HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Doan is a grinderp guyz! That absolves him of any role in his team's problems!

Old
07-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Orpik broke his hand. He gets a pass.
Apparently not.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
As a matter of fact YES! I am the former chairman of the BoD!!! I've been roughing up Ted and GMGM from pretty much day 1.

Different does not mean right.

Your assertion is that the "core" of the team is the problem. I could not disagree more!

The true problem is that GMGM never got the right ancillary players to go with the core.

Where is our rugged vet dman? Where is the crease clearer? What about the long awaited 2nd line center? Why do we always seem to roll into the playoffs with a rookie goalie? When we have our best teams why do names like Schultz/Morrison/Eminger/Jurcina/Pothier show up in the D lineup card? Where is the rabble rouser agitator that we haven't had since Hunter/Kono?

Its not the core my friend...its what surrounds the core that has been the problem.
Your opinion, but the ancillary players have been rotated annually with no success. Maybe it's all the GM and no matter what until they pick up that one 4th line guy to put us over the top it's all an exercise in futility?

Wait, Kono was an agitator? LOL...riiiiiight.

I'm not discounting that McPhee should have done more, but to ignore the core players is foolishness. Those are the guys who get the most ice time and play in critical situations. When they succeed, they team usually succeeds. When they fail, the team fails.

I just don't believe that our successes or failures hinge on the bottom 6, the bottom pair D and another roster spot here or there...

Old
07-06-2012, 03:39 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Doan wants a long-term contract with Phoenix. There's been nothing said about his contract demands of another team.

Doan can be absolved by watching his play. That dude would skate through a brick wall for his team in the playoffs.

I'm honestly befuddled as to why you, of all people, wouldn't see the value of a Shane Doan over an Alex Semin.
because i dont think we'll get doan unless we overpay, semin on the other hand wants to play here and may take less money than he can get. plus im not sure ovechkin will even get back to a 40 goal scoring pace next year, we cant rely on 1 goal scorer any more

Old
07-06-2012, 03:39 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Well either you've never watched him play or you don't know what defense is.

Also thinking that all we needed to succeed this year was more grit at the expense of offense is a bit telling.
Heart > skill.

Semin has skill. Not as much heart as other players we can have for a much cheaper price.

I want to see MP on the 2nd line wing. I think he can excel there

Old
07-06-2012, 03:40 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Heart > skill.

Semin has skill. Not as much heart as other players we can have for a much cheaper price.

We all saw the value of that maxim under the Hanlon years.

07-06-2012, 03:40 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Doan is a grinderp guyz! That absolves him of any role in his team's problems!
No, what absolves him is that he scored more goals than Semin. While playing in a trap. And he tripled Semin's playoff production. And he didn't get to play with Backstrom.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Halpysback

rugged vet dman & 2nd line center = bottom 6 forward and bottom pair defenseman?

Quoting it and STILL getting it wrong. Priceless

Old
07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
so you want to get rid of ovechkin?
If he can't come back to superstar levels under a more offensive system with Oates, and if it could be a pure hockey decision by impassive management, Caps may very well be better off trading him to a market that will accept subpar production in order to field a big-name star.

Like especially if say, Oates can't work a miracle, Ribeiro walks next season, and you have a roster of (nice young core) + (scrubs) + (underperfoming Ovechkin & whatever Green), that's pretty far from serious contention, this kind of situation screams (mini)-rebuild, IMO. I'm leaving politics out of the equation, obviously..

?-Backstrom-Kuz
?-MJ-Forsberg

Alzner-Carlson
?-Orlov

Holtby

+assets from Ovechkin, Green.. that's a damn nice set up for the future.

Old
Halpysback

Quote:
No, what absolves him is that he scored more goals than Semin. While playing in a trap. And he tripled Semin's playoff production. And he didn't get to play with Backstrom.
Yeah imagine how much he would have scored in our run and gun this year.

Old
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Your opinion, but the ancillary players have been rotated annually with no success. Maybe it's all the GM and no matter what until they pick up that one 4th line guy to put us over the top it's all an exercise in futility?

Wait, Kono was an agitator? LOL...riiiiiight.

I'm not discounting that McPhee should have done more, but to ignore the core players is foolishness. Those are the guys who get the most ice time and play in critical situations. When they succeed, they team usually succeeds. When they fail, the team fails.

I just don't believe that our successes or failures hinge on the bottom 6, the bottom pair D and another roster spot here or there...
How about hinging on 1RW, 2C and LW, 3C, the LD partner for Green, and the goalie? Those are some pretty key positions that have been in almost constant flux during the Ovechkin era.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
We all saw the value of that maxim under the Hanlon years.
I am saying you have to have a mix. And eventually, if you have more heart, it will win against skill.

2010 MTL is a perfect example. Beat 2 huge skill based teams in us and Pitt

Old
um

Quote:
Heart > skill.

lol you cant win the cup without someone scoring goals, and holy **** your suggesting MP not even doan

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
im starting to think you didn't even watch that series, and getting rid of semin because of something he did over 2 years ago makes little sense especially when hes been one of our best player in other series
So in other words, ignore the warts and focus only on the good stuff. That's called hiding your head in the sand.

Old
Halpysback

Quote:
Heart > skill.

Yeah we definitely lost because we didn't shot enough heart. If only we had 12 beagles out there. Hunter would have dragged us to the cup through 28 1-0 games. Cause that's how it works.

Old
BobRouse

Quote:
Doan wants a long-term contract with Phoenix. There's been nothing said about his contract demands of another team.

Doan can be absolved by watching his play. That dude would skate through a brick wall for his team in the playoffs.

I'm honestly befuddled as to why you, of all people, wouldn't see the value of a Shane Doan over an Alex Semin.
Because Doan is 35 and has a lot of mileage. He's been a very good player but father time catches up to all of us and sometimes suddenly. I don't think his contract demands will be less with another team..if anything he'd give the benefit of the doubt to Phoenix when it comes to contract stuff. With the amount of bidders for his services I'm sure he will get 5 years from someone and thats just stupid to me due to the CBA.

Semin is in his prime.

Neither player has had "team" playoff success for the simple fact that they haven't been part of teams that had a good "mix". Sure there are different "mix" problems with the respective teams but it hasn't been either players fault for the lack of team success.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:44 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Yeah imagine how much he would have scored in our run and gun this year.
More than Semin. Just like he did in Tippet's trap. And thrice more in the postseason.

That's the point. It's apples to apples.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
I am saying you have to have a mix. And eventually, if you have more heart, it will win against skill.

2010 MTL is a perfect example. Beat 2 huge skill based teams in us and Pitt
So I take it you really haven't watched us in these playoffs at all.

Nice false dichotomy on Semin having absolutely no heart though.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
More than Semin. Just like he did in Tippet's trap. And thrice more in the postseason.

That's the point. It's apples to apples.
Do you understand the difference between our trap and their trap by any chance?

HINT - their trap involved aggressive forechecking and pressuring the puck and 6-2 games galore.

Doan is one guy I really want us to get as well so we finally have a team that can go over the top, but it's funny how much people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that they won't to Semin even when Semin produces. Semin has better playoff stats than Doan, plays good defense and people are throwing him away as if he's Pavel Brendl.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Because Doan is 35 and has a lot of mileage. He's been a very good player but father time catches up to all of us and sometimes suddenly. I don't think his contract demands will be less with another team..if anything he'd give the benefit of the doubt to Phoenix when it comes to contract stuff. With the amount of bidders for his services I'm sure he will get 5 years from someone and thats just stupid to me due to the CBA.

Semin is in his prime.

Neither player has had "team" playoff success for the simple fact that they haven't been part of teams that had a good "mix". Sure there are different "mix" problems with the respective teams but it hasn't been either players fault for the lack of team success.
Doan is as invested in Phoenix as any player is in any NHL market. He's lived there for 16 years, his kids have lived nowhere else, and he and his wife run a successful horse farm.

I think it's very logical that he'd want a long-term deal there, but nowhere else, because he wouldn't want to uproot his family.

Signing a short-term deal in the East would give him a shot at a Cup and some cash without relocating his brood.

Old
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Im sure his motivation levels will be through the roof making less money than he has been the last few years. Great plan!
Honestly, I don't think Semin's motivation level is greatly affected by money. The way he leaves everything up to the agent, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't know exactly how much he's getting paid, lol.

If he wanted money first and foremost, and given everything he has to put up with here, he'd be in KHL already.

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
How about hinging on 1RW, 2C and LW, 3C, the LD partner for Green, and the goalie? Those are some pretty key positions that have been in almost constant flux during the Ovechkin era.
Sure, but you can't have $5mil+ players at every position. The Caps have their core of players and will constantly have to rotate around them. Especially when Ovy is taking up that much salary.

Other than 2C and 1LD, the Caps have had other capable guys. Kovloz and Flash put up good numbers in the top 6 for fill in guys.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Doan is as invested in Phoenix as any player is in any NHL market. He's lived there for 16 years, his kids have lived nowhere else, and he and his wife run a successful horse farm.

I think it's very logical that he'd want a long-term deal there, but nowhere else, because he wouldn't want to uproot his family.

Signing a short-term deal in the East would give him a shot at a Cup and some cash without relocating his brood.
It's much more logical that he takes a long-term deal with the Kings/Ducks/Sharks and maximizes his earning power while still staying close since he's not exactly gonna have this kind of income for the next 30 years.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:51 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Honestly, I don't think Semin's motivation level is greatly affected by money. The way he leaves everything up to the agent, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't know exactly how much he's getting paid, lol.

If he wanted money first and foremost, and given everything he has to put up with here, he'd be in KHL already.
Thats a good point.

Trying to solve that mystery of what exactly motivates him...well...I dont want to sit through that another year.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:54 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1225889

Closed Thread