HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

TJ Galiardi files for arbiration; avoids hearing, re-signed (post #88); $950k

Old
07-05-2012, 11:39 PM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokers Gonna Choke View Post
Is it safe to say that DW just isn't a very good GM?
No. Results-based, he's very good. It is just this one part of managing, getting bottom-line players, has been a bad spot. Even the players he gets, they don't fit.

Criticizing the team for speed because they are unproductive is one thing. But this team produces. Thornton isn't fast but he produces. Same with Pavelski, Couture, etc. Clowe does not produce as much, so I think he should be traded.

I'm not like Vaasa or some other prospect-lover who thinks that you don't need star players, that draft picks and youth are king, and that 27 is too old. But depth is important, it is relatively easy to acquire (especially with the way the Sharks are spending), and yet, they don't seem to do it (properly)!

The team can't seem to identify what it wants. Every year, this team applauds the acquisitions of Malhotra, Nichol, Grier, Handzus, but they continue to disappoint (especially in the playoffs).

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokers Gonna Choke View Post
Is it safe to say that DW just isn't a very good GM?
His owners like what/how he's doing. So by that definition, no.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:42 AM
wtfisthis

DW probably doesn't even know what he kind of team he's building. Every year, he's trying to copying other successful teams and now the team has no direction and is in a jumbled up mess.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:46 AM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfisthis View Post
DW probably doesn't even know what he kind of team he's building. Every year, he's trying to copying other successful teams and now the team has no direction and is in a jumbled up mess.
we obviously were trying to copy detroit. detroit has managed to suck more than we have the past 3 years. now detroit is really screwed. i guess that doesn't bode well for us either.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:46 AM
vilpertti

I just have to wonder why all the emo over this.

Arbitration guarantees he's under contract by the start of the season. And someone who scored 15 points and played around 13 minutes a game is not going to get a big raise from this.

vilpertti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:07 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilpertti View Post
I just have to wonder why all the emo over this.

Arbitration guarantees he's under contract by the start of the season. And someone who scored 15 points and played around 13 minutes a game is not going to get a big raise from this.
It's possible that he was asked to take the team to arbitration for the purposes of buying Handzus out. Hey, I can dream.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:30 AM
Hold the Pickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
It's possible that he was asked to take the team to arbitration for the purposes of buying Handzus out. Hey, I can dream.
Im not sure how likely it is, but that was my first thought.

Hold the Pickles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Well if that's truly the case I suddenly like TJ alot more.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:45 AM
Hertl Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way and if I did, I apologize! I really want to be able to lurk this forum without feeling like an enemy
Posting information that is useful to the conversation should never make people think you are an enemy. Feel free to lurk or post here. This is a good place for any fan base to talk about the sharks. As long as you are civil and not trying to rag on us posters, the players (unless they are in the fans doghouse, IE Handzus and Sheppard), and the team feel free to post here) when you want to talk or find out more about the team

Hertl Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 08:02 AM
KirbyDots

Sheriff Officer TJ "Show me the money" Galiardi Hooker.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
I know Handzus is a bit of a whipping boy and didn't have the best year... but why would we want to buy him out? It would just make our already thin bottom 6 even more thin

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
I know Handzus is a bit of a whipping boy and didn't have the best year... but why would we want to buy him out? It would just make our already thin bottom 6 even more thin
Because Handzus not bought out is a 2.5M caphit for this year. Buying him out is a total caphit of 833K for two years.

The only way they could sign a player for ~1.66M (2.5-.833) that would be less effective than Handzus is if they signed me.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:30 AM
foppagirl21

Alright, thanks for the kind words, everyone! You all are easily the most relaxed and friendly fan base. Trust me, you all will be seeing more of me. I am making it a goal to follow this team much closer than I had in the past. FYI, I have this deep down liking of the Sharks because my first ever NHL game that I attended was the Sharks v Avs in 1996 (or '97). Those teal jerseys...

So yeah, Galiardi is awesome. You all will honestly love him. He is a goof and when on his game, a menace. Give it time, but before you know it Gali will be a fan favorite. Let me just say I was thrilled when I heard he went to SJ.

Oh yeah, and how about that Handzus guy... Do you all really think the team will buy him out? That would floor me. He isn't that bad. Could the Sharks afford to lose him on the bottom six, especially now that Winnik does not appear to be returning?

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:35 AM
HOOCH2173
That HOOCH is Crazy!

vCash: 516
Quote:

Oh yeah, and how about that Handzus guy... Do you all really think the team will buy him out? That would floor me. He isn't that bad. Could the Sharks afford to lose him on the bottom six, especially now that Winnik does not appear to be returning?
Funny thing about Handguns, my buddy (the LA King fan) said that it's the system in SJ that is making him suck, since he was good in the LA system (pre Sutter of course). I tried to argue with him that no, he just plain sucks! But he kept defending him till no end! I said ok then take him back.

And he said um no way dude!

Ha I was right!

HOOCH2173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:38 AM
dwood16

Quote:
Alright, thanks for the kind words, everyone! You all are easily the most relaxed and friendly fan base. Trust me, you all will be seeing more of me. I am making it a goal to follow this team much closer than I had in the past. FYI, I have this deep down liking of the Sharks because my first ever NHL game that I attended was the Sharks v Avs in 1996 (or '97). Those teal jerseys...

So yeah, Galiardi is awesome. You all will honestly love him. He is a goof and when on his game, a menace. Give it time, but before you know it Gali will be a fan favorite. Let me just say I was thrilled when I heard he went to SJ.

You are right, he isn't that bad. He's worse!

We can't afford to not lose him.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:43 AM
Dicdonya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Our top-6 is great on paper talent-wise but not in practice. Four of our top-6 players are slow, and only one is gritty and physical.

We have a good team but it's just not built right.
This is a little off base KM. Seeing as we have had the second best production from our top six since the end of the lockout, only vancouver having higher PPG over that span, our top six is not just "good on paper" they have also backed it up on the ice.

I know that everyone wants to blame speed and grit, and thats fine, but you cant say that our top six do not produce at a very steady and amazing pace, year in and year out, with new pieces and old pieces being switched in every year to that top six.

Our bottom six is where we very rarely have ever had any scoring threats, and obviously the most easily remembered case is when Pavs was on the third line. Which is why so many clamour to have him back down there.

Our bottom six is what is holding us back. you need full team effort in the playoffs, you cant just ride the top six and make it to the cup. This year, even though the kopitar, brown, williams line was tearing up most games, King and Lewis had huge goals for their team, and I think at one point (could be very wrong)King was actually tied for the goals lead on the team in the playoffs. When can that be said for any of our bottom six guys in a deep playoff run. A few of our top six always show up each playoff series on the scoreboard, the same is rarely the case for the bottom six.

We really need some offensive pop from our bottom six, hopefully gali gets a reasonable contract and can regain his form from a couple years ago and help with bottom six scoring.

Dicdonya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:51 AM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 View Post
Funny thing about Handguns, my buddy (the LA King fan) said that it's the system in SJ that is making him suck, since he was good in the LA system (pre Sutter of course). I tried to argue with him that no, he just plain sucks! But he kept defending him till no end! I said ok then take him back.

And he said um no way dude!

Ha I was right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
You are right, he isn't that bad. He's worse!

We can't afford to not lose him.
Haha, point taken! So how would you all want to replace his hole in the line-up if bought out? Via trade or call-up?

Old
07-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Arrch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Haha, point taken! So how would you all want to replace his hole in the line-up if bought out? Via trade or call-up?
Bottom-6 would be a combination of Wingels, Desjardins, Galiardi, Sheppard, Burish and his replacement. If we sign a top-6 Winger, Pavs would be dropped down to center a third line, otherwise, we can look at a 3rd line winger.

Arrch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Most likely answer is re-signing Dom Moore. Otherwise let a kid earn it out of camp. If we have to go into the season with Desjardins as the #3C, in our worst case scenario, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
do0glas

Kurz in his live blog had said Moore probably wouldn't be playing hockey this year due to his wife.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Most likely answer is re-signing Dom Moore. Otherwise let a kid earn it out of camp. If we have to go into the season with Desjardins as the #3C, in our worst case scenario, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Is Moore going to play next season? Sounds like he's going to have some serious issues to contend with for the foreseeable future.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
Kurz in his live blog had said Moore probably wouldn't be playing hockey this year due to his wife.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
Is Moore going to play next season? Sounds like he's going to have some serious issues to contend with for the foreseeable future.
Never mind. I didn't read that because I don't read Kurz on principle.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:

Hey you can have him. Just give us Downie.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:29 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Hey you can have him. Just give us Downie.
I sure do have a counter offer one cannot resist- Chuck "I play hockey" Kobasew. You know you want him... he'll show up and... umm... keep a spot on the bench nice 'n warm...

So with the very upsetting news that it appears Moore will not be returning to the NHL next season to be with his wife, would it be safe to say that the Sharks need to sign/trade for an individual to fill out the bottom-six? Or am I now confusing myself and thinking that the hole that will be created in the bottom half of offense is the hypothetical space that would be empty if Handzus was bought out?

Old
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
So with the very upsetting news that it appears Moore will not be returning to the NHL next season to be with his wife, would it be safe to say that the Sharks need to sign/trade for an individual to fill out the bottom-six? Or am I now confusing myself and thinking that the hole that will be created in the bottom half of offense is the hypothetical space that would be empty if Handzus was bought out?
Right now, the Sharks bottom six looks something like this:

XXX-XXX-Wingels
Burish-Desjardins-XXX

I expect Galiardi to take that last 4th line spot. So we're out two third-liners. I'm sure the kids (Hamilton, Hertl, Oleksuk, Stalberg, and Sheppard) will be given every shot to try and earn it, as Wingels did out of camp last season. If not, I see Clowe potentially traded for a downgrade in the top-6 + a good third liner.