HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do with their two 2013 3rd round picks?
Trade both picks 15 36.59%
Trade one pick, but keep the other 10 24.39%
Hang on to both picks 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
MadHookUp

vCash: 500
I believe in an interview that the Staal brothers said at some point in their careers they all wanted to play together. Considering that 3 of them are already located in Carolina and the lengths of Jordan/Eric's contracts it would make sense for Marc to go to Carolina when he becomes an UFA. If you think for a second that he isn't going to get pressure from his family to do this, you are wrong.

Now will Marc do this? I surely don't know. If I had to guess... I think he will leave and sign with Carolina at the end of this contract.

When you factor in the following.
1.) Rangers deepest position is Left D
2.) Rangers played very well when Staal was out injured
3.) Its very possible Staal is gone after this contract

An argument can be made the guy should be traded. Now don't jump all over me with the, "You dont trade these special shutdown defenseman" arguments. I would love for Staal to retire as a Ranger. I am just trying to look at this logically. Del Zotto should be a top 4 Dman, and Erixon is predicted to be one as well.

The only trade of Staal that makes sense for me is Weber. I dont think I would move him for Nash or Ryan. Weber just fills so many needs on this team.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:41 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

I still have a feeling we trade for Nash or Ryan.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHookUp View Post
I believe in an interview that the Staal brothers said at some point in their careers they all wanted to play together. Considering that 3 of them are already located in Carolina and the lengths of Jordan/Eric's contracts it would make sense for Marc to go to Carolina when he becomes an UFA. If you think for a second that he isn't going to get pressure from his family to do this, you are wrong.

Now will Marc do this? I surely don't know. If I had to guess... I think he will leave and sign with Carolina at the end of this contract.

An argument can be made the guy should be traded. Now don't jump all over me with the, "You dont trade these special shutdown defenseman" arguments. I would love for Staal to retire as a Ranger. I am just trying to look at this logically. Del Zotto should be a top 4 Dman, and Erixon is predicted to be one as well.

The only trade of Staal that makes sense for me is Weber. I dont think I would move him for Nash or Ryan. Weber just fills so many needs on this team.
You make a very good argumet for trading Staal, however I would move him for a fwd like Ryan.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
OverTheCap

Jordan Staal was traded not only because he wanted to play with his brother, but because he was playing behind two of the best centers in the league. In fact, I think this was the major reason why he didn't want to extend in Pittsburgh... he wasn't getting enough ice time there.

Weber's situation isn't all that similar. He is top 5 in the league for minutes played per game. Whether or not he wants to leave Nashville is another story, but I can almost assure that it's not for the same reasons as to why Staal wanted to leave Pitt. The only similarity between Staal and Weber are that both were/are set to hit free agency next summer.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:51 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:

I never would have agreed with you before the J. Staal trade but I am starting to come around. I'm not happy about it, but the threat of Staal leaving to go to Carolina at the end of this deal is very real.

He has 3 years left however, so you don't have to think about moving him RIGHT NOW (unless you can nab Weber). We are much better off getting 3 years out of him while we make a run for the Cup than dealing him for picks/prospects for example. Hopefully if he is truly set on it he will be upfront with the organization like Jordan was.

07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

I'd like to explore a trade involving Dubinsky and Jamie McBain. Gives the Canes an option as a #2 center to play with Skinner if they decide to play the Staal brothers together on the top line, and also gives them some added clearance over the cap-floor. They also have Murray and Faulk as RHD coming up the pipe, and they just re-signed Corvo as well. Not to mention Bobby Sangs shredded the AHL last year and will probably be given a look in camp.

McBain gives us a solid RHD who can be an option on our PP. Another Wisconsin kid. Still has some upside and I think he could grow in our system. McBain + a prospect for Dubinsky.

Added bonus is we cut salary and opens up more avenues for trade, as including Dubinsky in a deal is no longer a requirement.

Old
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
im pretty sure common sense says the idea would be to resign weber long term.......................
Oh, but common sense doesn't apply to Staal. I say re-sign him since we can force people's actions.

Of course someone will say you can't guarantee that. It doesn't go both ways, right? You can guarantee that Weber, who has no ties or loyalty to the Rangers, will re-sign here after a trade, but Staal who hasn't said boo about his brothers will bolt in 4 years.

Staal potentially leaving in 4 years is worse than Weber potentially leaving in 1 year after a costly trade. Amazing logic. The complete need for Ranger fans to have every player has reached an unprecedented level.

Old
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I still have a feeling we trade for Nash or Ryan.
You're probably right. I mean, if those two fall through (which i doubt Sather lets Nash go for some reason) He goes for someone else.

The quiet since July 1st means that he's probably working deals out with other GMs. We need a top 6 winger and that's not debatable. Sather is most likely working on that for us.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:59 AM
NYR Viper

Weber would cost a TON! The Rangers wouldn't pay that price.

Outside of Yandle, Ryan and Nash, who else is available? There have to be other players out there.

Signing Doan makes too much sense even if they make a trade.

Dubinsky + Anisimov + prospect - See what they can get for that package.

Old
NYR Viper

Outside of Yandle, Ryan and Nash, who else is available? There have to be other players out there.

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Oh, but common sense doesn't apply to Staal. I say re-sign him since we can force people's actions.

Of course someone will say you can't guarantee that. It doesn't go both ways, right? You can guarantee that Weber, who has no ties or loyalty to the Rangers, will re-sign here after a trade, but Staal who hasn't said boo about his brothers will bolt in 4 years.

Staal potentially leaving in 4 years is worse than Weber potentially leaving in 1 year after a costly trade. Amazing logic. The complete need for Ranger fans to have every player has reached an unprecedented level.
the extension has to be agreed in principle before the trade in order to do that

Old
07-06-2012, 10:01 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:

the concept of a staal + for weber deal should be explored with no bearing what so ever of him possibly, potentially wanting to go to carolina...

Old
07-06-2012, 10:02 AM
MadHookUp

Quote:

What he is trying to say, is that we wouldn't trade Staal for Weber unless Weber agreed to a contract extension. If Weber does get traded the package drastically changes if Weber would agree to an extension. If he tells all teams that he is without a doubt going to test UFA, there is no way the Rangers would trade Staal for him. The price for Weber would go way down.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:02 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

That package should get you Nash...

Old
07-06-2012, 10:04 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

How short of a memory some of you have. Ready to ship Staal out without blinking an eye. I'd rather have Staal over Weber. Yeah I said it.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
no it shouldnt...

Old
07-06-2012, 10:09 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
no it shouldnt...
Oh it shouldn't? Two players who are younger than Nash with better cap hits who if they have normal years will combined outscore Nash in a season. Plus a prospect and a draft pick. Stop overrating Nash.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:09 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I agree or Ryan. I would then go hard after Doan and if he won't sign sign Mueller. They would still need to trade for another d-man and either sign or trade for a 3rd/4th line center.

Nash/Ryan-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Doan
Hagelin-Boyle/_____-Pyatt
Rupp-Boyle/_____-Asham
Haley

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
MDZ-______
Bickel

Old
07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Nash, and Ryan Murray, and all of the Islanders 2013 draft picks

Old
07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I agree or Ryan. I would then go hard after Doan and if he won't sign sign Mueller. They would still need to trade for another d-man and either sign or trade for a 3rd/4th line center.

Nash/Ryan-Richards-Callahan
Kreider-Stepan-Doan
Hagelin-Boyle/_____-Pyatt
Rupp-Boyle/_____-Asham
Haley

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
MDZ-______
Bickel
I like it. I think Erixon makes the team. I think Miller makes it too.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
How short of a memory some of you have. Ready to ship Staal out without blinking an eye. I'd rather have Staal over Weber. Yeah I said it.
No one here is ready to ship him out. We are just analyzing what might happena few years down the road. I am not ready to ship him out tomorrow.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
the concept of a staal + for weber deal should be explored with no bearing what so ever of him possibly, potentially wanting to go to carolina...
Quote:
What he is trying to say, is that we wouldn't trade Staal for Weber unless Weber agreed to a contract extension. If Weber does get traded the package drastically changes if Weber would agree to an extension. If he tells all teams that he is without a doubt going to test UFA, there is no way the Rangers would trade Staal for him. The price for Weber would go way down.
Ok, so the idea is to make the trade on a J. Staal level, because the original team will lose the guy. That's one price. There's another price entirely when you get to negotiate with the player before the trade. It'll be full value, not the J. Staal-gonna lose him anyway-deal.

But we get the bargain vague "Staal +" trade in some uncompetitive market, and we strike the deal that Nashville couldn't. I can't even imagine the contract number if Nashville can't ink Weber.

This fantasy game isn't fun because there isn't a shred of reality to root the thought process in.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
Nash, and Ryan Murray, and all of the Islanders 2013 draft picks
Be sarcastic all you want. But adding Dubinsky and Anisimov will replace Nash and make them younger. Not to mention Dubinsky is a top 6 player who plays a hard nosed game. Anisimov has good size. Better contracts.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Bwahahahaha. Based off of what?

Old
07-06-2012, 10:14 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
No one here is ready to ship him out. We are just analyzing what might happena few years down the road. I am not ready to ship him out tomorrow.
Not sure about that GS. The way some people talk on this board, its as if its a distant memory how great of a shut down defenseman Marc Staal is. When he was finally 100% towards the end of the playoffs he was playing top notch hockey. Would love to see what this team will do with their top 4 healthy going into the start of the playoffs.

Closed Thread