HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Predators Off-Season 2012 Thread - Part II

Old
07-06-2012, 04:08 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Several duds are better than nothing.
Actually, several duds would be equal to nothing. That's what a dud is -- nothing.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Your logic fails in the idea that every single player drafted by us would be traded to maximize assets. You don't always do it; just in the right cases where you cannot afford to lose a guy aka the Suter and Weber situations. Those guys are worth too much to let go.

Nashville locked up Legwand, Erat and Rinne for long terms. We haven't traded away everyone. But it is necessary sometimes and shouldn't mean you are automatically doomed.

Is Pittsburgh doomed now for trading Staal? They developed him and traded him away to maximize assets. Yet they also have locked up other assets who committed to the team. What about Boston with Phil Kessel?
Penguins are in a vastly different situation with the two best centers in the game being ahead of Staal on the depth chart, and at least one of them locked up for a very long time.

Last off-season, hardly anybody advocated trading Suter because the focus was completely on Weber and his one-year arbitration deal and unwillingness to sign long-term. At the time, Suter became the one we were focused on keeping, since everybody figured Shea was going to be dealt, offer sheeted or gone in 2 years (and he still probably will be).

Sure, it's probably the right decision in retrospect to have dealt him (without considering the effect that would have had on the rest of the season), but that sentiment sure wasn't prevalent around here 11 months ago.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Is this going to be our answer to every Russian player now? Semin is way more talented and please don't use the headcase thing he's no more of a headcase than the diva arnott or Kariya...
He's an elite player when he has other equally talented players around him. Not to say the Preds aren't talented, but he was playing with the likes of Backstrom. I just don't see him as someone who will be able to step up his game, and be able to do the extra little things to be as dominant with the Preds.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Penguins are in a vastly different situation with the two best centers in the game being ahead of Staal on the depth chart, and at least one of them locked up for a very long time.

Last off-season, hardly anybody advocated trading Suter because the focus was completely on Weber and his one-year arbitration deal and unwillingness to sign long-term. At the time, Suter became the one we were focused on keeping, since everybody figured Shea was going to be dealt, offer sheeted or gone in 2 years (and he still probably will be).

Sure, it's probably the right decision in retrospect to have dealt him (without considering the effect that would have had on the rest of the season), but that sentiment sure wasn't prevalent around here 11 months ago.
I disagree on Pittsburgh. In Pittsburgh's case, it actually makes more sense to keep Staal during the year because they can afford to lose a player like him due to having Malkin and Crosby. It doesn't matter about your depth chart. If the player refuses to sign a long term deal and is a year away from UFA that has to be when you start looking at maximizing assets. At least that is my opinion

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I disagree on Pittsburgh. In Pittsburgh's case, it actually makes more sense to keep Staal during the year because they can afford to lose a player like him due to having Malkin and Crosby. It doesn't matter about your depth chart. If the player refuses to sign a long term deal and is a year away from UFA that has to be when you start looking at maximizing assets. At least that is my opinion
Fair enough. I tend to prefer trying to see a team put its best team out there over trying to maximize assets, but I can understand the perspective. So, for me, Pittsburgh can make a move like that as trading Staal doesn't really cause them to miss a step, while trading Suter would likely have had a pretty big impact on our team's performance.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Fair enough. I tend to prefer trying to see a team put its best team out there over trying to maximize assets, but I can understand the perspective. So, for me, Pittsburgh can make a move like that as trading Staal doesn't really cause them to miss a step, while trading Suter would likely have had a pretty big impact on our team's performance.
This is my thought process as well. Pittsburgh trading Staal made more sense because his talents were being wasted on the 3rd line, and the cost to re-sign him as your depth centerman was not worth it. They can sell him off and still be just as dominant.

Suter, on the other hand, was on our top pairing and an integral part of the team. Trading him means major overhaul for us and we likely take several steps backwards.

I wish we had Pittsburgh's depth so we could afford to sell off extra depth pieces for nice packages! In fact that is exactly what we did with Lindback. Our D depth is not as strong though.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Interesting thing Poile just mentioned on the radio. Wilson has the same agent as Suter, so contract talks about Wilson are a little awkward and slow going.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Interesting thing Poile just mentioned on the radio. Wilson has the same agent as Suter, so contract talks about Wilson are a little awkward and slow going.
Ugh, bloody hell, we can't catch a break for **** right now.

Old
07-06-2012, 05:32 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Difference is that Wilson is an RFA, so we'll definitely lock him up. Poile prolly is still pissed at Sheehy.

alexmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:

awesome

i quit

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:34 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
I'm sure the awkward contract talks have less to due with Suter and more to do with the fact that the agent's client is the official organization's whipping boy. If Poile is having trouble negotiations maybe he needs to ask his coach why Wilson can't sniff the ice in the playoffs.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:36 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Trading him means major overhaul for us and we likely take several steps backwards.
Losing him for nothing means a greater overhaul and we'll likely take even more steps backward.

At least we have that 2nd round trophy banner to raise at the bridge though.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Losing him for nothing means a greater overhaul and we'll likely take even more steps backward.

At least we have that 2nd round trophy banner to raise at the bridge though.
Difference is at least we tried to win some hockey games first while we still had a strong team, rather than just giving up before it started and crying in the corner.

Aren't we having this conversation in about 3 other threads?

Old
07-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
He better feel guilty and negotiate a dirt cheap deal.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:04 PM
braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
Actually, several duds would be equal to nothing. That's what a dud is -- nothing.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Jets fan coming in peace.

What do you guys think about Craig Smith? He definitely seems like a guy who has some very solid offensive potential. I'd be interested in potentially putting him on the 2nd RW spot in Winnipeg. Would you at all be interested in moving him?

And if so for what?

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:46 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

What do you guys think about Craig Smith? He definitely seems like a guy who has some very solid offensive potential. I'd be interested in potentially putting him on the 2nd RW spot in Winnipeg. Would you at all be interested in moving him?

And if so for what?
Doubt we're too keen on moving him. He was impressive in his rookie season until he ran out of gas, which isn't too uncommon for a college player in his first pro season. If we were to move him to the Jets, it would be for Enstrom.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broom of the System View Post
Doubt we're too keen on moving him. He was impressive in his rookie season until he ran out of gas, which isn't too uncommon for a college player in his first pro season. If we were to move him to the Jets, it would be for Enstrom.
That's not entirely out of the question.

Although, I'm a big fan of Enstrom's and I am not at all part of the pro trade him crowd.

I'm also wondering what a lot of your thoughts are for the upcoming season (and those beyond.) I know losing Suter must feel like a punch to the gut right now. I feel very sorry for your loss. Do you think Poile is looking to make another run at the cup and potentially trade some youth (Wilson, Smith, etc.) to try and recuperate the losses? Or is he potentially going look up the options (and dare I say it) trade Weber?

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:35 AM
PhoneGuy

My guess would be that GMDP tries to find a vet d-man via trade. Don't know who he's willing to part with. I would hope he wouldn't trade any of our young guns, but it all depends on the player he's targeting and that team's demands are.

IMHO, either Webs signs a monster deal early, or he gets dealt. I don't think Poile is going to get burned again like he did with Suter. If he does wait and gets burned again, then he needs to retire on the same day Webs signs with another team.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:51 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post

And if so for what?
Evander Kane?

Obviously it would be Smith+. Maybe Smith++.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Soundgarden

I would really hate if we traded our forward prospects/young guns for more defense. I think we should either sign an UFA or trade Blum + picks + minor forwards.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Smith is going no where. We need ONE center, and it could be Craig Smith. Unless he takes dramatic steps backward this coming season I don't see him as part of a package at all. Unless, of course, that package is getting a 1C in return. Honey Badger is safe.

(I hope this comment doesn't come back to bite me)

Last edited by TMI: 07-07-2012 at 01:06 PM.
TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:02 PM
ilikeblocks

What do you guys think of shipping Colin Wilson to Toronto since Burke has a man crush on him? If we could get Jake G, it might be worth it.

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:08 PM
ilikeblocks

Also, as we near the 7/8 deadline, is Doan a possibility? Grit, scoring, and leadership for a decent price tag (4 mil?).

ilikeblocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 01:16 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeblocks View Post
Also, as we near the 7/8 deadline, is Doan a possibility? Grit, scoring, and leadership for a decent price tag (4 mil?).
I can tell you this much, if Doan does decide to leave Phoenix you're likely way off on the price tag. I'd wager plenty of teams would be happy to give him 5+.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote