HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
07-04-2012, 05:24 PM
EmelinBOOM74
NHL Managerial Guru

vCash: 500
Prust > Moen offensively in my opinion.

EmelinBOOM74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Torts loved this guy...nuff said.
...loved the guy for 12 minutes per game. It makes sense, coaches and fans love guys like Begin and Kostopoulos too. They play their hearts out and know their roles. That doesn't make their contributions worth 2.5mil.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

I Prust Bergevin.

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Prust is a better pugilist and agitator, but Moen is the better hockey player. Both bring equal value though just in different ways. Overpayment or not, its what the habs needed to do to get this guy and I think it will be well worth the 1 mil overpayment
Prust is just as good of a hockey player, just as good of a fighter, but will fight more often. He also has a bit more offense in him. He's not THAT much better than Moen, but he's still better IMO.

Last edited by Myron Gaines*: 07-04-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:40 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
...loved the guy for 12 minutes per game. It makes sense, coaches and fans love guys like Begin and Kostopoulos too. They play their hearts out and know their roles. That doesn't make their contributions worth 2.5mil.
He fills a need, and ufa's cost money...it is what it is...Suter and Parise are not worth 98 million each either, correct? But they fill a need...just not for 13 years...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Exactly. I also think having more fighters will make Moen better. I'm sure deep down the guy knew he couldn't really fight because if he did this ***** of a team would be defenseless against any school yard bully.
Fully agreed on that point. People should remember Moen's Ducks' days when they had a team full of guys who could/would drop the gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Prust is better than Moen IMO.
Is it really worth debating about? They're both on the Habs and will be playing together.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:32 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
No, Kostopoulous was a joke of a fighter and was nothing more than plug.

Kostopoulous' fights tended to bring the team down, not get the team fired up.

And, Prust is worth 2.5.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I loved Prust, I still do... we all did. There aren't many Rangers fan who will tell you they're happy about losing the guy. He fills a need on the Habs for sure, and he will be a fan favorite as well, make no mistake about that.

He's courageous like no other and he's a great fighter for his size. He'll lose some, sure... but he wins more than he loses and the fact of the matter is that he will stick up for his team. A bunch of you like White for these reasons? He's the rich man's White. He's pretty good on the PK, and will enhance the 4th line on most teams. All that said, he's not a 3rd liner. He's a 4th liner who can step up and play on the 3rd if a team's lacking depth due to injury or in certain line-juggling energy-searching situations. You just can't really expect him to play more than 10-12 minutes a game and be more than he's ever been. You can't expect more than 10 goals.

I'm using the word "expect" because weird things happen and you can't predict everything, I'm just saying it's highly unlikely, and at this point the best and most logical assumption is that he's a 4th liner playing somewhere around 10-12 minutes who will get in the vicinity of 15 points. So, realistically... he's not worth 2.5M for his point production, but Montreal had to overpay a bit to get a guy the team needed and that's completely fine. I'm in the minority, but I'd have given him that to stay in NYC. That's how much I loved the dude =)

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:32 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I loved Prust, I still do... we all did. There aren't many Rangers fan who will tell you they're happy about losing the guy. He fills a need on the Habs for sure, and he will be a fan favorite as well, make no mistake about that.

He's courageous like no other and he's a great fighter for his size. He'll lose some, sure... but he wins more than he loses and the fact of the matter is that he will stick up for his team. A bunch of you like White for these reasons? He's the rich man's White. He's pretty good on the PK, and will enhance the 4th line on most teams. All that said, he's not a 3rd liner. He's a 4th liner who can step up and play on the 3rd if a team's lacking depth due to injury or in certain line-juggling energy-searching situations. You just can't really expect him to play more than 10-12 minutes a game and be more than he's ever been. You can't expect more than 10 goals.

I'm using the word "expect" because weird things happen and you can't predict everything, I'm just saying it's highly unlikely, and at this point the best and most logical assumption is that he's a 4th liner playing somewhere around 10-12 minutes who will get in the vicinity of 15 points. So, realistically... he's not worth 2.5M for his point production, but Montreal had to overpay a bit to get a guy the team needed and that's completely fine. I'm in the minority, but I'd have given him that to stay in NYC. That's how much I loved the dude =)
Prust will have a lot of weight on his shoulders here in Montreal. He will have to fight a lot of on ice battles. He will also have to fight to get rid of the anti-fighting stigma that so many of the Habs fans have embraced since we have been for the most part...a non-fighting team for so long. As witnessed by a lot of posts in this thread.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:39 PM

Prust's last 3 seasons:
09-10: 29 fights
10-11: 21 fights
11-12: 21 fights

It's gonna be so fun to have a SOB that fights more than 20 times a season on this team. I just hope he keeps it up but with a coach like Therrien with big hairy testicles, it shouldn't be a problem.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:46 PM
DamianHabs

[QUOTE=Mike8;52070539]You've actually reiterated precisely what I have, but with an insulting spin on it. For someone who claims to be 'knowledgable,' you sure do struggle with making a compelling argument. Which is, you know, somewhat necessary on a discussion forum.

The argument was not that hard for you to comprehend but let's try it again. Prust's game does not translate necessarily onto the score sheet but if you actually watch him play - have you?- you would understand that he's far more of third liner when it comes to contributions. He can skate, can fight, is a very good penalty killer and has shown some offensive skill during his career.

There's the compelling argument in bite sized pieces, so I'm hoping you can follow it.

DamianHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Hugo Sham

how can anyone in this thread compare ragdollopoulos to prust? sure maybe in their willingness and desire to defend themselves and teammates. but comparison ends there. one guy can actually chuck them while the other has rented out his face as a speed bag

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianHabs View Post
The argument was not that hard for you to comprehend but let's try it again. Prust's game does not translate necessarily onto the score sheet but if you actually watch him play - have you?- you would understand that he's far more of third liner when it comes to contributions. He can skate, can fight, is a very good penalty killer and has shown some offensive skill during his career.

There's the compelling argument in bite sized pieces, so I'm hoping you can follow it.
Repeating what everybody has said (myself included) about Prust for over 500+ posts isn't exactly an argument, you realise. It's also not enlightened, nor much of a contribution. What's interesting is that you feel the need to be insulting while repeating what everyone knows.

As far as Prust being a third liner because he can skate and he can fight (whoopdeedoo!), I don't agree. The fact that Prust is a good PKer doesn't make him good on ES. And he's shown 'good' offensive skill in one season. Again, reiterating Prust's strengths (that, as a hockey player, he is able to both skate and fight, and is a good PKer) isn't a compelling argument at all. Maybe if you'd put a little more attention into the 'substantiating my opinion' part instead of deriding others', you'd be a happier person and more interesting person.

Oh, and for someone who keeps churning out the boring 'you must never have seen him play!' line, you sure do struggle when it comes to describing Prust in any way that makes him unique from any other common bottom-6 grinder. Whether that's an issue with hockey analysis lacking, or just communication skills, or some combination of the two, I'll let you figure that one out.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post

loved that reference, its true, i absolutely love white and everything he brings to this time playing on the 4th line, ..to obtain the richs man white playing on the same LINE as white will be very good for him

for a time white had to be the toughest guy on the team sometimes, just him all alone for whatever reason, moen being injured for one, ..bringing in staubitz really helped white out after the deadline and we got a whole lot tougher, and prust blows staubitz out of the water so in reality, we couldnt of asked to acquire a better player for our bottom 6 than prust, and im damn glad to have him ,
having colby and moen on the 3rd line should also help wear some teams down a bit, more than habs teams in the past have EVER been able to do with those ridiculous bottom 6s...

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:28 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Participating in free agency is like participating in an auction. The prices you paid might be a little more if you just have to have that player. Stop *****ing about Prust's cap hit so much since the cap size is larger this year anyway.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
loved that reference, its true, i absolutely love white and everything he brings to this time playing on the 4th line, ..to obtain the richs man white playing on the same LINE as white will be very good for him

for a time white had to be the toughest guy on the team sometimes, just him all alone for whatever reason, moen being injured for one, ..bringing in staubitz really helped white out after the deadline and we got a whole lot tougher, and prust blows staubitz out of the water so in reality, we couldnt of asked to acquire a better player for our bottom 6 than prust, and im damn glad to have him ,
having colby and moen on the 3rd line should also help wear some teams down a bit, more than habs teams in the past have EVER been able to do with those ridiculous bottom 6s...
I like Moen, and I like White too. Having them AND Pruster in the bottom 6 makes for a nice gritty group that won't put up with another team's nonsense, no matter who's on it.

Not to mention he's (Prust) been dating Marie-Pier Morin for a while, and is genuinely just a nice and cool dude, who's also very aware... and you have to believe he's already started learning the language and will use it whenever possible. Instant fan fave.

I won't be able to cheer against him whenever NYC plays MTL, when the inevitable Asham/Prust duel occurs.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 03:35 PM
ourobouros

He's gonna wear the "8".

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/l_fr/news.htm?id=637293

ourobouros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:29 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Sad to see Pruster go. Man that guy brings it every night. No freebee shifts against him at all. Much better skater than you guys might be expecting too. Next to Callahan, he led the NYR in negating icings, and did it vs Ottawa twice in game 7 and once in game 7 vs Washington.

He's not going to beat anyone into submission, but anyone that thinks their going to come into Montreal and run players all game will have to drop the gloves with this guy first, and earn it.

Soooo freaking happy he didn't stay in the Atlantic.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:56 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Sad to see Pruster go. Man that guy brings it every night. No freebee shifts against him at all. Much better skater than you guys might be expecting too. Next to Callahan, he led the NYR in negating icings, and did it vs Ottawa twice in game 7 and once in game 7 vs Washington.

He's not going to beat anyone into submission, but anyone that thinks their going to come into Montreal and run players all game will have to drop the gloves with this guy first, and earn it.

Soooo freaking happy he didn't stay in the Atlantic.
i can already see a Prust vs Asham fight happening in our first game

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:24 AM
MarkersMark*

We got our Chris Neil and people are still pissing a moaning.

Oh well, pretty much confirms what I already knew about the testicular fortitude of our fanbase.

MarkersMark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:28 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
We got our Chris Neil and people are still pissing a moaning.

Oh well, pretty much confirms what I already knew about the testicular fortitude of our fanbase.
What if I don't have testicles?

I don't think he's our Chris Neil. Neil is a pest and can be pretty stupid on the ice, but he also has some offence in his game. I see Prust more of a grinder that can chip it in at times and defend his teammates.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:35 AM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post

I don't think he's our Chris Neil. Neil is a pest and can be pretty stupid on the ice, but he also has some offence in his game. I see Prust more of a grinder that can chip it in at times and defend his teammates.
Pics for proof.

Anyways, over the past two years their offense has been literally identical with the same icetime. I'll agree that Neil is a pure ******* though, while Prust can switch it on and off.

MarkersMark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post

Thing is Neil is used way differently by the Sens, sometime will even get pp time in front of the net while Prust is mostly nothing but a 3rd/4th liner and his points come from really hard work

However, Neil is a better fighter

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:47 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Thing is Neil is used way differently by the Sens, sometime will even get pp time in front of the net while Prust is mostly nothing but a 3rd/4th liner and his points come from really hard work

However, Neil is a better fighter
Yet Neil sure likes to turtle sometimes

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:59 AM
bhuya71

People on this board need to acknowledge two things:

1. Many of us (including myself) have probably said to themselves many times: **** when Prust is on the ice because he absolutely rapes any bottom 6 forward we have and I would even get scared for guys like Whitey and Moen. This is the type of impact a bottom 6 forward needs to provide not a huge amount of points albeit some. They create an atmosphere which negates any lack of scoring they may or may not provide. If Prust being on our team allows more teams to stop running our players, opposing players being accountable, and freeing up PK minutes for our top forwards to score...well then we scored in free agency

It isn't always about pushing players down the depth chart i.e. getting a top 6 winger and making a struggling top 6er become a top 9er. Sometimes adding depth can actually help offensive woes for other struggling players.

2. Prust will obviously help our bottom 6 get more aggressive since Moen and White will now have back up but I think its also going to be huge for our top 6 since they know they will have legitimate backup when **** goes down. They can play their game and not be afraid to get into rough areas because guys won't be taking runs or cheapshots all game. and as preivously mentioned many times it takes one of our top 6 guys off the PK which is quite big! (Imagine Pleks rushing on his breakaways during ES instead of on the PK?? That would create quite the matchup problems if he does the majority of his skating at ES)

Anyways super stoked for the signing because having a bottom 6 that makes other fanbases and player go... oh crap not these guys again is something MTL hasn't had in foreverrrrr (Laraque doesn't count)

Plus Lars Eller is going to become a total G (Walter White style) with Armstrong, Prust, White, and Moen watching his back.

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote