Notices

Dallas Stars sign Radek Faksa to an Entry Level Contract

Old
07-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Fly Like a C5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I did think of another good example for reasons to not rush a guy to the AHL: Tomas Tatar. He was drafted by Detroit and immediately sent to the AHL. With 3 full seasons in the AHL he's only played 9 NHL games, and he's not exactly tearing up the AHL offensively.
I don't know that Tatar is a great example. He was tied for the scoring lead (1st in goal scoring) in Grand Rapids this past season. He may have only 9 NHL games under his belt, but Detroit doesn't rush their prospects.

In general I think its better for the more offensively oriented prospects to stay in the CHL and focus on further developing their skills against players their own age. Defensemen and goalies would probably benefit more from an early jump to the AHL. Get them use to bigger/stronger/faster/ players. Players like Campbell and Oleksiak will benefit from being able to jump into the AHL early. There are also some players who do well going straight into the AHL from the draft. Voynov has developed very well for LA despite playing in the AHL as a teenager.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:16 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
Players like Campbell and Oleksiak will benefit from being able to jump into the AHL early. There are also some players who do well going straight into the AHL from the draft. Voynov has developed very well for LA despite playing in the AHL as a teenager.
Are you saying they would have? Neither one is going to the AHL early right now. Oleksiak (like Vincour) is a late birth so this is the year he would have been going pro had he been drafted out of the CHL. Campbell spent two years in the CHL, and this would be the year he would have gone pro too had he been a CHL draft pick.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Alistar

Players should be moved up to the highest level of competition for which they are able to play at as soon as possible. I hate that stupid rule the CHL has where players can't go to the AHL until they are 20 years old, and I'm glad Dallas has found a way to get around it with some of their prospects.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:28 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Players should be moved up to the highest level of competition for which they are able to play at as soon as possible. I hate that stupid rule the CHL has where players can't go to the AHL until they are 20 years old, and I'm glad Dallas has found a way to get around it with some of their prospects.
They don't. I can't think of one example of them doing that.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:36 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
If that stupid rule didn't exist, all of the top players drafted out of the three leagues would play elsewhere, and the CHL as we know it today would be largely ineffective for preparing players for the NHL.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Fly Like a C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Are you saying they would have? Neither one is going to the AHL early right now. Oleksiak (like Vincour) is a late birth so this is the year he would have been going pro had he been drafted out of the CHL. Campbell spent two years in the CHL, and this would be the year he would have gone pro too had he been a CHL draft pick.
Yeah that was a brain fart on my part. I think both guys would have benefited from heading to the AHL rather than playing in the CHL.

Fly Like a C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
If that stupid rule didn't exist, all of the top players drafted out of the three leagues would play elsewhere, and the CHL as we know it today would be largely ineffective for preparing players for the NHL.
I don't think it's a bad league at all. In Faksa's case he was a rookie in the OHL last year so another year on the Rangers will be good for him, he has room to grow still in that league. Kitchener is a very solid factory for turning out prospects. I think in Faksa's case he is best servered by one more year in the OHL. If he was like Couturier was last season going into the 2011 draft (in his 3rd year in the CHL) I would 100% agree with you.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:41 PM
ryangib

Just saw the video Kevin weeks tweeted. This kids story that was on tsn. It was really moving, and I had no idea about it till saw the video. I'm really pulling for him. Sounds like his family could really use the money. I'm really happy he was drafted and that he seems promising. I wish you guys luck this year.

ryangib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 05:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
Just saw the video Kevin weeks tweeted. This kids story that was on tsn. It was really moving, and I had no idea about it till saw the video. I'm really pulling for him. Sounds like his family could really use the money. I'm really happy he was drafted and that he seems promising. I wish you guys luck this year.
It's a really inspiring story and he's a great kid. You can't help but pull for him!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:49 PM
pocketful
"We'll see"

I'm really excited that Faksa has signed an ELC with the Dallas Stars. I've been his fan from the day I first heard of him; watching his back story on TSN just further cemented it. It makes me really happy that his dreams of playing in the NHL are coming true.

I hope he plays 9 games and then goes back to the CHL. I do think that one more year in the CHL will help his development as I don't believe he is quite ready for the NHL yet. Those 9 games he plays will help him identify the things he needs to work on in the CHL and I fully expect him to dominate the CHL next season.

In any case, good luck with the kid and please take good care of him!

pocketful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Well, now we all know why he was signed to an ELC so quickly.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:28 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Well, now we all know why he was signed to an ELC so quickly.
While I get you were joking, it is a perfect situation. He'd be an excellent short term option since 9 games would allow him to play all the scheduled games in October. If Roy was able to return right at the first of November, you'd have a seamless transition. Otherwise, Glennie might take a few games in November to bridge the gap.

I don't think they'll just hand him that opportunity. IMO, he'll have to hold off Glennie and Wandell.

Old
07-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Rune Forumwalker

I agree it's the perfect opportunity, but I'm not sure the organization would do it based on past history of handling prospects.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote