Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Kitchener Rangers 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 08:29 PM
EvenSteven

vCash: 500
I like the deal. Too bad it couldn't get done last January but whatever.

I liked Lorentz but in reality, he was expendable considering our left side now has Puempel, Thomson and Pederson. Add to that, 2012 draftees Schmalz, Llewellyn, and maybe Blasby will be here and while they are right wingers, Llewellyn shoots left so he may be put on the left side.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:36 PM
defensehockey19

As a Petes fan congrats on getting Pumps if he can return to form.. Your all in for a treat! I was wondering what can I expect out of Lorentz? What kind of numbers can I expect if he plays 2nd line and what kind of minutes did he play last year? (PP or PK?)

Thanks a lot everyone. Cheers.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:22 AM
EvenSteven

Lorentz had a good year last year playing on a line with Radek Faksa and Eric Ming. To be honest, Lorentz (and Ming) benefitted playing with Faksa and it showed in their numbers. The emergence of that line in the regular season was a huge reason why we finished so high in the standings last year when we weren't expected by many to be a playoff team with home-ice advantage.

But, during the playoffs, both Ming and Lorentz became invisible offensively and it finally caught up to us when we got swept by a London team that we were dominant over (4-1-1, I think) during the regular season. Injuries and lack of depth hurt too. Lorentz had 7 pts in 16 playoff games and was minus 9 yet scored 33pts in 66 games and was plus 11 during the regular season.

His play in the playoffs is what frustrated me. Every game I waited for him and his line to break out of their funk and they never did. On another thread, a poster said that Lorentz "didn't exactly like the weight room". If that is the case (conditioning), then that would explain his play in the playoffs where the Rangers played virtually every second night on average. You'll need stamina to keep your game up under those circumstances and he wasn't able to.

I'm expecting that if Lorentz can find his way open a line with a similar centerman to Faksa, he should be OK - at least during the regular season. And, he was great in the shootout. He'll put shootout wins on the board for you without a doubt!

Old
07-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Ward Cornell

Poached this from another board about Trouba....

http://www.michigandaily.com/blog/ho...n-michigan-ohl

Interesting.......VERY INTERESTING!!
Seems like damage control is full mode!

Hopefully true also!!

Old
07-03-2012, 10:12 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Trouba sounded very committed to Michigan at the draft. I wonder if 200k is enough to change his mind.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:39 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Trouba sounded very committed to Michigan at the draft. I wonder if 200k is enough to change his mind.
That's all speculation. Kitchener is a community run team, hiding 200K would be pretty much impossible. If Trouba comes to the OHL look at it from an NHL standpoint. If the Jets want to sign he loses his NCAA eligibility which makes a stronger case for him to come over.

Old
07-03-2012, 12:01 PM
BenchedGuy

I dont see how he would get $200,000 as a signing bonus or whatever. I can see that being the value of one or a combination of a few things. I would imagine that a top (gold?) education package would have been offered. You add that with other perks and it could add up to that. But the article makes it sound like Kitchener is offering cash, which I cant see being the case.

Anyways, great to hear that there is still the possibility of him coming here. Would put our D over the top IMO with Trouba, Murphy(if returning), Iafrate, Fanelli, McEneny...etc. What people need to remember though, it would still be his decision on whether he wants to sign with the Jets and pass on the Michigan route.

I see it more of damage control and PR on the Universities behalf, however the info got passed on, in case he does sign and come to Kitchener.

Last edited by BenchedGuy: 07-03-2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: last paragraph
Old
07-03-2012, 04:16 PM
ness180

The Trouba family decided to squash the rumor directly before it got any bigger.

From the University of Michigan's hockey twitter page:
Quote:
Statement from the Trouba family:
“There is absolutely no truth or merit to the recent media reports that the Kitchener Rangers have offered Jacob any remuneration. We have the utmost respect for the Kitchener Rangers and those that choose the CHL as an option but Jacob will be attending the University of Michigan next fall as a student athlete.”
Link: http://twitter.com/#!/umichhockey

Old
07-03-2012, 06:18 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

I'd love to know how the Rangers could hide $200,000 in the financials. $50,000, maybe could be done.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:08 PM
NHL Fanatic

I feel he will be coming Kitchener if not this season maybe next.

Old
07-03-2012, 07:43 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
I feel he will be coming Kitchener if not this season maybe next.
I think the only way we see him this year is if he flunks out, or the Jets sign him. Next season is a better bet.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:17 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
It makes no financial sense for Kitchener to throw $200K at Trouba. At most, he's a 2-year Ranger. Development fees from the NHL are $75K per year for a first rounder. The Rangers aren't going to go in the hole by $50K (or more, if Trouba is a 1-year Ranger) just to get him to report. It just doesn't add up.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:50 PM
jughead42

I'm totally disgusted and appalled! As a fan of a team who would never stoop so low, I hope the OHL police are going to so something about this travesty to the game. How are the small market teams supposed to compete? Shame on you if this is true. Rabble rabble rabble!!!

Old
07-04-2012, 01:07 AM
NHL Fanatic

As per Sunaya Sapurji Kitchener Rangers CEO & President Steve Bienkowski is irate and the team will be pursuing legal action against The Michigan Daily for the Jacob Trouba report.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/kitc...-reports-.html

Old
07-04-2012, 09:07 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
As per Sunaya Sapurji Kitchener Rangers CEO & President Steve Bienkowski is irate and the team will be pursuing legal action against The Michigan Daily for the Jacob Trouba report.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/kitc...-reports-.html
I think its good to find out these "sources" if they are credible or if this student writer is just pulling stuff for thin air to help the school with PR. But as we remember with ND and Jeff Jackson, Kitchener didnt really follow through with the last legal action event to my knowledge.

I think (hoping) we will see Trouba here but I agree with the opinions that it may not be this year. If its next year then he can at least say he stuck to his word and tried it out at Michigan but it didnt work.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Crottenham

My question is why does the OHL have this rule not permitting payments anyway?

If you're going to be a feeder system to pro hockey, and tout you are the best development league in the world and you are in business to make money why not go all in?!?

Old
07-04-2012, 11:40 PM
EvenSteven

Bottom line here is that once again, the fantasy that CHL teams offer six figures to players to get them to report is part of the NCAA's many strategies to have prospective players perhaps turn their backs on the CHL, because this money doesn't exist, they are led to believe it does and then they'll want their big offer too or they aren't coming.

"Hey CHL team, Kitchener offered the Trouba camp $200,000 to report, where's my $200,000 for my kid to report to your team."

If CHL teams were tossing around six figure signing bonuses, it would get out one way or another - but it isn't getting out because it isn't happening.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:43 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
My question is why does the OHL have this rule not permitting payments anyway?

If you're going to be a feeder system to pro hockey, and tout you are the best development league in the world and you are in business to make money why not go all in?!?
...because, the "have" teams would be able to offer the type of incentives that the "have-not" teams couldn't.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:15 AM
Racer14
Always Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
Bottom line here is that once again, the fantasy that CHL teams offer six figures to players to get them to report is part of the NCAA's many strategies to have prospective players perhaps turn their backs on the CHL, because this money doesn't exist, they are led to believe it does and then they'll want their big offer too or they aren't coming.

"Hey CHL team, Kitchener offered the Trouba camp $200,000 to report, where's my $200,000 for my kid to report to your team."

If CHL teams were tossing around six figure signing bonuses, it would get out one way or another - but it isn't getting out because it isn't happening.
It is happening. I know this for fact. I am not sure wrt to this situation what the deal is. But I do know that these types of bonuses have been handed out by other OHL teams.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:00 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer14 View Post
It is happening. I know this for fact. I am not sure wrt to this situation what the deal is. But I do know that these types of bonuses have been handed out by other OHL teams.
Kitchener is a community run team and the books are open.

Would be interested to know "It is happening. I know this for fact."

Old
07-06-2012, 06:51 PM
overtheboards

Any chance that John Owen Stewart making the team ??

Old
07-09-2012, 08:29 AM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtheboards View Post
Any chance that John Owen Stewart making the team ??
The way the roster looks right now....no, don't see it happening at all. But with that said, I still expect there to be changes made. We have 2 OA spots (at least) to fill which will come via trade. So it all depends on what is moved out to bring in, but even then I dont see it. He will have to be stellar in camp to get a look.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
Kitchener is a community run team and the books are open.

Would be interested to know "It is happening. I know this for fact."

Where can one review the financial statements for this team?

Old
07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
They will be released publically for the past year during the Annual General Meeting for the season ticket holders in the 3rd+/- week of August.
I believe they can be viewed via the Rangers home page.

Old
07-09-2012, 02:41 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
They will be released publically for the past year during the Annual General Meeting for the season ticket holders in the 3rd+/- week of August.
I believe they can be viewed via the Rangers home page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham
And if you are interested and a STH, there is still time to apply to be a Candidate for Election to the Board of Directors. Applications need to be in by Friday at noon.

Closed Thread