HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

Jay McClement’s days with Avalanche likely over

Old
07-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 50
Just about every Avs fan would welcome him back.

I believe just about every Blues fan would, too.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Dalfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Just about every Avs fan would welcome him back.

I believe just about every Blues fan would, too.
tears

Dalfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Mant*

Thing about McClement... there's no shortage of players like him. When they start getting too expensive, for what they are, they're easy enough to replace.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:18 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Thing about McClement... there's no shortage of players like him. When they start getting too expensive, for what they are, they're easy enough to replace.
If he's an easy to get player, aren't you surprised he was in a trade including Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk (thank's for the signed puck bro) and Erik Johnson?

Also, makes that trade look interesting.

McClement never looked as though he wanted to be in Colorado to be honest.

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:36 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
If he's an easy to get player, aren't you surprised he was in a trade including Chris Stewart, Kevin Shattenkirk (thank's for the signed puck bro) and Erik Johnson?

Based on?

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Based on?
Just his demeanor. Did you watch him play for The Blues? He was just a different player. In my opinion, he had a passion for The Blues, and he will have a passion for The Maple Leafs - something that never seemed to be there for Colorado (and he was a GREAT player for us).

When he played for us, he just did his job. A good job, but if you knew what he was like as player for the past 6 years, you'd know.

Players know, and have a good insight into culture. Into whether a team is looking to contend. Into whether a team will invest in assets to make things happen.

If I was Jay McClement, I'd be wanting to go to a team that isn't satisfied with mediocrity as well. Don't get me wrong - The Leafs are ordinary, but their GM, owner and coach will do whatever it takes to try and change that.

Colorado = procrastination in my view.

I think we are done with signings. I think Sherman low-balled Mcginn. I think O'Reilly is thinking he's worth more than offered.

This coming season, I believe we'll be 2-3 million above the cap floor again, bringing on guys like Mitchell, Zanon to play with the likes of Hunwick & Hejda.

I love our Avs, but it's not exactly awe inspiring as a franchise right now, is it.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:27 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

McClement was an Assistant Captain, a leader in both the dressing room and behind the bench, and an extremely likeable person.

Let's not make something out of nothing, please.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post
McClement was an Assistant Captain, a leader in both the dressing room and behind the bench, and an extremely likeable person.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoPadStack View Post

I'll admit everything I wrote is pure opinion only.

BUT, care to tell me why McClement took 1.5 million per over 2 seasons to play with The Leafs? SURELY Sherman would have offered that, right?

Old
07-06-2012, 09:31 AM
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct

Quote:
I'll admit everything I wrote is pure opinion only.

BUT, care to tell me why McClement took 1.5 million per over 2 seasons to play with The Leafs? SURELY Sherman would have offered that, right?
I will find out this weekend and I've promised to let you guys know what I hear.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Congo Jack
Hello M'Lady

Maybe he just took a discount to play near his family? He grew up in Ontario IIRC

Congo Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Just his demeanor. Did you watch him play for The Blues? He was just a different player. In my opinion, he had a passion for The Blues, and he will have a passion for The Maple Leafs - something that never seemed to be there for Colorado (and he was a GREAT player for us).

When he played for us, he just did his job. A good job, but if you knew what he was like as player for the past 6 years, you'd know.

Players know, and have a good insight into culture. Into whether a team is looking to contend. Into whether a team will invest in assets to make things happen.

If I was Jay McClement, I'd be wanting to go to a team that isn't satisfied with mediocrity as well. Don't get me wrong - The Leafs are ordinary, but their GM, owner and coach will do whatever it takes to try and change that.

I think we are done with signings. I think Sherman low-balled Mcginn. I think O'Reilly is thinking he's worth more than offered.

This coming season, I believe we'll be 2-3 million above the cap floor again, bringing on guys like Mitchell, Zanon to play with the likes of Hunwick & Hejda.

I love our Avs, but it's not exactly awe inspiring as a franchise right now, is it.

I dis-agree with everything in your post. To say McClement didn't have passion here because he thinks we weren't competing just shows me how much of an effort you will go to to slam Sherman and Sacco. It also shows that you probably didn't watch a whole lot of Avs games last year.

As for Sherman and the Avs = Procrastination.....do you think it would have be wise to shell out millions a year to over-rated free agents the past years when this team is not ready to contend? I ask you to find me one team that has bought a Championship. Good teams are built from within and there is not one team in the league that is doing a better job of that than the Avs. In a few seasons, this team is going to be dominant (they might be dominant this year in fact). Then, this team can go out and sign the one veteran free agent to a big contract who will help put us over the top.

Sherman has done a wonderful job as a GM. Look at the players he aquired. He hit a home run on the Varly trade. The St. Louis trade was a very good one. He robbed SJ for McGinn. He robbed TB for Downie. His drafts have been stellar....Hishon, Siemens, O'Reilly, Duchene, Landeskog and others will be key players for a decade.

Keep on with the hating. It's doing you well. Championship teams aren't built over night.

Heebs21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Heebs21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
Maybe he just took a discount to play near his family? He grew up in Ontario IIRC
Bingo.

Heebs21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Ceremony
Transcendence

vCash: 499
Just to be clear, the Leafs are infinitely worse than we are. Even with McClement going there.

Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post
I dis-agree with everything in your post. To say McClement didn't have passion here because he thinks we weren't competing just shows me how much of an effort you will go to to slam Sherman and Sacco. It also shows that you probably didn't watch a whole lot of Avs games last year.

As for Sherman and the Avs = Procrastination.....do you think it would have be wise to shell out millions a year to over-rated free agents the past years when this team is not ready to contend? I ask you to find me one team that has bought a Championship. Good teams are built from within and there is not one team in the league that is doing a better job of that than the Avs. In a few seasons, this team is going to be dominant (they might be dominant this year in fact). Then, this team can go out and sign the one veteran free agent to a big contract who will help put us over the top.

Sherman has done a wonderful job as a GM. Look at the players he aquired. He hit a home run on the Varly trade. The St. Louis trade was a very good one. He robbed SJ for McGinn. He robbed TB for Downie. His drafts have been stellar....Hishon, Siemens, O'Reilly, Duchene, Landeskog and others will be key players for a decade.

Keep on with the hating. It's doing you well. Championship teams aren't built over night.
Not hating. Just debating. It's just hockey and a hobby after all.

First up, you know we came 20th this past season right? You know we came 29th the year before? Had a decent year before that off the back of Andy, and 28th the year before that....

This same group of players your complimenting won one game out of seven to finish this years campaign, and limp out of contention (as seems to be the way with Sacco lead teams).

Then, you talk about teams that have done well, and teams have't bought their way to strength. Lets look at just this years LA Kings as an example (being that they won the Cup and all):-

1. Jeff Carter
2. Colin Fraser
3. Simon Gagne
4. Dustin Penner
5. Mike Richards

in the past 2-3 seasons alone. I won't go into the

6. Brad Richardson
7. Rob Scuderi
8. Jarrett Stoll
9. Justin Williams
10. Matt Greene
11. Willie Mitchell

etc etc etc that were brought in from outside prior to just the past 24 months.

Ok, there HAS to be an element of home grown talent. But at the same time there has to be a mix. For you to claim with certainty that Colorado will be a "powerhouse" maybe next year, but certainly in a few years is a big call mate.

I have to ask you, what will our defense this season look like, if say Johnson (touch wood doesn't happen) gets a season ending injury in the pre-season trials?

Hunwick, Zanon, Hejda, O'Byrne, Wilson, O'Brien that powerhouse you speak of?

Old
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The bold part just doesn't make sense to me especially coming from you. He was great but then you say that he was just doing a good job? And then you go on to say that he was a complete different player the 6 years prior. i can only think you mean in a better way than what he did in Colorado.

Drizzt, on the Avs' main board you were the most vocal against getting Jay included in this trade. You hated having him on our team. And it took a couple of months into last year for you to finally see in him what we all saw before: a great defensive player but very limited offensively. And now he is Great but just doing his job?

I think there are 4 reasons whay he is gone:
1. He wanted 3rd line C. We couldn't give him that.
2. He wanted too much money for the Avs
3. He went to UFA asking wanting what he asked from the Avs, had no takers and had to settle for much less. The Avs had already moved on. Too late for him to come back even if he wanted to.
4. He is from around Toronto and he was glad to take less money to play there.

Not everybody loves Colorado just like not everybody loves pizza for example. Most do but not all. Stop making it sound like nobody wants to come here to play. The Blues were stuck in what you call "mediocrity" when he got traded to us so I guess he wanted out of there to then. And Toronto has been stuck in "mediocrity" forever as well and he went there.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:13 AM
Drizzt1

Your wrong cyberfan. I was absolutely NOT against McClement signing with us at ALL when that trade went down (I was completely against that trade all together mind you ).

My issue with McClement, was that in his first 24 games for us, he was disgraceful (I reckon he'd admit that himself), BUT, he improved going into this season, as did my opinion of him.

Now, players themselves have said they were hoping to get traded away. We have had offers on the table for big name players (according to some - even in the media), and players elect not to sign here.

What especially is worriesome, is comments made by Stoa, Lappy, Brunette, Quincey and Anderson after they left. I mean Lappy? He is such a classy human being, something had to be on the nose there.

Lastly, there is a HUGE difference in my books between a player who can do a wonderful "job" for their team, and a player who can do a wonderful job, and be passionate about the jersey they throw on. Just because you can't understand that, doesn't make it right or wrong. I get it, you don't - and that's fair enough.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:00 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Your wrong cyberfan. I was absolutely NOT against McClement signing with us at ALL when that trade went down (I was completely against that trade all together mind you ).

My issue with McClement, was that in his first 24 games for us, he was disgraceful (I reckon he'd admit that himself), BUT, he improved going into this season, as did my opinion of him.

Now, players themselves have said they were hoping to get traded away. We have had offers on the table for big name players (according to some - even in the media), and players elect not to sign here.

What especially is worriesome, is comments made by Stoa, Lappy, Brunette, Quincey and Anderson after they left. I mean Lappy? He is such a classy human being, something had to be on the nose there.

Lastly, there is a HUGE difference in my books between a player who can do a wonderful "job" for their team, and a player who can do a wonderful job, and be passionate about the jersey they throw on. Just because you can't understand that, doesn't make it right or wrong. I get it, you don't - and that's fair enough.
Well the day after the trade you made one post with a lineup that didn't even include him going forward. You had Mcleaod-Winnik-Yip as our 4th line. For somebody that were "absolutely NOT against getting him", you were certainly NOT thrilled enough to keep hom along.

As for your last point, you didn't say "wonderful" when talking about his job with the Avs. You said "When he played for us, he just did his job. A good job, ...". So what is it? Was he great or just doing a good job?

Old
07-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Mant*

Quote:

Not really... character players get packaged into trades all the time, especially when it would leave a team with a 13th forward, mid-season.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
Well the day after the trade you made one post with a lineup that didn't even include him going forward. You had Mcleaod-Winnik-Yip as our 4th line. For somebody that were "absolutely NOT against getting him", you were certainly NOT thrilled enough to keep hom along.

As for your last point, you didn't say "wonderful" when talking about his job with the Avs. You said "When he played for us, he just did his job. A good job, ...". So what is it? Was he great or just doing a good job?
Are we arguing the semantics between good / wonderful here?

Old
07-06-2012, 06:58 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Are we arguing the semantics between good / wonderful here?
Are you saying good means wonderful?

Old
07-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Razor29
52-22-8

Quite the argument going on here.

McClement had no position on our roster moving forward unless it was on the 4th line and he wanted to be on the 3rd line. It's as simple as that.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote