HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Feaster is not one of the worst gm's!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2012, 11:44 AM
  #101
medhatcanuck
Registered User
 
medhatcanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Inside JayZ's Belly
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
@Dopeyfish
Uh sure Burke had to clean up JFJ mess and that's a hard thing to do, however feaster has had the same problem having to come in and clean up sutters mess. Our line up also gets more respectful each year I believe and why not use the leafs not making the playoffs as a yard stick for Burke? People seem to fine doing it for featser. If you look at the lineup when sutter was here:
Cammalerri,conroy iginla
Glencross,Langow,bourque
Dawes,Lombardi,bertuzzi
Nystrom Boyd moss

Regehr,phanuef
Giordano,sarich
Pardy, aucoin

And our line-up now;
Tanguay,Cammalerri,iginla
Glencross,cervenka,hudler
Bartchi,backlund,stempniak
Comeau,stajan,jackman

Butler,bouwmeester
Giordano,wideman
Brodie,sarich

I believe not only has feaster injected some youth in our lineup but he has made it a more respectiful team (IMO)
Jeez. Put it back where it came from that is one ugly ass line up. I lived in Calgary for 5 years and have watched many a flames game and had guessed theyd be a playoff team. Unless feaster trades iggy and kipp, u guys r in some serious trouble.

I always thought Calgary would be pretty competitive but, I'm guessing lottery this year, and for the forsraable future, unless a rebuild or miracle is near.

medhatcanuck is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 11:52 AM
  #102
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
He turned a team on the verge of winning a Stanley Cup into a team on the bubble, but with a future. Only in HF do you ignore the fact that those guys he moved for younger cheaper players just hoisted a Stanley Cup!

Measure his big moves and the results. Signed Pronger to a massive contract knowing the risk factors. Massive mistake. Let Pronger rip the team apart and force him to trade his core forwards. Massive mistake. Signed a questionable goaltender to a huge contract. Massive mistake. Holmgren gets cut a lot of slack because of the love this site has for young players, but the results are pretty obvious. The Flyers were a team on the verge of a Stanley Cup with a couple of tweaks. He burned it to the ground and tried a massive retooling to keep an aging defenseman happy and it blew up in his face. Holmgren is a fool and the proof is etched on the Stanley Cup.

But then again, he's probably "building something special up there" just like the Oilers.
They won said cup with a guy who couldn't do anything in Calgary. All Sutter did was turn them into a dominant team that went on one of the craziest runs in NHL history to win the Cup. Bet that stings to know your ex-head coach had what it takes to bring in the Stanley Cup home while crushing 4 of the top teams in the league.

Back to Holmgrem, Hes set his team up to be a top team for the next 15 years. Despite their goaltending and Pronger-less defense, they'll still likely be a top 5 team for as long as they want to be.

Mowzie is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
  #103
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,932
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=oilwave;52216183]I'm not saying that the oilers havent been an atrocious hockey team the past three years. I'm just saying tambo's mandate from Katz and honestly the entire Edmonton community has been to tank as hard as he can. And thats exactly what he's done, and now we have a much brighter future than when he got here. Is it possible tambo is worse than feaster? For sure we just can't judge him on success yet because his job wasn't to be successful, it was to lose, which hes done.[/QUOTE]

If that was his job they could have hired me for half the price. I could have lost just as well as he did. Maybe even better.

vanwest is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 12:52 PM
  #104
Flamesarmstrong22
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
@ mowsie

It didn't sting at all to see sutter win the cup, in fact I was happy for him that he won it and no one in Calgary ever doubted he wasnt a good coach (remember he was the coach who coached us to the cup final in 04) it was when he focused on being our gm he was awful. Awful gm, but he always was a good coach.

Flamesarmstrong22 is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
  #105
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,529
vCash: 50
I don't know what you guys are talking about...he brought in Blair Jones!!!

He was able to re-sign Blair Jones as well recently and for a team trying to Blair Jones make the playoffs, Blair Jones is going to be a key player competing in a tough Blair Jones Western Conference.

Did I mention....Blair Jones???


Bender is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
  #106
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone
 
GuillaumeLetsundress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,299
vCash: 500
Leave Brittney ALONE!!

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
  #107
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,659
vCash: 500
Three worst GM's in the league: (in no particular order)

Feaster
Snow (although he may just be a puppet)
Howson

Tallon climbed his way off that list with a surprisingly decent season for the Panthers.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:00 PM
  #108
SaskOil*
u mad
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saskabush
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 500
Feasted is the worst gm in the league.

SaskOil* is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:03 PM
  #109
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9
 
ScoreZeGoals's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
inb4Howson

But OP is listing moves that have potential...potential means jack if it doesn't lead to playoffs.
Howson is to be expected. The thing is I think anyone would have a hard time coming up with 5 GM's that are worse, which easily makes Feester one of the worst in the league

ScoreZeGoals is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
  #110
JohnnyGoodDro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Howson is to be expected. The thing is I think anyone would have a hard time coming up with 5 GM's that are worse, which easily makes Feester one of the worst in the league
burke
howson
bergevin
garth snow
bob murray
greg sherman
steve tambelini

off top that im sure of

JohnnyGoodDro is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
  #111
HooliganX2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
burke
howson
bergevin
garth snow
bob murray
greg sherman
steve tambelini

off top that im sure of
I kind of get tired of seeing people put Snow as one of the worst he has horrible limitations by his owner. Any GM would have a tough time working for the NYI. Snow really hasn't made any overly terrible deals.

I kind of think Feaster is in a similar tough position of having an ownership group that doesn't want to rebuild.

HooliganX2 is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
  #112
Johnny Hoxville
Moderator
Dust Buster
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,493
vCash: 2403
Peoples only argument for saying that Feaster is one of the worst GM's is that he hasn't done a burn it to the ground rebuild. Being that the owners hired him, and have almost for certain told him that Iginla and Kipper cannot be traded, he has actually done a very good job and very few people in Calgary feel that he is a poor GM.

So if your argument is that Feaster is a horrible GM because he has NOT initiated a rebuild, then thats your opinion but I would say you are incorrect.

Johnny Hoxville is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
  #113
Clamshells
Registered User
 
Clamshells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,327
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwave View Post
I'm not saying that the oilers havent been an atrocious hockey team the past three years. I'm just saying tambo's mandate from Katz and honestly the entire Edmonton community has been to tank as hard as he can. And thats exactly what he's done, and now we have a much brighter future than when he got here. Is it possible tambo is worse than feaster? For sure we just can't judge him on success yet because his job wasn't to be successful, it was to lose, which hes done.
If Feaster is getting judged because the owners won't let him rebuild, Tambo is going to get judged because the owners won't let him win.

A good GM doesn't need to rely on lottery picks to rebuild a team.

Clamshells is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
  #114
bigfatfist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 552
vCash: 500
I don't get this thread (or why it's in this forum).

But, it's WAY too early to pass judgement on Feaster - or use his drafting record to support him. LOL at calling Bartschi the steal of the draft before 90% of the players have even played yet!

bigfatfist is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 02:58 PM
  #115
Spokestick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
burke
howson
bergevin
garth snow
bob murray
greg sherman
steve tambelini

off top that im sure of
Seriously, Bergevin? He's been a GM for all of two (by all accounts successful) months and you're already certain he's a worse GM than Feaster?

Spokestick is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 03:05 PM
  #116
blankall
Registered User
 
blankall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
I don't get this thread (or why it's in this forum).

But, it's WAY too early to pass judgement on Feaster - or use his drafting record to support him. LOL at calling Bartschi the steal of the draft before 90% of the players have even played yet!

Not sure why this is in this forum either.

It's obviously too early to judge the 2011 draft for the long run. However, if you were to redo the draft today, Baetschi would probably go around #5.

http://*******************/articles/...2012-nhl-draft

Blearcher report has him ranked as 14th in the NHL, but that includes players from all recent draft years. There are really no other players from the 2011 draft who have moved up that quickly in their rankings. Sven may not be "the steal", but at 13, looks like a steal. The Flames essentially got a top prospect without having to tank to get it.

Given that Feaster managed to accomplish getting a tanking pick, without actually tanking, I'd say that's pretty solid GM work. The owners are not allowing a tank, so you can't judge him on that.

blankall is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
  #117
Fastasaurus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Saskatoon,Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 613
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Three worst GM's in the league: (in no particular order)

Feaster
Snow (although he may just be a puppet)
Howson

Tallon climbed his way off that list with a surprisingly decent season for the Panthers.
How was Tallon ever on that list? He was the architect of the Hawks team that won the cup!

Fastasaurus is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 03:40 PM
  #118
number72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,893
vCash: 500
As bad as Feaster is and he is, the team have been close to making the playoffs.
Burke and some of these other teams have never iced a "competitive" bubble team.

For that reason I remove Feaster from worst GM list (but he is still pretty bad nonetheless)

number72 is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
  #119
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,699
vCash: 500
I tought for long that Sather was the worst GM in the league, then he took my mighty Habs, bended them over the table and had his ways with them. So never be too sure about your GMs ratings.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 05:22 PM
  #120
Jamin
Registered User
 
Jamin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshells View Post
If Feaster is getting judged because the owners won't let him rebuild, Tambo is going to get judged because the owners won't let him win.

A good GM doesn't need to rely on lottery picks to rebuild a team.
Since your so uninformed check where edmonton's farm team finished. Then check where it finished the year before Tambellini and since every lottery pick is on the main team he must have rebuild with depth picks and signings.

Also feaster isnt being judge because owners wont let him rebuild. That is flame fans excuse for his performance. So it seems hypocritical to say well ownership wont let him rebuild and then slag Tambellini when ownership forced the team into a rebuild.

There was a post on page 1 or 2 and it said you cant judge just the standings. Is the team currently better after the new gm took over or worse. Or is the team have a better future.

Edmonton has gotten worse in the standings and has a better future. Calgary has gotten worse in the standings and still has a relatively bare prospect pool compared to most teams

Jamin is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 05:40 PM
  #121
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 8,234
vCash: 500
Listening to Feaster on NHL Live yesterday was an exercise in head-scratching:

- In explaining his free agent strategy this summer, he recounted the Flames pitch to Brad Richards last summer. According to Feaster, Richards had to "give pause" in considering the Rangers or other offers after listening to the Flames offer. Feaster characterized that the Flames were the runner-up to getting Richards - which sounded like a huge stretch IMO.

- Feaster then said that, rather than put all their energies into going after the top free agents like Parise and Suter, they decided to chase hard the "next best players". He viewed Hudler as the 2nd best after Parise amongst UFA forwards and Wideman the 2nd best defenseman behind Suter.


Sabretip is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 06:00 PM
  #122
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable
 
InfinityIggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,754
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
@ mowsie

It didn't sting at all to see sutter win the cup, in fact I was happy for him that he won it and no one in Calgary ever doubted he wasnt a good coach (remember he was the coach who coached us to the cup final in 04) it was when he focused on being our gm he was awful. Awful gm, but he always was a good coach.
This.

InfinityIggy is online now  
Old
07-06-2012, 07:23 PM
  #123
belair
Registered User
 
belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
I think not trading Kipper and Iginla are good moves.

Generally, its hard to trade away the best players in the deal and "win" it.


Can't really judge Feaster on this year's offseason moves until we see how they do in the regular season. Draft picks are undetermined until they play in the NHL.
I don't agree with this at all.

So you're saying that keeping Jerome Iginla and Miika Kiprusoff for the remainder of their careers are good moves simply because the Flames are unlikely to get the better end of a deal?

Say these players play three more seasons in Calgary prior to retiring. In those years they bring zero championships to Calgary.

So both retire having not won a single championship in their respective careers and both retire obviously leaving two gaping holes in Calgary's line-up once they are gone.

Do you not think Iginla could've helped the LA Kings this past spring? Or the Bruins the season before? And while you may not have won the deal, you can still say that Jerome Iginla won a Stanley Cup in his career. And you can do so while adding some valuable (albeit less-valuable as he gets closer to retirement) assets in return for his services.

If the playoffs are a faint hope at the deadline every year, Jay Feaster is shooting the Calgary Flames in the foot holding on to his hand and waiting until the next season. That isn't a sign of a good General Manager.

belair is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 07:41 PM
  #124
oil4life14
Registered User
 
oil4life14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
so jealous right now wish we had a gm that would trade down in the draft and take a guy that is rated to go late 2nd round Why didn't tambo think of that?

oil4life14 is offline  
Old
07-06-2012, 07:54 PM
  #125
Whoyawit*
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 130
vCash: 500
Feaster used to be a decent GM.
Won a cup, ate his weight in chicken wings, got fired, hit his head, came to Calgary, is now the only employee in the Flames organization that dosn't have a NTC.
He's desperate to do something and is doing a great job at securing the fact that the Flames will not be winning any meaningful hockey games for years to come.
Congratulations!!

Whoyawit* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.