HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Scott knows his role with Sabres

Old
07-06-2012, 08:19 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

vCash: 500

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle936355.ece

I like this guy already.

Who does Scott go against first?

Thornton, Chara, or Lucic?

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:25 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

I'm going with Chara because Lucic I guess only fights guys who are smaller than him.

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
The Rock would love this guy!

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
It takes two to tango. Scott challenged Chara in a Rangers-Bruins games on several occassions and Chara declined all of them. Can't say that I blame him, why take a 5 minute break to tangle with a guy who won't have 5 minutes in total icetime for a game?

That said, Lindy could simply take the wraps off and tell him not to worry about instigator penalties. Just go out and throw 'em, let the guys pick up the PK for him.

07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It takes two to tango. Scott challenged Chara in a Rangers-Bruins games on several occassions and Chara declined all of them. Can't say that I blame him, why take a 5 minute break to tangle with a guy who won't have 5 minutes in total icetime for a game?

That said, Lindy could simply take the wraps off and tell him not to worry about instigator penalties. Just go out and throw 'em, let the guys pick up the PK for him.
Do you think that's enough of a confidence, ego, or whatever boost for the team? We just challenged your tough guy and he was TOO SCARED. I realize losing Chara for 5 minutes is too valuable to give up especially to an essentially useless hockey player. But, can they/do they still call him chicken and play a little bit bigger because he backed down?

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
Do you think that's enough of a confidence, ego, or whatever boost for the team? We just challenged your tough guy and he was TOO SCARED. I realize losing Chara for 5 minutes is too valuable to give up especially to an essentially useless hockey player. But, can they/do they still call him chicken and play a little bit bigger because he backed down?
I'm sure Sabres fans will take it like that, but can you blame Chara? You're arguably the best defenseman in the league and you're taking yourself off the ice for five minutes to fight a goon who can't play. Buffalo will take that trade every time. I think the Bruins guys will just laugh at him, call him obsolete, and move on. The benefit will come from having him there so that the Bruins take fewer liberties.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:16 AM
littletonhockeycoach

I like his attitude and his read of last years Miller-Lucic situation. He knows why he is here and it sounds like he relishes that role. Maybe with a little coaching, he can contribute a few minutes of decent D play as well.

Between Scott and Ott and Goose's departure, Darcy has substantially addressed the lack of toughness issue.

Now, let's get that Center we need.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
The Rock would love this guy!
Oh screw you, I was coming in here to make a The Rock reference.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'm sure Sabres fans will take it like that, but can you blame Chara? You're arguably the best defenseman in the league and you're taking yourself off the ice for five minutes to fight a goon who can't play. Buffalo will take that trade every time. I think the Bruins guys will just laugh at him, call him obsolete, and move on. The benefit will come from having him there so that the Bruins take fewer liberties.
Yeah I figured as much. As I said I realize its not an even tradeoff but just thinking they could use it to some advantage. No trash talking even?

Ott: "Ah, poor little Chara too scared of the Boogie Man? You don't wanna get your pretty little face THUNDERSTRUCK?".

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:23 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post

Between Scott and Ott and Goose's departure, Darcy has substantially addressed the lack of toughness issue.

Now, let's get that Center we need.
They've got a ways to go in terms of toughness, I think.

I like his attitude.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
To the guy being challenged, it's a "hey, I'm a real hockey player, go f' yourself" response. To the challenger, it's "hey, chicken ****, man up". I suspect fans of both teams are going to have one helluva interesting year justifying/defending/debating what goes on between these two teams.

Quote:
Pretty much. And like I said, it's a freaking two minute powerplay. Go take the penalty and get it on. Stop acting like being short for 2 minutes or in the box for 17 is some great punishment. If there is beating to be done, commence with it and stop hiding behind the chance of a PK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
They've got a ways to go in terms of toughness, I think.

I like his attitude.
Yeah. They have three regular defensemen who play a mildly to fairly rugged game (Myers, Weber, Regehr) but almost no one in the top 9 forwards does. Scott's a nice addition, but does not solve the relative spinelessness of the majority of the roster.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
DixonWard15

Quote:
Yeah. They have three regular defensemen who play a mildly to fairly rugged game (Myers, Weber, Regehr) but almost no one in the top 9 forwards does. Scott's a nice addition, but does not solve the relative spinelessness of the majority of the roster.
Foligno and Ott are both top 9 forwards that bring toughness, Tropp, Gerbe and Kaleta are 3rd/4th liners that do it as well. The new additions plus the removal of Roy suddenly makes the club look tougher.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:42 AM
dkollidas

Scott is the enforcer, Ott is the instigator, and watching Foligno last year, I don't think he's afraid of anyone, so that's at least two guys in the top-9 who aren't afraid to fight and one who's job is to enforce their instigating/physical ways. I like it, doesn't solve all out problems, but it's a start.

dkollidas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:49 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Thornton won't get to fight below his weight class at least. And he won't get to harass Vanek, either.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:53 AM
gallagt01

Anyone getting the feeling that Scott may dress in more games than we all originally thought?

Quote:

Ott and Foligno are nice additions to the top nine in terms of toughness.

I'd love if Regier could finagle Boyle away from the Rags to center the third line.

Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Boyle-Ott

Or hell, spread those guys around.

Ott-Hodgson-Vanek
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Boyle-Pominville

Old
07-06-2012, 09:59 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I really wish we'd stop talking about Boston at some point.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ok, they have 7 guys in their top 9 who don't initiate much of a physical game and three of their six defensemen. That's still pretty soft. Are they mildly better than they were at this point last year? Sure. That doesn't suddenly make this a tough team. They're pretty middle of the pack since they rely upon kids and a select few vets (Ott, Regehr) who they had to acquire to lead them youth.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Afino
The Juice

Vancouver molded their team to try and beat Boston too. That got them real far.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderMogilny89 View Post
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle936355.ece

I like this guy already.

Who does Scott go against first?

Thornton, Chara, or Lucic?
Thornton. Unlike the other two it's his job to fight.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:07 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
I really wish we'd stop talking about Boston at some point.
Agreed. Boston isn't the only team we're trying to beat. We're adding toughness and jam to a lineup desperate for it to better our chances at winning a championship...not just to beat the big bad bruins.

Why are they the exemplary model?

Last edited by gallagt01: 07-06-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old
07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Agreed. Boston isn't the only team we're trying to beat. We're adding toughness and jam to a lineup desperate for it to better our chances at winning a championship...not just to beat the big bad bruins.

You're really asking why the additons of Scott, etc are being discussed in relation to the Bruins?

Old
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

It isn't about holding them up to just the Bruins. This team has been buttercream frosting for years. Look at the top end teams in the East, the teams that are in Cup contention and you don't see a lot of cream puff lineups. The Rangers, the Penguins, the Bruins and the Flyers all play a heavy game. Winnipeg does too, and Carlyle is saying the Leafs will be too. The issue is with the ability to initiate it rather than simply always receive it.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:29 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Ok, they have 7 guys in their top 9 who don't initiate much of a physical game and three of their six defensemen. That's still pretty soft. Are they mildly better than they were at this point last year? Sure. That doesn't suddenly make this a tough team.
Mildly better than at this point last season?

At this point last year Foligno, Tropp and McNabb weren't part of the discussion as potential roster players. They've also added Ott and Scott. Thats 5 players that weren't in the mix at this time last year.

They obviously still have McCormick, Kaleta, Regehr and Weber.

and the offseason is not over yet.

Quote:
They're pretty middle of the pack since they rely upon kids and a select few vets (Ott, Regehr) who they had to acquire to lead them youth.

Don't you think you're getting a little nitpicky now?

You've wanted them to address toughness and become harder to play against. They've drafted Kassian, McNabb, Foligno, Girgensons, Kea, Nelson in the last few years. They've signed McCormick to a 3 year deal, They've trade for Ott and signed Scott. Why is it a bad thing that its kids and vet acquistions? What other way should they have done it?

Do they have more to do? Some but I'm getting the sense that it will never be enough.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-06-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old
07-06-2012, 10:33 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Thornton won't get to fight below his weight class at least. And he won't get to harass Vanek, either.
Yep. With all of the hoopla over the Lucic incident many forget that Thornton probably takes more liberties than any Bruin when we play them. Unlike Chara and Lucic, he really has no justification to walk away from a fight.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Mildly better than at this point last season?

At this point last year Foligno, Tropp and McNabb weren't part of the discussion as potential roster players. They've also added Ott and Scott. Thats 5 players that weren't in the mix at this time last year.

They obviously still have McCormick, Kaleta, Regehr and Weber.

and the offseason is not over yet.

Don't you think you're getting a little nitpicky now?

You've wanted them to address toughness and become harder to play against. They've drafted Kassian, McNabb, Foligno, Girgensons, Kea, Nelson in the last few years. They've signed McCormick to a 3 year deal, They've trade for Ott and signed Scott.

Do they have more to do? Some but I'm getting the sense that it will never be enough.
Let's look at what they have for a moment:

McCormick is not the guy he was pre-concussion and pre-contract. He's a ghost of his former self. Will he rebound? That's a big question given how much he's making compared to more effective players at his role.

Weber's game slipped considerably last season to the point it's possible he is the odd man out when it comes time to sort out the backline, because he's stunk in his recent body of work.

Kaleta playing more than 60 games is not a given. He's brittle and inconsistent with his hitting due to injury. The wear was showing last year -- Ott being around will likely spark him up a bit, but how much can he take? What's he going to break this time?

And Regehr was on the team at this point last year.

They're still relying on the kids to do stand up and shoulder a lot of the load in this area. Can they? Maybe. Will they? That remains to be seen. Enough previous Sabres get to a point with their physical investment and then pull back. Foligno in the top 9, great. Is Tropp a legit top 9 forward at this point? Maybe, maybe not. McNabb's on the outside looking in per Regier's comments.

I don't think it's nitpicking at all to point out the lower line grit guys they have may not be up to the task, that they may not operate up to levels from the past.