HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do with their two 2013 3rd round picks?
Trade both picks 15 36.59%
Trade one pick, but keep the other 10 24.39%
Hang on to both picks 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 10:15 AM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Remember when Dreger said an hr ago the nyr are looking at other options

Last edited by Vitto79: 07-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old
07-06-2012, 10:18 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
I like it. I think Erixon makes the team. I think Miller makes it too.
I don't think either are ready for NHL duty. I think they may bring Erixon up as the 1st call-up when an injury occurs. He still needs to mature and fill out but when he does, he will be a good one.

Miller I think they want to give him some more important ice time than 3rd/4th line center. Let him develop slowly. No rush.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Yes Weber is a better player than Staal. But how much of that better is worth it?

In 2010-2011 Staal totaled 29 points, a career high for him. He had 4 PPG and 7 PPA, 2 SHG and 2 SHA. He had a fantastic year. But then the concussion came. He missed the majority of last year. Had he been healthy for a full year He could've put up 35-40 points possibly.

Weber averages 50 points a season. A physical player who scores on the point on the PP. Yeah his ability to score on the PP with that shot of his puts him ahead of Staal. But for $8 million a year it is not an upgrade. I'd rather have Staal at his salary producing 10-15 points less a season than paying an extra $4 million for Weber. Save that extra $4 million and put it into a goal scorer while keeping a perfectly fine shutdown defenseman.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I don't think either are ready for NHL duty. I think they may bring Erixon up as the 1st call-up when an injury occurs. He still needs to mature and fill out but when he does, he will be a good one.

Miller I think they want to give him some more important ice time than 3rd/4th line center. Let him develop slowly. No rush.
I think it was Clarke who had said Erixon had put on muscle during the season, the most he could during a season. He said that it is now up to Erixon to come into camp adding a little more.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:27 AM
egelband

So tired of reading about how it's basically a constitutional amendment that the staal kids need to be on the same effing nhl team.
It's the most pathetic notion. Whether these players are bretty enough to make it their primary goal. Or the league bends to this 'edict'.
Its just embarrassing and boring. If it's true, I'll be glad none of them are on the rangers. But I'm holding out hope that Marc might be his own man and want to make his own mark. Could happen!

Old
07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
I want Corey Perry in a New York Rangers Jersey.

Size, speed, skill, snarl.

Would be a solid fit here with Stepan and Kreider

Old
07-06-2012, 10:30 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Oh it shouldn't? Two players who are younger than Nash with better cap hits who if they have normal years will combined outscore Nash in a season. Plus a prospect and a draft pick. Stop overrating Nash.
the only reason people say nash is overrated is bc they want to get him for a joe thornton package, which just isnt reasonable. even when thornton was dealt GMs around the league said if they had known he was available they wouldve offered allot more then SJ did.

who cares if arti/dubi are younger, nash isnt 33

this whole concept of 2 players combined will outscore one is pretty ... well dumb. you cannot look at it that way bc say you trade player A:50pts + player B:40pts traded for player C:70pts, well yes that is a 20pt difference BUT you will also be adding player D into the equation (to take the other place of the 2 you traded). and if player D is a solid 40-50pt guy like one of player A or B then you have just netted a 20-30pt increase. not to mention i dont see arti or dubi offensively growing beyond 40-50pt players.

and beyond all that the most important thing in all of this is NOT POINT TOTALS, it is installing a player who affects how other teams match up against us. do you think the devils were shaking in their booties when dubi came back in the series, or they suddenly had to change that way they structured their defense to handle us? not a chance! now if a player of nash's caliper were dropped into our lineup it would have definitely effected the way teams had to match up against us. just look at what adding krieder did for the team, and for adding a new matchup dynamic. the bottom line is if arti and dubi were players on another team guys on this board would be much more realistic about what they are. NEITHER PURELY CREATES OFFENSE!!

nash is a player who pots 30-40 a year when other teams can zero in on him as the primary offensive weapon in columbus. how much space would it open for gabby or nash if they were on different lines and teams had to pick which guy would have to go against the 1 d unit, which would leave the other player potentially against a lesser d unit.

id love to see what dubi or arti would be doing if they were in nash's situation in columbus. youd prob be looking at 30-40pt guys. they are two players who have benefited from the players around them here in NY for the last couple years. they are completely replaceable...

Old
07-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
That package should get you Nash...
No it shouldn't but hopefully it can

Old
07-06-2012, 10:34 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I think it was Clarke who had said Erixon had put on muscle during the season, the most he could during a season. He said that it is now up to Erixon to come into camp adding a little more.
Yep, it was Clarke. But he still was out-matched physically. I think he is on the McDonagh time-line which means he would spend another 1/2 season in the AHL before being called up when they think he is ready. There is no rush and they should sign a veteran anyways for depth purposes.

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue94 View Post
the only reason people say nash is overrated is bc they want to get him for a joe thornton package, which just isnt reasonable. even when thornton was dealt GMs around the league said if they had known he was available they wouldve offered allot more then SJ did.

this whole concept of 2 players combined will outscore one is pretty ... well dumb. you cannot look at it that way bc say you trade player A:50pts + player B:40pts traded for player C:70pts, well yes that is a 20pt difference BUT you will also be adding player D into the equation (to take the other place of the 2 you traded). and if player D is a solid 40-50pt guy like one of player A or B then you have just netted a 20-30pt increase. not to mention i dont see arti or dubi offensively growing beyond 40-50pt players.

and beyond all that the most important thing in all of this is NOT POINT TOTALS, it is installing a player who affects how other teams match up against us. do you think the devils were shaking in their booties when dubi came back in the series, or they suddenly had to change that way they structured their defense to handle us? not a chance! now if a player of nash's caliper were dropped into our lineup it would have definitely effected the way teams had to match up against us. just look at what adding krieder did for the team, and for adding a new matchup dynamic. the bottom line is if arti and dubi were players on another team guys on this board would be much more realistic about what they are. NEITHER PURELY CREATES OFFENSE!!

nash is a player who pots 30-40 a year when other teams can zero in on him as the primary offensive weapon in columbus. how much space would it open for gabby or nash if they were on dihfferent lines and teams had to pick which guy would have to go against the 1 d unit, which would leave the other player potentially against a lesser d unit.

id love to see what dubi or arti would be doing if they were in nash's situation in columbus. youd prob be looking at 30-40pt guys. they are two players who have benefited from the players around them here in NY for the last couple years. they are completely replaceable...
We would have to add either Hagelin or del zotto to a deal if we want to keep kreider stepan and mcdonagh

Old
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I'm greedy. I want both.

Nash--Richards--Gaborik
Kreider--Stepan--Ryan

Old
07-06-2012, 10:35 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Not sure about that GS. The way some people talk on this board, its as if its a distant memory how great of a shut down defenseman Marc Staal is. When he was finally 100% towards the end of the playoffs he was playing top notch hockey. Would love to see what this team will do with their top 4 healthy going into the start of the playoffs.
just because people would ship staal for weber doesn't mean we have a short memory..

Old
07-06-2012, 10:37 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
so tired of reading about how it's basically a constitutional amendment that the staal kids need to be on the same effing nhl team.
It's the most pathetic notion. Whether these players are bretty enough to make it their primary goal. Or the league bends to this 'edict'.
Its just embarrassing and boring. If it's true, i'll be glad none of them are on the rangers. But i'm holding out hope that marc might be his own man and want to make his own mark. Could happen!
amen

Old
BroadwayHustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I'm greedy. I want both.

Nash--Richards--Gaborik
Kreider--Stepan--Ryan
Its the Yankee fan in you, theres no way the Rangers can afford both. What assets would they even be giving up...?

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
I'm greedy. I want both.

Nash--Richards--Gaborik
Kreider--Stepan--Ryan
Very possible but ur talking about a huge overhaul. Stepan goes for Ryan. You might be able to keep kreider though and get Nash

Old
07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayHustle View Post
Its the Yankee fan in you, theres no way the Rangers can afford both. What assets would they even be giving up...?
Sure they can. Stepan package for Ryan. 2-3 players for Nash like hags mdz and miller something like that. Will they? No. Should they? No.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:40 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I'm thinking, if you don't have to trade much to get Nash. Getting Ryan is doable.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:41 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
I'm greedy. I want both.

Nash--Richards--Gaborik
Kreider--Stepan--Ryan
And you expect to deal them for what? Draft picks?

Ryan coming here means Stepan goes the other way.

Nash coming here means Dubinsky and Hagelin/Anisimov are going the other way.

Our 4 line would consist of Andre Devuax. We wouldn't even be able to fill out the rest of the 4th line.

07-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Vitto79

Clowe for anisimov, 3rd
Clowe, Richards, gaborik
Kreider, stepan, callahan
Hagelin, Dubinsky , Pyatt
Rupp, Boyle, asham

Old
07-06-2012, 10:44 AM
bleedblue94

Quote:
im not interested in waiting for free agents who very possibly will never see ufa status. the crop for next year has already taken allot of hits, and there are almost 12 month for allot of those top tier potential ufas to either resign or be traded and resign with their new clubs. look what happened this year with players resigning before ufa, and the massive over payments for 2nd tier guys bc everyone else resigned before ufa. all this talk of nash's contract is getting allittle ridiculous with how the cap has gone up and spending is happening. on the open market he absolutely would be able to get 7.8 annually (this season's ufa spending should show that).

so lets just get this done

nash for haglin OR anisimov + dubinsky + thomas + 2013 1st + 2014 3rd

get this over with already
can people handle this one?

Old
07-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Clowe for anisimov, 3rd
Clowe, Richards, gaborik
Kreider, stepan, callahan
Hagelin, Dubinsky , Pyatt
Rupp, Boyle, asham
Getting Clowe will cost Hagelin. SJ is looking to get younger and faster

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd like to explore a trade involving Dubinsky and Jamie McBain. Gives the Canes an option as a #2 center to play with Skinner if they decide to play the Staal brothers together on the top line, and also gives them some added clearance over the cap-floor. They also have Murray and Faulk as RHD coming up the pipe, and they just re-signed Corvo as well. Not to mention Bobby Sangs shredded the AHL last year and will probably be given a look in camp.

McBain gives us a solid RHD who can be an option on our PP. Another Wisconsin kid. Still has some upside and I think he could grow in our system. McBain + a prospect for Dubinsky.

Added bonus is we cut salary and opens up more avenues for trade, as including Dubinsky in a deal is no longer a requirement.
Yeah McBain is a good call, but I doubt you get more than that for just Dubinsky. We were also discussing Cody Franson(might even be cheaper).

Old
Lundsanity30

Quote:
can people handle this one?
Hagelin, AA, Thomas, pick. Either keep dubi or if we need to move him for cap, trade him for someone to replace hags or a 3c

Old
07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

nash is a player who pots 30-40 a year when other teams can zero in on him as the primary offensive weapon in columbus. how much space would it open for gabby or nash if they were on different lines and teams had to pick which guy would have to go against the 1 d unit, which would leave the other player potentially against a lesser d unit.

Nash purely creates offense? Then why doesn't he put up 80 points every year? You wanna know why? Because he is a goal scorer. Thats it. He hasnt put up 40 in years. He has a full NMC with a $7.8 cap hit that a lot of teams can't endure. It has been written that Nash doesn't look like he wants to be there at times not really giving a 100%.

The notion of two players outscoring Nash's production is not dumb at all. Getting younger with cheaper cap hits who will produce at least 80 points, filling out your roster when you have nothing in the pipelines and no free agents wanting to sign there is pretty damn worthy of the value of your "star" player. Nash is overrated for what he makes, hands down. He has nice hands and size. When he comes here and scores 50 goals I'll eat crow. He hasnt been surrounded with completely incompetent players yet he gets paid like the elite players in the league. Crosby is elite. He can make no name players or average players better. Stop with this bs that Nash is worth the moon.

Ignorance.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Oh, but common sense doesn't apply to Staal. I say re-sign him since we can force people's actions.

Of course someone will say you can't guarantee that. It doesn't go both ways, right? You can guarantee that Weber, who has no ties or loyalty to the Rangers, will re-sign here after a trade, but Staal who hasn't said boo about his brothers will bolt in 4 years.

Staal potentially leaving in 4 years is worse than Weber potentially leaving in 1 year after a costly trade. Amazing logic. The complete need for Ranger fans to have every player has reached an unprecedented level.
Dutch, you keep on repeating this and ignoring the multiple posts that address this. He will not be traded here as a rental. Staal would only get moved if Weber would be willing to sign an extension here.

Also, bring up the CBA, I already posted this in the last thread. If Polie moves Weber, he wants to do it during this summer. He can get more in return, because cap circumventing contracts will be grandfathered into the new CBA(if they were signed prior too).

Last edited by Blueshirt Believer: 07-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Closed Thread