HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
  #951
tycoonheart
Registered User
 
tycoonheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Long term contract and a raise for a valiant effort!
No one is saying that.

C'mon.

If the price is right, sign him. If he's asking for an insane amount of $, forget it. But the dude is considered one of the better snipers in the league and if he can be had for a pretty good deal, I'd love to see him signed.

tycoonheart is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:26 PM
  #952
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Long term contract and a raise for a valiant effort!


Semin doesn't show any effort though.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
  #953
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
How do you measure reliability? If stats show that Shane Doan isn't producing more than Semin in the playoffs, how is he more reliable?

I'm trying to understand what you consider reliable.

What about Backstrom in the 2010-2011 playoffs? Is that reliable?
Shane Doan's effort and commitment is as reliable as it gets. There's no excuse for Backstrom's 2010-11 season. But that season was an exception for him

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
  #954
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Considering my problem has always been his playoff production...which has been in multiple systems...Im going with just let him go.
He's had 3 bad series, max. Two of them, Montreal and Tampa, the entire team didn't show up. The other was against Henrik Lunqvist, playing against a "second pairing" that featured Marc Staal, while playing offensively stifling Hunter Hockey. I don't think any of those series are worthy of him being singled out the way he has.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  #955
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Semin doesn't try though.
Again, no one gives a **** if he tries or not. The issue is he doesn't score.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  #956
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
No one is saying that.

C'mon.

If the price is right, sign him. If he's asking for an insane amount of $, forget it. But the dude is considered one of the better snipers in the league and if he can be had for a pretty good deal, I'd love to see him signed.
Yes, some people are saying that, actually.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  #957
artilector
Registered User
 
artilector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,628
vCash: 500
In the end, I'd rather give Semin 6-6.5 than 4.5 to Laich.

It'll come down down to something like
Semin+Beagle/Chimera vs. Kostitsyn+Laich...

The time to trade Semin & Green really was a couple of years ago. At this point, unless McPhee can swing a great trade, taking either of those players out screws up the balance (or, more precisely, maintains an imbalance) in a way that duct-tape replacements likely will not fix, and the Caps might be left hanging for a couple of years.

What kind of contract does Semin want, that's the question. If it's 7m x 8 yrs, ok, forget about it, but how low might he go if given term?

artilector is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  #958
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I'd say the 40-goal, 84-point player getting 2 assists in 7 games is worse than the 23-goal, 51-point player getting 1 assist in 6 games.

In that series, Ovechkin and Backstrom had 10 goals. The rest of the team had 12. The problem was secondary scoring, and Semin was supposed to be source #1 for secondary scoring.
im starting to think you didn't even watch that series, and getting rid of semin because of something he did over 2 years ago makes little sense especially when hes been one of our best player in other series

um is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
  #959
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Score points are the only thing hockey players are suppose to do!

I want 12 100 pt one way players please! Who needs defense, back and fore checking? Who needs to block shots, screen the goalie, not take stupid penalties.

Points are the only thing that matters!

G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
  #960
mrwarden
Nothing Witty
 
mrwarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 8,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Long term contract and a raise for a valiant effort!
What do Jay Beagle, Dave Steckel, Matt Bradley, Chris Clark, Brad Clymer, etc etc have to do with this?

Edit: Quinton Laing...that woulda been a good one. Damn.

__________________
mrwarden is in ur threads, deleting ur posts
mrwarden is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
  #961
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Again, no one gives a **** if he tries or not. The issue is he doesn't score.
If we ignore the series where he does and is a top 3 player.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:30 PM
  #962
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,498
vCash: 500
I'd sign him for the same deal Gagne signed after two ****** years.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
  #963
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
He's had 3 bad series, max. Two of them, Montreal and Tampa, the entire team didn't show up. The other was against Henrik Lunqvist, playing against a "second pairing" that featured Marc Staal, while playing offensively stifling Hunter Hockey. I don't think any of those series are worthy of him being singled out the way he has.
Pittsburgh, Montreal, Tampa, New York. That's half of the series he's played.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
  #964
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Score points are the only thing hockey players are suppose to do!

I want 12 100 pt one way players please! Who needs defense, back and fore checking? Who needs to block shots, screen the goalie, not take stupid penalties.

Points are the only thing that matters!
I remember my first year of not watching hockey while talking about it.

If only we scored less and did intangibly things more. That would have made all the difference this year.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
  #965
um
Registered User
 
um's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Score points are the only thing hockey players are suppose to do!

I want 12 100 pt one way players please! Who needs defense, back and fore checking? Who needs to block shots, screen the goalie, not take stupid penalties.

Points are the only thing that matters!
so you want to get rid of ovechkin?

um is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:33 PM
  #966
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Shane Doan's effort and commitment is as reliable as it gets. There's no excuse for Backstrom's 2010-11 season. But that season was an exception for him
Shane Doan is also 35 years old, running out of gas, and wants a long term contract that is highly risky due the the little CBA thing.

Historically Doan has won 2 playoff series with his franchise. Not sure how Doan can be absolved of his "lack of success" b/c of the "other guys" on his team while Semin is "the major problem" with his team?

BobRouse is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:33 PM
  #967
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter
 
californiacapsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berzerkeley, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
I am among those who think Semin is a solid hockey player who mostly gets a bad wrap. However, if he's even half as divisive an issue in the locker room as he is on these boards, it's probably best to let him go.

californiacapsfan is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
  #968
G3 LesPaul
Registered User
 
G3 LesPaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
I remember when my first year of not watching hockey while talking about it.

If only we scored less and did intangibly things more. That would have made all the difference this year.
Clearly I am first timer here. You are such a genius, you should become a GM!

G3 LesPaul is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
  #969
strungout
Professional Killer
 
strungout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 29,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
What kind of contract does Semin want, that's the question. If it's 7m x 8 yrs, ok, forget about it, but how low might he go if given term?
Im sure his motivation levels will be through the roof making less money than he has been the last few years. Great plan!

strungout is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
  #970
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist
 
Zoidberg Jesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Pittsburgh, Montreal, Tampa, New York. That's half of the series he's played.
He may not have scored, but he still had 6 assists. I wouldn't call it a bad series.

Zoidberg Jesus is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:35 PM
  #971
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Clearly I am first timer here. You are such a genius, you should become a GM!
Well either you've never watched him play or you don't know what defense is.

Also thinking that all we needed to succeed this year was more grit at the expense of offense is a bit telling.

Halpysback is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:35 PM
  #972
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Shane Doan is also 35 years old, running out of gas, and wants a long term contract that is highly risky due the the little CBA thing.

Historically Doan has won 2 playoff series with his franchise. Not sure how Doan can be absolved of his "lack of success" b/c of the "other guys" on his team while Semin is "the major problem" with his team?
Can you link to the tweet/article that says Doan wants term? I have not read that.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:36 PM
  #973
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Shane Doan is also 35 years old, running out of gas, and wants a long term contract that is highly risky due the the little CBA thing.

Historically Doan has won 2 playoff series with his franchise. Not sure how Doan can be absolved of his "lack of success" b/c of the "other guys" on his team while Semin is "the major problem" with his team?
Doan wants a long-term contract with Phoenix. There's been nothing said about his contract demands of another team.

Doan can be absolved by watching his play. That dude would skate through a brick wall for his team in the playoffs.

I'm honestly befuddled as to why you, of all people, wouldn't see the value of a Shane Doan over an Alex Semin.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:37 PM
  #974
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
He may not have scored, but he still had 6 assists. I wouldn't call it a bad series.
Orpik broke his hand. He gets a pass.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:37 PM
  #975
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
What kind of contract does Semin want, that's the question. If it's 7m x 8 yrs, ok, forget about it, but how low might he go if given term?
Gandler was looking for 5 years @ $7M per year.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.