. He doesn't use his linemates overly well, nor make much ice for them by going to the open areas. He reminds me of a smaller Rico Fata, with less speed and physical edge. I've been waiting for him to put up some big numbers in the AHL, but he has yet to do that either. I'm not sure what you see in this kid, but I don't think it's coming through to the Flames. That one year contract is a signal to put-up-or-pack-your-bags. What you describe is a John Gaudreau, which Byron is not. Byron's size is going to kill him because he doesn't have that dominant offensive game that allows a small player to flourish, and that makes him a poor prospect and a huge risk.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:22 AM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Age and experience have a lot to do with getting called up. Also, the style of game a guy plays has a big part of a call up. Nemisz strengths are in an all around game, playing well on both sides of the puck and being able to use his size and awareness to make plays at both ends of the ice. He's not oberly physical, but he is really good at getting in the way and taking away space from the opposition. He is also good at making space for his linemates, which pays off in offensive chances. The Flames have been giving him time to skating so he can take that game to the NHL level, which he displayed he could do last season. Ward was very free with the praise for Nemisz calling him the Heat's best player during numerous interviews. The kid has a good future ahead of him as a player in the David Moss mould. Nemisz has a game that translates well to multiple lines in the NHL, which makes him a good prospect.

I'm still trying to figure out Byron. He's quick and has some offensive skills, but he disappears in the play. He spends most of his time on the perimeter and doesn't use that speed to his advantage. I think the Flames believed he would be a little water bug out there, like a Brian Gionta or a Steve Sullivan, but he doesn't think well and read the plays. He doesn't use his linemates overly well, nor make much ice for them by going to the open areas. He reminds me of a smaller Rico Fata, with less speed and physical edge. I've been waiting for him to put up some big numbers in the AHL, but he has yet to do that either. I'm not sure what you see in this kid, but I don't think it's coming through to the Flames. That one year contract is a signal to put-up-or-pack-your-bags. What you describe is a John Gaudreau, which Byron is not. Byron's size is going to kill him because he doesn't have that dominant offensive game that allows a small player to flourish, and that makes him a poor prospect and a huge risk.
We will have to agree to disagree