HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Free Agency IV (The Mattieuw Purrettu Super Sized Edition)

Old
07-06-2012, 03:15 PM
aquablue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibi View Post
Semin is the type of player that make you interested in the sport, it is just sad to see that grinding all game long is deemed more effective nowadays.
I agree, it seems people are content to watch dull grinding hockey rather than artful skill.

aquablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I agree, it seems people are content to watch dull grinding hockey rather than artful skill.
I'm content with watching winning hockey. I don't give a **** if it's dull and boring or artful and skillful.

Is that what this is about for you?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Wouldn't that be Ovechkin?
Haha, not bad. He was indeed meant to be the one to restore the balance, but years of off-season debauchery on planet Moscow and a tragic defeat in the Vancouver constellation may have loosened his focus and made him susceptible to his inner demons.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
Ibi

Quote:
I'm content with watching winning hockey. I don't give a **** if it's dull and boring or artful and skillful.

I presume you watch hockey for entertainment, so do you watch no other games than Caps games?

Ibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
aquablue

Quote:

I want to enjoy the game, yes. If hockey is all grinding and dull, I'm skipping to a more interesting sport. Oh, and fighting and grinding is boring. NHL to FULL SIZE ICE AND BAN FIGHTING NOW!

Old
07-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Halpysback

Well if Semin is let go without a good replacement you can watch a lot more winning hockey played out by opposing teams.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Wouldn't that be Ovechkin?
"A prophecy that misread, could have been." - Yoda

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
I want to enjoy the game, yes. If hockey is all grinding and dull, I'm skipping to a more interesting sport. Oh, and fighting and grinding is boring. NHL to FULL SIZE ICE AND BAN FIGHTING NOW!
They should also switch from pants to skirts.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Haha, not bad. He was indeed meant to be the one to restore the balance, but years of off-season debauchery on planet Moscow and a tragic defeat in the Vancouver constellation may have loosened his focus and made him susceptible to his inner demons.
He needs to seek the counsel of an old sage--one schooled in the ways of unlocking the magic of the goal.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
thewill78

What would you guys think about a trade with Minny for Setoguchi? They have alot of top 6 guys and have prospect coming this year that will challenge for a spot and aren't really that deep on D. Plus there have been some rumors he'd be shopped. Schultz+draft pick? Need more?

thewill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
They should also switch from pants to skirts.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:22 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I presume you watch hockey for entertainment, so do you watch no other games than Caps games?
I watch plenty of other hockey. I loved watching the Kings (and the Devils in the East) machine chew up every team with their forecheck and cycle.

My though wasn't: "Oh how I wish they played prettier". It was "Oh how I wish the Caps could do that".

Old
07-06-2012, 03:23 PM
aquablue

What is wrong with Twitter, it's pathetic. Full of idiots making false signing announcements about Semin, false rumours, idiotic attention grabbing statements. Really, worthless to watch the stream, totally a waste of time.

There are a lot of idiots out there, twitter will show you. What type of person needs to make these announcements that a player has signed when it is false?

Old
07-06-2012, 03:24 PM
artilector

Quote:
Semin is the type of player that make you interested in the sport, it is just sad to see that grinding all game long is deemed more effective nowadays.
Well if you watched that interview with C.Johansson on Caps video, he said exactly that -- he fears that size & speed of today's players is making creativity secondary.

And I agree with that -- I can't really watch non-Game-7 playoff hockey that doesn't involve the Caps, even other teams that I like, while there's a ton of sports where I can thoroughly enjoy pretty random games.

What's interesting is that soccer also seemed to me headed that way somewhat, and suddenly Barcelona & Spain arrived and changed everything. Though it's hard to see a comparable phenomenon come about in hockey..

Old
07-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
What is wrong with Twitter, it's pathetic. Full of idiots making false signing announcements about Semin, false rumours, idiotic attention grabbing statements. Really, worthless to watch the stream, totally a waste of time.

There are a lot of idiots out there, twitter will show you. What type of person needs to make these announcements that a player has signed when it is false?
Follow the right people.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I think they should take blocking and tackling out of football, too. Who wants to watch that grunt work with all the skill we could see?!

7-on-7 flag football would change the No Fun League into the Neverbeenmore Fun League!

Old
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by artilector View Post
Well if you watched that interview with C.Johansson on Caps video, he said exactly that -- he fears that size & speed of today's players is making creativity secondary.

And I agree with that -- I can't really watch non-Game-7 playoff hockey that doesn't involve the Caps, even other teams that I like, while there's a ton of sports where I can thoroughly enjoy pretty random games.

What's interesting is that soccer also seemed to me headed that way somewhat, and suddenly Barcelona & Spain arrived and changed everything. Though it's hard to see a comparable phenomenon come about in hockey..
There are too few teams that have real creativity in hockey anymore. The ice should be enlarged, the game is far more fun to watch on the big ice. Hits are overrated. Skill/passing is more thrilling IMO.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:27 PM
artilector

Quote:
I watch plenty of other hockey. I loved watching the Kings (and the Devils in the East) machine chew up every team with their forecheck and cycle.

My though wasn't: "Oh how I wish they played prettier". It was "Oh how I wish the Caps could do that".
At this point I say the same thing.. and then in 5 minutes I switch the channel

Old
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'm with you on that one...the playoffs were like watching 16 teams playing the same cloned style. It was painful much of the time. Worst part was seeing (usually) a single breakdown lead to a goal and it was like squeezing wine from a rock trying to get another single goal.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Follow the right people.
I'm just learning how. Oh, and people can be stupid. It's a pity the internet is abused by jokers trying to attract people to their rumour accounts.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:34 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
He needs to seek the counsel of an old sage--one schooled in the ways of unlocking the magic of the goal.

I thought Oates reminded me of someone in this picture.

He truely is a Master! Chiun lives!

On second thought, how about this Master?

Guess what I am trying to say, Oates reminds me of Joel Grey.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:38 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

On the grinding/cycling issue--hockey is a game of trends. The success of that style will likely force coaches to put more emphasis on puck movement out of the defensive zone. A quick, crisp, and creative transition game will be the next big thing, especially now that PPs are becoming less common (and thus less important).

Guy Carbonneau for assistant coach!

Old
07-06-2012, 03:39 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Let me stir the pot and say I think Semin plays with heart. I have long said he is one of our scrappier forwards, admitted not tough with our feeble crew.

Most folks laugh at the bongo unpleasantness, but the guy competes. When is the last time you saw a scoring forward of ours fly off the handle?

I am sure all Caps fans remember he said enough was enough in the Flyers series. He was a warrior, and I think turned that series around.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Capitlols

Carbonneau would be awesome.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:43 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
+assets from Ovechkin, Green.. that's a damn nice set up for the future.
that would be the step to become the crapitals again. do u realize that if ovechkin for whatever reason can not come back to his old mvp days the rest of the team wont come back either. sure u could trade him and start from scratch but like i said that would be the crapital move.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote