HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Alexander Semin

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 03:00 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsychicSaw View Post
another good article. I think the longer he waits the more the ignorant blindfolds of these media/fans/gm/owners start coming off

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2012/0...y-cares-about/
Most people don't even watch him play. I remember having a discussion recently with someone IRL who is also an Ottawa fan and as soon as I mentioned Semin still being on the market he was like 'I don't want Semin he's a floater and he would be the next Kovalev.' So I asked if he'd ever seen him play and you know how people hate being asked to actually support their assertions. Anyway, I informed him that Semin actually backchecks, and plays hard most of the time -- and that he's put up 386 points in his last 417 games (since the lockout.)

When you compare that to the other two big forward names being thrown around this summer...

Zach Parise: 410 points in 502 games
Rick Nash: 451 points in 520 games

You'll see that Semin has put up a higher ppg pace (Semin - .926, Parise - .817, Nash - .867) with less ice time than either of them, and a higher GPG pace (Semin - .448 , Parise - .386, Nash - .444)

But yeah...definitely wouldn't want a guy that has done nothing but produce since coming into the league on my team despite not being the go-to-guy on his team...no way...

Old
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctrSteveBrule View Post
3 years, 4.5 mil per year with Pittsburgh
That's 40 year old money.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:10 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

devils are under the cap floor and have a chance to win + after hearing about the parise offers I'm sure they can offer Semin something too. Not saying it's likely, but it'd be nice. The silence reeks of Lamoriello which is encouraging

Old
07-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Snipeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Most people don't even watch him play. I remember having a discussion recently with someone IRL who is also an Ottawa fan and as soon as I mentioned Semin still being on the market he was like 'I don't want Semin he's a floater and he would be the next Kovalev.' So I asked if he'd ever seen him play and you know how people hate being asked to actually support their assertions. Anyway, I informed him that Semin actually backchecks, and plays hard most of the time -- and that he's put up 386 points in his last 417 games (since the lockout.)

When you compare that to the other two big forward names being thrown around this summer...

You'll see that Semin has put up a higher ppg pace (Semin - .926, Parise - .817, Nash - .867) with less ice time than either of them, and a higher GPG pace (Semin - .448 , Parise - .386, Nash - .444)

But yeah...definitely wouldn't want a guy that has done nothing but produce since coming into the league on my team despite not being the go-to-guy on his team...no way...
Great post.

All I want is Semin to sign somewhere and prove everybody wrong. He could score 50/50 this year and still get **** on. It's embarassing.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:12 PM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

My question about Semin, because again I do not know enough about him, is that everyone claims he is an issue in the locker room. Is this another concoction of the media, or is there some truth here?

Old
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog172430 View Post
My question about Semin, because again I do not know enough about him, is that everyone claims he is an issue in the locker room. Is this another concoction of the media, or is there some truth here?
he is known to be a quiet guy mostly hangs out with russians but i don't know of any actual issues

Old
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

volchenkov kovalchuk zubrus. we're all set!

was he actually jealous of ovechkin or was he not referring to giz?

Old
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
BRINGITHH8771*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
But but but Semin says there's nothing special about Crosby. Pens would be wasting their money on this guy. but hey, I'm not really a Pens fan, and it's not my money! So who cares right?
Pens fans too are pretty mutual on the topic.. we would love to have him with sid.. but we would all have to put behind the diffrences he had when he was a capital.....

this might be a possibility i live in the dc area but have been a diehard pens fan since i began to love the game when i was young. and when a capfans see the possibility of him goign to the pens and posts on fb saying that he will hate and boo semin whenever he is on the ice(like gonchar) then i see it as a realistic possibility lol

i would welcome him if he works and plays hard..

Last edited by DaveG: 07-06-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: unnecessary
Old
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
bigfatfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post

TOTALLY agree on your point about people talking about players they barley (if ever watch). However, Semin backchecking!?!? Not in the playoffs this year. Super soft on the puck. No battle in the corners and floats backwards. Amazingly skilled offensively, but I don't see the all around game your referring to (personally).

Old
07-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Drouin2Stamkos

He should go to Tampa for a year and get his points up. Then hit FA market next year. He would cash in nicely I think.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:39 PM
xdl1

There absolutely has been a total character assassination on Alex Semin, I assume stemming from somewhere within the Capitals organization, and while it does have some merits, it's mostly unwarranted. I didn't realize until this became a hot topic how much the media has subconsciously made Alex Semin into the hockey antichrist and the public loathe him.

This man has -the- best wrist shot in the entire world. He registers almost as many points as games played. I've seen him play 40-50 games over his years. I have seen him backcheck, go down to block pucks.

He looks lazy at times - you know what? So does Kovalchuk. So does Heatley, and so does Gaborik and Nash. Remember Kovalev and Yashin? It's part of the package at times - Semin can score 60-80 points falling out of bed. Good coaches and teammates, and the right system, can do wonders.

Some team is going to sign him for his annual 6-6.5m AAV salary, and run away laughing having stolen one of the best scorers in the league. I'm happy for Semin that he's made as much money as he has to this point, because if he weren't as well off, I'd feel bad for the guy being both trampled and unpaid.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Fastasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdl1 View Post
There absolutely has been a total character assassination on Alex Semin, I assume stemming from somewhere within the Capitals organization, and while it does have some merits, it's mostly unwarranted. I didn't realize until this became a hot topic how much the media has subconsciously made Alex Semin into the hockey antichrist and the public loathe him.

This man has -the- best wrist shot in the entire world. He registers almost as many points as games played. I've seen him play 40-50 games over his years. I have seen him backcheck, go down to block pucks.

He looks lazy at times - you know what? So does Kovalchuk. So does Heatley, and so does Gaborik and Nash. Remember Kovalev and Yashin? It's part of the package at times - Semin can score 60-80 points falling out of bed. Good coaches and teammates, and the right system, can do wonders.

Some team is going to sign him for his annual 6-6.5m AAV salary, and run away laughing having stolen one of the best scorers in the league. I'm happy for Semin that he's made as much money as he has to this point, because if he weren't as well off, I'd feel bad for the guy being both trampled and unpaid.
Kessel has a better wrist shot, just saying.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:51 PM
jfisher6
#thestructure

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
*cough* Joe Sakic

Old
07-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Iggy77

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx3p8qTOzKM

During the playoffs CBC said that they clocked Semin's wristshot on this goal at 68mph (if I recall).

Old
07-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher6 View Post
*cough* Joe Sakic
Joe is retired, so he's not relevant in this discussion.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Quote:
Respectfully agree to disagree. Kessel has a laser too but Semins shot is ridiculous. Whoever gets him on their first line will be stoked.

His playoff production is a bit troubling, but almost every European takes time to adjust to North American playoff hockey. I'd fall out of my chair if the Jets signed him.

Old
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
TOTALLY agree on your point about people talking about players they barley (if ever watch). However, Semin backchecking!?!? Not in the playoffs this year. Super soft on the puck. No battle in the corners and floats backwards. Amazingly skilled offensively, but I don't see the all around game your referring to (personally).

He was a very consistent backchecker in the playoffs and his one real bad defensive play was an offensive zone turnover against Boston.

He's not physical on the puck but he still gets a ton of takeaways and can keep it with the best of them. Look at his setup on Chimera's goal in game 6 against New York.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Respectfully agree to disagree. Kessel has a laser too but Semins shot is ridiculous. Whoever gets him on their first line will be stoked.

His playoff production is a bit troubling, but almost every European takes time to adjust to North American playoff hockey. I'd fall out of my chair if the Jets signed him.
He's had 9 years to adjust to North American play.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

Quote:
Nope

Old
07-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Better snapper, sure. Best wrister it's Semin by a fair margin. If he gets it off properly you can't see the puck at all.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:58 PM
pullyoursocksup

Quote:
id take semins without a doubt

Old
07-06-2012, 03:59 PM
mrv52
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Better than who?

Old
07-06-2012, 04:03 PM
shipwrecked dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv52 View Post
Better than who?
Better than Peter Worrell's.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
xdl1

Quote:
Don't agree at all. Even if you were right, you'd be splitting hairs.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Incorrect.

Closed Thread