HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Feaster is not one of the worst gm's!

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 09:38 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

vCash: 500
Sabres fans love him....

Old
07-06-2012, 09:43 AM
ddawg1950

Feaster sold the ownership on the idea that the Flames did not need a rebuild and with a few thoughtful moves he could turn them in to a contender without taking the team apart.

And that, to me, has been his biggest crime.

So, forget the stupid deals that brought inconsistent, butter soft players like Stempniak and Wideman, or bringing in and then resigning obvious busts like Comeau...forget that he went so far off the board in the draft that he wasted a valuable first pick on a kid no one had heard of and then sold it to the fans as "potentially the best player in the draft." Jesus! And forget that his window to maximize assets by moving Kipper and Iggy has now closed and by the trade deadline he will have to firesale these once great players...forget all those clown moves.

The big, big mistake was the ownership buying the Feaster BS that he could magically turn this team around without doing a full and proper rebuild.

And Calgary did have some major assets that clearly could have been turned into some high end youth so that the Flames would not have had to done an endless tanking routine.

And the Flame fathful will be paying for this con job for the next decade.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:46 AM
Skm

vCash: 1551
His 1st round draft choice/trade this year really conflicts with the whole "we're not rebuilding" thing.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:49 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Feaster is a reflection of the hockey team and the hockey team is a reflection of Feaster. They are both mediocre without the commitment to be great. Feaster had opportunity at the trade deadline last year and failed miserably. He called out the team, made a promise of change come the deadline to the fans, and then proceeded to sign Tim Jackman to an extension as his big move. He, like the Flames core players, are all talk and no delivery. Frankly, they are the perfect match and should lead to future years of mediocrity for us Flames fans. Until we fans start demanding excellence, by demanding the underachieving core get moved, this team will do nothing. and we'll continue to be the butt of jokes.

Oh, and about that worst GM in the NHL, how about that guy that runs the Philadelphia Flyers. I don't know how many teams would be happy to watch the core of their team, from two years ago, hoist the Stanley Cup above their heads for another team. Why Holmgren hasn't been put on a spit and roasted is beyond me. Future be damned, worst GM in the league and the results are etched on the Stanley Cup as proof.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skm View Post
His 1st round draft choice/trade this year really conflicts with the whole "we're not rebuilding" thing.
How so?

Old
07-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyFish View Post
Er

Burke has had to follow one of the worst GMs in leafs history, which decided the Leafs were still in win mode after the team was gutted during the lockout? Flames had Sutter...enuf said

You know... The days when jiri tlusty was the leafs top prospect? When their best forward was Jason Blake? Burke could have re-signed Sundin

Burke hasn't made the playoffs, sure... But the roster is becoming more and more respectable every year... The organizational depth from when JFJ was in is night and day - leafs have a great prospect pool to draw from now. I agree with this

You probably don't remember when the leafs had an injury..l they called up John pohl... He couldn't even skate. That was our depth right there. I do remember...i'm 39

But yeah, use playoffs as your yard stick... It's still a marathon. A misstep here, a misstep there, but you fail to see the strides inbetween.
I agree on paper...Toronto LOOKS better. But they still ARE not better YET. And Burke has had 5 years. Feaster has had 1. The issue I have is that Feaster is getting grilled for the team after 1 season as GM and Burke gets the...well we are getting better...in 5 years(and are still worse (on ice) than the Flames. I could sum it up like this...in 5 years, Burke has built a team that is better then Edmonton, Columbus, Montreal and NYI. Maybe this year will be different....

Old
07-06-2012, 09:59 AM
ComixZone

not sure if it has been mentioned, but Glencross' cap-hit is 2.55 not 3.5.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Tripod

[QUOTE=CGYPUKSUX;52212063]Feaster is a reflection of the hockey team and the hockey team is a reflection of Feaster. They are both mediocre without the commitment to be great. Feaster had opportunity at the trade deadline last year and failed miserably. He called out the team, made a promise of change come the deadline to the fans, and then proceeded to sign Tim Jackman to an extension as his big move. He, like the Flames core players, are all talk and no delivery. Frankly, they are the perfect match and should lead to future years of mediocrity for us Flames fans. Until we fans start demanding excellence, by demanding the underachieving core get moved, this team will do nothing. and we'll continue to be the butt of jokes.

Oh, and about that worst GM in the NHL, how about that guy that runs the Philadelphia Flyers. I don't know how many teams would be happy to watch the core of their team, from two years ago, hoist the Stanley Cup above their heads for another team. Why Holmgren hasn't been put on a spit and roasted is beyond me. Future be damned, worst GM in the league and the results are etched on the Stanley Cup as proof.[/QUOTE]

hahaha...you must be joking.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post

Oh, and about that worst GM in the NHL, how about that guy that runs the Philadelphia Flyers. I don't know how many teams would be happy to watch the core of their team, from two years ago, hoist the Stanley Cup above their heads for another team. Why Holmgren hasn't been put on a spit and roasted is beyond me. Future be damned, worst GM in the league and the results are etched on the Stanley Cup as proof.
Huh? With the exception of the brain fart Pronger contract and the Bryzgalov contract, I find a hard time finding a better GM. He traded two guys that were presumably locker room problems, and turned them into 4 guys on cheap contracts who could all contribute in their top 9, 6 maybe.

The fact your even comparing Holmgren to Feaster makes my stomach hurt.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Mike Jones

Quote:
No it doesn't. Feaster had the chance to draft a decent player and he punted it. What was worse was the BS he threw down trying to explain his mistake.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:09 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
cause he drafted youngest player in draft with possibly highest ceiling? talk he would have been a lottery pick next season if he was a couple weeks older.

so how is trading one pick for 2 picks in the top 50 and still get the guy you wanted not helping the rebuild?

2 years ago flames didnt even have a pick til the third round... feaster is filling the cupboards while maintaining a relatively competitive team which is much younger than it was when he took over.

the feaster hate is way premature and severely exaggerated.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Tripod

[QUOTE=CGYPUKSUX;52212063]Feaster is a reflection of the hockey team and the hockey team is a reflection of Feaster. They are both mediocre without the commitment to be great. Feaster had opportunity at the trade deadline last year and failed miserably. He called out the team, made a promise of change come the deadline to the fans, and then proceeded to sign Tim Jackman to an extension as his big move. He, like the Flames core players, are all talk and no delivery. Frankly, they are the perfect match and should lead to future years of mediocrity for us Flames fans. Until we fans start demanding excellence, by demanding the underachieving core get moved, this team will do nothing. and we'll continue to be the butt of jokes.

Oh, and about that worst GM in the NHL, how about that guy that runs the Philadelphia Flyers. I don't know how many teams would be happy to watch the core of their team, from two years ago, hoist the Stanley Cup above their heads for another team. Why Holmgren hasn't been put on a spit and roasted is beyond me. Future be damned, worst GM in the league and the results are etched on the Stanley Cup as proof.[/QUOTE]

Here is what Holmgren did his first year while taking over Clarke into the season:

With the team clearly on the verge of missing the playoffs for the first time in 13 years, Paul Holmgren set his sights on rebuilding the team and preparing for the future. Forsberg, unwilling to commit to playing next season, was traded to Nashville for Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent, and 2007 first and third-round draft picks at the deadline. Veteran defenseman Alexei Zhitnik was traded to the Atlanta Thrashers for prospect defenseman Braydon Coburn. The Flyers also acquired goaltender Martin Biron from the Buffalo Sabres for a 2007 second-round pick. Given wide praise for his efforts, the Flyers gave Holmgren a two-year contract and removed the interim label from his title. In June, the Flyers made a trade which sent the first round draft pick they had acquired in the Forsberg trade (23rd overall) back to Nashville for the rights to negotiate with impending unrestricted free agents Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell

out: Forsberg, Zhitnik, 2nd rounder
in: Timonen, Hartnell, Coburn, Biron, Upshall, Parent
Not a bad 1st year

Old
07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
Huh? With the exception of the brain fart Pronger contract and the Bryzgalov contract, I find a hard time finding a better GM. He traded two guys that were presumably locker room problems, and turned them into 4 guys on cheap contracts who could all contribute in their top 9, 6 maybe.

He turned a team on the verge of winning a Stanley Cup into a team on the bubble, but with a future. Only in HF do you ignore the fact that those guys he moved for younger cheaper players just hoisted a Stanley Cup!

Measure his big moves and the results. Signed Pronger to a massive contract knowing the risk factors. Massive mistake. Let Pronger rip the team apart and force him to trade his core forwards. Massive mistake. Signed a questionable goaltender to a huge contract. Massive mistake. Holmgren gets cut a lot of slack because of the love this site has for young players, but the results are pretty obvious. The Flyers were a team on the verge of a Stanley Cup with a couple of tweaks. He burned it to the ground and tried a massive retooling to keep an aging defenseman happy and it blew up in his face. Holmgren is a fool and the proof is etched on the Stanley Cup.

But then again, he's probably "building something special up there" just like the Oilers.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:17 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

yes he is!

Old
07-06-2012, 10:24 AM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
I'm not sure what I'd rate him as a gm throughout the league cuz that's pretty hard to pin point, but I'd say middle of the pack around 10-17. But for fun lets just rate the Canadian gms:
1- mike gillis
2-Probably Murray
3- feaster
4-not far behind Burke
5-cheveldayoff
6- tambellini
* not far to rank bergevin since this is only his first 2 weeks.

Now for that list that's just my opinion. Some may not agree that I put featser ahead of Burke or cheveldayoff, but the way I see it is Burke has been leafs gm for five years and they still finished 5th last! Plus all of the atrocious contracts his given away( komisarek, connoly,) or brought in threw trade(lombardi). And for cheveldayoff I put him 5th because honestly I haven't seen him do anything. He's done good at resigning his players but other than that I haven't seen him do anything worth while since becoming gm.
You can't rate GM's on strictly success of the team, you need to rate them on success against expectations.

So rating Tambo at the bottom for coming into a shattered Oilers team and starting a rebuild is completely wrong. Tambo has turned the Oilers into a young and extremely promising team, built assets up, turned their farm team into a cup contender while accumulating a ton of good prospects.

Feaster came into a similar situation in Calgary and decides not to rebuild year in and year out and has kept the flames in 9-11th place for consecutive years...not getting closer to the playoffs.

The moves Feaster makes are moves that keep him just out of the playoffs but not sliding down in the rankings, which in my opinion is the worst possible place you can be. You don't make the playoffs and you get the worst pick in the draft out of teams not in the playoffs.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:37 AM
JS19
Pls Sharks win

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
OK, I'll bite. Why don't you go ahead and list me some of the GM's that are worse
inb4Howson

But OP is listing moves that have potential...potential means jack if it doesn't lead to playoffs.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
You can't rate GM's on strictly success of the team, you need to rate them on success against expectations.

So rating Tambo at the bottom for coming into a shattered Oilers team and starting a rebuild is completely wrong. Tambo has turned the Oilers into a young and extremely promising team, built assets up, turned their farm team into a cup contender while accumulating a ton of good prospects.

Feaster came into a similar situation in Calgary and decides not to rebuild year in and year out and has kept the flames in 9-11th place for consecutive years...not getting closer to the playoffs.

The moves Feaster makes are moves that keep him just out of the playoffs but not sliding down in the rankings, which in my opinion is the worst possible place you can be. You don't make the playoffs and you get the worst pick in the draft out of teams not in the playoffs.
One of the biggest issues with judging Feaster and Feaster's job in general is that the mandate from the management and owners above Feaster is that they don't want to do a big tear down rebuild like the Oilers. They want to remain competitive and make the playoffs now and forever. Tough job to do without a young core and young prospects - which isn't Feasters fault it is his predecessors. The Flames drafting and developing of young talent has been among the worst in the NHL over the last 10 years and it is starting to catch up to the Flames (over the past 3 - 4 years). Feaster is trying to right the ship in this regard but it takes time - things are already looking better with the likes of Sven and Reinhart. And when people on these boards come in here and say things like "Feaster is one of the worst GM's - he needs to tear it down and rebuild etc." that really isn't an option as his bosses won't let him. Just like I would like to wear jeans and golf shirts to work every day but my bosses won't let me either...

So to conclude - I think Feaster is doing a better overall job that Sutter did in his short time here so far; but only time will tell if he will be successful

Old
07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
oilwave

Yeah have to agree the tambo is getting an unfair judgement here. He never given a mandate to win, in fact ownership told him to do the opposite and do a full rebuild. The past three years he's been trying to lose and has succeeded spectacularly. The oilers are now set up for a very bright future while feaster/Burke etc keep their teams in mediocrity and fail to realize they need a rebuild. Building a contender is more important than 8th/9th place every year. Now the oilers rebuild is done we can start judging tambo on success in the standings, not before now.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Gm0ney

vCash: 1300
Quote:
He turned a team on the verge of winning a Stanley Cup into a team on the bubble, but with a future. Only in HF do you ignore the fact that those guys he moved for younger cheaper players just hoisted a Stanley Cup!

Measure his big moves and the results. Signed Pronger to a massive contract knowing the risk factors. Massive mistake. Let Pronger rip the team apart and force him to trade his core forwards. Massive mistake. Signed a questionable goaltender to a huge contract. Massive mistake. Holmgren gets cut a lot of slack because of the love this site has for young players, but the results are pretty obvious. The Flyers were a team on the verge of a Stanley Cup with a couple of tweaks. He burned it to the ground and tried a massive retooling to keep an aging defenseman happy and it blew up in his face. Holmgren is a fool and the proof is etched on the Stanley Cup.

But then again, he's probably "building something special up there" just like the Oilers.
I'm pretty sure Snider demanded that he acquire Bryzgalov and lock him up long term. That set off a chain reaction that led to the Carter and Richards trades...and he got a pretty good return (Simmonds, B. Schenn, Voracek, Couturier). If Feaster had managed to get that back for Iggy and Kipper, the OP might have a case...

Old
07-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Boondock

Quote:

I don't see how you can say that Holmgren had anything to do with Carter going to LA. He traded Carter to CBJ and got a pretty solid return for him. What happens after that isn't on Holmgren. Are the Oilers responsable for the Kings winning the cup because of Penner, Stoll and Greene - no. Holmgren has utillized his assets well to re-tool his team. I think Philly's slight decline this season in the playoffs had more to do with not having their #1 Dman then it did with trading Carter and Richards. Philly scored plenty it was their D that was suspect.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:46 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwave View Post
Yeah have to agree the tambo is getting an unfair judgement here. He never given a mandate to win, in fact ownership told him to do the opposite and do a full rebuild. The past three years he's been trying to lose and has succeeded spectacularly. The oilers are now set up for a very bright future while feaster/Burke etc keep their teams in mediocrity and fail to realize they need a rebuild. Building a contender is more important than 8th/9th place every year. Now the oilers rebuild is done we can start judging tambo on success in the standings, not before now.
Yes, Tambo has done a great job at losing.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post

He treats the CBA as an obstacle to be overcome in making moves, rather than as part of the environment that determines what moves to make. I don't like that approach, it's the opposite of Lombardi's, whose moves paid off this year.

This is aside from CBA mistakes that the Flyers have made.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...delphia-flyers

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/200...act-an-over-35

Last edited by Monarchist: 07-06-2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old
07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Monarchist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post

You're forgetting: you can trade down in the draft. Best of both worlds: no top 14 prospect and no playoffs.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Even better for a guy who plays gritty and potted 26 goals last year in 67 games
Probably would have lead the Flames in goals last year if he wasn't hurt for 15 games
Yep. That Glencross contract is one of the best in the league.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:28 AM
oilwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Yes, Tambo has done a great job at losing.
I'm not saying that the oilers havent been an atrocious hockey team the past three years. I'm just saying tambo's mandate from Katz and honestly the entire Edmonton community has been to tank as hard as he can. And thats exactly what he's done, and now we have a much brighter future than when he got here. Is it possible tambo is worse than feaster? For sure we just can't judge him on success yet because his job wasn't to be successful, it was to lose, which hes done.

Closed Thread