HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Semin - Plan B

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 05:55 PM
  #251
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,536
vCash: 500
Dmitry Chesnokov @dchesnokov

I asked Semin if he was going to play in Detroit - one of the clubs reportedly interested. His reply: "I don't know." Evaluating his options

__________________
Everything about you is bringing me misery.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:50 PM
  #252
Lifetimebluesfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Y? Rangers have like 15+ mil in cap space last time i checked.
Sorry, I meant to ask if you guys would look into trading a center like Boyle if you got Semin since you already have Richards, anisimov, kreider, Stephan, and Haley down the middle.

Lifetimebluesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:54 PM
  #253
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 57,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimebluesfan View Post
Sorry, I meant to ask if you guys would look into trading a center like Boyle if you got Semin since you already have Richards, anisimov, kreider, Stephan, and Haley down the middle.
Kreider isn't a center. Well, he isn't being utilized as one and he won't be anytime soon.

Center depth is Richards-Stepan-Anisimov-Boyle-Haley.

To answer your question, no, I don't believe the Rangers would look to actively move Boyle regardless of whether or not they sign Semin. Frankly, the two are mutually exclusive and have nothing to do with the other.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:45 PM
  #254
LordsCup*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
I see no reason to get deseprate and spend our cap room on him. Next year we can make a great run on one ir two great young players. I say wait it out. Semin wants long term, let the wings sign him.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:47 PM
  #255
Death By BB Gun
#therightway
 
Death By BB Gun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New York City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post
I see no reason to get deseprate and spend our cap room on him. Next year we can make a great run on one ir two great young players. I say wait it out. Semin wants long term, let the wings sign him.
Do you mean our players or players on the market, because I can't remember there being that many names.

Death By BB Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:01 PM
  #256
GamerZX101
Registered User
 
GamerZX101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Hagelin-Richards-Semin
Kreider-Stepan-Cally
Dubi-AA-Pyatt
Rupp/Haley-Boyle-Asham

What's that, too much scoring for you Sather?

GamerZX101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:03 PM
  #257
LordsCup*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By BB Gun View Post
Do you mean our players or players on the market, because I can't remember there being that many names.
Players on market. I dont have the list in front of me but there is a very large amount of stars on it.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:52 PM
  #258
jskramer83
Registered User
 
jskramer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By BB Gun View Post
Do you mean our players or players on the market, because I can't remember there being that many names.
As week as both this draft class was and this years free agent class is, next year crop of both is that strong

Perry
Getzlaf
Iginla
Elias
Hartnell
Lupul
Morrow
Close

Just to name a few

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:02 PM
  #259
NJRangers35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
As week as both this draft class was and this years free agent class is, next year crop of both is that strong

Perry
Getzlaf
Iginla
Elias
Hartnell
Lupul
Morrow
Close

Just to name a few
Perry is the only player on that list I would be very interested in and there is no guarantee he even hits free agency. Getzlaf is more of a playmaker then he is scorer. Don't get me wrong but I honestly rather have Nash over Getlzaf for our team. Elias is getting older and I rather have Nash. Would rather have Nash over Hartnell and definitley over Morrow. Lupul is a good player, but no guarantee he repeats and still is not the player Nash is. Plus you have to think Toronto is going to vastly overpay for him since they cannot seem to get anyone to come to Toronto. Finally Iginla is getting up there in age and is not someone I would count on to just add to the core. I don't think getting Nash this offseason would eliminate us from offering Iginla a 2 year deal next offseason.

With all that said I think it comes down to Perry and Nash. At this point if we can secure Nash opposed to waiting a whole year for Perry who isn't guaranteed to be there then I say we go hard after Nash. I have been opposed to everyone saying lets go into next offseason because there is a strong fee agent class. There is nothing really there that much better for this team than Nash, except for Perry. I am in the camp of going all in for Nash. I think he gets very underrated on this board and is a 40 goal scorer next to Richards. I also think going after Semin would be a great move as well. If we unload Dubinsky in the Nash deal and can lock up Semin for 4.5 mil, then I say lets go all in. We would be adding 8.1 mil with these two moves.

NJRangers35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:07 PM
  #260
jskramer83
Registered User
 
jskramer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRangers35 View Post
Perry is the only player on that list I would be very interested in and there is no guarantee he even hits free agency. Getzlaf is more of a playmaker then he is scorer. Don't get me wrong but I honestly rather have Nash over Getlzaf for our team. Elias is getting older and I rather have Nash. Would rather have Nash over Hartnell and definitley over Morrow. Lupul is a good player, but no guarantee he repeats and still is not the player Nash is. Plus you have to think Toronto is going to vastly overpay for him since they cannot seem to get anyone to come to Toronto. Finally Iginla is getting up there in age and is not someone I would count on to just add to the core. I don't think getting Nash this offseason would eliminate us from offering Iginla a 2 year deal next offseason.

With all that said I think it comes down to Perry and Nash. At this point if we can secure Nash opposed to waiting a whole year for Perry who isn't guaranteed to be there then I say we go hard after Nash. I have been opposed to everyone saying lets go into next offseason because there is a strong fee agent class. There is nothing really there that much better for this team than Nash, except for Perry. I am in the camp of going all in for Nash. I think he gets very underrated on this board and is a 40 goal scorer next to Richards. I also think going after Semin would be a great move as well. If we unload Dubinsky in the Nash deal and can lock up Semin for 4.5 mil, then I say lets go all in. We would be adding 8.1 mil with these two moves.
Difference is you can get those assets without giving up any assets, only thing it takes is patience. Which I know is a rare quality around these parts.

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:12 PM
  #261
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,139
vCash: 500
Screw Semin!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:14 PM
  #262
NJRangers35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
Difference is you can get those assets without giving up any assets, only thing it takes is patience. Which I know is a rare quality around these parts.
I am not advocating giving up Kreider, Stepan or McDonagh. But at the same time Rick Nash is a very good player. People are constantly putting him down and saying he is not worth. Yes his cap hit is a high, and yes his numbers have been down the past few years, but he is still young and will be playing with much better players. It is pretty ridiculous that it seems like every single Ranger is untouchable. The Kings went out and traded quite possibly the best prospect in all of hockey last summer for Richards. They then traded a player from their top 4 for Carter. I agree with patience, but at the same time you need to be realistic and realize JT Miller should not be untouchable. In no way should Carl Hagelin be the reason Rick Nash doesn't come to the Garden. That is all I am trying to say.

NJRangers35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:19 AM
  #263
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star
 
messierjagrlundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
I'll go on record as saying that I hate these enigma-type players. Besides the fact that watching an underperforming engima talent type player is a horribly frustrating fan experience: Any player can have a bad playoffs. An enigma is exponentially more likely to disappear during playoff hockey because enigma-ism usually has its source in lack of character or some other personality defect. Sure, Semin doesn't cost assets but a high-paid winger underperforming in a playoff series is a pretty bad blow for any team. Especially one that has a chance to win now (and we do.) Say no to Semin. Also, One of the biggest reasons that this team has been successful - something that no one is mentioning - is that is has been built on character.

Try for Nash or Ryan or a somewhat decent scoring winger by the trading deadline to help us in the playoffs.

messierjagrlundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:42 AM
  #264
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
i like the idea of signing semin for many reasons. one, it costs only money. he's exactly what the rangers need, in theory. he may not have the best attitude, but if any team can improve an attitude, it's the rangers. but i really like it, cuz it ices the blue jackets gm. get doan and semin. good job.
egelband, I don't agree with the bolded part and it would be interesting to hear your reasoning behind it. It think its almost the opposite.

Why would we need a sniper? Isn't our problem that we fail to get any offense going when our forecheck don't work? As opposed to not being able to put the puck in the net (an area a sniper of course helps in).

And besides that, our PP is of course a big black hole. Our best sniper is a RH in Ryan Callahan, and we also got a RH playmaker in Derek Stepan. Semin could of course potentially be used in some capacity there, but our big hole is of course that we don't have anyone who BR can set up with on the right side of the ice. In Tampa he had LeCav down low and in Dallas he had Riberio. You need two playmakers, more or less, that can work of each other on the PP. If you set up on the right side which we do with BR on the ice -- the playmaker down low gotta be LHed.

In terms of style and position on a team, Semin is very much like Gabby. They will skate up and down there wing and finnish any rush they can with a wrister. They won't beat D's one on one. They will not go deep and fetch the puck and take it up ice. Neither is a factor down low on the circle. Neither contributes with much creativity or playmaking ability.

I personally feel that someone like Pat Kane would be perfect in terms of style. Having a player like MSL on the ice with Torts system greatly helped Torts in Tampa. A player who kind of could do it all offensively by himself. That breaks the pattern and we are very predictable.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:51 AM
  #265
messierjagrlundqvist
Pop Star
 
messierjagrlundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 65
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

I personally feel that someone like Pat Kane would be perfect in terms of style. Having a player like MSL on the ice with Torts system greatly helped Torts in Tampa. A player who kind of could do it all offensively by himself. That breaks the pattern and we are very predictable.
+1 for us being predictable. Would be so nice to have a player with some offensive creativity on the team. Richards and Stepan come closest as passers as far as creative offense goes and some element of surprise but a creative finisher would be just a whole other layer

messierjagrlundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:50 AM
  #266
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRangers35 View Post
Perry is the only player on that list I would be very interested in and there is no guarantee he even hits free agency. Getzlaf is more of a playmaker then he is scorer. Don't get me wrong but I honestly rather have Nash over Getlzaf for our team. Elias is getting older and I rather have Nash. Would rather have Nash over Hartnell and definitley over Morrow. Lupul is a good player, but no guarantee he repeats and still is not the player Nash is. Plus you have to think Toronto is going to vastly overpay for him since they cannot seem to get anyone to come to Toronto. Finally Iginla is getting up there in age and is not someone I would count on to just add to the core. I don't think getting Nash this offseason would eliminate us from offering Iginla a 2 year deal next offseason.

With all that said I think it comes down to Perry and Nash. At this point if we can secure Nash opposed to waiting a whole year for Perry who isn't guaranteed to be there then I say we go hard after Nash. I have been opposed to everyone saying lets go into next offseason because there is a strong fee agent class. There is nothing really there that much better for this team than Nash, except for Perry. I am in the camp of going all in for Nash. I think he gets very underrated on this board and is a 40 goal scorer next to Richards. I also think going after Semin would be a great move as well. If we unload Dubinsky in the Nash deal and can lock up Semin for 4.5 mil, then I say lets go all in. We would be adding 8.1 mil with these two moves.
I would take Ryan Getzlaf as a free agent 110x/100 over Rick Nash who the Rangers would have to give up significant assets for.

I also like Clowe and Hartnell as they would add a different facet to the Rangers top-6 that they are sorely lacking.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:51 AM
  #267
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by messierjagrlundqvist View Post
+1 for us being predictable. Would be so nice to have a player with some offensive creativity on the team. Richards and Stepan come closest as passers as far as creative offense goes and some element of surprise but a creative finisher would be just a whole other layer
Yeah, either a playmaker or a player who will challenge D's 1 on 1 on a regular basis -- or whatever.

IE, I wouldn't at all want player types like Dany Heatly, Alex Semin or Brendan Shanahan, for example, why I would be interested in players like Rich Nash, Ales Hemsky and or Riberio, for example.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:29 AM
  #268
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 7,130
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would take Ryan Getzlaf as a free agent 110x/100 over Rick Nash who the Rangers would have to give up significant assets for.

I also like Clowe and Hartnell as they would add a different facet to the Rangers top-6 that they are sorely lacking.
Getzlaf is regressing. Clowe doesn't belong in our top 6. Neither does Hartnell.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:36 AM
  #269
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,570
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
Getzlaf is regressing. Clowe doesn't belong in our top 6. Neither does Hartnell.
Err.. what? 20 goal power-forwards don't belong in our top-six?

This is the first time in the last 5 years that Getzlaf hasn't scored at a PPG or better pace. You'd be absolutely insane if you didn't jump at the chance to land him.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:43 AM
  #270
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
The only thing that's regressing is Getzlaf's hairline.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:34 AM
  #271
Dorado*
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Brooklyn ,USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,819
vCash: 500
Getzlaf not pretty enough for NYR

Dorado* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
  #272
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
After looking at FA class next year, I'd rather not invest in Semin or Doan long term.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:56 PM
  #273
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!
 
glenwo2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New Jersey(No Fanz!)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,198
vCash: 500
Don't know how reliable this is but :



Quote:
Down Goes Avery @DownGoesAvery

I asked Alex Semin's agent if the Devils were interested in him; he said "I can't comment."
Status Quo? Did Lou get to him?

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:29 PM
  #274
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Err.. what? 20 goal power-forwards don't belong in our top-six?

This is the first time in the last 5 years that Getzlaf hasn't scored at a PPG or better pace. You'd be absolutely insane if you didn't jump at the chance to land him.
You know how it works here, haha. The guy had one average season so he clearly isn't a top player anymore. Just like Dubi isn't a solid player anymore because of one bad year.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:29 PM
  #275
dtrap
Registered User
 
dtrap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,720
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
After looking at FA class next year, I'd rather not invest in Semin or Doan long term.
But what are the odds most of those guys made it to UFA status?

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.