HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Summer Roster Moves VI: Return of the Peg-i

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 12:15 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 500
Stastny and Roy are very different players. I am also not a fan of Vanek for Stastny. Stastny is not what we need. We need a winger to help are young centers, and a third line vet who has some size and can shut down other teams.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Anyone willing to take a stab at what Brian Boyle would cost to acquire from the Rangers?

Boyle under Tortorella is akin to Hanzal under Tippett, I think (and not just because they're both massive centers).
his cost to role value is too good to trade... what could possibly entice a contender to trade a player like Boyle?

Old
07-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Girgenburger
doginthebathtub

Stastny really isn't that good though. If Darcy's looking for that 1C, he waits for a better option to become available. They're not the same player at all, but Stastny wouldn't be that much of an upgrade over Roy.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:19 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
his cost to role value is too good to trade... what could possibly entice a contender to trade a player like Boyle?
That's why I asked.

It'd take quite an "overpayment" to land Boyle. I'm curious as to what it'd cost to pry him away.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:19 PM
joshjull

I think Darcy is looking for a 2/3 center with size, a good defensive game and some edge. Stastny does not fit that.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:20 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I think Darcy is looking for a 2/3 center with size, a good defensive game and some edge. Stastny does not fit that.
I'm of the mindset that Darcy is already in negotiations with a team for that exact player. I feel that he wouldn't have moved Roy if he didn't have his replacement in mind.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:23 PM
JPurp26

To the above messages. Exactly. 2/3 Shutdown with size and FO ability not Stastny

Old
07-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
That's why I asked.

It'd take quite an "overpayment" to land Boyle. I'm curious as to what it'd cost to pry him away.
i floated Vanek for Dubinsky and Boyle... no one seemed to like it on either side

id do it

Old
07-06-2012, 12:30 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
i floated Vanek for Dubinsky and Boyle... no one seemed to like it on either side

id do it
I'd think about it but losing that offense is a tough pill to swallow.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:31 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I'd think about it but losing that offense is a tough pill to swallow.
Particularly when we have the centers we do in the system. If folks can be patient for 1-2 years. Some of these issues will be addressed in house.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Particularly when we have the centers we do in the system. If folks can be patient for 1-2 years. Some of these issues will be addressed in house.
Vanek will be gone in 2 years

Id rather watch a harder working, more competitive team, while the new core develops (with the added bonus that the hard work rubs off on the new core as it works its way up)

Old
07-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Jame
Dream '16

I have no problem trading Vanek, and becoming a HARD team to play against... while we develop a new offensive core over the next few years...

vanek for dubinsky and boyle... **** yea

Ott-Hodgson-Pominville
Leino-Dubinsky-Tropp
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Gerbe-Boyle-Kaleta/Scott/McCormick

Old
07-06-2012, 12:44 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Lol dude please stop calling Stastny, Roy 2.0... You have no clue what your talking about if you really think he is just Roy with an extra 2 inches... Stastny bring so much more to the game then Roy ever did...
Am I exaggerating slightly? Maybe. I still think Vanek is better than Statsny...Hodgson and Ennis aren't 18. They're 22-3. Moving Roy gives them an opportunity to step up and prove they can handle more responsibility. It has to happen some time. And Vanek gives them a tried and trusted scoring winger to generate offense with. Do you really like Hodgson's chances of developing better if you stick him behind Statsny with guys like Ott and Tropp as his wingers? I don't.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Digable5

Quote:

id do it
And replace the offense by signing Semin?

Semin-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Dubinsky-Boyle-Ott

Old
07-06-2012, 12:55 PM
BWidz8930

Quote:
Why not sign Arnott? 1 yr at $3M. Not really a shutdown guy, but if you put him in between Ott and Leino you've got a line that's defensively responsible (for the most part) and will put some pucks in the net. Also could play in the top-6 if Hodgson or Ennis gets hurt.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Lloydchristmas138

The Matt Cullen suggestion was a good one, I'd like to see a center with some offensive upside play that 3rd line center.

If our top 6 fills out like this:
Vanek-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

The third line would probably be right now:
Ott-XXX-Leino

I wanted to make the point that Leino enjoyed much success playing on a line with Hartnell and Briere, Ott can be the Hartnell but who would be the Briere? Maybe a veteran center with speed and skill would be a good fit(just not D. Roy). I love the Cullen suggestion, some other names I would toss out: Dubinsky, M Fisher, A Macdonald, Grigorenko, Lombardi(meh), Filppula...

Also a future possibility, maybe Hodgson is that guy to try and create some magic with Ott and Leino while Grigorenko centers Van and Poms.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:02 PM
AdamsApple

I understand you may like Dubinsky and Boyle as players more than Vanek, but making that trade would be like trading a million dollar house for a 80k house because you'd prefer a cozier place. If you want to trade Vanek, you just have to get more than that back.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

The main reason I'm ok with the Vanek for Stastny trade, is Ruff.

There are too many "smoke/fire" quotes over the years for Ruff and Vanek to be "right." I've said for years on these boards that "if you have a Stallion, you ride him." Ruff does not game plan for Vanek, and he is our Stallion. If Ruff has a problem with him, please trade him.

I'll bring it up again, Vanek started the season PK'ing with Paille, they scored a couple shorties, and Vanek has never been PKing again. Why does Vanek only sit in front of the net on the PP? Why do I watch plays designed for other top players with an awesome shot such as Vanek? Why isn't he set up for a one-timer at the top of the circle? Why not feed him the puck at the blueline? Too many options that are not utilized or tried for Vanek specifically over the years. (and yes, I know putting him at the blueline that he's a touch slow..just an example of cycling him to the top for a set up shot.)

I feel Vanek could be best served as trade right now, for the future for us.

I also think a decent sized, two way center is what we need but I wouldn't be opposed to Stastny at all, as I think he would do great with Pomms.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:28 PM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Am I exaggerating slightly? Maybe. I still think Vanek is better than Statsny...Hodgson and Ennis aren't 18. They're 22-3. Moving Roy gives them an opportunity to step up and prove they can handle more responsibility. It has to happen some time. And Vanek gives them a tried and trusted scoring winger to generate offense with. Do you really like Hodgson's chances of developing better if you stick him behind Statsny with guys like Ott and Tropp as his wingers? I don't.
Im not trying to say go get Stastny he will win us a cup or he is even what this team needs right now. Im just saying he is a more complete player then Roy and I would take him 100 times out of 100 over Roy.

on a side note:

Why not just stack up our wingers with grit and veteran leadership and let Ennis, Hodgson and Grigorenko play the 123 down the middle?

I know we want a more veteran savy Center to mentor our young guys but then your taking on the job expierence from them.

I would love to see them go hard after Iginla. Not sure what it would take tho. Surround youth with Veteran Leaders.

Vanek-Grigorenko-Iginla
Ott-Hodgson-Pomminville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford

Im sure it would take a lot to get Iginla but I think that top 9 would be deadly.

Iginla offer anyone?

Adam, Armia, Pysyk and draft pick or picks?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:03 PM
gallagt01

Certain Avs fans would only trade Stastny to Buffalo for Myers +.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
static80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post

Semin-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Dubinsky-Boyle-Ott
That 3rd line would be hell to play against, then drop the 4th line of Gerbe - ? - Kaleta on them and Sabres games every night would get down right twilight zonish.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Protects them from what exactly? With Stastny we have 3 centers and and only two wingers in Pominville and Stafford to score. I think their development would be better playing with some amazing talent rather than miss out on opportunities because they are being given to a 26 yo.
Stastny, playing with Pominville, draws the tough matchups. Hodgson, Ennis, maybe even Grigorenko, face easier competition.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Semin-Hodgson-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Dubinsky-Boyle-Ott
Except what happens to Leino?

Old
07-06-2012, 02:33 PM
gallagt01

Does anyone else believe that Regier doesn't foresee Grigorenko making the team this season?

If he does, I feel like a few players we haven't talked much about may be on the way out (especially if they do add a big-bodied center).

At some point, there just won't be room for Mikhail, no?

I'm sure they'll wait until training camp to be certain, but Regier's comments regarding what he still wants to do strike me as though they don't see Grigorenko making the team come October.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:36 PM
TehDoak
Goin Streakin

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Does anyone else believe that Regier doesn't foresee Grigorenko making the team this season?

If he does, I feel like a few players we haven't talked much about may be on the way out (especially if they do add a big-bodied center).

At some point, there just won't be room for Mikhail, no?

I'm sure they'll wait until training camp to be certain, but Regier's comments regarding what he still wants to do strike me as though they don't see Grigorenko making the team come October.
My guess is that the team might be in a holding pattern until after Dev camp to get a better feel from the coaches on whether they'd be comfortable with Grigs in a full time role.

Closed Thread