HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Give Gomez one last chance?

View Poll Results: Give Gomez One Last Chance?
Yes 86 31.62%
No 186 68.38%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Top Corner2

vCash: 500
Gomez & Bourque & some of the kids (Leblanc, Palushaj etc...) will fight over the 2nd line LW job playing with Pleks & Gionta.

Gomez & Gionta have pretty insane chemistry...so maybe?

I know you all hate Gomez, because you somehow think he ripped you off....but it actually would be REALLY good for the organization if Therrien & Bergevin could help turn his career around. Not only would it help us win....it would make it possible for us to trade him next year when he only has one year on his contract and we could actually pick up some assets.

Same goes for Kaberle and to some extent Bourque. If you want what is best for the organization you should be hoping these guys get minutes & play well enough to become assets again.

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
ChoseLa

I prefer not to think about keeping Gonzalez, our centerline might be the most solid we've had in ages, and that is without him. Can't see him as a winger.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
BLONG7

His 1st season with us was pretty good, his second season was awful, and last year was his last chance for me, and well it was more than awful and add some injuries....to me he has to go to Hamilton or Europe...another chance with Montreal is a non starter for me...and yes I have always been a fan, but enough is enough...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:27 AM
MarkersMark*

I would send him down to the ECHL. I don't want him anywhere near our youngsters, and he earned months of busrides in the US midwest. Go rot Scott.

MarkersMark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:29 PM
The Doors

If Gomez was around, Therrien could get creative and we could go Moen - Gomez - Gionta as a shutdown unit. They've played well together in the past.

Bourque - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais
Moen - Gomez - Gionta
Prust - White - Armstrong

I actually like that lineup...

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:39 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
If Gomez was around, Therrien could get creative and we could go Moen - Gomez - Gionta as a shutdown unit. They've played well together in the past.

Moen - Gomez - Gionta

That would shutdown Gionta as well. Our small captain can score 25g so why not give him the chance to actually do it? If we want success its imperative that we have more 20g scorers. That third line would barely score (10-20g from Gionta. 0-5 to Gomez and 5-0 to Moen)...

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Roulin

Send him to the AHL to save cap space. At the end of the season, if we're in position to make a run at the playoffs, bring him back - he should be an upgrade at 4C over Nokelainen or whoever else. If he gets claimed on recall waivers, good. If not, he should be able to help in a limited role (or more, if we have enough injuries).

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:53 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Send him to the AHL to save cap space. At the end of the season, if we're in position to make a run at the playoffs, bring him back - he should be an upgrade at 4C over Nokelainen or whoever else. If he gets claimed on recall waivers, good. If not, he should be able to help in a limited role (or more, if we have enough injuries).
Sadly he will not be sent down and will start the season in Montreal.
It's pretty obvious now since MB made no effort to acquire a top 6 player because he didn't have the cap space.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
MB made no effort to acquire a top 6 player because he didn't have the cap space.
When did MB say this?

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Sadly he will not be sent down and will start the season in Montreal.
It's pretty obvious now since MB made no effort to acquire a top 6 player because he didn't have the cap space.
There's still time, right? I mean, I would've been pretty upset, had we signed Parise to that monster contract, and I can understand passing on Parenteau and Jagr. There's still Semin, Kostitsyn... maybe Ryan, Nash, Kane, Bouwmeester, who knows who else available... I'm still hoping to see some creativity before next season.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Neutrino

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Gionta - Plekanec - Bourque
Galchenyuk - Gomez - Eller
Prust - Nokelainen - Moen / White

That looks pretty good... If the defense doesn't **** the bed we might make the playoffs.

I put Eller at wing, deal with it, and Galchenyuk is in hoping MB's word will hold and the kids will have a true chance if they are ready.

Don't tell me you can't ease in a guy like Beaulieu in the line up next year... 6'3" and will come to the camp at 200 at least, he's not a precious little flower get him out there ! He's exactly what we need isn't he ? Galchenyuk could also make it; the real knock on him is he barely played last year but apparently he still trained like crazy. If his skating isn't too sketchy, his awareness and skill instantly makes him one of the players on the team with the most tools offensively.

Anyway, try him out for nine games there's nothing to lose.

Last edited by Neutrino: 07-06-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:18 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
Gionta - Plekanec - Bourque
Galchenyuk - Gomez - Eller
Prust - Nokelainen - Moen / White

That looks pretty good... If the defense doesn't **** the bed we might make the playoffs.

I put Eller at wing, deal with it, and Galchenyuk is in hoping MB's word will hold and the kids will have a true chance if they are ready.

Don't tell you can't ease in a guy like Beaulieu in the line up next year... 6'3" and will come to the camp at 200 at least, he's not a precious little flower get him out there ! He's exactly what we need isn't he ? Galchenyuk could also make it; the real knock on him is he barely played last year but apparently he still trained like crazy. If his skating isn't too sketchy, his awareness and skill instantly makes him one of the players on the team with the most tools offensively.

Anyway, try him out for nine games there's nothing to lose.
No, no.. I'm telling you... Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais. Keeps Max and DD together, gives Eller time to develop at Centre with creative players, and voila..DD still has 2 big bodies. It frees up Cole for Plekanec's line too.

The Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:
No, no.. I'm telling you... Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais. Keeps Max and DD together, gives Eller time to develop at Centre with creative players, and voila..DD still has 2 big bodies. It frees up Cole for Plekanec's line too.
The problem is the MaxPac - Cole chemistry is the best on the team and the only glimmer of hope we have with forwards this season. So I don't like the idea of breaking up your only above average duo just to help weaker players along.

If anything, I'd rather keep Galchenyuk and play MaxPac - Gal - Cole all season and let the remainder fight for second line minutes.

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:56 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

Moen - Gomez - Gionta

No offense but that is terrible.

Desharnais is a much better center than Eller and White is a terrible center.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 01:57 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
The problem is the MaxPac - Cole chemistry is the best on the team and the only glimmer of hope we have with forwards this season. So I don't like the idea of breaking up your only above average duo just to help weaker players along.

If anything, I'd rather keep Galchenyuk and play MaxPac - Gal - Cole all season and let the remainder fight for second line minutes.
The only reason it was our only above average trio was because it got babied and given extremely easy minutes. Putting eller at center there gives it the chance to take the 2nd hardest minutes like eller was doing last year, but also giving them more offense as well.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:47 AM
NHLFutureGuy3

Does gomez have something we don't know about?

I'm beginning to think Gomez or his agent has something on the Canadiens.

Obviously it was a huge mistake to trade for Gomez but even after that, any sane GM would have buried Gomez in the minors a long time ago. One could say Gainey and Gauthier were just trying to cover their mistakes by keeping him but MB has no excuses.

When asked what he would do about Gomez, MB said something like 'doing anything to win' which, to me, hinted that he would send him to the minors if he had to. Now that MB has been GM for a short while, he still hasn't sent Gomez to the minors and he seems to have changed his tune. If MB doesn't send Gomez to the minors during the season even after he plays like garbage, am I the only one who thinks that Gomez might have some information on the Canadiens they don't want getting out? It's gotta be something because this is beyond ridiculous.

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:52 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
I'm beginning to think Gomez or his agent has something on the Canadiens.

Obviously it was a huge mistake to trade for Gomez but even after that, any sane GM would have buried Gomez in the minors a long time ago. One could say Gainey and Gauthier were just trying to cover their mistakes by keeping him but MB has no excuses.

When asked what he would do about Gomez, MB said something like 'doing anything to win' which, to me, hinted that he would send him to the minors if he had to. Now that MB has been GM for a short while, he still hasn't sent Gomez to the minors and he seems to have changed his tune. If MB doesn't send Gomez to the minors during the season even after he plays like garbage, am I the only one who thinks that Gomez might have some information on the Canadiens they don't want getting out? It's gotta be something because this is beyond ridiculous.
Why would MB send Gomez in the minors right in the middle of the summer? What would be the point? Nobody has been assigned anywhere, why Gomez?

You guys should chill out. A lot of things can happen between now, the training camp, and the begining of the season.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 02:59 AM
NHLFutureGuy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Why would MB send Gomez in the minors right in the middle of the summer? What would be the point? Nobody has been assigned anywhere, why Gomez?

You guys should chill out. A lot of things can happen between now, the training camp, and the begining of the season.
Ok and if MB doesn't send Gomez to the minors during another horrible season, what would you think then? Wouldn't that be insane?!

NHLFutureGuy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 03:06 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post

Galchenyuk is a stretch to even make the team. Not a chance he's centering our first line in his first year. Especially considering he was hurt all of last year.

nhlfan9191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLFutureGuy3 View Post
Ok and if MB doesn't send Gomez to the minors during another horrible season, what would you think then? Wouldn't that be insane?!
Depends if there's anyone better to replace him. The team doesn't automatically get better by removing him from it. The salary doesn't come into it until there are players that can be signed that require more cap room. So the first question now in training camp is who is playing better Nokelainen or Gomez. If it's Nokie then Gomez becomes 13th forward. Then it's a matter of whether any of the young centres in Hamilton play well enough to force their way into the team and make roster spaces an actual issue. Or we still might sign or trade for a player that does likewise.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:36 AM
Miller Time

If we are stuck with Gomez, minors being ruled out as the obvious solution...

I think this would b making the best out of a bad situation

Eller- Pleks - Cole
Max- DD - Palushaj (or who wins the spot in camp)
Bourque- Gomez - Gionta
Prust

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:37 AM
Miller Time

If we are stuck with Gomez, minors being ruled out as the obvious solution...

I think this would b making the best out of a bad situation

Eller- Pleks - Cole
Max- DD - Palushaj (or who wins the spot in camp)
Bourque- Gomez - Gionta
Moen - White - Prust
Noke

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
thebinne4pres

Call me crazy, but there's a lots of reason for Gomez to be back. Even if it turns out a mistake. As bad as Gomez has been, no one can argue these facts :

With Pleky and Gomez as top 6 forward, the habs finish 8th and 6th.
They've reached the 3rd round and almost beat the champions the next year
And they had one of the best powerplay in the league

With, DD and Pleky as top 6 forward...15th and no playoff.
And one of the worst powerplay in the league

Gomez played 2 years mostly with Gionta
Gionta scored 28 and 29 goals

Pouliot scored 15 goals 39 games with Gomez
Pacioretty scored 14 goals in 37 games with Gomez

I don't think it's fair to say that Gomez can't help a team.....players around him produced really well. And the end result was way better than what we got last year.

There's also the fact that 2 ex-habs player came out to defend Gomez publicly. Gill and Spacek said that the system they used was the worst for a guy like Gomez. With a new system, who knows, mayby Gomez will revive.

Gomez had 6 straight seasons with more than 58 points before the fatal season of 2010-2011.....

Chemistry is a big part of the game......Gomez and Gionta always had that chemistry, put a good players with them and it will probably work, as it always did in the past.
Gionta can't play with DD, too small...can't seem to find chemistry with Plekanec.

Bergevin is a new DG in the league, and that's the kind of move you might not wanna do in your first 6 months on the job.

Even with all that, I don't want to see Gomez again with the team. But if it happens, i'd understand why....but still, i would think it's a mistake.

thebinne4pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Kjell Dahlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
The only reason it was our only above average trio was because it got babied and given extremely easy minutes. Putting eller at center there gives it the chance to take the 2nd hardest minutes like eller was doing last year, but also giving them more offense as well.
Oh please... "babied"? Really?

Not according to this:

***inserty pdf... coming soon! ****

EDIT: http://the6thsens.com/PlayerUsageCharts2011-12.pdf

They sure received easier minutes than Eller but they were Gomez-years away from being babied.

Kjell Dahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 10:09 PM
ChoseLa

If MB can't get a top-6 wingers and moves DD to the wing (He's our best center but also the best suited for wings) he could be a third liner, cause he can still skate and contribute a bit offensivly. Moen - Gomez - Bourque, we've seen wrost.

Still i'd prefer him down and Doan/Semence with the Habs.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote