HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Free Agent Sit and Think Things Through Thoroughly (Matt Carle signed with Tampa Bay)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2012, 02:03 AM
  #976
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
I asked hawks fans earlier in the year and they wanted Giroux. He's not moving.
Well, I'm glad the fans are now deciding on what move is going to be made...

Ryker is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 07:29 AM
  #977
TOCxNJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Jersey Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 1,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Well, I'm glad the fans are now deciding on what move is going to be made...
haha, glad someone finally said this.

TOCxNJ is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
  #978
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Which isn't all that impressive. Let's be real. Last years team wasn't all that good. Ok but not that good. We got lucky Pittsburgh self destructed. We have the same questions going into this year we did last year. Will the kids play well? Will bryz live up to his contract? How will the defense play? Is out depth reliable?

That said I like where we are I'd rather stand pat and get form answers to those first two questions before we go further. If the kids are great keep em. If bryz contines to be mediocre then a change has to be made
I mean, we changed up the team fairly drastically last off season and used 11 rookies during the regular season, and 7 in the playoffs. I didn't expect us to challenge for the Cup this year, and I won't really do so next year either. I'd have loved to get Suter and/or Parise here, but they didn't go for the offer Homer gave them. Even if we would have done so however, Couturier, Schenn, Read, Wellwood, Rinaldo, Bourdon would still only be sophomores. That's a few too many for a team to go really far. Usually at least. That's also a reason not to lock up any of the "leftovers" of this rather poor ufa class to long term contracts just to make some signings. Next year looks a lot more promising, both for the team as it stands now, and for ways to improve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
That's the whole thing, I can't see any move the Flyers can realistically make that gets them closer to a Stanley Cup. With that in mind I'm completely comfortable with a couple of depth signings and continuing to let Schenn and Couturier develop.
Agreed. Also, if we do have cap space to bank for a change, there could be some options to upgrade later on in the season. There are quite a few interesting players that will become ufa's next season and at least some of them will be on teams more or less out of it come trade deadline time. Rather wait for that than fill in the 6th d spot right now with someone like Colaiacovo (I wanted him a few off seasons ago however, when he re-upped with the Blues...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
Little worried about trading Laughton already. I feel like his best hockey is ahead of him and his value will be higher in the future. I guess this is kind of like trading Sbisa. You knew he was going to be good, but you got over it for the return (well at least before Prongs got hurt).
One would certainly hope so.

mirimon is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 09:49 AM
  #979
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
There's a bit of a difference between including a late first round prospect in a trade for a 25 year old and including one in a trade for a 35 year old, no matter how good the latter is/was.

How likely is it that Laughton Ever even matches Ryans production?

Voracek-a good 2nd line, MAYBE first line playmaking winger with above average defensive play. Will probably never produce traditional "top line numbers". 60-70 ceiling, mostly assists.
Gustafsson-OK PMD prospect, with a 2nd pairing ceiling, but most likely a decent 3rd paring future. Undersized, not physical, not overly speedy, could potentially play in a 2nd unit PP role.
Laughton-A late first C prospect (which is a position of strength for us) who's ceiling or potential really remains to be seen. At Best he could pan out to be a less offensively talented Mike Richards. Perhaps a Rich Peverley type player. He's not overly offensively gifted, but is a hard worker and shows good leadership qualities, but realistically, his NHL potential is probably a 3rd line, MAYBE 2nd line checking center. And with Giroux, Couturier and Schenn running the C position on our team, potentially for the next ~7-8 years, we really have no use for him. He is probably more valuable to us as a trading chip than actually in the system. Because there is little to no chance that he develops into a better player than Giroux (no chance whatsoever) , Couturier (id be willing to bet that there's no chance) or Schenn (best chance but probably still not going to happen).
2013 1st-Whch will probably be a late 1st again. Which well probably use to draft another C prospect anyway...

orange is better is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
  #980
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
There's a bit of a difference between including a late first round prospect in a trade for a 25 year old and including one in a trade for a 35 year old, no matter how good the latter is/was.

How likely is it that Laughton Ever even matches Ryans production?

Voracek-a good 2nd line, MAYBE first line playmaking winger with above average defensive play. Will probably never produce traditional "top line numbers". 60-70 ceiling, mostly assists.
Gustafsson-OK PMD prospect, with a 2nd pairing ceiling, but most likely a decent 3rd paring future. Undersized, not physical, not overly speedy, could potentially play in a 2nd unit PP role.
Laughton-A late first C prospect (which is a position of strength for us) who's ceiling or potential really remains to be seen. At Best he could pan out to be a less offensively talented Mike Richards. Perhaps a Rich Peverley type player. He's not overly offensively gifted, but is a hard worker and shows good leadership qualities, but realistically, his NHL potential is probably a 3rd line, MAYBE 2nd line checking center. And with Giroux, Couturier and Schenn running the C position on our team, potentially for the next ~7-8 years, we really have no use for him. He is probably more valuable to us as a trading chip than actually in the system. Because there is little to no chance that he develops into a better player than Giroux (no chance whatsoever) , Couturier (id be willing to bet that there's no chance) or Schenn (best chance but probably still not going to happen).
2013 1st-Whch will probably be a late 1st again. Which well probably use to draft another C prospect anyway...
Move Schenn to the wing. Keep Laughton cause he's a soldier-type guy, like a young Lappy.Thos guy are useful. We don't need Bobby Ryan.

TheLegendkiller is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:04 AM
  #981
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Move Schenn to the wing. Keep Laughton cause he's a soldier-type guy, like a young Lappy.Thos guy are useful. We don't need Bobby Ryan.
Not as useful as Bobby Ryan.

Of course we don't need bobby Ryan but he makes us a better team, period.

orange is better is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:15 AM
  #982
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Not as useful as Bobby Ryan.

Of course we don't need bobby Ryan but he makes us a better team, period.
But not at the assets you suggested.

TheLegendkiller is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:17 AM
  #983
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
But not at the assets you suggested.
That's your opinion, and I respectfully disagree.

orange is better is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:41 AM
  #984
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Bobby Ryan takes shifts off. I'm a fan of him but this dramatic team improvement most people are thinking isn't going to happen.

Voracek may not be a goal scorer like Ryan but his puck possession game, creativity, and two-way ability makes up for it. He's a big body who can skate just like Ryan.

Alchemy is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:45 AM
  #985
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
That's your opinion, and I respectfully disagree.
same here, what makes anyone think that this team is better than the kings, bruins, rangers? they got more vets than the flyers, youth isnt going to beat those teams, they couldnt beat them last year, i dont understand how people think they are better now when you lose more players rather than upgrade at a position?

it's fustrating and upsetting, this is going to be the 06-07 season again.

if anyone ever followed the 06-07 season, then you would understand why im very concerned, fans should be concerned.

toughfighter83* is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:47 AM
  #986
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,291
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
same here, what makes anyone think that this team is better than the kings, bruins, rangers? they got more vets than the flyers, youth isnt going to beat those teams, they couldnt beat them last year, i dont understand how people think they are better now when you lose more players rather than upgrade at a position?

it's fustrating and upsetting, this is going to be the 06-07 season again.
Yeah, we should trade every single player. Or, we should get Nash. Nash will singlehandedly lift the team to success while every single other player is inexplicably sucking.

Seriously. Please, for ONCE, justify why you think next season will be a flaming disaster.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:48 AM
  #987
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,460
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
same here, what makes anyone think that this team is better than the kings, bruins, rangers? they got more vets than the flyers, youth isnt going to beat those teams, they couldnt beat them last year, i dont understand how people think they are better now when you lose more players rather than upgrade at a position?

it's fustrating and upsetting, this is going to be the 06-07 season again.
Coburn
Fedetenko
Hartnell
Briere
Timonen
Mez
Talbot
Grossmann

They aren't vets?

Alchemy is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:51 AM
  #988
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dry Island
Posts: 9,767
vCash: 163
It's gonna be the 06-07 season?

Did you eat paint chips when you were little?

El Dandy* is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:52 AM
  #989
orange is better
than other colors...
 
orange is better's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
same here, what makes anyone think that this team is better than the kings, bruins, rangers? they got more vets than the flyers, youth isnt going to beat those teams, they couldnt beat them last year, i dont understand how people think they are better now when you lose more players rather than upgrade at a position?

it's fustrating and upsetting, this is going to be the 06-07 season again.

if anyone ever followed the 06-07 season, then you would understand why im very concerned, fans should be concerned.
Yeah I'm not really sure what about anything I've said would lead you to this...

orange is better is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:53 AM
  #990
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail
 
35NW8ING's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
I'm usually rather negative according to some people here but wtf man, why over pay? Next year's free agent class had talent that better matches the dollars given out to these sub star players. Why pay a 6 mill a year play 8 mil when next year there will be multiple 8 mil a year players available.
You pay 8 mil for 6 mil players for two reasons, the market will sometimes dictate it, other times your needs dictate the price you pay. Briere is a perfect example of this.

35NW8ING is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:22 PM
  #991
toughfighter83*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
It's gonna be the 06-07 season?

Did you eat paint chips when you were little?
you are probably going to eat **** when the flyers dont make the playoffs.

toughfighter83* is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
  #992
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Oh come on. This guy has been trolling long enough now.

Spongolium* is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:34 PM
  #993
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,291
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
you are probably going to eat **** when the flyers dont make the playoffs.
Why aren't they going to make the playoffs? How do you figure there are 8 teams that are 100% better than the Flyers?

-NJ has lost Parise and several key players are getting even older.
-NYR has lost Fedotenko and Prust, and have generally gotten a little weaker this offseason.
-Boston just lost their all-star goalie and the guy replacing him is still an unknown quantity
-The Caps haven't done anything to replace Semin or really improve, if OV's decline continues they are in trouble. They still lack centers.
-TB has no goalie, their D corps is still lacking.

Which 8 teams are 100% better than the Flyers, and why? We've lost a bit with Carle, but have assembled an interesting platoon on defense. Team D overall has improved because we picked up Fedotenko and a couple defensive dmen. Our offense has lost Jagr, but we've picked up pieces that help mitigate that loss; on top of that, our younger guys haven't hit their ceiling yet but will continue moving towards it.

So, pray tell...what 8 teams do you expect are better than Philly at this point in time? Please give me a list of the teams who will be making the playoffs instead of the Flyers. This ought to be interesting.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:40 PM
  #994
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Bobby Ryan takes shifts off. I'm a fan of him but this dramatic team improvement most people are thinking isn't going to happen.

Voracek may not be a goal scorer like Ryan but his puck possession game, creativity, and two-way ability makes up for it. He's a big body who can skate just like Ryan.
Well he's clearly disgruntled with his organization, are you then surprised that he takes shifts off? So does Getzlaf.

sobrien is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
  #995
Flyerfan4life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Richmond BC, Canada
Country: England
Posts: 12,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
-TB has no goalie, their D corps is still lacking.

.
but but but... they just got the 5.5M$ man

Flyerfan4life is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:43 PM
  #996
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Why aren't they going to make the playoffs? How do you figure there are 8 teams that are 100% better than the Flyers?

-NJ has lost Parise and several key players are getting even older.
-NYR has lost Fedotenko and Prust, and have generally gotten a little weaker this offseason.
-Boston just lost their all-star goalie and the guy replacing him is still an unknown quantity
-The Caps haven't done anything to replace Semin or really improve, if OV's decline continues they are in trouble. They still lack centers.
-TB has no goalie, their D corps is still lacking.

Which 8 teams are 100% better than the Flyers, and why? We've lost a bit with Carle, but have assembled an interesting platoon on defense. Team D overall has improved because we picked up Fedotenko and a couple defensive dmen. Our offense has lost Jagr, but we've picked up pieces that help mitigate that loss; on top of that, our younger guys haven't hit their ceiling yet but will continue moving towards it.

So, pray tell...what 8 teams do you expect are better than Philly at this point in time? Please give me a list of the teams who will be making the playoffs instead of the Flyers. This ought to be interesting.

And Pittsburgh is worse on defense.

TheLegendkiller is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:47 PM
  #997
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori
 
Mkoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Finland
Posts: 728
vCash: 840
[QUOTE=Fish Invictus;52219783]Why aren't they going to make the playoffs? How do you figure there are 8 teams that are 100% better than the Flyers?

-NJ has lost Parise and several key players are getting even older.
-NYR has lost Fedotenko and Prust, and have generally gotten a little weaker this offseason.
-Boston just lost their all-star goalie and the guy replacing him is still an unknown quantity
-The Caps haven't done anything to replace Semin or really improve, if OV's decline continues they are in trouble. They still lack centers.
-TB has no goalie, their D corps is still lacking.
QUOTE]

While I do believe the Flyers will make the playoffs. I do think this breakdown is a bit flimsy.

NJ lost parise, that is true but "several key players" is rather vague.

Rangers lost Fedotenko and Prust. Ok, big deal? not really huge elite players there. "general gotten a little weaker" is also, a bit vague.

I wouldnt say Rask is unproven, definitely not as experienced as Thomas, but not unproven. He has enough games under his belt.

Caps, and Lightning I agree.

Mkoll is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:48 PM
  #998
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori
 
Mkoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: Finland
Posts: 728
vCash: 840
Sorry for "quote" failure, not sure why it isnt working here.

Mkoll is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:50 PM
  #999
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,625
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughfighter83 View Post
you are probably going to eat **** when the flyers dont make the playoffs.
go away.
or find another team to root for.
or both.

GoneFullHextall is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
  #1000
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,291
vCash: 156
[QUOTE=Mkoll;52220503]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
Why aren't they going to make the playoffs? How do you figure there are 8 teams that are 100% better than the Flyers?

-NJ has lost Parise and several key players are getting even older.
-NYR has lost Fedotenko and Prust, and have generally gotten a little weaker this offseason.
-Boston just lost their all-star goalie and the guy replacing him is still an unknown quantity
-The Caps haven't done anything to replace Semin or really improve, if OV's decline continues they are in trouble. They still lack centers.
-TB has no goalie, their D corps is still lacking.
QUOTE]

While I do believe the Flyers will make the playoffs. I do think this breakdown is a bit flimsy.

NJ lost parise, that is true but "several key players" is rather vague.

Rangers lost Fedotenko and Prust. Ok, big deal? not really huge elite players there. "general gotten a little weaker" is also, a bit vague.

I wouldnt say Rask is unproven, definitely not as experienced as Thomas, but not unproven. He has enough games under his belt.

Caps, and Lightning I agree.
I'm basing my opinion on the Rangers off what Rangers fans I know have told me. They think their team has gotten worse so far, and aren't pleased with this offseason. As for Rask, he has lots of games and one great season with 45 games played, but has yet to carry a starter's workload, so we'll have to see how that plays out.

Beef Invictus is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.