HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What Nashville Needs to Do With Weber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2012, 12:58 PM
  #26
PoundCake
Go Bolts!
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,373
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
I agree that it does not have to be a 12 year contract just because those seem to be all the rage right now, but how short term would you go? 3-5 years? I'd bet everyone would do that. With one or two years though, you see where it is headed. Two years is giving you a reprieve at least, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I think you need a minimum of a 5 year commitment from Weber otherwise you're going through the same process again in 2/3 years time if you give him a shorter contract. Plus his trade value is probably going to be at it's highest now given he's just entering his prime.

3yrs@8mil? I doubt Weber would go for 5 if he isn't sure about Nashville. 3yrs is enough time to let things work themselves out and still give Weber plenty of career left to work with should he decide to leave. Honestly, at this point that's the best option for all parties involved (IMO).

PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:01 PM
  #27
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 15,425
vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I really don't think it is, I'm a Nucks fan.

He didn't grow up a canucks fan. The only ties he has to Vancouver is that he was born in BC. his gf is from kamloops, and that's pretty much it..
For what it's worth both Parise and Suter let their significant others have a significant amount of sway in determining where they would play.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:05 PM
  #28
Co Ho*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I really don't think it is, I'm a Nucks fan.

He didn't grow up a canucks fan. The only ties he has to Vancouver is that he was born in BC. his gf is from kamloops, and that's pretty much it..
He also said in an interview that he really enjoyed playing close to home during the Olympics.
And if I'm not mistaken, he's friends with Hamhuis.

Co Ho* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:12 PM
  #29
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
3yrs@8mil? I doubt Weber would go for 5 if he isn't sure about Nashville. 3yrs is enough time to let things work themselves out and still give Weber plenty of career left to work with should he decide to leave. Honestly, at this point that's the best option for all parties involved (IMO).
Pretty sure Poile would do that. He should try everything to not hand out a full NMC on any short term deal, because the two things Poile needs to avoid are mostly losing him to FA and creating a Nash type situation, but anything that gives NSH and Weber time to sort this out would be good.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:02 PM
  #30
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13TML13 View Post
It's a shame that the Predators' window of contention was so small. If they lose such a formidable top pairing it will be quite a set back which may take years to recover from.
It's a shame because it didn't have to be that way. I wonder what Philly or Pitt fans would have given up for Suter at the deadline last year. Then the Preds would have had something to build with (for the playoffs and the future), and Philly/Pitt would have had a Number 1 D-Man to help their porous back end.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:08 PM
  #31
Rapid eye movemenT
san.W.o.se sharks
 
Rapid eye movemenT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,412
vCash: 500
I'm going to fuel speculation a bit, but a guy from the Sharks board saw Weber with Doug Wilson in Los Gatos last night (LG is a rich suburb of San Jose).

Could be nothing. In fact it probably is. He could just be checking out his options and doing a west coast tour.

Just sayin'. He's here.

Rapid eye movemenT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
  #32
Anderson55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 500
Damn poor Nashville, i really feel bad for them, especially if they lose him

Anderson55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
  #33
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
It's a shame because it didn't have to be that way. I wonder what Philly or Pitt fans would have given up for Suter at the deadline last year. Then the Preds would have had something to build with (for the playoffs and the future), and Philly/Pitt would have had a Number 1 D-Man to help their porous back end.
So your suggestion to is close our window even sooner with even less of a guarantee that it will open up again?

If you trade Suter at the deadline, that tells your current group of players and fans that you don't believe in them. Weber likely immediately asks for a trade. Young guys wonder if this is the place for them; a place that gives up when the going gets tough. Doesn't sound like a winning formula to me.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:12 PM
  #34
Fastasaurus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saskatoon,Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Provided we can sign him to a big extension

Hamilton
Boychuk
Khoklachev
Caron
1st 2013

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
  #35
Iron Duke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Dimas, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,995
vCash: 500
I'm not sure a shorter term deal is really in the interests of the organization at this point. The last couple seasons have played out with the specter of Suter and Weber's future hanging over the team's head, and to draw that out further begins working to the detriment of the Preds, IMO. Get him to commit long-term, and if he won't, then deal him so we know what we are building around for the next 5 years.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
  #36
Fastasaurus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saskatoon,Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 562
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastasaurus View Post
Provided we can sign him to a big extension

Hamilton
Boychuk
Khoklachev
Caron
1st 2013
Something like 10 year 77 mil

Fastasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:14 PM
  #37
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
So your suggestion to is close our window even sooner with even less of a guarantee that it will open up again?

If you trade Suter at the deadline, that tells your current group of players and fans that you don't believe in them. Weber likely immediately asks for a trade. Young guys wonder if this is the place for them; a place that gives up when the going gets tough. Doesn't sound like a winning formula to me.
So you're saying we should sign Weber to a 1-year arbitrated deal and then lose him next year just to prove a stubborn point?

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
  #38
RandV
It's a wolf
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,603
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
It's a shame because it didn't have to be that way. I wonder what Philly or Pitt fans would have given up for Suter at the deadline last year. Then the Preds would have had something to build with (for the playoffs and the future), and Philly/Pitt would have had a Number 1 D-Man to help their porous back end.
If a player of Suter's caliber was available at the deadline, then wouldn't Nashville, being a contender themselves, be interested in paying the same price that Philly/Pittsburgh/whoever would? Selling a guy for rental value at the deadline doesn't really work if you're a playoff team.

This is where the Jordan Staal trade comes in and makes almost perfect sense for Nashville. You take a guy that is likely going to walk on you, but find the team he is likely to sign with and work out an actual player value trade. It's almost perfect because from a fan perspective at least we don't know what Weber is thinking. It was easy to predict that Staal wasn't content always being stuck behind Crosby and Malkin, and playing in Carolina with his brother was an obvious choice. We don't know what plans Weber has with Nashville at the moment or if he has a preferred UFA destination.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
  #39
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
So you're saying we should sign Weber to a 1-year arbitrated deal and then lose him next year just to prove a stubborn point?
Not really sure how you came to this conclusion, but no that is not what I would do.

Our window has basically already closed. It could open up again very soon if Weber re-signs and we smartly fill some holes. It will take a year or two though IMO.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
  #40
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Not really sure how you came to this conclusion, but no that is not what I would do.

Our window has basically already closed. It could open up again very soon if Weber re-signs and we smartly fill some holes. It will take a year or two though IMO.
But our window wouldn't have closed had we traded Suter for multiple pieces that would have helped our playoff run last year and would be able to help us in the future. Our window would still be open, and we'd have more to offer Weber than, "hey you're the man here, we REALLY REALLY REALLY want you to re-sign, pwetty pwetty pwease!"

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:37 PM
  #41
FeedingFrenzy
Registered User
 
FeedingFrenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,246
vCash: 500
I think if Weber wanted to be Pred a deal would have already been signed. Poile knows Weber wants out and is now looking for the best deal to be had with a limited number of teams in the mix. My guess is he will be signed then traded to the team he desires before the puck is droppped this year. Weber will stay in the WEST imo, going to Det,Van,SJ.

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:41 PM
  #42
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
But our window wouldn't have closed had we traded Suter for multiple pieces that would have helped our playoff run last year and would be able to help us in the future. Our window would still be open, and we'd have more to offer Weber than, "hey you're the man here, we REALLY REALLY REALLY want you to re-sign, pwetty pwetty pwease!"
I really disagree with this. The moment we trade Suter for futures the window immediately closes. You must not think too highly of Suter

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
  #43
Sureves
Registered User
 
Sureves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 6,611
vCash: 500
Very good article. Couldn't agree more.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
  #44
Spice Trader
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Victoria
Posts: 427
vCash: 500
Lets put aside Sheas BC roots and family interests.

Look at the team

The Sedins are 32 at the start of the season, they dont play a fast pased physical style so its fair to say they will be productive for 4-6 years. Degrading to dominant top line too dominant secod line.

You have kesler booth higgins hanson ect.. all the same age as shea.

You have a couple great goalies.

On D he will play with hamhuis (who he played well and might have been friends with)
He wont have to play 29 mins a night.

Van in recent history has been an ideal place to attract FA. Its a hockey mad market that you play home games in other buildings..

Its a well run orginazation that puts maximum interest in there players and community and is willing to spend any amount to win.

Van also has assets to trade back that could make the deal work and also cap space to sign him to a fai value deal.

I think Van will be in the mix. No other team has a better situation besides personal choices of Shea.. Travel players on the team.. city choice.. if he wants to be a star in the town or not..

Could philly or pitts get him 100% but so could Van.

Spice Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
  #45
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spice Trader View Post
Lets put aside Sheas BC roots and family interests.

Look at the team

The Sedins are 32 at the start of the season, they dont play a fast pased physical style so its fair to say they will be productive for 4-6 years. Degrading to dominant top line too dominant secod line.

You have kesler booth higgins hanson ect.. all the same age as shea.

You have a couple great goalies.

On D he will play with hamhuis (who he played well and might have been friends with)
He wont have to play 29 mins a night.

Van in recent history has been an ideal place to attract FA. Its a hockey mad market that you play home games in other buildings..

Its a well run orginazation that puts maximum interest in there players and community and is willing to spend any amount to win.

Van also has assets to trade back that could make the deal work and also cap space to sign him to a fai value deal.

I think Van will be in the mix. No other team has a better situation besides personal choices of Shea.. Travel players on the team.. city choice.. if he wants to be a star in the town or not..

Could philly or pitts get him 100% but so could Van.
You could say the same thing with a lot of other cities though. Rangers have a young core, Boston has a young core, Edmonton has a young core. All of these markets look attractive from a UFAs point of view. The nail in the coffin will be his actual desires of where he wants to play. Also his wife could tell them she wants to live in Florida and they sign with Tampa Bay(just throwing it out there.) Too much speculation.

For all we know he could very well stay in Nashville on a one year deal they catch fire, Nashville offers the moon to a UFA at the deadline and they go on a cup run.

The one thing we need to know is if he wants out or not. Him not signing yet, is a good indication that they could go to arbitration again and he elects a one year deal again.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:06 PM
  #46
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,074
vCash: 500
Weber and Hamhuis didn't play together much...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
  #47
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
You could say the same thing with a lot of other cities though. Rangers have a young core, Boston has a young core, Edmonton has a young core. All of these markets look attractive from a UFAs point of view. The nail in the coffin will be his actual desires of where he wants to play. Also his wife could tell them she wants to live in Florida and they sign with Tampa Bay(just throwing it out there.) Too much speculation.

For all we know he could very well stay in Nashville on a one year deal they catch fire, Nashville offers the moon to a UFA at the deadline and they go on a cup run.

The one thing we need to know is if he wants out or not. Him not signing yet, is a good indication that they could go to arbitration again and he elects a one year deal again.
he did not file for arbitration and the Predators can't file...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
  #48
KISSland
Registered User
 
KISSland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
he did not file for arbitration and the Predators can't file...
My mistake. Thanks.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:17 PM
  #49
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!
 
TorstenFrings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
I think if Weber wanted to be Pred a deal would have already been signed. Poile knows Weber wants out and is now looking for the best deal to be had with a limited number of teams in the mix. My guess is he will be signed then traded to the team he desires before the puck is droppped this year. Weber will stay in the WEST imo, going to Det,Van,SJ.
I got an honest question about this. What's the deal with everyone expecting that Suter and/or now Weber want to stay in the west as in the Western Conference?
I understand those saying Doan will probably look at geographically southwestern teams, because he likes the landscape and lifestyle and feels at home there, but once you move to Detroit what difference do Boston, Buffalo or Ottawa really make?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:27 PM
  #50
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor
 
ThirdManIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 42,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid eye movemenT View Post
I'm going to fuel speculation a bit, but a guy from the Sharks board saw Weber with Doug Wilson in Los Gatos last night (LG is a rich suburb of San Jose).

Could be nothing. In fact it probably is. He could just be checking out his options and doing a west coast tour.

Just sayin'. He's here.
Forgive me if I'm skeptical of what posters on HF Boards claim, but until I see a picture, a video, or a comment from someone credible I'm not even going to believe he is in San Jose at all, much less hanging out with Wilson.

People in Nashville saw Radulov at the airport every summer since 2008. Just sayin'. He wasn't here (and when he was, everyone knew it)

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.