HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Al Montoya signs with Jets (1 year, $601k)

Old
07-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Le Golie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Mason was awful for each of the last two seasons. The fact that he was offered more money doesn't make him a better player.

Montoya had a .921 save percentage in 2010-11 and was rolling with a .917 save percentage last year before Evander Kane gave him brain damage. ...unless you think Montoya was propped up by an elite NYI defense, you can't really make a case that he is worse than Chris Mason.
I've probably watched every one of Montoya's games over the last two years. There is a reason why he's never broken into the NHL and there is a reason why we got him for $600,000. He's a borderline NHL goalie and he's brutally inconsistent. Game to game, period to period and shot to shot. He gets lost a lot out there, not even knowing where the puck is or who has it, and not battling hard enough to try and find it. He's not a very athletic goalie and he's not going to magically turn into one.

And I strongly disagree with your assertion that salary means nothing. It's a fact that multiple teams, professional hockey ops people, competed to acquire Mason's services. There is no evidence whatsoever that any other team competed with the Jets to sign Montoya.

If you think Mason was bad, I dont think you'll be too happy if Montoya makes the Jets. We know for a fact Chevaldayoff and Poile think Mason is a better backup than Montoya.

I don't mean to be ragging on the guy here, it's best for all of us if he turns into a reliable NHL'er. He's just not a guy I am unfamiliar with and I don't see him being a long term full time NHL player.

I get what the Jets did here and I don't mind the move. Low risk, stop gap and the salary is so low he can go to the Ice Caps if something better presents itself.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:33 PM
hockey-brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
I've probably watched every one of Montoya's games over the last two years. There is a reason why he's never broken into the NHL and there is a reason why we got him for $600,000. He's a borderline NHL goalie and he's brutally inconsistent. Game to game, period to period and shot to shot. He gets lost a lot out there, not even knowing where the puck is or who has it, and not battling hard enough to try and find it. He's not a very athletic goalie and he's not going to magically turn into one.

And I strongly disagree with your assertion that salary means nothing. It's a fact that multiple teams, professional hockey ops people, competed to acquire Mason's services. There is no evidence whatsoever that any other team competed with the Jets to sign Montoya.

If you think Mason was bad, I dont think you'll be too happy if Montoya makes the Jets. We know for a fact Chevaldayoff and Poile think Mason is a better backup than Montoya.

I don't mean to be ragging on the guy here, it's best for all of us if he turns into a reliable NHL'er. He's just not a guy I am unfamiliar with and I don't see him being a long term full time NHL player.

I get what the Jets did here and I don't mind the move. Low risk, stop gap and the salary is so low he can go to the Ice Caps if something better presents itself.
Don't these two points contradict one another?

Mason stunk most times when he got in there. Change is welcome, especially when younger and cheaper. We'll see what sort of magic Wade can provide to Al's game.

hockey-brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey-brent View Post
Don't these two points contradict one another?
Not unfamiliar with = familiar with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Litotes

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:37 PM
hockey-brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

Is this the introduction to the opposties? Good ol' You Can't Do That On Television...

Old
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
hockey-brent

Quote:

Oops, misread, sorry.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
You are always looking for an improvement, but there is really not options out there right now. Pasquale is nowhere near ready, and the only UFA options left are raw rookies/AHL veterans or a terrible options like Dan Ellis. Montoya will be fine for 15-20 starts, IMO, kinda like a Jason Labarbera (dominate AHLer, below average NHL backup). Not the best situation, but not a terrible one either.

The real issue is that the Jets need ALOT more consistency from the main guy Pavelec, I am much more concerned about that then Montoya as the backup.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey-brent View Post
Is this the introduction to the opposties? Good ol' You Can't Do That On Television...
Nice obscure reference!

I think the majority of that show's subject matter flew over my then 5 year old head. Can still remember the theme song though.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:45 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:

Way I look at it:
Pavs = athletic with great potential but brutally inconsistent
Montoya = decent positioning with some potential but brutally inconsistent
Mason = decent positioning with no potential and brutally consistent with poor play

Also, I'm also a goalie who has watched most-to-all of their games.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Jet

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nice obscure reference!

I think the majority of that show's subject matter flew over my then 5 year old head. Can still remember the theme song though.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:54 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:

Sounds like Pavs better get ready to play 82

TCsmyth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
You are always looking for an improvement, but there is really not options out there right now. Pasquale is nowhere near ready, and the only UFA options left are raw rookies/AHL veterans or a terrible options like Dan Ellis. Montoya will be fine for 15-20 starts, IMO, kinda like a Jason Labarbera (dominate AHLer, below average NHL backup). Not the best situation, but not a terrible one either.
Free agency options have dried up for sure. And Pasquale is definitely not ready. The Jets might luck into another goalie through waivers though, there are always a few decent goalies that teams try and sneak through waivers when cuts start getting made.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:18 AM
MadMen88

This guy has been playing goal for the New York Islanders and Phoenix (when they sucked). To say he isn't going to "push" Pavelec is to either give Pavelec way too much invincibility power (the mighty cannot fall), or, to simply not look at where Al Montoya has been a.k.a. World Junior Gold Medalist, 1st round draft pick, and increasingly getting more playing time in the N.H.L...this is a great moment for the Jets!!! I think we have two absolute future gems between the pipes...I do think Pavelec will be Pavelec next year (be outstanding and play the majority of games), but I do think we have a far more trustworthy backup in Montoya to play closer to 25 games than we did in Mason. Feels good to be talking Jets hockey again.

MadMen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:26 AM
MadMen88

21-17 career in the N.H.L. and a SV% of .906...with the Islanders and Yotes...solid numbers in the A.H.L too. This is an absolute steal. Pavelec played 68 games last year and looked a bit fatigued near the end of the season...I think Montoya will get over 20 starts next year...

MadMen88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:

Wow, jesus. I had to read that sentence about five times.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMen88 View Post
21-17 career in the N.H.L. and a SV% of .906...with the Islanders and Yotes...solid numbers in the A.H.L too. This is an absolute steal. Pavelec played 68 games last year and looked a bit fatigued near the end of the season...I think Montoya will get over 20 starts next year...
It's not a coincidence that he hasn't played many NHL games. When the Isles picked him up from the Coyotes he was splitting time with Matt Climie in the AHL. The goalies ahead of him on the Coyotes depth chart were Bryzgalov, Labarbara and Climie.

The Islanders did not offer him a contract this year because with Kevin Poulin and Anders Nillson, they don't have room for him. Ever heard of Poulin or Nillson? Judging by the salary he got from the Jets, it sure doesn't look like any other NHL team offered him a one way contract either.

He's 27 years old. He's had six seasons of pro hockey since he finished his college career. I wouldn't get too excited.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandChelems View Post
Wow, jesus. I had to read that sentence about five times.
I realize I'm probably one of ten people in Winnipeg who was an Islander fan when the Jets were gone. I still watch all their games.

Sucker for punishment, no doubt.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
BigZ65

vCash: 350
We signed Mark Dekanich too. Great AHL goalie coming off a very serious high ankle sprain. Montoya insurance. Pretty happy with our goaltending setup going into 12-13: clear #1, 2 clear backups and a goalie of the future.

BigZ65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
GrandChelems

vCash: 2209
Quote:
I realize I'm probably one of ten people in Winnipeg who was an Islander fan when the Jets were gone. I still watch all their games.

Sucker for punishment, no doubt.
Nah, well, hey, respect. You made it through the 'Captain Highliner" years!

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote