HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Buying new pants for thin frame

Old
06-19-2012, 03:45 PM
Stickchecked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
If you want to widen the bottom, just apply heat from a gun or hairdryer and stretch it.
Good to know, thanks!

Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Stickchecked

Just want to comment that I played my first pickup with tongues out of the shin guards and certainly had one of my "best" games. (Not to say that equals good. lol)

Just felt a lot more comfortable cutting thru/around traffic when I had the puck / rushing up ice.

I think at least a little bit of it was related to untucking my skate tongues. It's the little things...

Old
07-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Stickchecked

Quote:
And once more I'll say this : if you are looking for extra length, DO NOT even consider CCM as their pant lengths are shorter size-for-size than everyone else...
God, this entire quest for pants has been a headache.

So I had bought the Tackla 951s and I liked the length but once I got home and tried them on with all my gear I didn't really like the waist and drawstring setup. There was a definite limit to how tight it would go and I was at the point of fully cinched and they just fit.

So I went back to the store after being told the new Bauer pants with Tall sizes would be in. I spoke with a different salesman and he convinced me to buy some CCM U+ CL pants (Very pricey, but see below) after saying he had never heard of Tall sizes in Bauer pants.

Of course, I didn't recall the above warning from Aireaye about CCMs running short.

So one new element to search for pants: Every few months, I seem to fall on my back hip, right where there is zero protection, and the pain lasts for days. This week, I did it on both Tuesday and Wednesday, same side. It honestly feels like the bone could be bruised, it hurts like hell. I have to sit on a pillow when sitting on the floor with my little girl. So I'm keen to find pants with good padding in that area.

That's why I ended up with the CCM CLs. He started me with some midlevel CCMs but I could tell the butt protection wasn't there. The Bauers didn't seem to have it either but the CLs definitely did.

Old
07-05-2012, 09:57 PM
AIREAYE

Hey man, if it works for you, it works for you.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Guffaw

First, you need to move away from relying on low paid sales people for equipment/sizing advice. My experience has been horrible. I've been to (2) Graf reps and I know the product better than they do. "Grafs are a 9ft radius" and "The 703/G3 and the 735/G35 are exactly the same skate". Through trying stuff on, reading these boards, and talking to other people/teammates you'll learn what works best for you.

I'm 6'2" 33" waist, but 32" hips where I wear all my pants, and where the belt of my hockey pants sits.

I tried:
-Bauer ONE80 MT-Long enough, but a bit too big and not enough hip padding.
-Tackla 9000 50Tall- felt ok at first, but these pants were too big and a bit too long coming to the middle of my knee.
-Tackla 9000 48Tall- These pants are perfect for me.

I would say as far as Tackla and Bauer your going to fit best in:
-Bauer Small Tall
-Tackla 46 Tall
-Tackla 48 Tall or Regular length possibly

It's really going to depend on how tight/long you like your pants to be.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:55 AM
AIREAYE

So I'm eager to hear your correlation between being low-paid and giving bad advice.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A lot of sales people just don't care that much. Some do, like you. But a good chunk of sales people just don't really know the products enough to make good recommendations.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:33 AM
AIREAYE

It's not that, it's just that there's a correlation between good management and good service. Not really a relation of pay but rather leadership; but I digress, just messing around is all

Old
07-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd agree 100% with that. Working retail throughout college, the managers completely determine the store. A good manager means educated employees who care about the customer. A bad manager means just shifts are covered and money comes in regardless of if it helps the customers.

I'd feel free to generalize that the huge majority of people who work retail don't care that much. The huge majority of hockey shop workers I've seen are high school or former HS players and some eye candy jersey chasers.

I've got one shop I go to with a knowledgeable staff, and probably a dozen or more shops I go to that have ridiculous clearance sales. The knowledgeable staff one gets all my money on big purchases (skates, helmets, high end protective) and I pick up clearance sticks and little things wherever I can find them for cheap.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
So I'm eager to hear your correlation between being low-paid and giving bad advice.
No problem.

People "working" at a hockey store and/or answering phones/giving advice are generally going to be low paid. I have gotten horrible advice from those people and apparently the OP has as well. In fact I've gotten nothing but bad advice from anyone at any hockey store I've ever called or walked into. Unless they own the business, they are low paid. That's been my experience and apparently the OP's as well.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
It's not that, it's just that there's a correlation between good management and good service. Not really a relation of pay but rather leadership; but I digress, just messing around is all
I'm not sure how old you are or how much life experience you have in various fields, but there is absolutely without a doubt a correlation between knowledge, intelligence, motivation, drive, and pay scale. It's not absolute, nothing is, but in general you will find those with more of the first 4 also have more of the last one.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:09 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I'm not sure how old you are or how much life experience you have in various fields, but there is absolutely without a doubt a correlation between knowledge, intelligence, motivation, drive, and pay scale. It's not absolute, nothing is, but in general you will find those with more of the first 4 also have more of the last one.
Of course there are in other fields, Apple isn't going to pay their head of marketing the same amount as a sales associate. I never extended my comment to the entire professional world; I could be 13 or 35, it doesn't matter.

Your experience and the connection you've made for yourself is quite fair, though I think I'm stating the obvious when I say that it isn't the case everywhere else.

Old
07-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Guffaw

Quote:
Your experience and the connection you've made for yourself is quite fair, though I think I'm stating the obvious when I say that it isn't the case everywhere else.
I'm sure you are correct. However, I feel that it's a bit more of an exception than a rule which is a shame really. Unless you were born into money, a family business, etc. hard work is really what is going to determine much of your life. Where you live, who you marry, your friends, and on and on. Taking a low paying sales job seriously or any job for that matter can lead to promotions, management, possible ownership, or at the very least a strong reference. Not to mention your helping someone else buy the proper pair of hockey pants instead of wasting their time.

Old
07-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Stickchecked

Ok, the bring this topic back to point...

My local hockey store ended up having the Bauer Supreme TotalOne Medium Talls in stock. And these definitely fit the bill by being long enough so I bought. But as mentioned below, I've now determined that I need some solid hip protection (injured it again last week) and the Bauer pads sort of gap pretty badly around the hip bone.

So I took a look at the Reeboks and noticed that they have a zipper-enabled extra inch to the pants and it certainly looks long enough. So I tried the Reebok 9K and Bauer back and forth like ten times at Sportchek and the hip protection of the Reeboks seems to be a lot better positioned.

(I tried the 11ks previously but they are like armour. I would honestly feel silly wearing them to play non-contact hockey.)

Sooooooooo, I think I might be coming to the end of this ordeal soon.

But regardless, for anyone having trouble finding pants for a thin frame, I think Reeboks are the place to start.