HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

What Now?

Old
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
CalebWhitley

vCash: 500
What Now?

Where do the Predators go from here? Who replaces Suter? Is there a top 6 forward in our plans? We need to look forward to something positive in these dark days (Damn Suter)

CalebWhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Long-term, Josi is Suter's replacement. Short term, trade for someone (JBo for Ellis+) to either play next to Weber or solidify the 2nd pairing.

As for forwards, my plan is to sign Semin (3 years, 6-6.5 per), then trade for Bobby Ryan (Hornqvist+Blum+prospet/pick). Those two would really, really help out our top 6.

Poile claims we're a cap team. I say prove it.

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Alexander Semin ($6.500m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Bobby Ryan ($5.100m)
Sergei Kostitsyn ($3.500m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Martin Erat ($4.500m)
Gabriel Bourque ($0.618m) / Craig Smith ($0.900m) / Colin Wilson ($1.500m)
Nick Spaling ($1.050m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.250m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.713m)
Brandon Yip ($0.750m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.500m) / Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m)
Kevin Klein ($1.350m) / Roman Josi ($1.000m)
Hal Gill ($2.000m) / Ryan Ellis ($1.440m)
Veteran UFA ($1.000m) /
GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m)
Chris Mason ($1.250m)
BUYOUTS
J.P. Dumont ($1.333m) / Brett Lebda ($0.467m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,700,833; BONUSES: $885,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,499,167

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:50 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Long-term, Josi is Suter's replacement. Short term, trade for someone (JBo for Ellis+) to either play next to Weber or solidify the 2nd pairing.

As for forwards, my plan is to sign Semin (3 years, 6-6.5 per), then trade for Bobby Ryan (Hornqvist+Blum+prospet/pick). Those two would really, really help out our top 6.

Poile claims we're a cap team. I say prove it.
I'd like to think you're right, but what I think will happen:

1. DP will sign someone like Mark Eaton or some other cheap scrub to shore up the defense.

2. Then we'll sign our yearly shot in the dark forward - maybe a Mueller or an Eric Fehr or Wellwood or some other of the type.

3. DP will talk about how he likes our youngsters and wants to see what so and so prospect can do in training camp and the like, and how they're well prepared to make additions to the roster with all the flexibility we have and yak yak yak.

4. We will have a cap floor team.

5. Despite all logic that says otherwise, I don't think DP has the cojones to trade Weber, and despite all the talk of spending this and being a near-cap team, I'm skeptical of the willingness of the Preds to actually offer a gigantic contract to anyone. (Why Suter didn't have a 13yr 90 mil contract on his desk on January 1st, why it took some other team to set the market, I've no idea). So I think we'll go into the season with Weber, and if we're in playoff contention at midseason we'll play it out, and if not he'll be shipped off at the deadline.

That's what I think will happen.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Sign Weber. That's it.

Worry about everything else later.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

If we re-sign Weber then things will fall into place. If we don't, then we're a team in limbo without the identity that brought us here. Two very different scenarios, all hinging on what we get from Weber before all else.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:03 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Maybe rename Nashville? Keep Shea in Nasheaville.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post

1. DP will sign someone like Mark Eaton or some other cheap scrub to shore up the defense.

2. Then we'll sign our yearly shot in the dark forward - maybe a Mueller or an Eric Fehr or Wellwood or some other of the type.

3. DP will talk about how he likes our youngsters and wants to see what so and so prospect can do in training camp and the like, and how they're well prepared to make additions to the roster with all the flexibility we have and yak yak yak.

5. Despite all logic that says otherwise, I don't think DP has the cojones to trade Weber, and despite all the talk of spending this and being a near-cap team, I'm skeptical of the willingness of the Preds to actually offer a gigantic contract to anyone. (Why Suter didn't have a 13yr 90 mil contract on his desk on January 1st, why it took some other team to set the market, I've no idea). So I think we'll go into the season with Weber, and if we're in playoff contention at midseason we'll play it out, and if not he'll be shipped off at the deadline.

What I think will happen too.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
weeze

I am very concerned! I am not hearing or reading that Nashville is a potential location for any of the UFA's or RFA's or trades! What is up with that! Semin appears to be looking at DRW or NJD, Ryan has DRW TMP PF and PP chasing him. I don't see us matching any of those teams offers. What/who are the other prospects that Nashville realistically have a shot at getting here? Anyone... anyone... please anyone...

weeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
I am very concerned! I am not hearing or reading that Nashville is a potential location for any of the UFA's or RFA's or trades! What is up with that! Semin appears to be looking at DRW or NJD, Ryan has DRW TMP PF and PP chasing him. I don't see us matching any of those teams offers. What/who are the other prospects that Nashville realistically have a shot at getting here? Anyone... anyone... please anyone...
Nashville never gets mentioned by rumor mongers. They want site hits, so everyone is going to Toronto, Pitt, Philly, or Vancouver. We aren't done yet.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Nashville never gets mentioned by rumor mongers. They want site hits, so everyone is going to Toronto, Pitt, Philly, or Vancouver. We aren't done yet.
You say Nashville is never mentioned... When has this Ownership brought in a BIG fish to Nashville? The previous owner (whom I dispise) did bring in Forsberg and Karyia. I don't count Lombardi because he played what less than 2 games before being concussed and then traded (which then he miraculously was healed).

I love this team! They have become my 1b team, with UK basketball being 1a. So I am all in for the Preds. I think we have some young players ready to step up and perform, but I also think we have to have some better firepower up front!

Old
07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze View Post
You say Nashville is never mentioned... When has this Ownership brought in a BIG fish to Nashville? The previous owner (whom I dispise) did bring in Forsberg and Karyia. I don't count Lombardi because he played what less than 2 games before being concussed and then traded (which then he miraculously was healed).

I love this team! They have become my 1b team, with UK basketball being 1a. So I am all in for the Preds. I think we have some young players ready to step up and perform, but I also think we have to have some better firepower up front!
I'm not disagreeing that they need to be more aggressive, I'm just saying rumor mongers aren't going to mention us almost no matter what.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:25 PM
weeze

Sorry, didn't mean to bite your head off or something. I agree with what you said, and that is what bothers me too! We are one of a few teams to make the playoffs 7 of the last 8 yrs and we are hardly mentioned as a team for the good players to go to. I know we have had our reasons but if Ownership is serious about winning and bringing the Cup to Smashville then they had better start ponying up some cash for more/better big boys. We have been close, all we need is 1 or 2 pieces to become consistent contenders.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:58 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post

That's probably exactly what will happen

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:21 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Found it interesting that as of right now we have the lowest payroll in the NHL

ChesterCopperpot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:31 PM
pekkaslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Also probably the least amount of players under contract.

pekkaslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:05 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Maybe rename Nashville? Keep Shea in Nasheaville.
No, get Nash from Columbus. Tell him that they will name the town for him!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:13 PM
thecloser

sign Kubina to shore up the defense

then trade for big name (i.e Ryan) and sign Semin.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
We're the Panthers of last year's free agency. Without anyone impressive to sign, and a week into the process.

Old
07-07-2012, 01:44 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
sign Kubina to shore up the defense

then trade for big name (i.e Ryan) and sign Semin.
I would love for Ryan to be here. Always wanted him to be, but it's not that easy. I love Poile but he's 99% likely to not be ballsy enough for a move to get him or anyone of his caliber. It'll require quite a bit of young players moving, including a Ellis or Josi or whatever, and with the departure of Suter we aren't chomping at the bit to trade anyone that could help ease the blow of losing him. Would Kubina help? Yes, and I'd like to sign him but I'm sure plenty of others are trying as well.

As for Semin, seriously doubt he comes here. Most skilled players don't want any part of voluntarily signing in Nashville.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:08 PM
ilikeblocks

I really would love to see Mueller in a Preds uni - low risk, high reward.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:35 PM
alexmanu

Mueller would be a great addition I think. If he can stay healthy that is.... Wouldn't be a good move but I would prefer to go for the likes of Semin or Doan.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
thecloser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
I really would love to see Mueller in a Preds uni - low risk, high reward.
this high risk. he's always hurt. I'd rather put money into other guys.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:11 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Well first thing is to not expect to trade weber for a cart full of top talent then expect to land Ryan for a deal of Horns and Blum and a pick or prospect not unless you are expecting a return like that for Weber. Next is to just step back realize this is a business and there are no longer alegiences between players and teams and so on anymore not since Gretz got traded to LA. You no longer see guys stay and play an entire career with one team say for maybe Marty in NJ. A team will ship a guy out for the right deal no matter who he is how good he is or if he is the face of the franchise and players are the same way. Start cheering for the crest on the front of the jersey and worry less about the one sewn on the back as it changes often unlike the one on the front.

Last edited by 29dryden29: 07-07-2012 at 05:23 PM.
29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:29 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Weber is arguably the best defenseman in the world. Ryan is not arguably the best winger in the world, let alone the best forward. Anaheim also has different needs. Comparing potential returns for the two isn't really fair.

With that said, Blum and Hornqvist won't get us Bobby Ryan.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 04:19 PM
weeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Sign Weber. That's it.

Worry about everything else later.
I AGREE! Sign Weber, and then as the saying goes "they will come". I do think we have some very good young talent, BUT we have to bring in a few better players to get us over the top!

Not sure I would bring back SK74 if I can sign a Semin, Doan or Ryan. Would consider trading Horny, Blum, Spaling, Bourque or Halischuck (or multiples) to get a top 6!

We just can't sit on our hands for the next 2 months and do nothing, especially if we want to continue to improve our team.