HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Feaster is not one of the worst gm's!

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 11:44 AM
medhatcanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
@Dopeyfish
Uh sure Burke had to clean up JFJ mess and that's a hard thing to do, however feaster has had the same problem having to come in and clean up sutters mess. Our line up also gets more respectful each year I believe and why not use the leafs not making the playoffs as a yard stick for Burke? People seem to fine doing it for featser. If you look at the lineup when sutter was here:
Cammalerri,conroy iginla
Glencross,Langow,bourque
Dawes,Lombardi,bertuzzi
Nystrom Boyd moss

Regehr,phanuef
Giordano,sarich
Pardy, aucoin

And our line-up now;
Tanguay,Cammalerri,iginla
Glencross,cervenka,hudler
Bartchi,backlund,stempniak
Comeau,stajan,jackman

Butler,bouwmeester
Giordano,wideman
Brodie,sarich

I believe not only has feaster injected some youth in our lineup but he has made it a more respectiful team (IMO)
Jeez. Put it back where it came from that is one ugly ass line up. I lived in Calgary for 5 years and have watched many a flames game and had guessed theyd be a playoff team. Unless feaster trades iggy and kipp, u guys r in some serious trouble.

I always thought Calgary would be pretty competitive but, I'm guessing lottery this year, and for the forsraable future, unless a rebuild or miracle is near.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:52 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
He turned a team on the verge of winning a Stanley Cup into a team on the bubble, but with a future. Only in HF do you ignore the fact that those guys he moved for younger cheaper players just hoisted a Stanley Cup!

Measure his big moves and the results. Signed Pronger to a massive contract knowing the risk factors. Massive mistake. Let Pronger rip the team apart and force him to trade his core forwards. Massive mistake. Signed a questionable goaltender to a huge contract. Massive mistake. Holmgren gets cut a lot of slack because of the love this site has for young players, but the results are pretty obvious. The Flyers were a team on the verge of a Stanley Cup with a couple of tweaks. He burned it to the ground and tried a massive retooling to keep an aging defenseman happy and it blew up in his face. Holmgren is a fool and the proof is etched on the Stanley Cup.

But then again, he's probably "building something special up there" just like the Oilers.
They won said cup with a guy who couldn't do anything in Calgary. All Sutter did was turn them into a dominant team that went on one of the craziest runs in NHL history to win the Cup. Bet that stings to know your ex-head coach had what it takes to bring in the Stanley Cup home while crushing 4 of the top teams in the league.

Back to Holmgrem, Hes set his team up to be a top team for the next 15 years. Despite their goaltending and Pronger-less defense, they'll still likely be a top 5 team for as long as they want to be.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
vanwest

[QUOTE=oilwave;52216183]I'm not saying that the oilers havent been an atrocious hockey team the past three years. I'm just saying tambo's mandate from Katz and honestly the entire Edmonton community has been to tank as hard as he can. And thats exactly what he's done, and now we have a much brighter future than when he got here. Is it possible tambo is worse than feaster? For sure we just can't judge him on success yet because his job wasn't to be successful, it was to lose, which hes done.[/QUOTE]

If that was his job they could have hired me for half the price. I could have lost just as well as he did. Maybe even better.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Flamesarmstrong22

@ mowsie

It didn't sting at all to see sutter win the cup, in fact I was happy for him that he won it and no one in Calgary ever doubted he wasnt a good coach (remember he was the coach who coached us to the cup final in 04) it was when he focused on being our gm he was awful. Awful gm, but he always was a good coach.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 50
I don't know what you guys are talking about...he brought in Blair Jones!!!

He was able to re-sign Blair Jones as well recently and for a team trying to Blair Jones make the playoffs, Blair Jones is going to be a key player competing in a tough Blair Jones Western Conference.

Did I mention....Blair Jones???

Old
07-06-2012, 01:44 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Leave Brittney ALONE!!

Old
07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Go Herbvat

Three worst GM's in the league: (in no particular order)

Feaster
Snow (although he may just be a puppet)
Howson

Tallon climbed his way off that list with a surprisingly decent season for the Panthers.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:00 PM
SaskOil*
u mad

Feasted is the worst gm in the league.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:03 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
inb4Howson

But OP is listing moves that have potential...potential means jack if it doesn't lead to playoffs.
Howson is to be expected. The thing is I think anyone would have a hard time coming up with 5 GM's that are worse, which easily makes Feester one of the worst in the league

Old
07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
JohnnyGoodDro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Howson is to be expected. The thing is I think anyone would have a hard time coming up with 5 GM's that are worse, which easily makes Feester one of the worst in the league
burke
howson
bergevin
garth snow
bob murray
greg sherman
steve tambelini

off top that im sure of

Old
07-06-2012, 02:23 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
burke
howson
bergevin
garth snow
bob murray
greg sherman
steve tambelini

off top that im sure of
I kind of get tired of seeing people put Snow as one of the worst he has horrible limitations by his owner. Any GM would have a tough time working for the NYI. Snow really hasn't made any overly terrible deals.

I kind of think Feaster is in a similar tough position of having an ownership group that doesn't want to rebuild.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Peoples only argument for saying that Feaster is one of the worst GM's is that he hasn't done a burn it to the ground rebuild. Being that the owners hired him, and have almost for certain told him that Iginla and Kipper cannot be traded, he has actually done a very good job and very few people in Calgary feel that he is a poor GM.

So if your argument is that Feaster is a horrible GM because he has NOT initiated a rebuild, then thats your opinion but I would say you are incorrect.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Clamshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwave View Post
I'm not saying that the oilers havent been an atrocious hockey team the past three years. I'm just saying tambo's mandate from Katz and honestly the entire Edmonton community has been to tank as hard as he can. And thats exactly what he's done, and now we have a much brighter future than when he got here. Is it possible tambo is worse than feaster? For sure we just can't judge him on success yet because his job wasn't to be successful, it was to lose, which hes done.
If Feaster is getting judged because the owners won't let him rebuild, Tambo is going to get judged because the owners won't let him win.

A good GM doesn't need to rely on lottery picks to rebuild a team.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:31 PM
bigfatfist

I don't get this thread (or why it's in this forum).

But, it's WAY too early to pass judgement on Feaster - or use his drafting record to support him. LOL at calling Bartschi the steal of the draft before 90% of the players have even played yet!

Old
07-06-2012, 02:58 PM
Spokestick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haatley View Post
burke
howson
bergevin
garth snow
bob murray
greg sherman
steve tambelini

off top that im sure of
Seriously, Bergevin? He's been a GM for all of two (by all accounts successful) months and you're already certain he's a worse GM than Feaster?

Old
07-06-2012, 03:05 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatfist View Post
I don't get this thread (or why it's in this forum).

But, it's WAY too early to pass judgement on Feaster - or use his drafting record to support him. LOL at calling Bartschi the steal of the draft before 90% of the players have even played yet!

Not sure why this is in this forum either.

It's obviously too early to judge the 2011 draft for the long run. However, if you were to redo the draft today, Baetschi would probably go around #5.

http://*******************/articles/...2012-nhl-draft

Blearcher report has him ranked as 14th in the NHL, but that includes players from all recent draft years. There are really no other players from the 2011 draft who have moved up that quickly in their rankings. Sven may not be "the steal", but at 13, looks like a steal. The Flames essentially got a top prospect without having to tank to get it.

Given that Feaster managed to accomplish getting a tanking pick, without actually tanking, I'd say that's pretty solid GM work. The owners are not allowing a tank, so you can't judge him on that.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Fastasaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Three worst GM's in the league: (in no particular order)

Feaster
Snow (although he may just be a puppet)
Howson

Tallon climbed his way off that list with a surprisingly decent season for the Panthers.
How was Tallon ever on that list? He was the architect of the Hawks team that won the cup!

Old
07-06-2012, 03:40 PM
number72

As bad as Feaster is and he is, the team have been close to making the playoffs.
Burke and some of these other teams have never iced a "competitive" bubble team.

For that reason I remove Feaster from worst GM list (but he is still pretty bad nonetheless)

Old
07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
ChoseLa

I tought for long that Sather was the worst GM in the league, then he took my mighty Habs, bended them over the table and had his ways with them. So never be too sure about your GMs ratings.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:22 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamshells View Post
If Feaster is getting judged because the owners won't let him rebuild, Tambo is going to get judged because the owners won't let him win.

A good GM doesn't need to rely on lottery picks to rebuild a team.
Since your so uninformed check where edmonton's farm team finished. Then check where it finished the year before Tambellini and since every lottery pick is on the main team he must have rebuild with depth picks and signings.

Also feaster isnt being judge because owners wont let him rebuild. That is flame fans excuse for his performance. So it seems hypocritical to say well ownership wont let him rebuild and then slag Tambellini when ownership forced the team into a rebuild.

There was a post on page 1 or 2 and it said you cant judge just the standings. Is the team currently better after the new gm took over or worse. Or is the team have a better future.

Edmonton has gotten worse in the standings and has a better future. Calgary has gotten worse in the standings and still has a relatively bare prospect pool compared to most teams

Old
07-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Sabretip

Listening to Feaster on NHL Live yesterday was an exercise in head-scratching:

- In explaining his free agent strategy this summer, he recounted the Flames pitch to Brad Richards last summer. According to Feaster, Richards had to "give pause" in considering the Rangers or other offers after listening to the Flames offer. Feaster characterized that the Flames were the runner-up to getting Richards - which sounded like a huge stretch IMO.

- Feaster then said that, rather than put all their energies into going after the top free agents like Parise and Suter, they decided to chase hard the "next best players". He viewed Hudler as the 2nd best after Parise amongst UFA forwards and Wideman the 2nd best defenseman behind Suter.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:00 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesarmstrong22 View Post
@ mowsie

It didn't sting at all to see sutter win the cup, in fact I was happy for him that he won it and no one in Calgary ever doubted he wasnt a good coach (remember he was the coach who coached us to the cup final in 04) it was when he focused on being our gm he was awful. Awful gm, but he always was a good coach.
This.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:23 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
I think not trading Kipper and Iginla are good moves.

Generally, its hard to trade away the best players in the deal and "win" it.

Can't really judge Feaster on this year's offseason moves until we see how they do in the regular season. Draft picks are undetermined until they play in the NHL.
I don't agree with this at all.

So you're saying that keeping Jerome Iginla and Miika Kiprusoff for the remainder of their careers are good moves simply because the Flames are unlikely to get the better end of a deal?

Say these players play three more seasons in Calgary prior to retiring. In those years they bring zero championships to Calgary.

So both retire having not won a single championship in their respective careers and both retire obviously leaving two gaping holes in Calgary's line-up once they are gone.

Do you not think Iginla could've helped the LA Kings this past spring? Or the Bruins the season before? And while you may not have won the deal, you can still say that Jerome Iginla won a Stanley Cup in his career. And you can do so while adding some valuable (albeit less-valuable as he gets closer to retirement) assets in return for his services.

If the playoffs are a faint hope at the deadline every year, Jay Feaster is shooting the Calgary Flames in the foot holding on to his hand and waiting until the next season. That isn't a sign of a good General Manager.

Old
07-06-2012, 07:41 PM
oil4life14

so jealous right now wish we had a gm that would trade down in the draft and take a guy that is rated to go late 2nd round Why didn't tambo think of that?

Old
07-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Whoyawit*

Feaster used to be a decent GM.
Won a cup, ate his weight in chicken wings, got fired, hit his head, came to Calgary, is now the only employee in the Flames organization that dosn't have a NTC.
He's desperate to do something and is doing a great job at securing the fact that the Flames will not be winning any meaningful hockey games for years to come.
Congratulations!!

Closed Thread