HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Alex Semin - Plan B

Old
07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
But what are the odds most of those guys made it to UFA status?
Well it's a risk you'd have to take. We got our big fish in Gaborik, but the year after Kovalchuk tested free agency and we couldn't get him because of Gabby's contract. I like the look of next years free agency class and I'd wait to sign a stud player like Getzlaf/Perry rather than take chances with an enigmatic winger in Semin or risking 35+ contract with Doan.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:39 PM
dtrap

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Well it's a risk you'd have to take. We got our big fish in Gaborik, but the year after Kovalchuk tested free agency and we couldn't get him because of Gabby's contract. I like the look of next years free agency class and I'd wait to sign a stud player like Getzlaf/Perry rather than take chances with an enigmatic winger in Semin or risking 35+ contract with Doan.
While I totally agree, I also think you can only spend so much time worrying about a year from now.

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
While I totally agree, I also think you can only spend so much time worrying about a year from now.
We have the assets and we can pry for a rental at the trade deadline.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

The only thing you can hope for is Semin pulling a Rocky IV and comes back determined as ever to prove the critics wrong. Pierre Jerry Maguire called him a "coach killer".

Yeah, uh, no Pierre. Which coach did he kill? Glen Hanlon? Boudreau lost the entire room, not just Semin.

Kovalev was the first Semin. It took him almost a decade to realize his potential. Then he forgot it again, and found it 5 years later. Then he lost it for good.

Sign Semin for a year or two. Maybe.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Err.. what? 20 goal power-forwards don't belong in our top-six?

This is the first time in the last 5 years that Getzlaf hasn't scored at a PPG or better pace. You'd be absolutely insane if you didn't jump at the chance to land him.
No? You've become complacent with our subpar offensive lines we put out there. 20 goal players belong on the 3rd line.

As for Getzlaf, i'd rather not trade young assets for him when he looked like garbage all of last year. If he comes cheap then I'd take a chance on him but i'm not looking to invest 8 mill in him or trade good assets unless he proves that he is not going downhill.

We already have a 1st and 2nd line center too.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:45 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
No? You've become complacent with our subpar offensive lines we put out there. 20 goal players belong on the 3rd line.

As for Getzlaf, i'd rather not trade young assets for him when he looked like garbage all of last year. If he comes cheap then I'd take a chance on him but i'm not looking to invest 8 mill in him or trade good assets unless he proves that he is not going downhill.

Only 101 forwards scored 20 or more goals last season. With 30 teams and 3 players per top line that means that a lot of 1st liners were 20-25 goal guys...so no...20 goal players do not play on the third line. This isn't 1993 anymore.

In fact only 30 forwards scored 30 goals last year. So on average each team has 1 guy who is a 30 goal scorer. And even that is skewed because of those 30 guys, two play for the Pens, two play for the Sens, three for the Sharks, three for the Devils, two for the Ducks, and two for the Habs. So really...in fact...most teams don't even have a 30 goal guy.

Last edited by dtrap: 07-06-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:

You hear that, Pavel Datsyuk? You and your 19 goals can go RIGHT TO THE THIRD LINE.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:52 PM
dtrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
You hear that, Pavel Datsyuk? You and your 19 goals can go RIGHT TO THE THIRD LINE.
Perfect example.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:54 PM
dtrap

Ryan Callahan was tied for 31st with 29 goals and people want to put him on the third line.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Ryan Callahan was tied for 31st with 29 goals and people want to put him on the third line.
Gaborik was third in the league and people want to trade him.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Couldn't hide a big smile when this was posted

Amazing Kreiderman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
LordsCup*

Semin is not taking short term.

He knows this is his pay day and hes the last big scorer left on market.

He will get at the very least a 5 year contract for probably around 5.5M.

Hes not risking the chance at a one year deal then getting injured next season and having no team come anywhere near giving him that type of contract again.

These players/agents arent dumb. He will get his big contract this summer.

LordsCup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
On this team he'd have to beat out Brian mother ****ing Boyle or he's going straight to the 4th with Asham and Haley.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:40 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Just give him a 5-year 30 mln. contract. 6 million a year is a lot of money, but Semin is the missing piece for our 1st line and it's better than paying 7 million a year for Nash and losing 3 roster players in the process while trading for Nash

Old
07-07-2012, 09:53 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
I think you're seriously overestimating how many 20 goal scorers there are in the league. You're confusing "complacent" with "realistic."

Quote:

1 year does not make a career. If you can get Getzlaf for a good price, you simply bump the center depth down. In all likelihood, we'd be sending a center back in the deal to begin with.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Superstar Carwash

Quote:
Best post I've seen in a loooooong time. But come on... third line? That's for 20 goal scorers! He'd be lucky if we'd put him on the 4th line!

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:38 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKL889 View Post
Semin is not taking short term.

He knows this is his pay day and hes the last big scorer left on market.

He will get at the very least a 5 year contract for probably around 5.5M.

Hes not risking the chance at a one year deal then getting injured next season and having no team come anywhere near giving him that type of contract again.

These players/agents arent dumb. He will get his big contract this summer.
If as you say the number is 5.5 (some say 6 or higher), then offering him 7.5 or even 8 FOR ONLY ONE YEAR is enough for him to think about it.

Yeah, he's passing on the bird in the hand and risking injury, but he is also setting up for real possibility to make the case he deserves TOP $$$$ --- if he can put up large numbers for us this year.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:40 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Kreiderman View Post
Just give him a 5-year 30 mln. contract. 6 million a year is a lot of money, but Semin is the missing piece for our 1st line and it's better than paying 7 million a year for Nash and losing 3 roster players in the process while trading for Nash
Trading for Nash even with 2 roster players is alot better than giving Semin 5 years!

Lundsanity30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:42 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
If as you say the number is 5.5 (some say 6 or higher), then offering him 7.5 or even 8 FOR ONLY ONE YEAR is enough for him to think about it.

Yeah, he's passing on the bird in the hand and risking injury, but he is also setting up for real possibility to make the case he deserves TOP $$$$ --- if he can put up large numbers for us this year.
The only thing about a 1 year deal in Semin's case is that next years crop of UFA's could be very good IF those players make it to July 1st. Which means he wont be the most coveted free agent. He could #5 on the list. Could end up making around $6 million or less depending on what the market value is determined to be by others

RGY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:00 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
people get way too caught up in the labels and line #s...ideally we'll have 2 2nd lines how you order them doesn't really matter.

to me listing callahan with dubinsky and anisimov instead of kreider and stepan has NOTHING to do with thinking cally should be on the '3rd line' and EVERYTHING to do with the fact that he has chemistry with those 2 guys and letting THEM play with cally gives you the best chance of them having bounce back years without hurting cally's performance

obviously if dubi and artie end up in columbus then its a non-issue but i think the odds of dubi having a bounce back year increase greatly if he gets to play with cally what # you label that line doesn't really matter...but the pack line or a hagelin-dubinsky-callahan line would probably be used against the other teams top line and get as much or more ice time than stepan's line and for arguments sake could be called the 2nd line if you like

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Is it 1996 again and no one told me?

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundsanity30 View Post
Trading for Nash even with 2 roster players is alot better than giving Semin 5 years!
Really? I think getting Semin in stead of Nash is just as good with the upside that you don't lose valuable talents and roster players. Semin is 28 and has a lot of talent, is versatile and has experience. He even has play-off experience, something that Nash desperately lacks.

Old
07-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Vitto79

Why is semin taking so long?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:40 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Why is semin taking so long?
Waiting on Nash and Ryan to go. I could see a one year deal with the Pens.

07-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Waiting on Nash and Ryan to go. I could see a one year deal with the Pens.
He can't be waiting on a trade that will never happen

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote