HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do with their two 2013 3rd round picks?
Trade both picks 15 36.59%
Trade one pick, but keep the other 10 24.39%
Hang on to both picks 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Lundsanity30

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGY View Post
Thats better than dubi and AA? Its worse.
Dubi makes a lot more than AA does and will put up close to the same pts. Less salary going back and 2 younger forwards with promise to get better.

Old
GregSirico

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
McD won't win a Norris. Even if he tops out at 12-15 goals that won't be enough with the likes of Karlsson, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo in the league.
I have a funny feeling we have not seen his real offensive potential yet.

Old
mooskating
flex

Quote:
McD won't win a Norris. Even if he tops out at 12-15 goals that won't be enough with the likes of Karlsson, Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo in the league.
karlsson's defensive game is absolutely terrible. so baffled that he won this year. should've been weber hands down
doughty isn't even close to mcdonagh

put mcdonagh on the pp and we'll see a lotttt more going forward. this kid just started developing his offensive game last year and it's already arguably the best on the team-- while being the #1 shutdown defenseman on one of the best defensive cores in the league... in his second year!

Old
07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

The "trade one of our top defenseman for Weber" talk looks good in a vacuum, but in reality it shows an alarming lack of understanding regarding how this team is trying to develop. A cheap defensive corp that has proven to be greater than the sum of its parts is at the heart of what is currently making this team successful.

Trading one (and more) of those pieces of a guy that is 1 year away from unrestricted free agency and is going to get WILDLY overpaid is a frightening proposition.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
Again, you are all upgrading a spot that doesn't need an upgrade. Our top 4 are set. We need scoring and a 3rd pair. Staal, Girardi and McD are a financial bargain and effective so long as they aren't playing prohibitive minutes. Weber isn't a solution and twice Staal's price.

It's absolutely senseless for the Rangers to dedicate an extra $4m in cap to fix something that isn't broken. Assets and cap space should be spent on some scoring, re-signing Stralman and MDZ, and locking down one more RD that can eat minutes and hopefully move the puck up ice. Weber for Staal doesn't reduce minutes for the defensemen.

All the talk is "Staal for Weber, Staal for Weber" That's the starting point, who else is included. Not our garbage like Dubinsky. Not Thomas. Kreider, Stepan, Hagelin, MDZ, Miller, McIlrath... some of the so-called untouchable names. The cheap entry level replacements that help offset Weber level contracts.

I'm just thankful that the organization isn't wasting time and energy trying to fix things like the top 4.
Powerplay is a very serious issue that needs an upgrade. This move wouldn't be made to upgrade the top 4 rather, upgrade scoring and powerplay. Just because a guy plays defense doesn't mean this won't be an offensive move. Powerplay is very broken. An extra 4 mil could have made us that much closer to winning the cup.

And it'd most likely be prospects and picks. Nashville doesn't have full negotiation rights as Weber is refusing to re-sign with them.

Old
NJRangers35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
karlsson's defensive game is absolutely terrible. so baffled that he won this year. should've been weber hands down
Doughty isnt close to McDonagh ? That's an unbelievable xommenet

Old
mooskating
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRangers35 View Post
doughty is overrated.

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post

put mcdonagh on the pp and we'll see a lotttt more going forward. this kid just started developing his offensive game last year and it's already arguably the best on the team-- while being the #1 shutdown defenseman on one of the best defensive cores in the league... in his second year!
A big hearty LOL to bolded.

I hope and pray that McDonagh can develop anywhere near where Doughty is as a player. That guy is awesome.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
If you've watched him the past two regular seasons it really isn't.

Old
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Well, I am still hoping Nash stays in Columbus.

We can sign free agents so we don't have to break up our roster. Why get a RW when you have to sacrifice 2 centers? What are we going to do then?

Just sign Semin and Doan!

While I am not all aboard the Nash train, Dubinsky and Anisimov should not hold this team back from acquiring a scoring winger.

I like Dubi, but for salary purposes he will have to go the other way in most cases.

Anisimov OTOH, is the most expendable asset we have.

Want no part of Semin but I'd love to get Doan.

Old
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
Huh? Doughty hasn't been nearly as good as McDonagh has during the season. He had one good playoffs and now everyone thinks hes the next Lidstrom.

Those guys aren't Leetch, MacInnis, Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Stevens. McDonagh can win a Norris, he also may not, he's what 23 years old?
The fact that he was able to have a couple of good years shows the offense is definitely there. He's not as good defensively as McDonagh but he's better offensively. McDonagh will never put up enough offense to win the Norris. It just won't happen and I love the guy.

I see McDonagh topping out in the 13-15 goal range and that won't cut it. The Norris is basically given to the best offensive defenseman now and I think while McDonagh is a #1 defensemen he won't put up the numbers to be a Norris winner.

Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
You're ignoring that negotiating with the player prior to the trade, in other words guaranteeing the new deal, always drives up price.

If Weber won't re-sign with Nashville, he must have some contract they won't agree to. What will the contract be in the event Nashville has to walk away?

Pure video game fantasy.
When the hell did I ignore or say that wouldn't be the case?!

Weber's contract will most likely be about the 7+million dollar range. Its not an issue with money with Nashville(they will give him whatever he wants money wise).

The issue is, does he want to stay in Nashville? When his defensive partner just bolted.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
What? If he doesn't resign with Nashville it could very well be because he doesn't want to. Doesn't have to be the team walking away.
I don't get that impression with him, but who am I. If he's walking away from Nashville, let's just grab him next season for free.

It's still the same dreamworld scenarios though. -Only if he re-signs with us. -for Staal + which I'm sure no one expects to include anything decent. -Staal will leave in 4 years. -he doesn't want to play in Nashville, but he wants to play here. -we'll get to negotiate before the trade.

All of this for something we don't "need". If we didn't have other holes and we want to go over the top, yeah maybe this is an avenue. Our money and assets are spent better on other concerns. Seriously, this is like trying to land Luongo to upgrade Lundqvist.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:20 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The "trade one of our top defenseman for Weber" talk looks good in a vacuum, but in reality it shows an alarming lack of understanding regarding how this team is trying to develop. A cheap defensive corp that has proven to be greater than the sum of its parts is at the heart of what is currently making this team successful.

Trading one (and more) of those pieces of a guy that is 1 year away from unrestricted free agency and is going to get WILDLY overpaid is a frightening proposition.
So tired of the "high and mighty" condescending type responses around here.

What it shows is SPECULATION, based on the Rangers being interested in Weber and the fact that we've discussed Ryan and Nash way too much lately.

Reality? Here is reality, that cheap young D core isn't going to be cheap forever.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:21 AM
mooskating
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
A big hearty LOL to bolded.

I hope and pray that McDonagh can develop anywhere near where Doughty is as a player. That guy is awesome.
i mean i guess if you wanna compare gifs, doughty dominates mcdonagh...

Old
07-06-2012, 11:22 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I have a funny feeling we have not seen his real offensive potential yet.
I agree that's why I feel like he can top out at around 13-15 goals.

Karlsson is terrible defensively but the Norris seems to now be given to the gear offensive defensemen and with Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo in the league for the next decade plus McDonagh won't be in that conversation.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd like to explore a trade involving Dubinsky and Jamie McBain. Gives the Canes an option as a #2 center to play with Skinner if they decide to play the Staal brothers together on the top line, and also gives them some added clearance over the cap-floor. They also have Murray and Faulk as RHD coming up the pipe, and they just re-signed Corvo as well. Not to mention Bobby Sangs shredded the AHL last year and will probably be given a look in camp.

McBain gives us a solid RHD who can be an option on our PP. Another Wisconsin kid. Still has some upside and I think he could grow in our system. McBain + a prospect for Dubinsky.

Added bonus is we cut salary and opens up more avenues for trade, as including Dubinsky in a deal is no longer a requirement.
I don't know if Sanguinetti and shredded belong in the same sentence.

He did a good job of putting up some points, not dominating, but good. Unfortunately, his defense is still lacking and his physical play isn't much better.

He'll get a look, but I doubt expectations are too high at this point.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:24 AM
DaRangers

Bottom 6

Sometimes I need to just shake my head at Brooksie. It is completely obvious that Asham is the Prust replacement and Pyatt is the Feds replacement. They both might not be better in the defensive zone, but they are both better in the offensive zone. Pyatt is perfect for the 3rd line in Torts' Scheme. He wants a cycle and puck possesion and to wear down the defenseman. That is exactly what these guys do and have the ability to put the puck in the net. Essentially we got two cheaper guys that can pot in a few more pucks.

As much as I don't like seeing Prust go, our 3rd and 4th lines needed a shakeup. They were getting crushed in the playoffs by Ottawa and the Devils 4th lines. We couldn't even win a face off in the Ottawa series and we all know about the Devils 4th line dominating us. Even a few games in the Washington series their bottom 6 were getting great scoring chances and Washington has zero depth.

This obviously isn't the answer to our scoring woes, but it does create secondary scoring that we desperately need. By the time the playoffs rolled in everyone knew that they needed to key on the Hags-Richards-Gabs line. They were putting their shut down lines against them and our 2nd line couldn't get the job done either. We needed that secondary scoring. Maybe this will help. Maybe it won't, but at least this creates about an extra 1.5 million to get someone (Nash/Ryan/Doan/Semin) that can fill out our top 6.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
The fact that he was able to have a couple of good years shows the offense is definitely there. He's not as good defensively as McDonagh but he's better offensively. McDonagh will never put up enough offense to win the Norris. It just won't happen and I love the guy.

I see McDonagh topping out in the 13-15 goal range and that won't cut it. The Norris is basically given to the best offensive defenseman now and I think while McDonagh is a #1 defensemen he won't put up the numbers to be a Norris winner.
13-15 goals while being the top defensive defenseman in the NHL isn't enough? That's what Chara and Lidstrom average. McDonagh literally had 0 PP time and had 30+ points. I think he can hit 50-55 in a year more than once. It definitely isn't something out of the realm of possibility.

Old
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
I don't get that impression with him, but who am I. If he's walking away from Nashville, let's just grab him next season for free.

It's still the same dreamworld scenarios though. -Only if he re-signs with us. -for Staal + which I'm sure no one expects to include anything decent. -Staal will leave in 4 years. -he doesn't want to play in Nashville, but he wants to play here. -we'll get to negotiate before the trade.

All of this for something we don't "need". If we didn't have other holes and we want to go over the top, yeah maybe this is an avenue. Our money and assets are spent better on other concerns. Seriously, this is like trying to land Luongo to upgrade Lundqvist.
It's nothing like trying to land Luongo to upgrade Lundqvist. Clearly Lundqvist is better but aside from that Weber is arguably he best D-man in the league. We don't have the 2nd best D-man on our team.

I'm all for signing him as a free agent if we can but it still means someone is out the door. If Nashville can't lock him up long term now, they will trade his rights so they don't lose him for nothing.

Old
MadHookUp

McDonagh is a special player, and my favorite player. But Doughty is a lock to net several Norris trophies.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:26 AM
eco's bones

Whatever Sather finally does regarding Nash--trades for him or not--he needs to resist getting in a bidding war with other teams which is not a smart thing to do--it's I'll do whatever it takes--whatever it costs approach and that is ****ed up. Glen has to set in his mind what he's worth to the Rangers--considering all the positives and negatives of players he would move and contracts involved from both sides. There is no rush right now. There are other options that can be explored if Nash gets moved elsewhere in the meantime. Training camp is still over two months away.

Personally--Nash's production isn't in line with his contract and that's a problem. We get good value out of an ELC player like Hagelin. Real good value. Nash has been giving Columbus subpar value for his and 6 more years makes dealing for him questionable considering that very likely sooner rather than later in those 6 years another better option might become available.

I don't mind Slats kicking the tires here but if we're going to make a deal for Nash I really wouldn't want to give up a whole hell of a lot--a roster forward, a very good prospect and a high draft pick would seem more than enough.

Old
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Erixon's Lunchbox View Post
Powerplay is a very serious issue that needs an upgrade. This move wouldn't be made to upgrade the top 4 rather, upgrade scoring and powerplay. Just because a guy plays defense doesn't mean this won't be an offensive move. Powerplay is very broken. An extra 4 mil could have made us that much closer to winning the cup.

And it'd most likely be prospects and picks. Nashville doesn't have full negotiation rights as Weber is refusing to re-sign with them.
Weber isn't going to make the forwards better. He has the shot from the point, no doubt. Our problem is that somewhat, but it's more linked to the slow hands and minds of our pp forwards. No one time passes, not enough skating, no cross ice passes. Philly owns the slot and middle, we skirt the puck around the boards. Philly knows what they are doing with the puck before it's on their stick.

I'm not denying that Weber can and will help. I'd rather spend on forwards that can think fast and use some skill.

Old
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
This. We got some homers here. Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelon >> McDonagh.

Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
So tired of the "high and mighty" condescending type responses around here.

What it shows is SPECULATION, based on the Rangers being interested in Weber and the fact that we've discussed Ryan and Nash way too much lately.

Reality? Here is reality, that cheap young D core isn't going to be cheap forever.
Besides McDonagh, none of our defenseman are going to command an AAV of $5M+. They are a group that excels as a unit without an individual star (and McDonagh is cost controlled for several years).

Youll have to explain to me how trading one or more of those very valuable assets for a guy that is going to command an $8M+ cap hit for the next decade+ constitutes a good move. Just because its speculation doesnt means its not silly.

Closed Thread