HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
They both have to prevent goals as well.

Green got bum rushed for a critical goal against late in game 7

Old
um

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
More points than Semin.
i thought stats didn't matter? oh its against semin's favor never mind

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
The coach.
False. Dominant positional play + tons of shots in scoring areas =/= coaching failure.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
i thought stats didn't matter? oh its against semin's favor never mind
Jesus ****ing christ. Are you being purposefully dense?

Stats are all Semin gives you, so if he's not producing, he's not giving you anything.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:13 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Do I know who I'm talking to? Is this like a celeb asking a cop "do you know who I am?".

And I agree, simply losing Semin doesn't make us better, but it's a step in a different direction. The core of this team needed a shakeup and Semin made himself the sacrificial lamb through his apathy and play on the ice. If there's a scapegoat, Semin did it to himself.

The team is at a crossroads. The same core group has tried repeatedly and failed. You're suggesting that they keep trying and failing while I'm suggesting they try a new mix of players.
As a matter of fact YES! I am the former chairman of the BoD!!! I've been roughing up Ted and GMGM from pretty much day 1.

Different does not mean right.

Your assertion is that the "core" of the team is the problem. I could not disagree more!

The true problem is that GMGM never got the right ancillary players to go with the core.

Where is our rugged vet dman? Where is the crease clearer? What about the long awaited 2nd line center? Why do we always seem to roll into the playoffs with a rookie goalie? When we have our best teams why do names like Schultz/Morrison/Eminger/Jurcina/Pothier show up in the D lineup card? Where is the rabble rouser agitator that we haven't had since Hunter/Kono?

Its not the core my friend...its what surrounds the core that has been the problem.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
False. Dominant positional play + tons of shots in scoring areas =/= coaching failure.
Yet Semin contributing to dominant positional play + having most shots of anybody =/= Semin failure.

Right?

Old
tycoonheart

Quote:
Most of our shots came from the outside. They collapsed in front of their goalie and blocked a crap ton. They basically did to us what we did to Boston this year. Bruce had no answer to what Jacques was doing. Didn't see him trying to change the strategy. We tried to run through the wall and it didn't work out.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Most of our shots came from the outside. They collapsed in front of their goalie and blocked a crap ton. They basically did to us what we did to Boston this year. Bruce had no answer to what Jacques was doing. Didn't see him trying to change the strategy. We tried to run through the wall and it didn't work out.
Revisionist history. Look at the shot charts.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

People keep talking about Semin's drop in production, so I wanted to see how much that correlated with the Caps' overall drop in production following the 8 game losing streak and our switch to a defense first system.

Caps goals/game in 09/10 and pre-losing streak in 10/11 was 3.71 (401 goals in 108 games).
Since the losing streak, their goals/game is 2.61 (339 goals in 130 games).
That's a 30% drop in production.

Semin's points/game over the pre-losing streak span was 1.19 (118 points in 99 games)
Post-losing streak, it's 0.69 (75 points in 109 games)
That's a 42% drop in production.

Semin was on a 57-41-98 pace in last season before the losing streak. Isn't it possible that his drop in production was because of the change in the scheme, and that when we go back to an offensive system, his production will rebound? And that if he's given a consistent line with a playmaking 2C, it could be even better? If his contract demands aren't outrageous, I think it's a pretty obvious choice to bring him back now that we're back to the system that fits him.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:15 PM
tycoonheart

Shaking up a team for the sake of shaking it up isn't going to work. Philly tried that, got 'em no where. The FO needs to figure out what the missing pieces are and fill it in, even if it means filling it up with Semin (unless of course the FO thinks he's legitimately a locker room cancer).

Old
07-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Revisionist history. Look at the shot charts.
Wait when did you start arguing in Semin's favor all of a sudden?

Old
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
If you want to talk about notable Caps playoff failures, you start with the best Caps team of all time going out in the first round to an 8th seed.

Who was the biggest no-show in that series?
Fleischmann

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
People keep talking about Semin's drop in production, so I wanted to see how much that correlated with the Caps' overall drop in production following the 8 game losing streak and our switch to a defense first system.

Caps goals/game in 09/10 and pre-losing streak in 10/11 was 3.71 (401 goals in 108 games).
Since the losing streak, their goals/game is 2.61 (339 goals in 130 games).
That's a 30% drop in production.

Semin's points/game over the pre-losing streak span was 1.19 (118 points in 99 games)
Post-losing streak, it's 0.69 (75 points in 109 games)
That's a 42% drop in production.

Semin was on a 57-41-98 pace in last season before the losing streak. Isn't it possible that his drop in production was because of the change in the scheme, and that when we go back to an offensive system, his production will rebound? And that if he's given a consistent line with a playmaking 2C, it could be even better? If his contract demands aren't outrageous, I think it's a pretty obvious choice to bring him back now that we're back to the system that fits him.
The pace last season was in what, 10 games? Hardly a large enough sample to draw any conclusions from.

Old
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Considering my problem has always been his playoff production...which has been in multiple systems...Im going with just let him go.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Fleischmann
I'd say the 40-goal, 84-point player getting 2 assists in 7 games is worse than the 23-goal, 51-point player getting 1 assist in 6 games.

In that series, Ovechkin and Backstrom had 10 goals. The rest of the team had 12. The problem was secondary scoring, and Semin was supposed to be source #1 for secondary scoring.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
G3 LesPaul

Still talking about semin.

I mean he is so good that everyone snagged him up quickly on FA and made him an offer he couldn't refuse

That or semin thinks he is worth more, then he is just an idiot

Old
07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Shaking up a team for the sake of shaking it up isn't going to work. Philly tried that, got 'em no where. The FO needs to figure out what the missing pieces are and fill it in, even if it means filling it up with Semin (unless of course the FO thinks he's legitimately a locker room cancer).
Who said shaking it up just for the sake of shaking it up? It's letting go of an unreliable player who gives inconsistent effort.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
I'd say the 40-goal, 84-point player getting 2 assists in 7 games is worse than the 23-goal, 51-point player getting 1 assist in 6 games.

In that series, Ovechkin and Backstrom had 10 goals. The rest of the team had 12. The problem was secondary scoring, and Semin was supposed to be source #1 for secondary scoring.
You actually noticed Semin in that series, even if he didn't get on the board. He was an offensive presence with 44 shots over the seven games, and several more posts on top of that. Sure, he didn't convert, but Halak had a lot to do with that.

Flash was completely invisible the entire series, to the point he was a healthy scratch in game seven. Bruce Boudreau making his boy a healthy scratch.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
BobRouse

Quote:

The problem in that series was Halak. Sometimes, as hard as it is, you just have to give credit where its due. That performance of Halak was one of the top 5 7 game series playoff goaltending performances EVER. That game 6 was just absurd.

Semin fired off over 6 shots a game. It wasn't his lack of effort but rather Halak standing on his head.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Halpysback

I thought Semin's primary role was to make BB look like he knew what he was doing by taking a billion shots from high chance areas? Pretty shot charts and whatnot. Maybe tex could break them out again.

He seems to have done that pretty well.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Who said shaking it up just for the sake of shaking it up? It's letting go of an unreliable player who gives inconsistent effort.
How do you measure reliability? If stats show that Shane Doan isn't producing more than Semin in the playoffs, how is he more reliable?

I'm trying to understand what you consider reliable.

What about Backstrom in the 2010-2011 playoffs? Is that reliable?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Considering my problem has always been his playoff production...which has been in multiple systems...Im going with just let him go.
And replace him with people who produce even less.

Sounds logical.

I thought your problem was that 1 offensive zone penalty he takes every 9 games that is like a dog whistle to you?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
The pace last season was in what, 10 games? Hardly a large enough sample to draw any conclusions from.
26 games, over 30% of the season. Not a huge sample size, but the numbers are pretty consistent with what Semin and the Caps were doing the year before. It's pretty clear Semin stopped producing when we changed schemes.

Old
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Long term contract and a raise for a valiant effort!

Old
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
You actually noticed Semin in that series, even if he didn't get on the board. He was an offensive presence with 44 shots over the seven games, and several more posts on top of that. Sure, he didn't convert, but Halak had a lot to do with that.

Flash was completely invisible the entire series, to the point he was a healthy scratch in game seven. Bruce Boudreau making his boy a healthy scratch.
That doesn't sound like lazy cancer play, so we're just gonna IGNORE that, kay

Closed Thread