HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do with their two 2013 3rd round picks?
Trade both picks 15 36.59%
Trade one pick, but keep the other 10 24.39%
Hang on to both picks 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 08:41 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

Continue onward.

07-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
****ing Howson and his Rash.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:43 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
There could be a player available who hasn't been mentioned. It was time to move on from Rash 5 months ago. Sather was dumb to engage Howson in trade talks again.
RB intrigues us again with mystical hints (remember who first started with the Erixon ideas??) of insider info.
Are you the Bruce Wayne of Gotham RB?
And tell us who you are insinuating???
Interesting...

Old
07-06-2012, 08:45 AM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
RB intrigues us again with mystical hints (remember who first started with the Erixon ideas??) of insider info.
Are you the Bruce Wayne of Gotham RB?
And tell us who you are insinuating???
Interesting...
Well i think its safe to say Bruce Wayne didnt get beat up at the bus stop ;-)

He is probably right there are trades to be had. Sather will find us scoring but he's not blowing up the team as presently constructed to do so.

Old
07-06-2012, 08:49 AM
nsvoyageurs

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

NYR still very interested in Rick Nash, but, they're not willing to wait forever. Currently exploring other options as well. Someone blink.
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Old
07-06-2012, 09:00 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Howson is diggng himself a grave.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:02 AM
NikC

i'm all for making some moves this offseason, but after looking at the crop of UFAs in 2013... wow the list is staggering. I know a good amount will most likely be resigned, but still... lots of options to address anything lacking and or address a big need.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:07 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
i'm all for making some moves this offseason, but after looking at the crop of UFAs in 2013... wow the list is staggering. I know a good amount will most likely be resigned, but still... lots of options to address anything lacking and or address a big need.
Please post full list of UFA 2013.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:08 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Please post full list of UFA 2013.

http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.p...1&fa_type_id=2

Old
07-06-2012, 09:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Only player in the NHL is Nick Rash? Somehow the NHL has thrived and become a $3.3B sport without Rash being a marquee guy.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:15 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey
The Staal situation was nothing like the Weber situation.

Brandon Sutter does not = Marc Staal.

And Jordan Staal does not = Shea Weber.

The Rangers are not trading Staal for Weber when he can potentially be had as an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT next summer.
The Staal situation is exactly like the Weber situation. You say the Rangers wont trade for Weber since he could potentially be had for free next Summer. Then why exactly is that not true for Carolina? Carolina KNEW that Jordon just turned down a 60million contract so he could sign with them next year, and still traded for him. The Rangers pretty much knew Richards was going to sign with them, so they didn't trade for him. If this discussion occurred before the draft, you probably would have said, "Carolina will never trade for Staal, they are going to get him for free next year." And you would have been wrong. People dealing is absolutes are often wrong.

Now why was Carolina willing to make this trade? Because they knew he would extend his contract. No one in their right mind would trade Staal straight up for a guy with one year on his contract. That is why when scenarios like this occur(If in fact Nashville was actively shopping Weber), that bidding teams would get to speak to him in the hopes of agreeing on a contract extension before making any trades. Nashville would allow this so get a better return than a "rental package".

I know you are against hypothetical situations and want to flip out and not let anyone talk about them. But the hypothetical situation is this...

1.) Nashville tries to extend Weber, and Weber claims he doesnt want to stay in Nashville.
2.) Nashville begins shopping Weber around. Weber claims he would be willing to sign an extension with a different team. One of those teams being the Rangers.
3.) If Weber agrees to the extension, and Nashville asks for Staal+ as the return, do you do it?

Not a single person here has claimed the Rangers are shopping Staal. Not a single person here claimed that Nashville has made Weber available. We are just talking about a hypothetical situation. I think most people realize the chances of this happening is less than 5%. Maybe less than 1%. No one really cares that you think its never going to happen. People want to discuss the possibility of the offer, not the possibility of it happening.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Only player in the NHL is Nick Rash? Somehow the NHL has thrived and become a $3.3B sport without Rash being a marquee guy.
Exactly just move on other teams will make moved. Ryan clowr for anisimov or dubi. Roy n Ott type deal

Old
07-06-2012, 09:24 AM
MadHookUp

Now that I am the 15th person to try and explain to SupersonicMonkey what a hypothetical question is, I will throw in my 2 cents.

I think if Weber was made available and was willing to sign an extension, I would move Staal in a hearbeat. I love the guy and don't want him to be traded. But this move would allow DZ to move up to the top 4, and give room for an Erixon/Stralman bottom pair. It also addresses our need for a big shot on the power play.

I think the scary truth is that we are going to be forced to move Staal at some point before he becomes an UFA. I think he is going to bolt to Carolina once he does. I don't think this is lost on most GMs, so Staal's value is at its highest since he has 3 years left on his contract, and it could go down each year as he gets closer to UFA.

I was originally thinking that we could possibly speed things up and move him to Carolina, but other than Skinner(which I doubt they trade), I don't know what we could ask in return.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:25 AM
DutchShamrock

Is Weber pretty much guaranteeing that he's leaving his current team next year to go pay on his brother's team?

Then it's not the same thing. This belongs in the video game thread.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
DAMN!

Getzlaf, Ryan
Perry, Corey
Hartnell, Scott
Whitney, Ryan
Zajac, Travis
Clowe, Ryane
Iginla, Jarome
Zubrus, Dainius
Gagne, Simon
Torres, Raffi
Bouchard, Pierre-Marc
Ribeiro, Mike

Old
07-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
DAMN!

Getzlaf, Ryan
Perry, Corey
Hartnell, Scott
Whitney, Ryan
Zajac, Travis
Clowe, Ryane
Iginla, Jarome
Zubrus, Dainius
Gagne, Simon
Torres, Raffi
Bouchard, Pierre-Marc
Ribeiro, Mike
yea, just a few weeks ago Crosby and Staal were on that list. It's going to shrink....dramatically.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
bleedblue94

im not interested in waiting for free agents who very possibly will never see ufa status. the crop for next year has already taken allot of hits, and there are almost 12 month for allot of those top tier potential ufas to either resign or be traded and resign with their new clubs. look what happened this year with players resigning before ufa, and the massive over payments for 2nd tier guys bc everyone else resigned before ufa. all this talk of nash's contract is getting allittle ridiculous with how the cap has gone up and spending is happening. on the open market he absolutely would be able to get 7.8 annually (this season's ufa spending should show that).

so lets just get this done

nash for haglin OR anisimov + dubinsky + thomas + 2013 1st + 2014 3rd

get this over with already

Last edited by bleedblue94: 07-06-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old
07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
Now that I am the 15th person to try and explain to SupersonicMonkey what a hypothetical question is, I will throw in my 2 cents.

I think if Weber was made available and was willing to sign an extension, I would move Staal in a hearbeat. I love the guy and don't want him to be traded. But this move would allow DZ to move up to the top 4, and give room for an Erixon/Stralman bottom pair. It also addresses our need for a big shot on the power play.

I think the scary truth is that we are going to be forced to move Staal at some point before he becomes an UFA. I think he is going to bolt to Carolina once he does. I don't think this is lost on most GMs, so Staal's value is at its highest since he has 3 years left on his contract, and it could go down each year as he gets closer to UFA.

I was originally thinking that we could possibly speed things up and move him to Carolina, but other than Skinner(which I doubt they trade), I don't know what we could ask in return.
Based on what? Because he has to play with his brothers? What credible evidence do you have that suggests he wants out of NY to play in Carolina 4 seasons from now?

Old
07-06-2012, 09:32 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Based on what? Because he has to play with his brothers? What credible evidence do you have that suggests he wants out of NY to play in Carolina 4 seasons from now?
there is NONE

however as i have stated for weeks NYR needs to decide which TWO of staal, mcd, and mdz they are going to keep. they are all left side d and all will require big contracts moving forward. one will be forced on the 3rd pairing and you cannot take up allot of $$ for a guy getting 3rd paring minutes

Old
07-06-2012, 09:33 AM
DutchShamrock

A top flight defenseman is not a need of the Rangers. Why would they trade Staal's great contract to bring in Weber for 1 year when he is not a need? Why take money away from getting forwards and adding to the bottom defensive pairings?

We need goals and we need to reduce the minutes that Staal, Girardi and McD play so that they can maintain their elite shutdown status into June. Swapping Staal for Weber does not make anyone play any few minutes, it strains your cap and the add ins for the deal, like Kreider, Miller, Stepan, MDZ while further set the team back.

UFA age is a point of contention in the new CBA. Hypothetically if UFA age doesn't go up, Nashville hypothetically may trade him if they feel like they will lose him for nothing. So we lose Staal ++ and potentially lose Weber. If the UFA age does go up, Weber will not be available.

-Luongo is on another level from Biron. If you get a chance to upgrade his position, you go out and do it- That's where this is going with this hypothetical line of thinking. No one is doubting that Weber is better than Staal, me and SSM are debating the statement that "you have to trade Staal for Weber if you get the chance". There are needs, are there are wants. Weber is not a need at his salary, potential UFA status, and cost in a trade.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Jeez that's a pretty nice list:

Forwards:
Iginla
Elias
Perry
Getzlaf
Ribeiro
Lupul
Hartnell
Horton
Roy
Zajac
Clowe
Weiss
Filppula

Defense:
Streit
R. Whitney (EDM)
Enstrom
Edler
Vlasic

Holy hell. Sign me up for any of them.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:36 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So losing Staal in 4 seasons is enough reason to trade him for Weber who could leave in 1 season?

Old
07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
So losing Staal in 4 seasons is enough reason to trade him for Weber who could leave in 1 season?
im pretty sure common sense says the idea would be to resign weber long term.......................

Old
07-06-2012, 09:39 AM
Lundsanity30

Lol people are still arguing over weber and staal? I just thought everyone was bored last night.. 95% of this board always just has to be right before they quit

Old
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
yea, just a few weeks ago Crosby and Staal were on that list. It's going to shrink....dramatically.
That I do agree with, although Perry and Getz will see free agency IMHO, especially the way this Ryan thing is going ... I expect the Ducks to blow up.

Closed Thread