HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Prust to Montreal [4 years, $10M]

Old
07-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Roulin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
Anyways, over the past two years their offense has been literally identical with the same icetime. I'll agree that Neil is a pure ******* though, while Prust can switch it on and off.
That's not a good thing.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
That's not a good thing.
What? ~20 points is a good tally for 3rd-4th liners who play with an edge.

MarkersMark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Roulin

Quote:
What? ~20 points is a good tally for 3rd-4th liners who play with an edge.
Here are the post lockout comps I came up with by pts, gp, age and pim.

The only ones who came close to 2mil per season are Prust and Neil. I would argue that both are grossly overvalued by the teams that pay them. I'll take Dorsett.

But, props to you for finding the comp first! Two players that are not quite the same, but are paid for similar reasons.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:33 PM
MarkersMark*

Quote:

The only ones who came close to 2mil per season are Prust and Neil. I would argue that both are grossly overvalued by the teams that pay them. I'll take Dorsett.

But, props to you for finding the comp first! Two players that are not quite the same, but are paid for similar reasons.
Prust is overpaid by .500k-.750k but the reality is that's the price you pay for being a last placed team in a highly taxed city that's unable to draft and retain guys like Prust on their own. Dorsett would take a 2nd or 3rd round pick to aquire, like Carcillo did a few years back. And I think we can all agree that Carcillo is the worst of the bunch.

I would have preferred never getting rid of Asham a decade back, but what can you do.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:06 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
We got our Chris Neil and people are still pissing a moaning.

Oh well, pretty much confirms what I already knew about the testicular fortitude of our fanbase.
Pierre Gauthier was associated with this franchise for almost 9 years.

A lot of the posters here were still in single digits when Gauthier got here and started pussifying this franchise. So that is all they know. Passive hockey and not standing up for yourself or your teammates.

And no, Laraque does not count as he was an aberration when it comes to "enforcers". He didnt enforce ****. He only liked his fights where he asked first for permission.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:11 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:

We have heard this for years. "Yes, toughness is needed BUT they have to be able to play hockey."

So we get Prust (who is a valuable asset on the PK and can score the occasional goal as a 3rd liner) and all we hear is *****ing about paying half a million more per year for addressing a REAL need.

The same **** said about Prust on this thread by the anti-fighting crowd would be said about Dorsett if we would have hired him.

Sad.....

Old
07-06-2012, 03:15 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Dorsett loves Columbus and vice versa. Hard to believe, but it's true. It would take huge overpayment to get him here. He wasn't available.

Prust is slightly overpaid but I think he'll be worth it. I just hope he's ready to be a target and I hope Moen and White are also ready to "team up" with Pruster.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Dorsett loves Columbus and vice versa. Hard to believe, but it's true. It would take huge overpayment to get him here. He wasn't available.

Prust is slightly overpaid but I think he'll be worth it. I just hope he's ready to be a target and I hope Moen and White are also ready to "team up" with Pruster.
I think Prust will be targeting a lot more than being a target.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
I think Prust will be targeting a lot more than being a target.
I know, but the Bs will target him every game as he's the only real middle/light heavyweight that we have.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Roulin

Quote:

I didn't mean that the Habs should've pursued Dorsett. Just making the point that Prust's comps make substantially less than 2.5mil.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

It's sad to see that people are complaining about Prust's salary/

Let's just overlook the fact that it's what happens in a weak market, overlook that on a full cap, an average player makes 3 mil.

Really, logic would have it that one would just look at this as if we're still in 2005.

People are way too hung up on salaries and player value. Let's not look at this in terms of necessity and needs.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
I know, but the Bs will target him every game as he's the only real middle/light heavyweight that we have.
Its like the schoolyard bully. If he comes for you and you dont fight back, he will always come for you.

Not to worry. Prust can handle it. And if not, I am sure that Moen and White will help out.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:53 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Tell me about it. The only thing that got me through the Gauthier-Gainey era was NHL Center Ice. That way I was able to watch real hockey while those two hacks pansified our franchise.

Then again it doesn't surprise me given Gainey's reputation as a human punching bag when he was in the league.
Too bad we dont have video from Gauthier's elementary/middle school days. I am sure that he endured all kinds of harassment and beatings.

Probably explains why PG is so skinny. He was so used to giving up his lunch money to bullies every day that he figured he really didnt need to eat then or as an adult.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:00 PM
MarkersMark*

Quote:
Too bad we dont have video from Gauthier's elementary/middle school days. I am sure that he endured all kinds of harassment and beatings.

Probably explains why PG is so skinny. He was so used to giving up his lunch money to bullies every day that he figured he really didnt need to eat then or as an adult.
Everytime I saw Goatse at the grocery store I was convinced he was just there to use a shopping cart as a walker. I would have had a field day negotiating a trade with that bag of bones.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50

I've only found 1 welcome to Montreal and it's not by Watsatheo. He does them well and long with an always interesting choice of music.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:43 PM
MoldyCakes
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

Being a vegan probably makes it rough on his attempt to gain weight either by working out or fattening up by eating protein and fat laden meats.

MoldyCakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 06:56 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

I'm really going to miss Prust on my team yes he got a big payday ... but he brings so much to a locker room that never goes on the stat sheet. You guys got a great character guy ... and with the young talent ... that means A LOT.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:01 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I loved Prust, I still do... we all did. There aren't many Rangers fan who will tell you they're happy about losing the guy. He fills a need on the Habs for sure, and he will be a fan favorite as well, make no mistake about that.

He's courageous like no other and he's a great fighter for his size. He'll lose some, sure... but he wins more than he loses and the fact of the matter is that he will stick up for his team. A bunch of you like White for these reasons? He's the rich man's White. He's pretty good on the PK, and will enhance the 4th line on most teams. All that said, he's not a 3rd liner. He's a 4th liner who can step up and play on the 3rd if a team's lacking depth due to injury or in certain line-juggling energy-searching situations. You just can't really expect him to play more than 10-12 minutes a game and be more than he's ever been. You can't expect more than 10 goals.

I'm using the word "expect" because weird things happen and you can't predict everything, I'm just saying it's highly unlikely, and at this point the best and most logical assumption is that he's a 4th liner playing somewhere around 10-12 minutes who will get in the vicinity of 15 points. So, realistically... he's not worth 2.5M for his point production, but Montreal had to overpay a bit to get a guy the team needed and that's completely fine. I'm in the minority, but I'd have given him that to stay in NYC. That's how much I loved the dude =)
Could not stress this enough.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:38 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I'm really going to miss Prust on my team yes he got a big payday ... but he brings so much to a locker room that never goes on the stat sheet. You guys got a great character guy ... and with the young talent ... that means A LOT.
But that's not what's important to a certain Montreal fanbase, he MUST be able to score goals and get paid less than a million and speak french. ( and god forbid he drop his gloves )

The rest is not important.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:45 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
But that's not what's important to a certain Montreal fanbase, he MUST be able to score goals and get paid less than a million and speak french. ( and god forbid he drop his gloves )

The rest is not important.
Of course, no one's actually said any of the above, but ... ha ha?

It's not even an exaggeration of reality.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:03 AM
ChoseLa

Prust is just as good at hockey than Dorsett but also a better fighter. I'll take Prust before Dorsett.

ChoseLa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

don't make the mistake of assuming that a subjective choice of statistical parameters gives you any kind of real insight into the player's overall value to his team.

I haven't watched enough of Columbus to comment on Dorsett, but from watching a fair amount of both Ottawa and New York, it's very fair to say that both Prust and Neil are the type of roster players who have a tangible impact on the emotional & energy levels of their teammates... can't quantify it statistically (or, finding the right parameters to do so has yet to be do as far as I know).

Neil, like Prust, isn't earning his contract based on points totals (nor PIM totals), his perceived value to the team goes well beyond surface statistics.

people can argue until their blue in the face that attitude/work ethic/character have no value or that they are overstated, as it must appear to those who haven't experienced competitive sports at the elite level yet consider themselves more aware of "what really matters" than people who live and work in that environment for most of their lives.

it's really as simple as this... when you are putting your body physically on the line, and trust with your co-workers is important, character absolutely matters. Trust is hard to build and easy to loose, a team that doesn't trust each other is at a huge disadvantage... character builds trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
It's sad to see that people are complaining about Prust's salary/

Let's just overlook the fact that it's what happens in a weak market, overlook that on a full cap, an average player makes 3 mil.

Really, logic would have it that one would just look at this as if we're still in 2005.

People are way too hung up on salaries and player value. Let's not look at this in terms of necessity and needs.
could not agree more.

i'm speechless... i mean, i knew it would happen eventually...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:54 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Prust will have more fighting majors than Gomez will have points.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
That's exactly why he was signed and I fully agree with you that he will be a great addition to the team. I have no doubt that he will become a players' and fans' favourite in no time.

As for the salary, some people here are acting like they're the ones paying the bill. Who cares? Watch Bergevin build this team and enjoy the ride! That's what being a fan is all about.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 09:04 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Says it all..../thread...

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote