HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 09:50 PM
  #326
tserberis*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
They aren't saying they got their info. from the Hockey Insider guy on twitter. They are saying that they literally got it from a hockey insider, as in an inside source associated with the NHL. I blame the poor Google translate.

Edit: My girlfriend speaks some Russian, she says in English it would read something like: A hockey insider has informed us that Nashville has increased its offer to Alexander Semin.
You right, Hockey Insider, but in different context, as a media source.

To be honest, the article is crap. We call it in Russian " ducky". I would not give it much attention.


But I am not saying that Nashville is not on him...

tserberis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
  #327
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,256
vCash: 500
The wingers in Nashville's system are only covering the defensemen joining the rush, which is about as simple as it gets. If they can hide a Radulov, Kariya, Sullivan or Dumont, they can cover Semin's deficiencies as well.

Centers get very little leniency with Trotz and with Trotz you cannot commit tones of avoidable turnovers in the neutral zone. Kariya and Sullivan were both straight up cherry pickers when they played for us yet neither ended up in Trotz’s doghouse because the produced and didn't commit a high number of turnovers. cover Radulov’s deficiencies leniency

Semin would be one of the best offensive players we've had in a Predators uniform, I'm all for it...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
  #328
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
I'd offer Semin 6 million for 3 years, no problem. I might go a little higher if I really needed to.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:20 AM
  #329
alexmanu
Registered User
 
alexmanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I'd offer Semin 6 million for 3 years, no problem. I might go a little higher if I really needed to.
Are we genuinely interested in Semin do you think or is this just pure speculation?

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:23 AM
  #330
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,256
vCash: 500
It's being reported we have made him an offer, other reports are saying we even increased the offer.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:25 AM
  #331
alexmanu
Registered User
 
alexmanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It's being reported we have made him an offer, other reports are saying we even increased the offer.
I'm cool with this..... also if we were to trade Colin Wilson maybe for a defensemen or someone I think we should get Langenbrunner, he can still do a job and is a good leader.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:51 AM
  #332
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
We should sign both SK and Semin to 3 year deals. When one of them disappears for a 3 week stretch, the other will be on and vice-versa. If we get lucky and they're both "on", we'll score 9 goals a game.

In all seriousness - a week ago I wouldn't have touched Semin with a 10 foot pole. But with the decent forward options all off the board, Suter gone - I don't see why not. It's a risk, absolutely, but with the transfer agreement he can't bolt on us, and the possible rewards at this point outweight the risks as I see it.

It's very likely Semin could put up Bobby Ryan type #'s without having to give up several key pieces of our future.

Sign Semin and then focus on finding that #2/#3 Dman to shore up the D (Jbo, Coliacovo?) and provide Josi insurance, and we'd be good to go.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:56 AM
  #333
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,570
vCash: 500
i agree raider. semin seems like a very viable option at this point. doan would be decent but we need someone with semin's skillset.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:32 AM
  #334
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
Kevin Allen with a dead on the money article on the Preds and Weber situation:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...act/56061542/1

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:39 AM
  #335
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Kevin Allen with a dead on the money article on the Preds and Weber situation:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...act/56061542/1
100% spot on.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
  #336
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,444
vCash: 500
Couldn't agree more.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:41 PM
  #337
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,533
vCash: 500
Not the biggest fan of his, but I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Semin. Just please don't give him a full NTC

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:46 PM
  #338
Everlong
Franchise Pillar
 
Everlong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,619
vCash: 500
I'm very concerned offering any kind of deal to Semin. The fact that Washington didn't want to re-sign him, and Detroit supposidly 'softening' their interest in him, raises some red flags. You've got to think he'll talk to Rads about Nashville aswell, which....probably won't go so well.

Far more interested in Doan if available. Works his but off, and a true leader.


Last edited by Everlong: 07-06-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: grammar
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
  #339
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Kevin Allen with a dead on the money article on the Preds and Weber situation:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...act/56061542/1
Funny how this is right on the money for how to handle the weber deal, but everyone scoffs that Poile should have given Suter the same ultimatum.

Poile got gun shy with Suter. Why are we to give the same bumbling fool the chance to screw the Weber deal too? We need to get a GM in here with some cojones.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:21 PM
  #340
Nitrous Mafia
Registered User
 
Nitrous Mafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Funny how this is right on the money for how to handle the weber deal, but everyone scoffs that Poile should have given Suter the same ultimatum.
plenty of people were saying that during the season.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:33 PM
  #341
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
plenty of people were saying that during the season.
More people were saying that you don't make the team worse during a cup run. This argument makes two false assumptions:

1. That we would have been worse - The return for Suter would have been a conglomerate of players, prospects, and picks that would have perhaps made us marginally worse defensively, but would have made us stronger in other areas not only for the "cup run", but for the coming years.

2. That we were in a cup run - That could be said for virtually any playoff team. It's a crapshoot once the playoffs start. Who would have thought the 8 seed who barely even made the playoffs would have gone all the way?

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:46 PM
  #342
RaiderDoug
Registered User
 
RaiderDoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Knoxville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
More people were saying that you don't make the team worse during a cup run. This argument makes two false assumptions:

1. That we would have been worse - The return for Suter would have been a conglomerate of players, prospects, and picks that would have perhaps made us marginally worse defensively, but would have made us stronger in other areas not only for the "cup run", but for the coming years.

2. That we were in a cup run - That could be said for virtually any playoff team. It's a crapshoot once the playoffs start. Who would have thought the 8 seed who barely even made the playoffs would have gone all the way?
1. Isn't that a possibly false assumption in itself? We could have traded Ryan Suter for several duds.

2. Then what's the big deal? We're very likely to make the playoffs this year, and if it's a total crapshoot - then our likelihood of winning a cup is exactly the same with Suter, without Suter, or with prospects gleaned from a Suter trade.

There's no guarantees. You roll the dice - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:59 PM
  #343
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
1. Isn't that a possibly false assumption in itself? We could have traded Ryan Suter for several duds.

2. Then what's the big deal? We're very likely to make the playoffs this year, and if it's a total crapshoot - then our likelihood of winning a cup is exactly the same with Suter, without Suter, or with prospects gleaned from a Suter trade.

There's no guarantees. You roll the dice - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
Several duds are better than nothing. And if you think all Poile would have gotten are duds, than that shows just how little faith you have in the GM everyone around here seems to be so smitten with.

Poile rolled the dice, he was naive when everyone (at least me) saw Suter's true intentions all along, and worse of all Poile exposed our future.

A small market team like us can't expose its future. If we can't re-sign our players, then we must maximize their value and restock the cupboards with equally talented, but younger players whose salary we can control for future years, and then if need be, do it again.

This keeps us from having to do total rebuilds, which is about where we are now. Sure, we can ice a competitive team that may finish somewhere between 7-11, but the worst possible outcome is spending the next 3 years finishing 9-12, never truly rebuilding and never truly competing.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:12 PM
  #344
alexmanu
Registered User
 
alexmanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
How do you guys think Wilson, Bourque and Smith will do next season? Unless something changes we could be counting on them to come up with the goods. I'm hoping Wilson has a breakout year, he has the potential to be a 50+ point scorer, maybe even 60+ just PLAY HIM IN THE TOP 6!!!! Hoping Smith can get 40-50 points and Bourque hmm maybe 30ish.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
  #345
Top 6 Spaling
Registered User
 
Top 6 Spaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 10,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
How do you guys think Wilson, Bourque and Smith will do next season? Unless something changes we could be counting on them to come up with the goods. I'm hoping Wilson has a breakout year, he has the potential to be a 50+ point scorer, maybe even 60+ just PLAY HIM IN THE TOP 6!!!! Hoping Smith can get 40-50 points and Bourque hmm maybe 30ish.
Depends on the rest of our moves. If we bring in no more forwards, they will get big minutes will good players and have awesome years. If we bring in Semin, Doan, Ryan, etc., they will be more limited. I expect Smith at Wilson to both flirt with or reach 20 goals, and Bourque to be a little lower, but better defenseively.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:21 PM
  #346
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,533
vCash: 500
I hope Trotz stops with the Smith to wing experiment. We need to groom him for a top 6 center position.

Bourque I'm gonna guess comes back down to earth. He was really riding that rookie wave.

Wilson is the wildcard. I could see anything happening with him: trade, demotion, stagnant, breakout, best player

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:42 PM
  #347
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
I'm very concerned offering any kind of deal to Semin. The fact that Washington didn't want to re-sign him, and Detroit supposidly 'softening' their interest in him, raises some red flags. You've got to think he'll talk to Rads about Nashville aswell, which....probably won't go so well.

Far more interested in Doan if available. Works his but off, and a true leader.
Is this going to be our answer to every Russian player now? Semin is way more talented and please don't use the headcase thing he's no more of a headcase than the diva arnott or Kariya...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:47 PM
  #348
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Several duds are better than nothing. And if you think all Poile would have gotten are duds, than that shows just how little faith you have in the GM everyone around here seems to be so smitten with.

Poile rolled the dice, he was naive when everyone (at least me) saw Suter's true intentions all along, and worse of all Poile exposed our future.

A small market team like us can't expose its future. If we can't re-sign our players, then we must maximize their value and restock the cupboards with equally talented, but younger players whose salary we can control for future years, and then if need be, do it again.

This keeps us from having to do total rebuilds, which is about where we are now. Sure, we can ice a competitive team that may finish somewhere between 7-11, but the worst possible outcome is spending the next 3 years finishing 9-12, never truly rebuilding and never truly competing.
So basically, draft well, develop players and relationships, team chemistry only to trade it away to maximize assets? Every player will then know that when they're drafted by Nashville it's only a matter of time before they are traded or can leave as a free agent. That's a sure fire way to destroy your franchise and lose your team to another city.

I agree we need to get things for our assets but when a guy says he's going to sign and then bails later on after the fact, what is the GM supposed to do? I'm sure Poile could've handled this better but at the same time, we had a very solid team heading into the playoffs and we thought a bulk of them would be returning, including Suter. Suter played Poile, plain and simple. You want to blame a guy for taking another one at his word, so be it but if trades Suter, he risks losing more assets later on down the line and we become the franchise no one wants to play for.

Simple solution, offer Weber a huge deal, get him locked up and move on. At that point, other players know we are committed to winning. Free agents will come to play here, our guys will continue to sign here and we will have a successful franchise.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:57 PM
  #349
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
So basically, draft well, develop players and relationships, team chemistry only to trade it away to maximize assets? Every player will then know that when they're drafted by Nashville it's only a matter of time before they are traded or can leave as a free agent. That's a sure fire way to destroy your franchise and lose your team to another city.
Your logic fails in the idea that every single player drafted by us would be traded to maximize assets. You don't always do it; just in the right cases where you cannot afford to lose a guy aka the Suter and Weber situations. Those guys are worth too much to let go.

Nashville locked up Legwand, Erat and Rinne for long terms. We haven't traded away everyone. But it is necessary sometimes and shouldn't mean you are automatically doomed.

Is Pittsburgh doomed now for trading Staal? They developed him and traded him away to maximize assets. Yet they also have locked up other assets who committed to the team. What about Boston with Phil Kessel?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:01 PM
  #350
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Your logic fails in the idea that every single player drafted by us would be traded to maximize assets. You don't always do it; just in the right cases where you cannot afford to lose a guy aka the Suter and Weber situations. Those guys are worth too much to let go.

Nashville locked up Legwand, Erat and Rinne for long terms. We haven't traded away everyone. But it is necessary sometimes and shouldn't mean you are automatically doomed.

Is Pittsburgh doomed now for trading Staal? They developed him and traded him away to maximize assets. Yet they also have locked up other assets who committed to the team. What about Boston with Phil Kessel?
I was being sarcastic in response to the other post.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.