HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

We get an easier schedule next year

Old
07-05-2012, 01:25 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
We get an easier schedule next year

While the Rangers did not get better, the East/Atlantic got weaker.

- Philly lost Jagr and Carle. Those are two excellent players whose absence will reduce the Flyer depth.
- Wash lost Wideman and may well lose Semin. They always scared me, but they don't anymore. The Caps aren't a great team.
- NJ lost Parise and will lose more UFAs. They already weren't a great defensive team, and now won't score much either.
- Pitt lost Staal, though for a decent return. Not a huge loss, but either way the team won't be as strong.

Atlantic was a deadly division last year, and would get even worse if Wash moved in under the new CBA, as some speculated. Suddenly, it does not look as bad.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:31 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

vCash: 50
Free Agency ain't over yet. With Holmgren you never know, Shero's going to add some D imo, and Lou isn't done either, I'd think.

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:41 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
It's only July 5th.... Plenty of time left.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:28 AM
Giacomin

You left out the Islanders they lost P.A.P.!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:00 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post

- Philly lost Jagr and Carle. Those are two excellent players whose absence will reduce the Flyer depth.
- Wash lost Wideman and may well lose Semin. They always scared me, but they don't anymore. The Caps aren't a great team.
- NJ lost Parise and will lose more UFAs. They already weren't a great defensive team, and now won't score much either.
- Pitt lost Staal, though for a decent return. Not a huge loss, but either way the team won't be as strong.
Not to rain on the parade but

Actually I think Washington got better. Wideman leaving is addition by subtraction as he was a defensive liability. Mike Green should be healthy along with Alzner, Carlson and Schultz they have a nice top 4 without Hamrlik or Orlov. Assuming they resign their RFA.

Pittsburgh should also be about as good as last year, perhaps lacking some depth. But a year of Sidney is not to be under rated.

Philly's defense got a bit better actually. At least in my opinion.

The devils are going to be hurting in 2013. Take a look at cap geek, wow they have a ton of UFA.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:02 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
The Atlantic is definitely worse today then it was June 30. That's parity. The division kicked ass last year, so it lost guys.

One thing I don't get. The isles lost PA--but why didn't they match that offer? It's a fair deal. You can't tell me Wang didn't want to spend an extra $5M a year on one of his top guys? This isn't like a mid/small market team having to pony up $100M. He got an $18M deal...

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Kershaw

We still have something like 10 games in a 20 game span before the playoffs start. This will gas out the players for the playoffs and again we'll reTORT(s) to shot blocking to lead us in the playoffs.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:10 AM
broadwayblue

Philly might be a bit worse...but does anyone really think we'll go 6-0 against them again? Doubtful.

And as others have pointed out, there's 8 months until the trading deadline. All that matters is how a team is performing at the end of the season...not the start.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:13 AM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Pittsburgh also traded Michalek, and Philly traded JVR for Luke Schenn(brutal deal for Philly). Washington also got Ribeiro for kind of cheap as well though.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:41 AM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Philly might be a bit worse...but does anyone really think we'll go 6-0 against them again? Doubtful.

And as others have pointed out, there's 8 months until the trading deadline. All that matters is how a team is performing at the end of the season...not the start.
82-0 includes 6-0 against the Flyers, so I guess the answer is yes, I fully believe this will happen.

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post

Atlantic was a deadly division last year, and would get even worse if Wash moved in under the new CBA, as some speculated. Suddenly, it does not look as bad.
Don't forget they traded Michalek as well but kept Martin. I always thought Michalek was hands and feet better than Martin. Wtf was Shero thinking?

07-05-2012, 11:04 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Philly is almost certainly going to be weaker next year unless they add some pieces before then. Their UFA losses and their trade won't be helpful.

Same for the Devils. Losing Parise and (probably) Sykora won't help their offense, and Brodeur will get even older, now on the wrong side of the big 4-0.

Pitt is the only Atlantic team that scares me.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
I understand that this is a message board and that the point is to discuss and predict, but I dislike speculatory, absolute ideas like, "we get an easier schedule next year." Who knew last year that the Rangers and Blues would be two of the top three teams in the NHL? Or that the Capitals would barely squeak into the playoffs while the Ducks would be absolutely brutal? Who knew that Hartnell and Neal would outproduce Ovechkin and Perry? And these are assertions most were ignorant to in October of last year. It's July 5th. With trades and signings still inevitable and training camp not even started. Little known rookies like Carl Hagelin and Matt Read will make big impacts and some guys will have career years while other reputable players will falter. That's the reality of the NHL. The Devils, in my opinion, are the only team that we can say,with any certainty, has tangibly been hurt. I think it is ignorant to claim that, on July 5th, we can assert with any validity that the schedule will be "easier" for us.

TheRightWay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:25 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
I understand that this is a message board and that the point is to discuss and predict, but I dislike speculatory, absolute ideas like, "we get an easier schedule next year." Who knew last year that the Rangers and Blues would be two of the top three teams in the NHL? Or that the Capitals would barely squeak into the playoffs while the Ducks would be absolutely brutal? Who knew that Hartnell and Neal would outproduce Ovechkin and Perry? And these are assertions most were ignorant to in October of last year. It's July 5th. With trades and signings still inevitable and training camp not even started. Little known rookies like Carl Hagelin and Matt Read will make big impacts and some guys will have career years while other reputable players will falter. That's the reality of the NHL. The Devils, in my opinion, are the only team that we can say,with any certainty, has tangibly been hurt. I think it is ignorant to claim that, on July 5th, we can assert with any validity that the schedule will be "easier" for us.
I feel like we say the same thing every single year about the Devils and they find a way back towards the top of the charts by the end of every single season (except two years ago when they were decimated by injury and still managed to push close towards the end of the year).

Old
07-05-2012, 12:35 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
The Atlantic is definitely worse today then it was June 30. That's parity. The division kicked ass last year, so it lost guys.

One thing I don't get. The isles lost PA--but why didn't they match that offer? It's a fair deal. You can't tell me Wang didn't want to spend an extra $5M a year on one of his top guys? This isn't like a mid/small market team having to pony up $100M. He got an $18M deal...
P.A got a 16 million dollar deal, over 4 years. I think Garth didn't want to commit to P.A long term, the money wasn't an issue. But the Isles also added Visnovsky, and he fills a very important need on the backend.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:16 PM
NYRSchrute217

So far the Devils are the only team that got a lot worse. Pittsburgh is going to make an addition and Brandon Sutter's a very good third line center. Philly and the Islanders stayed about the same (JVR didn't play much last year, so I'm not sure how anyone could say they downgraded on their 2012 team, even if van Riemsdyk is significantly better than Schenn). We also haven't improved much either. I've always thought the Penguins would win the division this year considering they finished a point behind us with half a season from Letang and 25 games from Crosby. But still, the Rangers will be better suited in the playoffs after playing 20 playoff games this season.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
KreidertheGlider
MDZ for NYR Blueline

Do you think Gaborik's performance towards the end of the season and into the playoffs could increase because he didn't play 80+ games, or do you think his injury will plague him?

KreidertheGlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:33 PM
bogans

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
Do you think Gaborik's performance towards the end of the season and into the playoffs could increase because he didn't play 80+ games, or do you think his injury will plague him?
I think that no offseason training could plague him, which could lead to him really hitting his stride at the end of the season/playoffs. The negative there is that it could also lead to him coming back not in game shape and being two steps behind the competition for the first two months after his return.

Old
07-08-2012, 02:28 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogans View Post
I think that no offseason training could plague him, which could lead to him really hitting his stride at the end of the season/playoffs. The negative there is that it could also lead to him coming back not in game shape and being two steps behind the competition for the first two months after his return.
I'm sure Gabby will be doing as much as he can to stay in hockey shape and keep his game as sharp as possible while dealing with his injury... it's going to be tough for him but I don't think he'll come back in some kind of terrible shape.

What I'm worried about is not having Gabby for what, half of the season? Who the hell is gonna score goals for us? I'm also pissed that he won't be able to put up another 40 goal season, for his own good.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote