HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy Part VII: It's Still Only July Edition

View Poll Results: What should the Rangers do with their two 2013 3rd round picks?
Trade both picks 15 36.59%
Trade one pick, but keep the other 10 24.39%
Hang on to both picks 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
MadHookUp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
See, the problem here is you are taking conversations about specific posts and twisting it around. My post about the "two narrow scenarios" was a reply to the first quoted post.

The last post you quoted me on was out of context too. It was from the very beginning of the Weber discussion and guys were completely assuming that Staal will bolt in a short 4 years and at the same time completely assuming that Weber will re-sign with us if we trade for him. I just offered a completely different outcome to the same set of circumstances. Bringing that quote in now isn't the same as it was then, completely out of context.
That first quoted post wasnt me, yet addressed to me. And you claiming that Blueshirt Believer isnt aware that Weber can test free agency is just silly. And the 2nd quote is not out of context because no single person suggested trading Staal as a rental piece for Weber. That is something you manifested in your head.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:57 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I have said this many times ... at SOME POINT this needs to break and he needs to just take the best deal and move on.
Yup. But like you say, SOME POINT could be December. The draft is over and his team isn't going anywhere. There's really not much harm in him waiting.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:59 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I have said this many times ... at SOME POINT this needs to break and he needs to just take the best deal and move on.
I just don't understand his line of thinking.

It's been over 6 months and no one is caving into his demands. Part of negotiations is of course asking for the moon first, but then coming down to realistic prices. Every report says every GM interested in Nash is saying the price is way too high. This is not Sidney Crosby where talking about, it's Rick Nash.

Homerun deal? As in what? Stepan, McDonagh, Miller, 1st? Please.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yup. But like you say, SOME POINT could be December. The draft is over and his team isn't going anywhere. There's really not much harm in him waiting.
Internally there is, keeping Nash around is holding them back from moving forward. Same with the fans, they want to know what's next and right now they're stuck in limbo.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:01 PM
MadHookUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
I feel that 1/2 are most logical/realistic scenarios. Some people don't understand that the new CBA could limit contract years. Weber can get a 10+ year contract now, but might only be allowed 6 years under the new CBA.

Weber could be losing between 10-20 million dollars if he waits.
That is a really good point, and probably the case. But I really think Weber is going to want to be traded and sign an extension with someone else. The fact that he turned down a long term contract last year is telling. And now that Suter has jumped ship, he has more reason to leave. I know I would want to bolt if I were in his shoes.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...-and-rick-nash

Howson is not getting the home run from Sather.
It seems obvious that nothing will give right now with what's being offered.

IE, Slats won't raise his offer and I don't understand why Howson would lower his just because its July 6. Then he might as well wait till after the CBA is in place so that teams know the rules and can take bigger risks potentially, or atleast maybe in some cases.

But another alternative is of course a 3-way deal. I personally think we are offering really good prospects and players, that might be alot undervalued right now to be honest. Brandon Dubinsky has been a 1st line player multiple times on teams that has made the PO's. He is physical and a good character guy in terms of creating a no-nonsense atmosphere in a club. I guess that you could say alot about him, but he is devoted to winning. Tim Erixon is a rellly good prospect. Anything else than defense from blueliners isn't really acknowledged in NY, but for a kid who definitely wasn't ready physically I think that he displayed great poise, and I mean great, during his stints in the big league. This kid got size and if he only could mature physically, he will be a really good top 3 D in this league. A young D like that got a ton of value. JT Miller is IMHO a heck of a prospect. You know that he will become a player that just takes care of business both ways and in terms of finnishing hits etc. He definitely also got some offensive flair to his game. He is a modern player who will become a very valuble NHLer. Add a 1st rounder to that and its a heck of an offer IMHO. If we could find trading partners -- we might find someone who really appriciates these assets true value, and the return we get might possibly satisfiy Howson.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Internally there is, keeping Nash around is holding them back from moving forward. Same with the fans, they want to know what's next and right now they're stuck in limbo.
Exactly.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:05 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
GOOD LUCK dealing with that whole circus all year.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:07 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Howson had a chance to draft Del Zotto or Stepan in 2008. Instead, he took Filatov and Goloubef.

In 2007 he took Voracek instead of Couture and Mcdonagh. Jack Johnson cost him Voracek and Couturier.

That's clown **** right there.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Weber is not only one of the very best defensemen in the league, he's one of the top 5-6 players in the league. You want elite talent? Weber is elite talent.
Bobbop, what do you think the Rangers would have to add to Girardi/Staal to get it happen? I feel like not too much more since Weber clearly wants out, no?

Old
07-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Blueblood 2

Doesn't Stastny need a change of scenery from Colorado? Move on Glen.

Old
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Matt Taromina signed with the Bolts. Scratch another off the list of future Devils greats.

Yzerman gets free passes from the media because he's a legend and won Gold, but his GM moves have been questionable at best. Carle? Overpaid. Salo? Frail. Pouliot? Stinks.

Lindback? Unproven.

I'm not sold on TB yet.
Ohlund, and Clark were overpayments too.

Old
MadHookUp

Ola,

I think time is only on the Rangers side. Dubinsky's value is at an all time low. I have to imagine its only going to go up once we start playing games. Especially is Sather tells Torts to showcase him a bit and give him some PP time to inflate his points. Granted he is a streaky player, but its not like he has a history of up and down seasons.

Also the Rangers are a good team without Nash, so there is no urgency on their end. Getting Nash before the season starts or later in the season wont make a huge difference because they dont need him for an entire season to make the playoffs.

Also having a disgruntled Nash in the locker room is going to cause more problems.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Jokinen, Naslund and Straka were all 1st round picks who were late bloomers. MPS has boatloads of skill but he was bypassed by guys who were NHL ready. Renney had him rotting in the press box for months. He should have been in the AHL getting 20 mins a night.

Gagner and MPS are the odd men out there. They need defense. We have it.
The question is, do you want to give up our defense for those guys? I can't say that I would, and I'm including Erixon and McIlrath in that discussion.

Gagner is a very skilled player, but he's so weak on the puck that he just can't get much done. Paajarvi has great wheels and solid skills, but his hockey sense is sort of "meh" in my opinion. He'll be a solid complimentary forward. A guy who could be a 20 goal scorer playing on a line with better players. Create space, push the D back, etc. A bigger version of what Hagelin does for Richards and Gaborik right now.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Kwayry

There is a saying in poker, if you don't know who the sucker is, it must be you. Holmgren is talking up Ryan but is eyeing weber. Shero has no assets to get neither. If howson wants to forever known as having traded the face of the franchise within the division and to the wings nonetheless,he is welcome to it. We circle back to the only player left, Sather. Good luck with your Q 7 offsuit Howson.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Weber is not only one of the very best defensemen in the league, he's one of the top 5-6 players in the league. You want elite talent? Weber is elite talent.
I'll freely admit that I'd love to have Weber on the Rangers, no question about it. Obviously everything comes down to cost, but yeah the Rangers would be silly to at least not pick up the phone.

I don't care if defense is a strength or not, guys like Shea Weber just do not come around that often.

With that said, if he goes anywhere, I think he goes out west.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'm still hoping to add Mueller, but I see a lot of folks penciling him in on the 3rd line. He is in no way a guy I want to see in the bottom-six. He's a top-six winger or bust; similar to Michael Ryder. Give him some guys who can set him up and create space, and he'll make the other team pay with his shot. However, he's an average skater and shows a lack of commitment in his own end. He's a project pick-up to hopefully be a piece of the top-six moving forward, not to be a 3rd liner.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:30 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Gagner on a 2nd line is a nice addition from a skill standpoint. MPS is someone I see flourishing in a sound, winning environment.

This Nash thing needs to be put to bed already. If Sauer (big if) can return late next season, it can make trading McIlrath or Erixon or even Sauer for any decent offensive player stomachable.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Machinehead
1st pair Boyle

vCash: 50
I think Ganger and MPS are more 2nd/3rd tweeners like Anisimov and Dubinsky. No thanks. Some would argue Gagner is a young player, but he's been in the league 5 years and his points were in the 40's all 5 times. He's no improving.

I'd rather take a risk on Mueller or Semin than add more tweeners.

Old
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'm still hoping to add Mueller, but I see a lot of folks penciling him in on the 3rd line. He is in no way a guy I want to see in the bottom-six. He's a top-six winger or bust; similar to Michael Ryder. Give him some guys who can set him up and create space, and he'll make the other team pay with his shot. However, he's an average skater and shows a lack of commitment in his own end. He's a project pick-up to hopefully be a piece of the top-six moving forward, not to be a 3rd liner.
Mueller seems like exactly the type of rehab project that Sather usually goes for.

We'll see if it happens.

Old
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I'll freely admit that I'd love to have Weber on the Rangers, no question about it. Obviously everything comes down to cost, but yeah the Rangers would be silly to at least not pick up the phone.

I don't care if defense is a strength or not, guys like Shea Weber just do not come around that often.

With that said, if he goes anywhere, I think he goes out west.
Wouldn't Nashville try to trade him east first? To get him our of their conference?

Old
07-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Wouldn't Nashville try to trade him east first? To get him our of their conference?
Definately.

But my gut tells me that teams in the Northwest are going to put some serious offers together if he ever gets put on the block.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:38 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

The Flyers need a No. 1 dman. Mark Howe, Desjardins onto Pronger.

Screw Nash. They can use they money and assets for a legit elite talent like Weber.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:39 PM
Kwayry

As one of the first Mueller advocates, I think he is a bottom 6 winger until he proves otherwise. I still think Sather is interested but has to wait until there is more clarity. Top 6 are set ( if a trade goes down). If boh hags and dubi are traded then you slot him in 3lw. I think they have one of the kids penciled in at 3rw.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Mueller seems like exactly the type of rehab project that Sather usually goes for.

We'll see if it happens.
They've also shown interest in the past.

Quote:
The Post has learned Sather recently offered young Hartford defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti to the Coyotes in exchange for young, talented and underachieving center Peter Mueller.

But Phoenix general manager Don Maloney, who had a hand in drafting Sanguinetti 21st overall in 2006 when serving as Sather's assistant, didn't bite. Maloney, we're told, instead countered with a request for either Brandon Dubinsky or Ryan Callahan.

Read more
Big upside if he can stay healthy and refine his game. However, those are some pretty big "ifs" at this point.

Closed Thread