HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Offseason Thread Part V: We're Comfortable With Our Defense

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Alexander Semin is better defensively than Jordan Staal. His career +/- told me so.
Then we have these red herrings and strawmen.

Ah **** it, I give up

Old
07-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Debatable but I'd rather see that payroll go somehow to improving the D as that's what's needed to really make the team better.
Agreed. But there is no physical D man to spend it on unfortunately.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:12 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
With Semin it's real easy:

- He left Washington because he wants a bigger role. He wants time on the PK. Washington refuses to give him that...because they watch him on a daily basis.

- Now he's hit free agency, looking for a big payday and a multi-year deal...while still looking for that increased role. He's making demands to teams amidst talks about him being a terrible lockerroom guy. Sounds like a great plan.

- It's telling when no team will give him that multi-year deal he's looking for. From what I understand, Pittsburgh and Detroit are willing to give him a 1-2 year deal (which makes sense, since they have some prominent Russian stars that Semin can communicate with and has played with), but Semin's looking for more years.

- Finally, there's still the possibility of the KHL. Who's to say if Semin does get that 3-4 year, multimillion dollar deal, he won't flee to Russia at the first sign of trouble? If the Canes sign him and start poorly, if he is an outcast in the lockerroom, what guarantee do we have that he won't take the money and run?
From what Caps' fans have said, he was fine on the PK. He was just offensive minded, and the Caps' run a more defensive minded one. Semin would work well on our PK is he had a center that could handle the heavy responsibilities (like Brandon Sutter ). A lot like how we used to have Staal-Cole, and they would vacate the defensive zone as if Don Cherry had declared that true Canadians don't play on the PK

And all we know is that he is looking for a multi year deal. I don't see anything wrong with a player who has hit UFA for the first time looking for a commitment from a team. And when a player is looking to strengthen an area of his game that was previously thought weak, isn't that a good thing?

And from what I have heard, we haven't heard any news because Semin is waiting for Nash to be dealt. Semin will get a multi-year deal from someone who needs forward help. It's only a matter of time.

You're right on the KHL. That is a risk that Nash won't carry. But if he really wanted to play for the KHL, he would sign there.

There is so much about Semin's bad rap that cannot be substantiated. That he is bad defensively. That he is a bad locker room guy. If JR believes those stories, and decides not to sign Semin based on them, then more power to him. But Semin won't cost us a boat load of assets to get.

Quote:
Yeah, and one plays for Columbus and the other plays for Washington. You don't see how that might have an effect on one's +/-?

Come on now, you're smarter than that.
I use that because I could probably count with my fingers how many times people on this board watch Rick Nash and Alex Semin when they are not playing the 'Canes.

For the record, I'm basing my opinion on Semin vs. Nash defensively based on what Caps and Jackets fans say. Caps fans say that he is underrated on HF defensively and that he was put in the doghouse under BB. And Jackets' fans say that Nash is fairly mediocre defensively, but also unreliable (much like a certain franchise center we all know and love). He won't beat the world, but he won't be a liability on the top line.

I just use +/- to illustrate that, in the only purely defensive statistic, Semin beats Nash. AINEC, context be damned.

It's always interesting when stats fly in the face the wildly popular opinion of this website.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
And that's really the crux of the argument? Who's better defensively?

I'll take an upgrade on D over either Nash or Semin, regardless of which is better defensively.
No, the crux of my argument is that we need talent, and Semin won't cost assets to get.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:13 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Anton View Post
Agreed. But there is no physical D man to spend it on unfortunately.
Not as a UFA but I was advocating a trade. Picks/prospects for a D on a cap-strapped team or someone who's become expendable due to signings. Or Pitkanen where the need is a PMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Tripps View Post
No, the crux of my argument is that we need talent, and Semin won't cost assets to get.
Which explains why you were simplifying the argument to points and +/-? Ok, got it.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Sorry, it felt appropriate.

Closed Thread